Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3694 Post(s)

'investing' in your wife, an example from the life of sheikh ibn uthaymeen

From an interview with the wife of ibn uthaymeen

Is there anything that the Shaykh asked you to do that seemed strange and made you feel hesitant?

Answer: It may be unknown to most that I was illiterate and did not receive any kind of formal education. When I married the Shaykh, I was fully busy in his service and in providing him the correct, comfortable environment to seek knowledge and teach. After we had our children, I was busy with them, and it took all my time to raise them, in addition to the time I used to spend to help and support the Shaykh in seeking knowledge. After the children grew up and my responsibilities began to ease slightly, I was surprised that the Shaykh began to incite me to join the senior school i.e. for the elderly. Although hesitant at first, I decided to join. During this period, he followed my achievements and would not accept any of my sons signing my transcripts of record. He would say,

“I am the one to sign for all that relates to your academic achievements.”
    This moment of learning is a period that cannot be forgotten by me due to its great, innumerable benefits.

“Al-Mutamayyizah” Magazine Issue No. 45, Ramadhan, 1427. Confirmed & Presented in English by Dr. Saleh As-Saleh.
    شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
    فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
    وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
    ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

On A Hired Plane of Logic LailaTheMuslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2672 Post(s)

Re: 'investing' in your wife, an example from the life of sheikh ibn uthaymeen

Quote Originally Posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
    Ok , so allow us to entertain what your views entail.

The great Shaykh oppressed his wife by making her serve him when that is not obligatory for her , and he prevented her from Islamic knowledge based on her illiteracy. How could an educated scholar ever do such a thing? Did he not know that the only way she could access a sufficient amount of beneficial knowledge in this day and age is through the reading of books? Alhamdulillah that he did eventually recommend her learning how to read - and it is only during this stage where she actually comprehended his Fiqh positions - because she obviously needed to read about his positions , in order to know what his positions actually were. Too bad shes too old , and the Ilm she taught her children as they were growing up must have been falsehood , because she didn't know how to read , and therefore was ignorant of her husbands scholarly positions.

Na'am.
    The way you worded it is offensive to my argument, which has been echoed by other comments here.

This is really saddening to see as I thought you were a more respectful and humble individual, but someone disagrees with you - or better yet, someone who you think you can pick on disagrees with you and your real behaviour comes out.

Lastly, I never said the Shaykh oppressed his wife. I also didn't even think that he prevented his wife from Islamic knowledge, from her comments it seems she wasn't taught to read and write before her marriage.

I think I've made it very clear from the beginning what my thoughts were on this topic - it doesn't need to be made any clearer, or distorted.
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8065 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
    She's required to obey, but that doesn't necessarily mean serving, like house work. Obviously in a relationship you have arrangements for this, but I recall Islamqa concluding that its not an obligation for the wife.

Which scholar said a wife is supposed to serve her husband with household work akhi?

Secondly, I had quoted a hadith that encouraged the education of slave girls, honestly if you don't educate your illiterate wife whilst your a renowned teacher/scholar its confusing.
    perfect recipe for divorce.

No wonder divorce rates are so high in the west , even amongst muslims.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)

What I want to know is in which way did the Shaykh "invest" in his wife during all those years when she was investing all her time, energy and love in serving him and raising his children?

Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2672 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noobz View Post
    perfect recipe for divorce.

No wonder divorce rates are so high in the west , even amongst muslims.
    The sentence following makes sense of this, in a relationship you can arrange for stuff like how housework should be done.
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Necessary

nec·es·sar·y (nĕs′ĭ-sĕr′ē)
    adj.
    1. Needed or required: a contract complete with the necessary signatures; conditions necessary to life. See Synonyms at indispensable.
    a. Unavoidably determined by prior conditions or circumstances; inevitable: the necessary results of overindulgence.
    b. Logically inevitable: a necessary conclusion.
    3. Required by obligation, compulsion, or convention: made the necessary apologies.
    n. pl. nec·es·sar·ies
    Something indispensable.
    I dont care about the dictionary
    In sharia necessary does not mean fardh

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1753 Post(s)

The way you worded it is offensive to my argument, which has been echoed by other comments here.

This is really saddening to see as I thought you were a more respectful and humble individual, but someone disagrees with you - or better yet, someone who you think you can pick on disagrees with you and your real behaviour comes out.

