Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 48
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Assalam alaykum

    All my life I have had doubts about Islam. I'm an Arabic speaker so I read and understand the Quran. I fast and I try to pray five times a day. I eat halal and avoid what Allah has forbidden. But still, I often feel isolated and disconnected from Allah. When I pray I feel empty. When I fast I question if it's for Allah completely or if there is a social aspect to it. When I don't eat haram things I ask the same question -- is it because of my dedication or is it so I don't eat haram around people?

    I often get frustrated at the religion. For example, today I was in the middle of prayer when I passed gas. Instead of repeating wudu, I got frustrated and cried. In a fit of anger I think I left Islam but instantly repented and said the shahada (I basically said to Allah that I wasn't going to pray until He showed me a sign). I repented as I said, but I waited an hour before calming down and making wudu and praying the prayer, making it late but still within the window of time. I do not have anger issues usually, and even when I do get frustrated I usually take a breath and I feel calm. But today was different. Why should I spend my entire life obeying rules and texts that I harbor doubts over? Again, I feel completely empty whenever I do acts of ibadah. Even at jum'ah I feel like the khutbahs are boring and the recitation of the Quran doesn't speak to my heart anymore. And yes, I do make dua for stronger iman and to keep Satan away from me, but these doubts continue.

    I ask Allah to comfort my heart, to show me a sign that I am on the true path. I know He exists, as it is irrational to believe this universe and all life came to existence from random chance. But I am not comfortable in knowing that Islam is the truth. Christians pray to Jesus and saints and experience miracles. Witches (Wiccans) pray to gods and nature and get what they want. I understand that witches use jinn (and possibly Christians when they pray to saints and Jesus), but how do I know Islam is the religion that the Creator intended for me?

    It is not questions I have; it is pure doubt. I'm the type of person to need evidence to believe something.

    Yes, I do recognize that the Quran is beautiful and complex, but that does not hinder my doubt. I just want one sign to happen to me to show me that Islam is the utter truth.

    I don't know what to do. I catch myself occasionally looking into different religions (hence the kufr/shirk in the title), but something at the back of my mind keeps me from making the leap, hoping that Allah will indeed show me a sign. But it hasn't happened yet.

    I hope the community here doesn't hold this post against me; I am not here to stir trouble or cause fitnah (though I know this post is a source of fitnah). I am genuinely seeking help, but the local imam isn't helpful, and from recent khutbahs I think he's really watering down the religion to just the Quran minus jihad, so I don't totally trust his advice.
    Last edited by lailahailaHuwa; 21-10-17 at 08:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    Assalam alaykum

    All my life I have had doubts about Islam. I'm an Arabic speaker so I read and understand the Quran. I fast and I try to pray five times a day. I eat halal and avoid what Allah has forbidden. But still, I often feel isolated and disconnected from Allah. When I pray I feel empty. When I fast I question if it's for Allah completely or if there is a social aspect to it. When I don't eat haram things I ask the same question -- is it because of my dedication or is it so I don't eat haram around people?

    I often get frustrated at the religion. For example, today I was in the middle of prayer when I passed gas. Instead of repeating wudu, I got frustrated and cried. In a fit of anger I think I left Islam but instantly repented and said the shahada (I basically said to Allah that I wasn't going to pray until He showed me a sign). I repented as I said, but I waited an hour before calming down and making wudu and praying the prayer, making it late but still within the window of time. I do not have anger issues usually, and even when I do get frustrated I usually take a breath and I feel calm. But today was different. Why should I spend my entire life obeying rules and texts that I harbor doubts over? Again, I feel completely empty whenever I do acts of ibadah. Even at jum'ah I feel like the khutbahs are boring and the recitation of the Quran doesn't speak to my heart anymore. And yes, I do make dua for stronger iman and to keep Satan away from me, but these doubts continue.

    I ask Allah to comfort my heart, to show me a sign that I am on the true path. I know He exists, as it is irrational to believe this universe and all life came to existence from random chance. But I am not comfortable in knowing that Islam is the truth. Christians pray to Jesus and saints and experience miracles. Witches (Wiccans) pray to gods and nature and get what they want. I understand that witches use jinn (and possibly Christians when they pray to saints and Jesus), but how do I know Islam is the religion that the Creator intended for me?

    It is not questions I have; it is pure doubt. I'm the type of person to need evidence to believe something.

    Yes, I do recognize that the Quran is beautiful and complex, but that does not hinder my doubt. I just want one sign to happen to me to show me that Islam is the utter truth.

    I don't know what to do. I catch myself occasionally looking into different religions (hence the kufr/shirk in the title), but something at the back of my mind keeps me from making the leap, hoping that Allah will indeed show me a sign. But it hasn't happened yet.

    I hope the community here doesn't hold this post against me; I am not here to stir trouble or cause fitnah (though I know this post is a source of fitnah). I am genuinely seeking help, but the local imam isn't helpful, and from recent khutbahs I think he's really watering down the religion to just the Quran minus jihad, so I don't totally trust his advice.
    Do you live in the middle east?
    When was the last time you actually say down and read the meaning of th Quran (even if you are a Arabic speaker)
    3 .what kind of sign do you want?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Cake o clock View Post
    Do you live in the middle east?
    When was the last time you actually say down and read the meaning of th Quran (even if you are a Arabic speaker)
    3 .what kind of sign do you want?
    Nope, I live in the West (obviously has an impact).
    I last read the meaning about 6 months ago, but I look up meanings of the verses/chapters I'm reading from time to time
    I don't want the impossible, like an animal dying and then being resurrected (as He gave Abraham, for example). I just want something like making dua for the heavy rain to stop and it stops immediately, or asking for healing and feeling healed almost immediately. I know how selfish I sound, but I really just need something that is obvious.

  4. #4
    Odan
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    3,044
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    491 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    88

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Is what you are asking for realistic?

    As far as I know, we are brought on to this planet - our understanding and knowledge of what happened before this current life is wiped (i.e. our souls were not created when our physical bodies were). And that is the purpose of the life on this planet. It is just a series of moments. God could make Himself apparent, and send down Angels and everyone would believe, that is easy for God, but would defeat the whole purpose of this passage of time (life on Earth). I think you need to understand the wisdom behind why we are here, what lead to this, the consequences of our actions - good and bad.

    Those that were alive during the time of Moses, Jesus, Muhammad (peace be upon them all) witnessed miracles - but the penalty for those that witnessed these miracles and turned their backs or continued to be disobedient is going to be very harsh. And that is something I don't think many people appreciate.

    We are meant to be living in the time we are in - there is wisdom behind it and it is up to us to dig a bit, contemplate, try to understand and that requires effort, reflection, seclusion etc.

    I think what you are going through should lead to a real sense of questioning and questioning yourself too. I have been through different phases like this, and for me, they are healthy and always take me to a higher plain I feel. It is on you to make something of this situation. However I would question your mind-set, and that is not a dig.

