Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Seeking advice: Salah in workplace

Salaam brothers and sisters,

Hope all is well with you.

I am in a bit of a difficult situation at the moment and I am looking for some advice in regards to my problem.

I currently got a new job, but I simply can't pray at my workplace nor anywhere around it due to reasons that I would not like to discuss.

I have searched on the internet for other people with similar problems and I can number few solutions that I have seen.

1. I should have explained in the interview about my needs to pray before getting the job.
    2. See if I can combine my prayers (Zuhr and Asr/ Maghrib and Isha) but I can't because I go to work at 7.30 AM till 6.30 PM.
    3. I should speak to management and ask for a place to pray.
    4. If management can not provide that for me, I should look for a new job because salaat is more important than a job.

Now let's say that solutions 1, 2, 3 and 4 are not good for me at the moment due to the financial crisis and family issues I am heavily struggling with (it's literally a matter of survival), what else is there for me?

Is it acceptable to pray Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha altogether when I come home from work, and then pray to Allah for forgiveness and pray that he accepts my prayers until I am able to look for another job? Which might take a year....

Your advice and opinions will be highly appreciated....

May Allah guide us all and be with us all at all times.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2043 Post(s)

Re: Seeking advice

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueOne View Post

I am in a bit of a difficult situation at the moment and I am looking for some advice in regards to my problem.

I currently got a new job, but I simply can't pray at my workplace nor anywhere around it due to reasons that I would not like to discuss.

I have searched on the internet for other people with similar problems and I can number few solutions that I have seen.

1. I should have explained in the interview about my needs to pray before getting the job.
    2. See if I can combine my prayers (Zuhr and Asr/ Maghrib and Isha) but I can't because I go to work at 7.30 AM till 6.30 PM.
    4. If management can not provide that for me, I should look for a new job because salaat is more important than a job.

Now let's say that solutions 1, 2, 3 and 4 are not good for me at the moment due to the financial crisis and family issues I am heavily struggling with (it's literally a matter of survival), what else is there for me?

Is it acceptable to pray Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha altogether when I come home from work, and then pray to Allah for forgiveness and pray that he accepts my prayers until I am able to look for another job? Which might take a year....

Bring a prayer mat and bottles of water to make wudhu, pray at a staircase place or somewhere secluded?
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|•.•) Hello, Assalamu Alaikum! Check out this topic! #makethechanges
    ┳┻|⊂ノ
    ┻┳|
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...adan-Authentic

a muslim in a odd place HelloEverybody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)

I would go for 4.

Something like this will eat you up inside ... taking a place in hell, just because you can participate some stupid rat race.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quoted
    752 Post(s)

Re: Seeking advice: Salah in workplace

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueOne View Post

Inshallah try your best, Sincerely as Allah sees our intention and action and Allah will open you a way . Try at is said to take a prayer mat and do wudu . Maximum what you could delay is Dhur untill its last time and follow it with asr . and Maghrib on its time. This could be done only IN CASE its VVVery difficult or impossible for you to allot separate time for Dhur and Asar ( better than missing both altogether or doing qadha altogether) or else it salah 's right to be prayed on their respective timings.

May Allah ease your problems, ameen
    Last edited by talibilm09; 05-11-17 at 02:43 PM.
    My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Odan
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    790 Post(s)

This forum is not full of scholars, I don't understand why people pose such questions here.

Anyway the majority of workplaces are okay with someone praying. Ask your management, I doubt they will refuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Salaam brother,

I’m not going to say anything official here, just how I handled the similar problem I had as you. I bring a bottle for wudu at my desk. If I can’t find an appropriate spot to salah, I do it at my desk while sitting on my chair then secure it later when I get home. I usually find an empty conference room and do it there worst case scenario you can do your salah by your car near a secluded parking spot.

Ps bring your own prayer mat and have the right intentions and you’ll be alright best of luck bro!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)

Walaykum asalam

You cant combine all those prayers. Best to speak to management. And If you tell us what the nature of the job is we might be able to give other suggestions.

I used to work at a takeaway when I was a teenager. There was literally nowhere to pray so I would go to a clothes shop nearby and pray in the changing rooms. Desperate times...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Don't you have a break or lunch break?

Aren't there any other Muslims working there and if so how and where do they pray when at work?

I don't know what country so don't know if you can get help if you don't have a job until you find a better job where you can pray.

It's a bit difficult for someone to advise you as you haven't given reasons why you can't pray at work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

In my workplace there's loads of Muslims, both males with fashionable beards and females with fashionable hijabs.

It's difficult when they don't pray or if they do, the just make up the prayers at home.

Most of them are brillos btw.
    Last edited by SammySam; 05-11-17 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

Is there nowhere at all that u can possibly think of?
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

Also don't sacrifice your deen for earnings cos you will soon find those earnings slipping right through ur hands
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

If you're doing 10 hour shifts you should be getting breaks. Try to fit your salat in there. My last job was in a titchy shop in a station with no back of house. I had to pray in the public waiting room which was scary, but jahannam is more scary. If there was no space in there, then I just prayed in a corner on the platform. I don't know what country you live in but I don't think management can stop you praying in the UK unless it's causing a disruption. Being the highly anxious person I am, i was always worried the managers would say no but surprisingly, none have ever had an issue. One even asked the other Muslim girl why she didn't pray! Just do the minimum required then they can't use the disruption argument. You can get good foldaway salat mats on eBay that fit in your pocket. And little foldaway bottles for istinja.

As a previous poster said, pretend you're using a fitting room in a clothes shop. When I worked in a department store, we'd have brothers just putting their jackets down in a corner of the shop and praying there and no one had an issue. Well no one who wasn't just obnoxious to Muslims anyway. Find a shop with Muslim staff if you can. I was always smuggling sisters into the fitting rooms for salat lol.

Use a corridor or a corner of the staff canteen if you have one.

If you think your manager will make an issue about it join a union if you can (not GMB if you're in the UK cos they suck). Find out what your legal rights are regards to being allowed to take prayer breaks. If you have to compromise by having the time taken out of your lunch breaks then khayr, although toilet breaks don't so I don't see why prayer breaks should.

/ramble over
    Islamic Prints
    ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
    PALEO!

Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    354 Post(s)

Wa 'alaykum as-salam,

I'm surprised you're still there brother.

As has already been suggested, it would be good for you to speak to management. Explain to them that it only takes a little time to pray and that this is something you HAVE to do.

You can also consider dividing your lunch break- if they don't let you take an extra break. People usually take extra breaks throughout the day though, usually to either smoke a cigarette or to go to the toilet.

Make plenty of du'aa' and may Allah make it easy for you.
    ~‘And He will provide him from (sources) he could never imagine. And whoever puts their trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allah has set a measure for all things.’~ - سورة الطلاق : 3