Lastly, I never said the Shaykh oppressed his wife. I also didn't even think that he prevented his wife from Islamic knowledge, from her comments it seems she wasn't taught to read and write before her marriage.

I think I've made it very clear from the beginning what my thoughts were on this topic - it doesn't need to be made any clearer, or distorted.
    I do not mind anyone disagreeing with me , so long as they present a consistent case with a specific point which is reasoned conclusively.

1) It is not Wajib to learn how to read and write.

Therefore criticizing the Shaykh is disrespectful of you on multiple grounds.

a) It is not a necessity ( i.e obligatory ) , in order to gain sound Islamic Knowledge. ( I guarantee she excels you in Islamic knowledge prior to her elderly years )
    b) It is a false assumption to assume that the shaykh would not teach her anything of sound Islamic ilm , and she only learned his Fiqh positions in her elderly years ( As you have claimed the possibility yourself ). This idea is so preposterous , that the fact that you yourself do not notice how ridiculous that is only shows that you are a feminist with an objective.

2) Regarding a women serving her husband and defining it as 'household chores' I have a few points which are unaddressed.

a) It is a position of scholars that she should serve her husband as to the norms of society. Do you know what this means?
    b) What if her husband commands her to do such? Is she allowed to refuse? (Your refusal to answer this point leaves me wondering)
    c) In the case of this woman her husband is a scholar. You do not marry a scholar unless you are going to serve him. That's how you assist him. If you don't acknowledge this , you are illogical.
    Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 01-11-17 at 02:14 AM.

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1753 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
    I dont care about the dictionary
    In sharia necessary does not mean fardh
    What is the Arabic translation of "Necessary" ?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juwairiyyah View Post
    What I want to know is in which way did the Shaykh "invest" in his wife during all those years when she was investing all her time, energy and love in serving him and raising his children?
    Ask the op

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)

What is the Arabic translation of "Necessary" ?
    I dont know u tell me but in sharia in doesnt mean fardh thats for sure

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1753 Post(s)

I dont know u tell me but in sharia in doesnt mean fardh thats for sure
    What does Fardh mean in english?

(Why you are trying to argue this point is beyond me , but ok )

Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5580 Post(s)

Perhaps she was only able to do this after going to literacy classes. Its very hard to learn Islam without literacy at this time or the 20th century.
    Generally yes but considering she was married to a scholar, it's very likely the quote meant the shaykh taught her about everyday fiqh issues concerning her and her children.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1441 Post(s)

Why does it matter? Not sure if it's intentional, but your tone sounds demeaning. This is a scholar of Islam.

Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2672 Post(s)

I do not mind anyone disagreeing with me , so long as they present a consistent case with a specific point which is reasoned conclusively.

1) It is not Wajib to learn how to read and write.

Therefore criticizing the Shaykh is disrespectful of you on multiple grounds.

a) It is not a necessity ( i.e obligatory ) , in order to gain sound Islamic Knowledge. ( I guarantee she excels you in Islamic knowledge prior to her elderly years )
    b) It is a false assumption to assume that the shaykh would not teach her anything of sound Islamic ilm , and she only learned his Fiqh positions in her elderly years ( As you have claimed the possibility yourself ). This idea is so preposterous , that the fact that you yourself do not notice how ridiculous that is only shows that you are a feminist with an objective.

2) Regarding a women serving her husband and defining it as 'household chores' I have a few points which are unaddressed.

a) It is a position of scholars that she should serve her husband as to the norms of society. Do you know what this means?
    b) What if her husband commands her to do such? Is she allowed to refuse? (Your refusal to answer this point leaves me wondering)
    c) In the case of this woman her husband is a scholar. You do not marry a scholar unless you are going to serve him. That's how you assist him. If you don't acknowledge this , you are illogical.
    I was finished arguing here. More accusations...the worst being that because I believe in literacy as a necessity, it makes me a 'feminist with an objective'. Your words, and your deeds.

Please read your own comments and if its not obviously veering on slander and contradictions to you, then what can I say that I haven't repeated to you here?

Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5580 Post(s)

Ibn Uthaymeen was among the greatest scholars of the 20th century and she shares in the rewards of his good deeds.

When you look at it that way, her investment was greater than any 9-5 literate career lady.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .khayriyyah. View Post
    Why does it matter? Not sure if it's intentional, but your tone sounds demeaning. This is a scholar of Islam.
    How is it demeaning? The OP brought this topic up.