    If I am going through a period where I feel my practices and devotions have stalled, I will slow down - do less, but put more thought and effort into them. It has to be a conscious effort, whereas you kind of seem a bit knee-jerk. Control your emotions, don't let your emotions dictate how you feel about this issue as you will have no real control on your journey. Fasting is meant to teach us discipline, as an example, it is not just not eating. If we fast wholly, we will watch what we eat, drink, what we say, the company we keep - you get out what you put in. And you can receive inspiration and a real high of imaan doing this. A person who misses that will just think - I just went without food and drink. That is fine of course, but the person who put that much more effort in will get that much more out.

    I would say take some time out, change your routine, freshen things up. Take your time with certain things, reflect, think, process.

    Again I think its healthy to go through these moments of self-reflection.

    There are real things however that will help you.

    Sitting with someone that has a grounding in Islam - i.e. a scholar - this will super-charge your imaan.

    Prostration to Allah (SWT). Some believe you can prostrate even without being in a state of wudhu, not sure which madhab you follow - but for me, this always helps.

    Man is the closest he can be to Allah (SWT) when he is in prostration.

    There are steps you can take and you will see signs for yourself - you won't even need to see the things you mentioned - people can see those things and still turn their backs and of course God knows this and there is a wisdom in it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Azraael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    Assalam alaykum

    All my life I have had doubts about Islam. I'm an Arabic speaker so I read and understand the Quran. I fast and I try to pray five times a day. I eat halal and avoid what Allah has forbidden. But still, I often feel isolated and disconnected from Allah. When I pray I feel empty. When I fast I question if it's for Allah completely or if there is a social aspect to it. When I don't eat haram things I ask the same question -- is it because of my dedication or is it so I don't eat haram around people?

    I often get frustrated at the religion. For example, today I was in the middle of prayer when I passed gas. Instead of repeating wudu, I got frustrated and cried. In a fit of anger I think I left Islam but instantly repented and said the shahada (I basically said to Allah that I wasn't going to pray until He showed me a sign). I repented as I said, but I waited an hour before calming down and making wudu and praying the prayer, making it late but still within the window of time. I do not have anger issues usually, and even when I do get frustrated I usually take a breath and I feel calm. But today was different. Why should I spend my entire life obeying rules and texts that I harbor doubts over? Again, I feel completely empty whenever I do acts of ibadah. Even at jum'ah I feel like the khutbahs are boring and the recitation of the Quran doesn't speak to my heart anymore. And yes, I do make dua for stronger iman and to keep Satan away from me, but these doubts continue.

    I ask Allah to comfort my heart, to show me a sign that I am on the true path. I know He exists, as it is irrational to believe this universe and all life came to existence from random chance. But I am not comfortable in knowing that Islam is the truth. Christians pray to Jesus and saints and experience miracles. Witches (Wiccans) pray to gods and nature and get what they want. I understand that witches use jinn (and possibly Christians when they pray to saints and Jesus), but how do I know Islam is the religion that the Creator intended for me?

    It is not questions I have; it is pure doubt. I'm the type of person to need evidence to believe something.

    Yes, I do recognize that the Quran is beautiful and complex, but that does not hinder my doubt. I just want one sign to happen to me to show me that Islam is the utter truth.

    I don't know what to do. I catch myself occasionally looking into different religions (hence the kufr/shirk in the title), but something at the back of my mind keeps me from making the leap, hoping that Allah will indeed show me a sign. But it hasn't happened yet.

    I hope the community here doesn't hold this post against me; I am not here to stir trouble or cause fitnah (though I know this post is a source of fitnah). I am genuinely seeking help, but the local imam isn't helpful, and from recent khutbahs I think he's really watering down the religion to just the Quran minus jihad, so I don't totally trust his advice.


    First, you need to get out of the mindset of always look for something empirical in order to validate its existence. Even scientists and top research believe in unseen phenomena. For an example Brian Greene believes in Parallel universes. This is unseen and he cant empirically prove it. Its purely based on mathematics which itself is abstract.

    Now coming to Islam being the truth, think of this. You have a man (Prophet Muhammed Sallalahu Alayhi Wassallam) who lived in a desert and was given revelation. His revelation united the people of Arabia who were in constant warring against each other (Clan warfare) and then they defeated the Persian Empire in the 7th century then went on take lands away from the Byzantine empire, then eventually conquered the Byzantines in the 14th century.

    One only needs to ponder this. There is NO MAN in the history of mankind who preached with the littlest of means and gave rise to empires, and a faith adhered by over a quarter of the world's population. Second, if you don't think Islam is the truth...then why on earth would a man like the Prophet (Peace be Upon Him) spread false hood? And don't you think the earliest adherents would have been skeptical of Islam? There is literally NO BENEFIT for them to accept it, during their time, unless they believed he was truly a prophet sent by Allah (swt). People back then were't stupid.

    So if you don't think this is enough proof of heavenly guidance and revelation then you need to really sit down and ponder about the history of Islam.

    I don't think many people understand the magnitude of the difficulty for some to spread a religion, and ensure it survives through the ages unless it is being guarded by Allah (swt). But sadly people don't ponder much these days.

  6. #6
    a gronn
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,477
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1136 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    78

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    so you are on the verge of becoming a pagan ?

    not a jew or a christian ?

    those who preach the latter will be disappointed
    "arm yourself with knowledge and laugh at the accusers"
    me - 2017

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Azraael View Post
    First, you need to get out of the mindset of always look for something empirical in order to validate its existence. Even scientists and top research believe in unseen phenomena. For an example Brian Greene believes in Parallel universes. This is unseen and he cant empirically prove it. Its purely based on mathematics which itself is abstract.

    Now coming to Islam being the truth, think of this. You have a man (Prophet Muhammed Sallalahu Alayhi Wassallam) who lived in a desert and was given revelation. His revelation united the people of Arabia who were in constant warring against each other (Clan warfare) and then they defeated the Persian Empire in the 7th century then went on take lands away from the Byzantine empire, then eventually conquered the Byzantines in the 14th century.

    One only needs to ponder this. There is NO MAN in the history of mankind who preached with the littlest of means and gave rise to empires, and a faith adhered by over a quarter of the world's population. Second, if you don't think Islam is the truth...then why on earth would a man like the Prophet (Peace be Upon Him) spread false hood? And don't you think the earliest adherents would have been skeptical of Islam? There is literally NO BENEFIT for them to accept it, during their time, unless they believed he was truly a prophet sent by Allah (swt). People back then were't stupid.

    So if you don't think this is enough proof of heavenly guidance and revelation then you need to really sit down and ponder about the history of Islam.

    I don't think many people understand the magnitude of the difficulty for some to spread a religion, and ensure it survives through the ages unless it is being guarded by Allah (swt). But sadly people don't ponder much these days.
    Christianity is the largest religion in the world and has survived two thousand years, yet we believe the entire religion is false. One man, Paul, started everything: the divinity of Christ, the crucifixion as being the sole means of salvation, the elimination of Moses's law. All of these acts are clearly unIslamic and false, yet the religion persists.

