Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

How is plastic surgery viewed in Islam?

Such as a beard transplant where they take hair from your head and put it on your face.
    Or loose skin surgery to remove loose skin after weight loss.
    If none of these are for medical reasons (like you're not going to die or be ill because of them) and are solely for cosmetic purposes, how is it seen in Islam?

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)

Re: How is plastic surgery viewed in Islam?

There are genuine and legitimate uses for plastic surgery- it's not all botox and collagen injections. If a person has an injury or deformity such as due to a tumour or fire damage, once the tumour is removed, it might not be "medically necessary" (ie wouldn't put the patient's life at risk) to correct the deformity in the face, but I don't know of any Islamic evidence that would prohibit going to a plastic surgeon to correct the deformity. Then again I'm not a scholar so by all means if anyone else knows of such evidence, correct me if I'm wrong.

My brother's ex wife used to work for a plastic surgeon in London and I asked her whether most of his clients were vain people like what we see in Hollywood and she said no, generally his clients have a genuine need for plastic surgery. She told me one client was a baby who was born with deformed hands. They hoped that with surgery, the child would be able to gain more proper use of his hands so they scheduled a date for surgery but the baby died before they could do it because he was born with a defect in his organs as well so didn't survive. I think we're shown shocking salacious TLC type nonsense depictions of vain rich Hollywood plastic surgeons because it's considered good TV and gets higher ratings than medical procedures for ordinary people who really need them.

The problem is not the fact that the plastic surgery profession exists, because it can have some great uses in terms of helping reconstruct a hand or face or other body part that has been damaged by disease or an accident. The problem is when a person is simply vain and showing ingratitude towards the way Allah (swt) made him or her and uses the industry in order to try and become someone they're not. An old person will pursue botox or a face lift to fight the natural process of aging because she (usually it is women) is afraid she's no longer attractive to her husband or other men anymore. Or a young woman wants to look like a movie star because her mediocre shallow life is so empty until and unless she can get a body like that. Now people want to use such facilities to change their gender as well. Such people are not mentally healthy and have problems way bigger than just how they look.

I don't know whether a beard transplant would be permitted. I know from hadith evidence that it's forbidden for women to wear wigs, even if they suffer from balding/alopecia, but I don't know whether the rule applies to men or whether is only applies to false hair or not. I do know that in Islam, if a man does not grow a proper full beard due to some hormone imbalance or a problem with his chin hair follicles, Islamically he has an exemption. He is not obliged to grow a beard if his body physically doesn't produce the hairs in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by teresec View Post
    Such as a beard transplant where they take hair from your head and put it on your face.
    If none of these are for medical reasons (like you're not going to die or be ill because of them) and are solely for cosmetic purposes, how is it seen in Islam?
    Last edited by neelu; 30-10-17 at 03:47 PM.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

On Break
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1268 Post(s)

Re: How is plastic surgery viewed in Islam?

Quote Originally Posted by teresec View Post
    You’ll need to look into it further, but the differences I have seen involve changing oneself versus restoring to a prior state. The hair transplant would seem to be a change, whereas skin removal would appear to be a restoration to a prior state. Beyond that, people with large amounts of excess skin after weight loss can develop infections in the folds of that skin from cleanliness and weight of the hanging skin, which creates a risk to keeping the skin.