Yes, the Shaykh is a scholar. No one is denying or criticizing his contribution to Islam, but he is also a human being, he's bound to have flaws. Let's not put people on a pedestal and think that's just because someone is knowledgeable in Islam, everything he does is correct and praise-worthy.

Mentioned
    1117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16454 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samsandman View Post
    first statement: the Quran was written down in the life time of The Prophet sallahu alayhi wasalam,TRUE and daleel has been brought forward by the sister,thank you
    Notice the AND and not BECAUSE between the first and second statement in the above quote

second statement: it was written in full book form as they feared it would be lost due to the number many huffaz being killed,TRUE as per hadith brought forward by me

third statement: it was widely circulated in book form during the reign of khalif Uthman ra,TRUE as per hadith below

Sahih Bukhari
    Narrated Anas bin Malik:
    Hudhaifa bin Al-Yaman came to `Uthman at the time when the people of Sham and the people of Iraq were Waging war to conquer Arminya and Adharbijan. Hudhaifa was afraid of their (the people of Sham and Iraq) differences in the recitation of the Qur'an, so he said to `Uthman, "O chief of the Believers! Save this nation before they differ about the Book (Qur'an) as Jews and the Christians did before." So `Uthman sent a message to Hafsa saying, "Send us the manuscripts of the Qur'an so that we may compile the Qur'anic materials in perfect copies and return the manuscripts to you." Hafsa sent it to `Uthman. `Uthman then ordered Zaid bin Thabit, `Abdullah bin AzZubair, Sa`id bin Al-As and `AbdurRahman bin Harith bin Hisham to rewrite the manuscripts in perfect copies. `Uthman said to the three Quraishi men, "In case you disagree with Zaid bin Thabit on any point in the Qur'an, then write it in the dialect of Quraish, the Qur'an was revealed in their tongue." They did so, and when they had written many copies, `Uthman returned the original manuscripts to Hafsa. `Uthman sent to every Muslim province one copy of what they had copied, and ordered that all the other Qur'anic materials, whether written in fragmentary manuscripts or whole copies, be burnt.

If anything is not clear,let me know but it's asr and I need to go pray now
    Nice damage control. Very nice.
    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3540 Post(s)

Hmmm. May Allah reward her for her patience and sacrifice for her family, but it's kinda sad that she couldn't find a time for herself until she was elderly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsandman View Post
    clearly her being educated was not a priority and her having memorized hadith is pretty wishful thinking.

This thread really,really bothers me. One of the so called great modern scholars wife was illiterate? She was made to have children and serve her husband before learning to read?

I really need to verify this thru a another source as, if it is true then it dramatically changes that sheikhs standing permanently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintchocchip View Post
    I agree. Was going to write a huge reply to the OP but thought forget it.

It really is disturbing that such a knowledgable person would not consider it a priority to educate his wife.

Is this article for real??
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoic Believer View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this. Then again, we don't know the whole story.
    Whats wrong with you people,....you still find a reason to complain... you guys must be perfect or summing. what is apparent she liked to look after him and his kids ..but eventually after the responsibilities eased he helped her to study...
    you somehow decide his running of the marriage is wrong .
    What I see is a perfect marriage which worked for them and they were happy.

Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

**** Smiling won't cost you now is it ****

Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antę” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .khayriyyah. View Post
    He was a scholar for the saudi monarchy not for Islam
    Along with bin baz

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1753 Post(s)

I was finished arguing here. More accusations...the worst being that because I believe in literacy as a necessity,
    Ok , this was a misunderstanding. Not telling you how to go about yourself , but in the future , if you discuss anything with me , know that I take the term "Necessity / Necessary" just as the dictionary defines it and how argumentative language uses it , i.e that it entails Obligation / Inevitable.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Necessary

1. Needed or required:

2. a) Unavoidably determined by prior conditions or circumstances; inevitable:
    b) Logically inevitable:

3. Required by obligation

-----

I have read our comments 3x now , though I admit , I have not read the entire thread - nor do I have the intention to at this moment.

Jazak Allahu khayron.

Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9426 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by muzzybee View Post
    Whats wrong with you people,....you still find a reason to complain... you guys must be perfect or summing. what is apparent she liked to look after him and his kids ..but eventually after the responsibilities eased he helped her to study...
    I didn't say any of the things you're accusing me of, son.

Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3540 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sister_2009 View Post
    Very nice

It was not uncommon, even in recent past, for women in certain countries to be illiterate. I found it interesting that a number of the most educated men I met when looking for marriage had illiterate mothers. Once when I asked, but how did you become a doctor and become so knowledgeable in deen, it was said that they had to read the mail and newspapers to their mom, but she raised good children because of the care she provided and from education that was available outside of the house.

In this case, maybe she didn’t seek education early because she was satisfied with what she was doing in helping her kids and her husband. When your kids are grown, you end up with a lot of free time and so you find activities to occupy you. It’s nice to read that her husband encouraged her to invest in herself.
    This is it.
    /thread

Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antę” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3540 Post(s)

@stoic
    Ok it sounded like you had doubts

Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5580 Post(s)

Along with bin baz
    Because he didn't make takfeer on the Saudi state?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)

That is your opinion. We're allowed to disagree.

Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3540 Post(s)

That is your opinion. We're allowed to disagree.
    So are you saying his handling of his own marriage is wrong ?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poster View Post
    Because he didn't make takfeer on the Saudi state?
    No theres much more than that
    First of all the saudi government/monarchy dont rule by full sharia they also add kufr into it such as riba banks
    In addition they signed on with United nations which means u have to follow their humanitarian laws their kufr man made laws another point
    Bin baz made a fatwa to allow us troops into hejaz including the holy cities even though osama bin laden (before he was classed as a terrorist criminal) offered to protect hejaz
    Instead they denied him and went to the crusaders
    They also allowed us troops to store weapons vehicles to be used in the iraqi slaughter of muslims
    They also allowed the nation to rule by nationalism and let the taghut monarchy do whatever they want
    Imprisonjng righteous scholars who spoke the haqq
    So called grand muftis of hejaz should have forbid the evil enjoined the good
    Should have showed baraa against the crusader usa
    And should have made fatwa to wage war against israil
    And should have said that the monarchy are taghut

Al-An'am 6:121

وَلَا تَاْكُلُوْا مِمَّا لَمْ يُذْكَرِ اسْمُ اللّٰهِ عَلَيْهِ وَاِنَّهٗ لَفِسْقٌؕ وَاِنَّ الشَّيٰطِيْنَ لَيُوْحُوْنَ اِلٰٓى اَوْلِيٰٓـٮِٕـهِمْ لِيُجَادِلُوْكُمْۚ وَاِنْ اَطَعْتُمُوْهُمْ اِنَّكُمْ لَمُشْرِكُوْنَ

And do not eat of that upon which the name of Allah has not been mentioned, for indeed, it is grave disobedience. And indeed do the devils inspire their allies [among men] to dispute with you. And if you were to obey them, indeed, you would be associators [of others with Him].

They obeyed the taghut monarchy and thus they associate with the taghut
    Who is a taghut
    1 shaytaan
    2 something that is worshipped
    3 someone who worships other than Allah
    4 someone who claims to see unseen
    5 someone who rules by other than the law of Allah

The saudi monarchy has commited number 5 and thus tries to play as legislator when that is Allahs role Al haqm
    They defied tawheed haaqimiyah and thus tawheed ilaahiya
    And so did uthaymeen and bin baz defy tawheed haaqimiya and ilaahiya because they obeyed the monarchy who commited their kufr
    And the Quran ayat i showed above says if you obey then you associate with them

Only the murjiah and madkhalis will give exscuses to al saud and the palace scholars

They dont like to reject the taghut and they always quote kufr duna kufr when ruling by other than the law of Allah
    Last edited by Abu julaybeeb; 01-11-17 at 03:16 AM.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    849 Post(s)

No theres much more than that
    First of all the saudi government/monarchy dont rule by full sharia they also add kufr into it such as riba banks
    In addition they signed on with United nations which means u have to follow their humanitarian laws their kufr man made laws another point
    Bin baz made a fatwa to allow us troops into hejaz including the holy cities even though osama bin laden (before he was classed as a terrorist criminal) offered to protect hejaz
    Instead they denied him and went to the crusaders
    They also allowed us troops to store weapons vehicles to be used in the iraqi slaughter of muslims
    They also allowed the nation to rule by nationalism and let the taghut monarchy do whatever they want
    Imprisonjng righteous scholars who spoke the haqq
    So called grand muftis of hejaz should have forbid the evil enjoined the good
    Should have showed baraa against the crusader usa
    And should have made fatwa to wage war against israil
    And should have said that the monarchy are taghut