    I am not arguing with you, but that statement (how a man preaching a religion that opposed pretty much everything the pagans did could spread rapidly and continue for 1400 years) brought peace to my heart for a while, but then I remembered Christianity's similar story. Even Buddhism and Hinduism are major religions, yet are steeped in shirk.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by magok View Post
    so you are on the verge of becoming a pagan ?

    not a jew or a christian ?

    those who preach the latter will be disappointed
    I don't know. Christianity is paganistic due to the divinity of a man and the appropriation of pagan holidays into the religion. Yes, they're people of the Book, yet no doubt have deviated into shirk. Judaism doesn't accept converts, yet they've bastardized their religion to the point that believing in God doesn't matter. I know a Jewish man who's gay, doesn't observe kosher, doesn't care about holidays, and yet observes the Sabbath, and that's all fine to them. Clearly not the religion of God.

    Believing in a creator and praying to Him makes sense to me, but it's still kufr if it's not Islam.

    My feelings are confused, clearly.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by AX1300 View Post
    Is what you are asking for realistic?

    As far as I know, we are brought on to this planet - our understanding and knowledge of what happened before this current life is wiped (i.e. our souls were not created when our physical bodies were). And that is the purpose of the life on this planet. It is just a series of moments. God could make Himself apparent, and send down Angels and everyone would believe, that is easy for God, but would defeat the whole purpose of this passage of time (life on Earth). I think you need to understand the wisdom behind why we are here, what lead to this, the consequences of our actions - good and bad.

    Those that were alive during the time of Moses, Jesus, Muhammad (peace be upon them all) witnessed miracles - but the penalty for those that witnessed these miracles and turned their backs or continued to be disobedient is going to be very harsh. And that is something I don't think many people appreciate.

    We are meant to be living in the time we are in - there is wisdom behind it and it is up to us to dig a bit, contemplate, try to understand and that requires effort, reflection, seclusion etc.
    I understand that seeing a sign would mean dire consequences if I turn my back. But at this rate, I fear that I'll die a kafir because I never get a sign, and I end up in juhannam. I don't know, I'd rather see clear evidence and have the chance to become the best Muslim I could possibly be than to never have that chance and end up leaving.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Azraael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    Christianity is the largest religion in the world and has survived two thousand years, yet we believe the entire religion is false. One man, Paul, started everything: the divinity of Christ, the crucifixion as being the sole means of salvation, the elimination of Moses's law. All of these acts are clearly unIslamic and false, yet the religion persists.

    I am not arguing with you, but that statement (how a man preaching a religion that opposed pretty much everything the pagans did could spread rapidly and continue for 1400 years) brought peace to my heart for a while, but then I remembered Christianity's similar story. Even Buddhism and Hinduism are major religions, yet are steeped in shirk.
    Of course because Christianity was for a time practiced properly. It's spreading occurred during the Roman era before it split into east and west Roman empire.

    Also I would argue the religion doesn't really "exist" anymore in the sense that today it's been reduced down to just an identity and most European countries are atheist today. Christianity is on the decline while islam is still growing.

    As for Buddhism it is practiced mainly in east Asia and part of south Asia. As for Hinduism...there is a big misconception about it. There is not one religion called hinduism. That term was coined by the British who basically joined up all the local religions into one. Differs t parts of India worship a different deity. Hinduism is exclusively restricted to an ethnic background and is mainly restricted in South Asia. It was almost wiped out when the Mughals ruled there.

    Point Is, you have to look at the future trends and most sources will say Islam is going to bypass all religions.

    And going back to Christianity there is no way to trace back the teachings in Christianity to Isa (AS). Also Paul didn't preach the religion that was Isa(AS) all he did was propagate what was already there and put his own spin on it. Not even close to what our Prophet Muhammad (Alahi wassalam) achieved so your argument doesn't work here.
    Last edited by Azraael; 22-10-17 at 02:22 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Azraael View Post
    Of course because Christianity was for a time practiced properly. It's spreading occurred during the Roman era before it split into east and west Roman empire.

    Also I would argue the religion doesn't really "exist" anymore in the sense that today it's been reduced down to just an identity and most European countries are atheist today. Christianity is on the decline while islam is still growing.

    As for Buddhism it is practiced mainly in east Asia and part of south Asia. As for Hinduism...there is a big misconception about it. There is not one religion called hinduism. That term was coined by the British who basically joined up all the local religions into one. Differs t parts of India worship a different deity. Hinduism is exclusively restricted to an ethnic background and is mainly restricted in South Asia. It was almost wiped out when the Mughals ruled there.

    Point Is, you have to look at the future trends and most sources will say Islam is going to bypass all religions.
    The reason Islam is growing quickly is because the birth rate in Muslim countries is so high, not because many convert.

    And living in the West has opened my eyes to the fact that many Muslims are like Christians in that Islam is just a label. I know a Muslim who drinks and tells everyone that it's halal. I know Muslims who don't pray at all and believe prayer isn't compulsory. Muslims who avoid pork but embrace ever other haram in life and still maintain that their abstinence from pork is what makes them a good Muslim. Many practice sihr and believe it's halal. Many commit kufr on a daily basis. But if you ask them if they're Muslim, they'll say yes.

    Again, I dislike that I'm arguing with you, but all of these arguments brought me peace until I realized the ugly truth: just because someone says they're Muslim doesn't mean they are.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Azraael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    The reason Islam is growing quickly is because the birth rate in Muslim countries is so high, not because many convert.

    And living in the West has opened my eyes to the fact that many Muslims are like Christians in that Islam is just a label. I know a Muslim who drinks and tells everyone that it's halal. I know Muslims who don't pray at all and believe prayer isn't compulsory. Muslims who avoid pork but embrace ever other haram in life and still maintain that their abstinence from pork is what makes them a good Muslim. Many practice sihr and believe it's halal. Many commit kufr on a daily basis. But if you ask them if they're Muslim, they'll say yes.

    Again, I dislike that I'm arguing with you, but all of these arguments brought me peace until I realized the ugly truth: just because someone says they're Muslim doesn't mean they are.
    That is true birth rates are high among Muslims. However conversion is also a factor as well relative to itself the conversion RATES have gone up. Look at pre and post 9/11.

    Second, you do realize the Muslim population in the West account for possible 1-2% of the world wide Muslim ummah.

    Third regarding the ugly truth about Muslims who drink and do all kinds of haram. What you're telling me is that your faith in your religion rests on the action of others rather than the religious teachings themselves. I do admit those Muslims are a problem however that shouldn't affect your imaan. Also it's human nature to remember negative experiences over good experiences.

    If you're seeing the prevalence of Muslims that drink and eat pork etc I would question who you're spending time with. Perhaps you should seek out the company of adhering Muslims?

