Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)

Why do parents prioritize their son's islamic education over their daughter's?

Why?
    إن الصلاة تنهى عن الفحشاء والمنكر

Odan
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    790 Post(s)

Re: Why do parents prioritize their son's islamic education over their daughter's?

Its quite the opposite in my family.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Re: Why do parents prioritize their son's islamic education over their daughter's?

Which parents?

Most parents I know have encouraged Islamic education for their daughters.

Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by islamuslim View Post
    Why?
    Depends on what level, though when I first reverted there were still masaajid which would not allow girls to go to madrasah, this is something I've not seen for over a decade however when it comes to later years then yes it is part of Muslim societies general problem with discouraging women from learning about the deen.

I would say this is worse in some sections of the Muslim community, but not confined to them.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

If we go back just 5-10 years back, there were no proper Islamic institution exist for females, everyone have only the option to send their daughters to Massajids in early age. In which they are only able to complete the basics of Islam and Reading of Quran Shareef. Now the scenario is somewhat changed specially in Islamic countries. A good number of Female Maddaris established for professional degrees.

However, all this is still i am thinking insufficient, we have to consider more opportunities, so as our sisters and daughters will also get the complete education at their doorsteps.

Sukeria
    I want to Learn Islam!!

Odan
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    542 Post(s)

My aunt told us recently how she was very good at memorizing quran when she was young and her teacher asked my grandfather to send her for hafizi because he thinks she had the brain power to hand it. My grandpa didn't not send her and his reasoning was, "I don't know what her future holds, what type of family she will be married into? What if they are so strict in house chores that she doesn't get any spare time to continue her education in Quran study or keep up with what she already learned. Then she will get more sin by not utilizing what she to sustain that knowledge."

This is the main reason most parents don't prioritize their daughters education whether its be secular or Islamic. They don't have any control of her future, her husband will. They will give the basic but anything above the basic creates a baggage. Same baggage a girl with degree has. The difficulty in finding someone as educated as her, difficulty in finding someone who will give her the opportunity to continue the study or use what she learned by teaching others...etc.. When it comes to girl child parents are worried, worried about putting too much responsibility on her that she can't keep up after marriage. With son atleast the son has control of his life & is not at the mercy of the girl he marries.

Odan
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1557 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kya View Post
    My aunt told us recently how she was very good at memorizing quran when she was young and her teacher asked my grandfather to send her for hafizi because he thinks she had the brain power to hand it. My grandpa didn't not send her and his reasoning was, "I don't know what her future holds, what type of family she will be married into? What if they are so strict in house chores that she doesn't get any spare time to continue her education in Quran study or keep up with what she already learned. Then she will get more sin by not utilizing what she to sustain that knowledge."

This is the main reason most parents don't prioritize their daughters education whether its be secular or Islamic. They don't have any control of her future, her husband will. They will give the basic but anything above the basic creates a baggage. Same baggage a girl with degree has. The difficulty in finding someone as educated as her, difficulty in finding someone who will give her the opportunity to continue the study or use what she learned by teaching others...etc.. When it comes to girl child parents are worried, worried about putting too much responsibility on her that she can't keep up after marriage. With son atleast the son has control of his life & is not at the mercy of the girl he marries.
    " Put a man in school and he has knowledge that he can benefit for himself. Put a woman in school and she has knowledge, and she ends up benefitting herself and her children"

I'm not urdu, but I've heard about this urdu saying from a lecture. I thought this quote makes a lot of sense.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I've seen quite the opposite actually.

Anyway the parents will lose out on the deeds their daughters collect for them had they prioritized their islamic education too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)

I was being ungrateful when I made this thread, astaghfirgullah. I know my parents have done a lot for us girls alhamdulillah but I can't help but compare myself to my brothers. Yes we all went/go to an islamic school, we all went to Jordan and Egypt for Qur'an and Arabic, but I've always seen my parents push my brothers while they were more lenient with us. My brother and I started hifdh together but he's been a hafidh for almost 3 years now and I'm still only halfway there. Baba always sought teachers for him and pushed him to memorize while I was only praised for doing it out my own free will. I know their dream is to have their sons become imaams/scholars but it kinda hurts you know. Ok I'm just ranting now so I'll stop.

Quote Originally Posted by nudgetheputri View Post
    " Put a man in school and he has knowledge that he can benefit for himself. Put a woman in school and she has knowledge, and she ends up benefitting herself and her children"

I'm not urdu, but I've heard about this urdu saying from a lecture. I thought this quote makes a lot of sense.
    Exactly
    إن الصلاة تنهى عن الفحشاء والمنكر