Al-An'am 6:121

وَلَا تَاْكُلُوْا مِمَّا لَمْ يُذْكَرِ اسْمُ اللّٰهِ عَلَيْهِ وَاِنَّهٗ لَفِسْقٌؕ وَاِنَّ الشَّيٰطِيْنَ لَيُوْحُوْنَ اِلٰٓى اَوْلِيٰٓـٮِٕـهِمْ لِيُجَادِلُوْكُمْۚ وَاِنْ اَطَعْتُمُوْهُمْ اِنَّكُمْ لَمُشْرِكُوْنَ

And do not eat of that upon which the name of Allah has not been mentioned, for indeed, it is grave disobedience. And indeed do the devils inspire their allies [among men] to dispute with you. And if you were to obey them, indeed, you would be associators [of others with Him].

They obeyed the taghut monarchy and thus they associate with the taghut
    Who is a taghut
    1 shaytaan
    2 something that is worshipped
    3 someone who worships other than Allah
    4 someone who claims to see unseen
    5 someone who rules by other than the law of Allah

The saudi monarchy has commited number 5 and thus tries to play as legislator when that is Allahs role Al haqm
    They defied tawheed haaqimiyah and thus tawheed ilaahiya
    And so did uthaymeen and bin baz defy tawheed haaqimiya and ilaahiya because they obeyed the monarchy who commited their kufr
    And the Quran ayat i showed above says if you obey then you associate with them

Only the murjiah and madkhalis will give exscuses to al saud and the palace scholars

They dont like to reject the taghut and they always quote kufr duna kufr when ruling by other than the law of Allah
    I was trying to avoid going down this path and you have spoken the truth of the matter that is widely known.

I was focusing on the issue at hand;womens literacy, as I believe a strong,smart ummah is raised by strong,smart women and a literate woman is a strong,smart woman as the example of Umm al Mumineen Aisha ra, showed and she is the role model for the women of this ummah. obedient yet headstrong,humble yet knowledgeable.

I don't always agree with what you say but I respect the fact your willing to speak the truth, even if it is unpopular.

May Allah swt increase you in knowledge and keep you stead fast in the deen,ameen

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)

So are you saying his handling of his own marriage is wrong ?
    I don't know enough about their marriage to make that comment. What I'm saying is that this particular anecdote of their marriage is not something to be taken as a praise-worthy example of investing in your wife.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)

jazakAllah khair

Ameen

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    579 Post(s)

The best of woman were not necessarily scholars they were good mothers/wives

His wife is probably raising ulema so imagine the deeds she can attain from that and she's helping her husband become a big time sheikh
    It all starts with a thought

Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8065 Post(s)

by providing her with food , shelter and clothing and security.

Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8065 Post(s)

The sentence following makes sense of this, in a relationship you can arrange for stuff like how housework should be done.
    not every muslim is rich enough to arrange for maids to serve the Queen since the guys working from 9 to 7

Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8065 Post(s)

Along with bin baz
    are you saying they were murtads?

Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2672 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noobz View Post
    not every muslim is rich enough to arrange for maids to serve the Queen since the guys working from 9 to 7
    I'm not saying maids. I'm saying agreements can be made as to how the wife or even husband wants to do the care of the house.

Its not really unIslamic for the husband to support his wife with the chores as Aishah (ra) said in this hadith:

“He always joined in household work and would at times mend his clothes, cobble his shoes, and sweep the floor. He would milk, tether, and feed his animals and do the household shopping” (Al-Bukhari)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    324 Post(s)

BREAKING NEWS!!....his wife is dyslexic...BOOM!
    Spears shall be shaken! Shields shall be splintered! a sword day..a red day..ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world’s ending!

None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    849 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eorlingas View Post
    BREAKING NEWS!!....his wife is dyslexic...BOOM!
    again, I warn you that lying is a major sin.

Odan
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1236 Post(s)

Few things:

1. There are opinions that Rasulullah learned to read and write in Madinah as well. These are obviously minority opinions, but they exist.

2. Books are not necessary for learning the Deen. Rather, learning purely from books is dangerous. The Deen is learned orally and through live example with support from books. This modern trend of learning directly from books goes against the traditional methods of learning the Deen.