    I still don't understand the root cause of your problem...
    Also purpose of Islam isn't to bring you "peace" in the sense of "it makes me feel good" but rather open your eyes to the reality of existence and be aware that you are required to obey Allah(swt) and his messenger. Doesn't matter what other people are doing, you won't be held accountable for their actions.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Azraael View Post
    That is true birth rates are high among Muslims. However conversion is also a factor as well relative to itself the conversion RATES have gone up. Look at pre and post 9/11.

    Second, you do realize the Muslim population in the West account for possible 1-2% of the world wide Muslim ummah.

    Third regarding the ugly truth about Muslims who drink and do all kinds of haram. What you're telling me is that your faith in your religion rests on the action of others rather than the religious teachings themselves. I do admit those Muslims are a problem however that shouldn't affect your imaan. Also it's human nature to remember negative experiences over good experiences.

    If you're seeing the prevalence of Muslims that drink and eat pork etc I would question who you're spending time with. Perhaps you should seek out the company of adhering Muslims?

    I still don't understand the root cause of your problem...
    Also purpose of Islam isn't to bring you "peace" in the sense of "it makes me feel good" but rather open your eyes to the reality of existence and be aware that you are required to obey Allah(swt) and his messenger. Doesn't matter what other people are doing, you won't be held accountable for their actions.
    No, the actions of Muslims don't affect me. I meant that though many would label themselves as Muslims, they are not. This means that some part of the population that reports being Muslim isn't actually Muslim. And many of those who deny that prayer is compulsory and claim that alcohol is halal are from the Middle East, like many of the people I know who live in the ME commit kufr.

    I completely disregard the actions of people when it comes to religion because they do not represent the religion itself.

    And I did not mean to say that I obey Allah for "peace." I meant I used to feel a peace in being sure that this is the true religion. My dua and acts of ibada felt amazing. Even on those low days where I felt even making dua was too much, I still remembered that I must worship Allah no matter what and that motivated me to get out of bed. Now I get out of bed "in case," but I've lost that motivation and that spark.

    The truth is, I have no idea where this doubt is coming from, either. That's why I made this post. That's why I'm frustrated. That's why whenever I go to do basic and "extra" acts of ibadah (fasting extra days, offering extra prayers, etc), I feel empty and think "what's the point if my iman is shaky?" I have been in a depressive state about this for a long time. And whenever I reach out to Muslims, I'm told to read the Quran and make dua and they tell me to look around me for the existence of God.. May Allah give those Muslims al-firdous for their efforts, but my problem isn't not understanding the Quran, or not believing in God, or not making dua.

    I know I must be frustrating you, but I frustrate myself, too. Thank you for putting up with me.
    Last edited by lailahailaHuwa; 22-10-17 at 04:29 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member karkooshy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Wa ‘Alaykum Al-Salam,

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    I just want something like making dua for the heavy rain to stop and it stops immediately, or asking for healing and feeling healed almost immediately. I know how selfish I sound, but I really just need something that is obvious.
    The truth of Islam depends on the prophethood of Muhammed ﷺ. And his prophethood can be proven by way of a miracle, such that if you know he ﷺ was aided by a miracle, you know that he ﷺ is a true prophet. You do not need to witness this miracle first hand in order to know about its occurrence, since sense perception is not the only way to knowledge. Mass transmission is also a perfectly fine way to acquiring knowledge.

    Read this here. You can skip to sections 4 and 5 if you want. Some of the comments below the OP are also relevant.

    Since you said you understand Arabic here’s some more material that I think will help you out:
    1. https://youtu.be/_SL5NRMOu8Q - this is the first of a three part series discussing the single topic of mass transmission, and showing how it is a reliable way of knowledge. i recommend going through all three videos.
    2. https://youtu.be/7lo2ywt78zg - this is a single video discussing the topic of miracles. Goes through a lot of detail, so it should be helpful. I'm assuming there will be a continuation to that talk on miracles, though I'm not sure.

    The same channel uploads discussions once every month or so, and they have some good material on various other topics. I can link you to more advanced lectures, even entire courses, if you want. There is a lot that is available online which is freely accessible to an Arabic speaker.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by karkooshy View Post
    Wa ‘Alaykum Al-Salam,



    The truth of Islam depends on the prophethood of Muhammed ﷺ. And his prophethood can be proven by way of a miracle, such that if you know he ﷺ was aided by a miracle, you know that he ﷺ is a true prophet. You do not need to witness this miracle first hand in order to know about its occurrence, since sense perception is not the only way to knowledge. Mass transmission is also a perfectly fine way to acquiring knowledge.

    Read this here. You can skip to sections 4 and 5 if you want. Some of the comments below the OP are also relevant.

    Since you said you understand Arabic here’s some more material that I think will help you out:
    1. https://youtu.be/_SL5NRMOu8Q - this is the first of a three part series discussing the single topic of mass transmission, and showing how it is a reliable way of knowledge. i recommend going through all three videos.
    2. https://youtu.be/7lo2ywt78zg - this is a single video discussing the topic of miracles. Goes through a lot of detail, so it should be helpful. I'm assuming there will be a continuation to that talk on miracles, though I'm not sure.

    The same channel uploads discussions once every month or so, and they have some good material on various other topics. I can link you to more advanced lectures, even entire courses, if you want. There is a lot that is available online which is freely accessible to an Arabic speaker.
    I've seen these before. I've been trying to find comfort for a long time. Many other people throughout history have claimed miracles and there are mass transmissions about them, but Muslims always say they experienced those because of jinn, insanity, or Allah misguiding them. The Christians claim Jesus died and was resurrected and there's mass transmission of that, does that make it true? According to Islam, no. But I also acknowledge Muhammad's salAllah alayhi w salam performed miracles and that witnesses were there.

    I don't know what I want/need. I don't know why I'm feeling this way. I just want something to assure my heart. As discussed above, Allah showed the Bani Israel many signs and showed the sahaba ra many signs which confirmed the truth. That is all I want: to witness a sign. Sure reading about signs supports the claim, but it can never compare to actually witnessing a sign.

    I'm terrified of dying this way. That even if I hold on to Islamic commandments I'll never have true faith, rendering everything I've done null. The thought of this increases my anger/frustration. I don't want to pray and fast and avoid alcohol and music and free mixing if I know that my heart is not firm and that my deeds could all be erased because of it. It is not my desire for earthly pleasure that makes me deviate, but the emptiness and lack of khushu does. It makes me feel that I'm doing these actions to no avail, like if you cooked a difficult dish everyday with exact ingredients and it took up all your time, knowing that at the end you're not going to taste it and just through it away. What's the point if you're not enjoying it? At the same time, I don't want to stop and find out after it's too late that I was wrong. But that leads me back to the original dilemma: if I am not true in faith, then I am going to Hell anyway.

    I will gladly maintain my lifestyle if I know that I am absolutely on the truth. But after studying Islam for a few years (sure I'm no scholar, but I spent at least 3 hours every day reading Quran and sunnah and asking questions and listening to lectures, and I continue to do so), I feel that I know too much about the religion for anything to be new to convince me.

    I am in a state where I know there's no reason for me to reject Islam, and yet I am unable to embrace with all my heart.

  16. #16
    Senior Member karkooshy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    The Christians claim Jesus died and was resurrected and there's mass transmission of that, does that make it true?
    If there was mass transmission to support the historicity of this event, then yes, the Christian would have a point. But there is no mass transmission. Actually there isn't a single reliable report for this event. All the Christians have is four accounts, by anonymous writers, who were demonstrably unreliable.

    Actually, the first lecture I linked to you discusses this very topic (i.e. the crucifixion of 'Isa عليه السلام). The uploaders took that section out and turned it into its own video. See here: https://youtu.be/xc98H0bzZDE

    Just because the Christians claim this event occurred, doesn't mean it did.

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    I will gladly maintain my lifestyle if I know that I am absolutely on the truth. But after studying Islam for a few years (sure I'm no scholar, but I spent at least 3 hours every day reading Quran and sunnah and asking questions and listening to lectures, and I continue to do so), I feel that I know too much about the religion for anything to be new to convince me.
    Not a healthy way of thinking. If you think you know too much about this religion, then that's proof that you know very little. Study more.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by karkooshy View Post

    Not a healthy way of thinking. If you think you know too much about this religion, then that's proof that you know very little. Study more.
    Yeah, I realized that came off the wrong way but it was too late to edit. I meant that I've studied the proofs extensively and at this point when I review them I feel like they're not convincing me. Of course I continue to learn and I know very little about the religion in every single detail, since 1400 years of work has been done and is continuing. The proofs are generally five broad categories: the Quran's linguistic proof, the miracles of the Prophet SAWS, the logic of the shariah, the science of the Quran, and the spread of Islam. I have studied these and at one point they all made me know Islam is the truth. But now I look at them and they don't convince me anymore.

    As your point on Christ, good point. Though we do have non-Christians who support the crucifixion, the Quran does say they were deceived into it. So I guess technically there is not a mass transmission, but there are some reports (which the Quran has an answer for).
    Last edited by lailahailaHuwa; 22-10-17 at 06:50 PM.

  18. #18
    I wonder Ya'sin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Girl Unspecified
    Posts
    28,407
    Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9268 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    1264

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    If you fear you are doing certain actions for the sake of society, do it in private instead.

    Don't panic. We will be tested like this because after all, we don't have a leader, we just have the Quran, a warning to those that will take heed.

    I think your main issue is not getting what you want. You're praying for things but you're not getting it and then that leads to these doubts.

    It feels like you are talking to nobody.

    Have you read Dr Faustus? The character sells his soul and gets what he wants. In the end his final destination is doom.

    We're human just like non Muslims and it is completely natural to question things and feel unfulfilled.

    But that's the whole point of inner struggles of your nafs, to keep you going until the end of your life.
    If you get everything you want you'll feel empty because there is nothing worth working for.

    Does that make sense?

    When I'm not in the mood all I do is sit in silence and stare out of the window. I give my mind a break. I observe things and reflect how life has passed by.

    Have tawheed in your heart as a foundation to help you keep going. The doubts will go away when you look at Islam from a different angle with a different intention
    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

    So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Ya'sin View Post
    If you fear you are doing certain actions for the sake of society, do it in private instead.

    Don't panic. We will be tested like this because after all, we don't have a leader, we just have the Quran, a warning to those that will take heed.

    I think your main issue is not getting what you want. You're praying for things but you're not getting it and then that leads to these doubts.

    It feels like you are talking to nobody.

    Have you read Dr Faustus? The character sells his soul and gets what he wants. In the end his final destination is doom.

    We're human just like non Muslims and it is completely natural to question things and feel unfulfilled.

    But that's the whole point of inner struggles of your nafs, to keep you going until the end of your life.
    If you get everything you want you'll feel empty because there is nothing worth working for.

    Does that make sense?

    When I'm not in the mood all I do is sit in silence and stare out of the window. I give my mind a break. I observe things and reflect how life has passed by.

    Have tawheed in your heart as a foundation to help you keep going. The doubts will go away when you look at Islam from a different angle with a different intention
    No, I haven't read that. My problem isn't not getting what I want, like praying for a car and not getting one. It is praying for something to show me that this is the ultimate truth. If I get that, I wouldn't care if I spent my life not getting what I wanted.

    And yes I get that we get tested and struggle. But what if I pray and fast all my life and avoid haram but my heart isn't firm in faith? Then I would end up doomed anyway. Why live a life of restriction if I'm not even sure of my faith, and then die and burn for eternity? I feel a pit in my stomach and I just want to be sure, but Allah isn't giving me that assurance and I'm terrified that He'll burn me for eternity for never being sure.

    May I ask what angle I should look at it from?
    Last edited by lailahailaHuwa; 22-10-17 at 09:02 PM.

  20. #20
    a gronn
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,477
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1136 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    78

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    I don't know. Christianity is paganistic due to the divinity of a man and the appropriation of pagan holidays into the religion. Yes, they're people of the Book, yet no doubt have deviated into shirk. Judaism doesn't accept converts, yet they've bastardized their religion to the point that believing in God doesn't matter. I know a Jewish man who's gay, doesn't observe kosher, doesn't care about holidays, and yet observes the Sabbath, and that's all fine to them. Clearly not the religion of God.

    Believing in a creator and praying to Him makes sense to me, but it's still kufr if it's not Islam.

    My feelings are confused, clearly.

    you will not lose anything if you stayed in islam in case you didnt know, ignore this confusion because it is clearly trying to make you get out of it, it dosnt care about the destination, as long as you are out of our deen then its job is done
    "arm yourself with knowledge and laugh at the accusers"
    me - 2017

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by magok View Post
    you will not lose anything if you stayed in islam in case you didnt know, ignore this confusion because it is clearly trying to make you get out of it, it dosnt care about the destination, as long as you are out of our deen then its job is done
    But I would still lose if I stayed in Islam but my faith wasn't firm. Wouldn't I still go to Hell?

  22. #22
    I wonder Ya'sin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Girl Unspecified
    Posts
    28,407
    Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9268 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    1264

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    No, I haven't read that. My problem isn't not getting what I want, like praying for a car and not getting one. It is praying for something to show me that this is the ultimate truth. If I get that, I wouldn't care if I spent my life not getting what I wanted.

    And yes I get that we get tested and struggle. But what if I pray and fast all my life and avoid haram but my heart isn't firm in faith? Then I would end up doomed anyway. Why live a life of restriction if I'm not even sure of my faith, and then die and burn for eternity? I feel a pit in my stomach and I just want to be sure, but Allah isn't giving me that assurance and I'm terrified that He'll burn me for eternity for never being sure.

    May I ask what angle I should look at it from?
    Try to remember that everyone in history who asked for a sign to prove Islam is the truth were never satisfied.
    They were all destroyed because even after being shown signs they were led astray.

    I have had these thoughts myself. I think what is the point if it's all going to go in vain.