3. There are priorities in life. Kids are a greater priority than literacy. Its not as if she was uneducated. She knew more of the Deen than all of us combined. When the opportunity to take on lesser priorities such as literacy presented itself, then her husband supported her.

4. Having said that, the Sheikh should have taken time to teach her to read and write. It doesn't really take that much time. But Allah knows best how busy both husband and wife were.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
    It's a marriage, not a student/teacher relationship. There are children and responsibilities that need to be taken care of.
    What world are you people living in lol. why judge their wives, if you wanted to seek knowledge as a sister, you would be doing that before marriage. You wouldn't marry a sheikh or a student expecting him to teach you. As if you're going to suddenly turn into a sponge and soak up all the knowledge that he spent 10+ years acquiring on top of pregnancy and child rearing. No, you'll stay as ignorant as you were before marriage no matter how big of a sheikh your husband is because seeking knowledge past the basics was never your thing to start with.

He taught her everything she needs to know, she probably had more knowledge about islam than all of us put together.
    Allah says to save yourselves and your families from the fire. (66:6) You think scholars don't understand what that means? Does knowing how to read and write save your family from the fire?
    Some knowledge is obligatory to know and some isn't. Most of us can read and write but probably can't recite the fatihah and the last few surahs properly and our salah is full of mistakes from top to bottom. Which one is Allah going to ask you about?
    Really, examine yourself and your priorities before criticising.

Judging the wives of scholars is just another form of the celebrity gossip culture that we've picked up from non muslims. It's pathetic and the lowest place a human can go.
    I would appreciate it if this thread was not turned into a flesh eating contest. Keep it general, keep the sheikhs name out of it and stick to the main topic.
    I have read the whole interview. The wife had time to travel with her husband yet not a few hours a day to learn how to read and write.

Of course their are responsibilities in a marriage and the best example is that of Muhammad (saw). His mission was far greater than this shaikhs. Yet our Nabi (saw) spent time helping at home. So could this shaikh relieved his wife for even a few hours a week so she could learn to read and write?

So many woman learn from their husbands. Even if the woman did not learn much before marriage it's never too late to learn after marriage.

Yes he probably did teach her and if you see my first reply I was hinting at maybe she learnt stuff off by heart.

You say didn't the scholar know what 66.6 in Quran means? The shaikh was a human just like some of the modern so called shaikhs and scholars all over social media teaching about what the quran says but their own actions are completely opposite.

You are the one who started the thread about a shaikh and his wife then you talk about it becoming celebrity gossip. What was the point in posting?

What main topic? That the sheikh did not encourage or help his wife to learn to read and write until she became a senior citizen?
    Last edited by Mintchocchip; 01-11-17 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)

So by investment u mean helps her with studies
    Yes, not by expensive handbags!

Lol

The story also shows the sheikh's wife had her priorities in order, unlike people of nowadays, what with career chasers putting their own careers before the family/children.

http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1753 Post(s)

Just to be clear and I have read the thread , and only because you play yourself out to be the victim - and it is not my intent to misrepresent or oppress anyone.

1) I was incorrect of me for taking your "necessity" for literacy in the manner that I did.

That notion of yours has been refuted by myself and even others within this thread. Your assumption of the sister not knowing the shaykhs fiqh opinions is not only wrong , but it is suspect.

If you have doubts about this then read the comments of poster rumaysah and abusidd (I'm on a phone and can not repeat myself for the 4-5 time)

2) I never said that housework is an obligation. Read my first post , I said any Muslimah should do this. I also called the sister a Muhsinat - do you know what that means? A muhsinat is not with the mentality of "oh, it's not obligatory? Therefore, I'm not doing it". That is not Ihsan and a women who marries a scholar is not so miserly.

Look, some scholars say it is obligatory but as you have suggested some do not claim the same. Do you think the ones who say it is not obligatory say that you should not do this? Is doing it better or is it worse? Obviously it is better , therefore there is nothing wrong with saying that you "should" .

3) On top of this , what if he commands her to?

You should address my points using logic and with competence. By that I mean quote each point directly in your response. After doing that, address each point with an agreement or disagreement - and when you disagree , put forward something more convincing , Islamically sound and with a conclusion. If you can not do that , then I will not respond back to you.

Peace
    Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 01-11-17 at 02:24 PM.