    Instead of looking for a sign just look around you. Look at what is going on in the world and how the dots connect.

    Your heart is probably empty because your daily worship is just like going through the motions.

    Don't think what if this or what of that, stop that thinking because it keeps you from getting back on track. Just cry to Allah

    These moments will pass but try learning about Allah and fall in love with his attributes again.
    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

    So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

  23. #23
    Odan
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    3,044
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    491 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    88

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    I understand that seeing a sign would mean dire consequences if I turn my back. But at this rate, I fear that I'll die a kafir because I never get a sign, and I end up in juhannam. I don't know, I'd rather see clear evidence and have the chance to become the best Muslim I could possibly be than to never have that chance and end up leaving.
    I think you need to look into what you are asking for.

    According to Muslim tradition, and traditions from other religions - many people witnessed miracles but still rejected God or were disobedient.

    There were the people of Saleh (As), the people of Moses (As), Isa (As), the list is endless and the miracles varied and magnificent.

    Another good example is the story of Harut and Marut. It kind of relates.

    You say you want to see a sign and you will believe, I could say that, along with everyone else here, but those are just words and sentiment - we may not feel the same way in a weeks time, a month, 2 months etc.

    And also. Why you?

    Why should you be given a miracle and no-one else? how is that fair exactly.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by AX1300 View Post
    I think you need to look into what you are asking for.

    According to Muslim tradition, and traditions from other religions - many people witnessed miracles but still rejected God or were disobedient.

    There were the people of Saleh (As), the people of Moses (As), Isa (As), the list is endless and the miracles varied and magnificent.

    Another good example is the story of Harut and Marut. It kind of relates.

    You say you want to see a sign and you will believe, I could say that, along with everyone else here, but those are just words and sentiment - we may not feel the same way in a weeks time, a month, 2 months etc.

    And also. Why you?

    Why should you be given a miracle and no-one else? how is that fair exactly.
    It's not fair and I know that. I don't deserve a sign because I'm clearly no where near the people who were given signs (awliyah and prophets). But my fear is still that I'll die without ever being sure. What's the good in being a Muslim in actions but not in faith? Nothing.

  25. #25
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,013
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    908

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    Nope, I live in the West (obviously has an impact).
    I last read the meaning about 6 months ago, but I look up meanings of the verses/chapters I'm reading from time to time
    I don't want the impossible, like an animal dying and then being resurrected (as He gave Abraham, for example). I just want something like making dua for the heavy rain to stop and it stops immediately, or asking for healing and feeling healed almost immediately. I know how selfish I sound, but I really just need something that is obvious.
    What exactly is your doubt about Islam?

    Can you state them explicitly

    So you'll only believe in Islam if you get what you want?

    You realise how illogical that is right?

    That o claim you will only believe in Islam if your Dua is accepted.

    Nauzibillah min zaliq
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
    What exactly is your doubt about Islam?

    Can you state them explicitly

    So you'll only believe in Islam if you get what you want?

    You realise how illogical that is right?

    That o claim you will only believe in Islam if your Dua is accepted.

    Nauzibillah min zaliq
    I do not have doubts about the teachings of Islam, but rather it is the feeing of emptiness and the uncertainty that faith requires. And yes I know it is illogical, but I can't stop this feeling.

    How are you personally certain that Islam is the truth?

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    I honestly just want the emotional serenity that I see so many Muslims around me have. I know life isn't going to be roses without any hardships. But at the end of the day, I used to always have peace in me knowing that Allah will admit me to jannah if He wills and that His justice will reign soon. But now I pray and fast and make dua and avoid haram as if it were a work routine. I have to do it or else. That's how it started, at least. Then the "or else" became a "but am I even sure I'm at work?"

    This began a long journey. A force must exist, because this world is too complex and nature is too great for it to be some random reactions and mutations.

    Honestly, my next step was very selfish: if there's no benefit or drawback for me, then I don't care about the religion. This cut out a lot of religions (Hinduism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and similar religions).

    This left for me Christianity, Islam, and some pagan religions (Wicca is a major one). Christianity for a long time was attractive: believe God in human form sacrificed himself and now I can do anything I want. Great! But the contradictions and mental gymnastics needed to believe that are too great. Why does God need to be human? Why does He have to "die" (but actually He took a three-day nap in a cave). Why is He a trinity? How does that even make sense, and how does it compare to God in the Old Testament?

    So Islam and Wicca were left. Wicca worships nature and gods. Logically, though, Wicca was invented 60 years ago and it's a bastardizarion of a lot of pagan religions. So they have fun I guess, but it's not real. And even if it was, it would bring a lot of joy to life (get what you want whenever you want it), but death overtakes me still and nothing happens.

    So this left Islam. My concern though is that I reasoned my way to Islam, but I didn't choose it because I felt an overwhelming sense of faith. Does that make sense?

    I was born into a Muslim family but before I was 16 I doubt I was actually a Muslim. I rejected jihad, the sunnah, never prayed, and more. I went along with Islam for a bit because that's what I knew. Then I began actually studying Islam and I became obsessed. I wanted to emulate the sunnah to a T. Then I fell into this doubt and began exploring. I'm back at Islam, but without that burning passion I felt at 16.

    This is to further clarify my thoughts @Saif-Uddin

  28. #28
    a gronn
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,477
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1136 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    78

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    But I would still lose if I stayed in Islam but my faith wasn't firm. Wouldn't I still go to Hell?
    nope, on the contrary, if you remained patient with this, a great reward will await you
    "arm yourself with knowledge and laugh at the accusers"
    me - 2017

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by magok View Post
    nope, on the contrary, if you remained patient with this, a great reward will await you
    So if I prayed and fasted but had shaky faith I'd still go to jannah? Isn't it "those who believe AND do good"?

  30. #30
    a gronn
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,477
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1136 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    78

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    So if I prayed and fasted but had shaky faith I'd still go to jannah? Isn't it "those who believe AND do good"?
    you will remain in the safe zone until you do the most foul of things, reannounce our religion with all your heart and mind

    may you never do that
    "arm yourself with knowledge and laugh at the accusers"
    me - 2017

  31. #31
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,013
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    908

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    I honestly just want the emotional serenity that I see so many Muslims around me have. I know life isn't going to be roses without any hardships. But at the end of the day, I used to always have peace in me knowing that Allah will admit me to jannah if He wills and that His justice will reign soon. But now I pray and fast and make dua and avoid haram as if it were a work routine. I have to do it or else. That's how it started, at least. Then the "or else" became a "but am I even sure I'm at work?"

    This began a long journey. A force must exist, because this world is too complex and nature is too great for it to be some random reactions and mutations.

    Honestly, my next step was very selfish: if there's no benefit or drawback for me, then I don't care about the religion. This cut out a lot of religions (Hinduism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and similar religions).

    This left for me Christianity, Islam, and some pagan religions (Wicca is a major one). Christianity for a long time was attractive: believe God in human form sacrificed himself and now I can do anything I want. Great! But the contradictions and mental gymnastics needed to believe that are too great. Why does God need to be human? Why does He have to "die" (but actually He took a three-day nap in a cave). Why is He a trinity? How does that even make sense, and how does it compare to God in the Old Testament?

    So Islam and Wicca were left. Wicca worships nature and gods. Logically, though, Wicca was invented 60 years ago and it's a bastardizarion of a lot of pagan religions. So they have fun I guess, but it's not real. And even if it was, it would bring a lot of joy to life (get what you want whenever you want it), but death overtakes me still and nothing happens.

    So this left Islam. My concern though is that I reasoned my way to Islam, but I didn't choose it because I felt an overwhelming sense of faith. Does that make sense?

    I was born into a Muslim family but before I was 16 I doubt I was actually a Muslim. I rejected jihad, the sunnah, never prayed, and more. I went along with Islam for a bit because that's what I knew. Then I began actually studying Islam and I became obsessed. I wanted to emulate the sunnah to a T. Then I fell into this doubt and began exploring. I'm back at Islam, but without that burning passion I felt at 16.

    This is to further clarify my thoughts @Saif-Uddin
    From your posts, you never really were a Muslim, since you admit you always had Doubts about Islam,

    Allah عز و جل says in ...

    Surah Al-Hujurat : Ayah 15

    اِنَّمَا الْمُؤْمِنُوْنَ الَّذِيْنَ اٰمَنُوْا بِاللّٰهِ وَرَسُوْلِهٖ ثُمَّ لَمْ يَرْتَابُوْا وَجَاهَدُوْا بِاَمْوَالِهِمْ وَاَنْفُسِهِمْ فِىْ سَبِيْلِ اللّٰهِ*ؕ اُولٰٓٮِٕكَ هُمُ الصّٰدِقُوْنَ

    Only those are the believers who have believed in Allah and His Messenger, and afterward doubt not but strive with their wealth and their lives for the Cause of Allah. Those! They are the truthful.

    If one claims they believe in Islam, then doubt Islam, then they are not being honest with themselves, Infact they were lying to themselves pretending to be muslim in the first place.

    Can you tell me exactly what made you doubt Islam in a single sentence?
    Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 24-10-17 at 12:05 AM.
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
    From your posts, you never really were a Muslim, since you admit you always had Doubts about Islam,

    Allah عز و جل says in ...

    Surah Al-Hujurat : Ayah 15

    اِنَّمَا الْمُؤْمِنُوْنَ الَّذِيْنَ اٰمَنُوْا بِاللّٰهِ وَرَسُوْلِهٖ ثُمَّ لَمْ يَرْتَابُوْا وَجَاهَدُوْا بِاَمْوَالِهِمْ وَاَنْفُسِهِمْ فِىْ سَبِيْلِ اللّٰهِ*ؕ اُولٰٓٮِٕكَ هُمُ الصّٰدِقُوْنَ

    Only those are the believers who have believed in Allah and His Messenger, and afterward doubt not but strive with their wealth and their lives for the Cause of Allah. Those! They are the truthful.

    If one claims they believe in Islam, then doubt Islam, then they are not being honest with themselves, Infact they were lying to themselves pretending to be muslim in the first place.

    Can you tell me exactly what made you doubt Islam in a single sentence?
    How do I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Allah sent Muhammad salAllah alayhi w salam with the final message?

    I've looked at the Prophet's (salAllah alayhi w salam) life, his miracles, and the success of Islam. And yet there is something that's blocking me from truly embracing Islam with all my heart. I don't know what it is, but I suppose it has something to do with that bolded question.

  33. #33
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,013
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    908

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    How do I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Allah sent Muhammad salAllah alayhi w salam with the final message?

    I've looked at the Prophet's (salAllah alayhi w salam) life, his miracles, and the success of Islam. And yet there is something that's blocking me from truly embracing Islam with all my heart. I don't know what it is, but I suppose it has something to do with that bolded question.
    I'm asking what that "something" is,

    You don't know what it is?

    How are we supposed to help you of won't tell us exactly what is stopping you from accepting Islam wholeheartedly?

    What is it that Allah عز و جل or his Rasul صلى الله عليه و سلم said that you have doubts about?
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
    I'm asking what that "something" is,

    You don't know what it is?

    How are we supposed to help you of won't tell us exactly what is stopping you from accepting Islam wholeheartedly?

    What is it that Allah عز و جل or his Rasul صلى الله عليه و سلم said that you have doubts about?
    I don't disagree with anything that Allah or His messenger, salAllah alayhi w salam, said. I just need to satisfy this feeling that I don't have concrete evidence.

    In no way am I saying that I'm near Ibrahim alayhi salam in faith, obedience, or action, but did he not request a sign from Allah to ease his heart? I feel similarity-- I have no reason to reject Islam nor doubt it, I just want something to ease my heart.

    I make dua for Allah to remove from this state.

    EDIT: I know Allah gave him a sign because he was a prophet and was far above the rest of mankind, and that He has no reason to give me, an insignificant person, a sign to reassure my faith when there are those so much better than me in faith, action, and love for Islam who have never requested not been given a sign. I know this fully.
    Last edited by lailahailaHuwa; 24-10-17 at 03:44 AM.

  35. #35
    Odan
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,692
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    815 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    Assalam alaykum

    All my life I have had doubts about Islam. I'm an Arabic speaker so I read and understand the Quran. I fast and I try to pray five times a day. I eat halal and avoid what Allah has forbidden. But still, I often feel isolated and disconnected from Allah. When I pray I feel empty. When I fast I question if it's for Allah completely or if there is a social aspect to it. When I don't eat haram things I ask the same question -- is it because of my dedication or is it so I don't eat haram around people?

    I often get frustrated at the religion. For example, today I was in the middle of prayer when I passed gas. Instead of repeating wudu, I got frustrated and cried. In a fit of anger I think I left Islam but instantly repented and said the shahada (I basically said to Allah that I wasn't going to pray until He showed me a sign). I repented as I said, but I waited an hour before calming down and making wudu and praying the prayer, making it late but still within the window of time. I do not have anger issues usually, and even when I do get frustrated I usually take a breath and I feel calm. But today was different. Why should I spend my entire life obeying rules and texts that I harbor doubts over? Again, I feel completely empty whenever I do acts of ibadah. Even at jum'ah I feel like the khutbahs are boring and the recitation of the Quran doesn't speak to my heart anymore. And yes, I do make dua for stronger iman and to keep Satan away from me, but these doubts continue.

    I ask Allah to comfort my heart, to show me a sign that I am on the true path. I know He exists, as it is irrational to believe this universe and all life came to existence from random chance. But I am not comfortable in knowing that Islam is the truth. Christians pray to Jesus and saints and experience miracles. Witches (Wiccans) pray to gods and nature and get what they want. I understand that witches use jinn (and possibly Christians when they pray to saints and Jesus), but how do I know Islam is the religion that the Creator intended for me?

    It is not questions I have; it is pure doubt. I'm the type of person to need evidence to believe something.

    Yes, I do recognize that the Quran is beautiful and complex, but that does not hinder my doubt. I just want one sign to happen to me to show me that Islam is the utter truth.

    I don't know what to do. I catch myself occasionally looking into different religions (hence the kufr/shirk in the title), but something at the back of my mind keeps me from making the leap, hoping that Allah will indeed show me a sign. But it hasn't happened yet.

    I hope the community here doesn't hold this post against me; I am not here to stir trouble or cause fitnah (though I know this post is a source of fitnah). I am genuinely seeking help, but the local imam isn't helpful, and from recent khutbahs I think he's really watering down the religion to just the Quran minus jihad, so I don't totally trust his advice.
    Wa-Alaikum Salaam

    Firstly, the fact that you are concerned and have made this post mean you DO have Imaan. The fact that falling into kufr worries you is a sign of true Imaan.
    Secondly, there is no big sign that is going to jump in front of you. Look at your daily life and the world around you. The sun rises and sets in different countries at the same time on every day of the year without fail. Look inside of you... the process by which you eat and how the body uses this... The proximity of the earth to the sun is so precises that if we go any closer we will burn to death and any furth we will freze to death...I can go on and on... My point is everything around us is a miracle. Trees die and winter and are revived in summer... Chicken and sheep (halaal foods) never become extinct or get threatened with extinction etc etc..

    Now ask yourself... If as other religions state... there is more than one God... how would the system stay the same throughout time?? Surely other Gods would want a turn to change nature's course etc??

    Every breathe we take is a miracle.

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekoor View Post
    Wa-Alaikum Salaam

    Firstly, the fact that you are concerned and have made this post mean you DO have Imaan. The fact that falling into kufr worries you is a sign of true Imaan.
    Secondly, there is no big sign that is going to jump in front of you. Look at your daily life and the world around you. The sun rises and sets in different countries at the same time on every day of the year without fail. Look inside of you... the process by which you eat and how the body uses this... The proximity of the earth to the sun is so precises that if we go any closer we will burn to death and any furth we will freze to death...I can go on and on... My point is everything around us is a miracle. Trees die and winter and are revived in summer... Chicken and sheep (halaal foods) never become extinct or get threatened with extinction etc etc..

    Now ask yourself... If as other religions state... there is more than one God... how would the system stay the same throughout time?? Surely other Gods would want a turn to change nature's course etc??

    Every breathe we take is a miracle.
    This is evidence of God and Tawheed. How is it necessarily evidence for Islam being the only true religion? Sorry if this sounded rude, that wasn't my intention.

  37. #37
    Odan
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,692
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    815 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    This is evidence of God and Tawheed. How is it necessarily evidence for Islam being the only true religion? Sorry if this sounded rude, that wasn't my intention.
    Look at the Quraan and the seerah of Nabi SAW...

    Both are replete with evidence. The splitting of the moon for one. Look at until this day doctors are discovering how the Sunnah way has benefits etc. look at how many predictions way made in the life of Nabi SAW and have reached fruition and until this day is still playing out in front of our eyes...

  38. #38
    Senior Member karkooshy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    I meant that I've studied the proofs extensively and at this point when I review them I feel like they're not convincing me.
    There are volumes upon volumes of literature dedicated solely to proving Islam. I highly doubt you even scratched the surface.

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    The proofs are generally five broad categories: the Quran's linguistic proof, the miracles of the Prophet SAWS, the logic of the shariah, the science of the Quran, and the spread of Islam. I have studied these and at one point they all made me know Islam is the truth. But now I look at them and they don't convince me anymore.
    Your ability to list the usual arguments is not proof that they’re unsound. You claim that they don’t convince you, but you don’t explain why. Not sure how you expect anyone to help.

    Furthermore, not all of what you listed are arguments I presented for you to look over. And I’m not going to defend something I didn’t raise. Look over the arguments presented to you, and critique them. Don’t just tell us that they’re not convincing, tell us why they’re not convincing so that your objections can be answered.

    Quote Originally Posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
    As your point on Christ, good point. Though we do have non-Christians who support the crucifixion, the Quran does say they were deceived into it. So I guess technically there is not a mass transmission, but there are some reports (which the Quran has an answer for).
    The number of people who believe in something is irrelevant. What matters is the evidence provided in support of what is proposed. Also, it doesn't matter if there are "some reports", if all those reports are unreliable.

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    Quote Originally Posted by karkooshy View Post
    There are volumes upon volumes of literature dedicated solely to proving Islam. I highly doubt you even scratched the surface.



    Your ability to list the usual arguments is not proof that they’re unsound. You claim that they don’t convince you, but you don’t explain why. Not sure how you expect anyone to help.

    Furthermore, not all of what you listed are arguments I presented for you to look over. And I’m not going to defend something I didn’t raise. Look over the arguments presented to you, and critique them. Don’t just tell us that they’re not convincing, tell us why they’re not convincing so that your objections can be answered.



    The number of people who believe in something is irrelevant. What matters is the evidence provided in support of what is proposed. Also, it doesn't matter if there are "some reports", if all those reports are unreliable.
    I never claimed the proofs were unsound, and I've said multiple times in this thread that I don't KNOW why it's so difficult for me. I do not know at all and that's why I'm frustrated, sad, and angry. If I knew I'd approach this entire topic differently, starting with asking questions.

    It's the frustration that you're feeling ("just tell us what's wrong") that I'm feeling. I don't know what's wrong and why I can't find peace in the proofs. I just can't.

    JzkAllah khair for trying to help me

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I'm on the verge of shirk/kufr, and I need a sign

    In truth it probably has something to do with desires. If, for example, I make dua for something and it doesn't happen, then Allah has saved it for the Hereafter, will give me something better, or ward off harm. But how am I supposed to know if any of that has happened, other than trusting Allah? And I would gladly do so, but I need to know that this is actually happening. That I've avoided harm or that I'll see the reward for my patience in the afterlife.

    And that if I spend my life praying and fasting, that I will indeed get a reward for that. And that if I have to struggle through college because I can't take out riba-based loans, that I'll be rewarded for that.

    And even if I'm not rewarded, God has the right to be worshipped and as such I should be doing so. But I want to make sure I am doing the correct worship (i.e. In the right religion).

    These are not issues of doubt per se, but the lack of immediate consequence puts me in a state of questioning.

    EDIT: On that note, not being immediately punished for sin falls into this, not just not getting what I want.
    Last edited by lailahailaHuwa; 24-10-17 at 05:03 PM.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.2.7 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com

MPADC.com Islamic Web Hosting | Muslim Ad Network | Islamic Nasheeds | Islamic Mobile App Developement Android & iPhone | Islamic Web Hosting : Muslim Designers : Labbayk Nasheeds : silk route jilbab: Hijab: : Web Islamic Newsletter: Islamic Web Hosting

Students of Arabic Forum | Hijab Shop