Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Mariyah as a Muslim girl's name?

Salaams,

My wife and I are expecting twin girls Mashallah. We have been thinking of names and we really like the name Mariyah for one of them. We have done some research and it seems like this is an Islamic name. The name also derives from Mariyah al-Qibtiyya, who bore a son to the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh).

Some sources say Mariyah was the Prophet's wife and others say she was not. Whatever her marital status, Mariyah still embraced in Islam and was thought of highly by the Prophet.

However, we are concerned some people in our cultural circles (more the older generation) might look down on the name Mariyah because they may think she was a mere concubine or "slave" of the Prophet. My mother has also expressed doubt about the name Mariyah, but I think this is because she thinks it is too similar to the Catholic name "Maria" and doesn't realise there is a Muzzy variant.

Grateful if my learned brothers and sisters on this site can advise whether choosing Mariyah is a suitable Islamic name for a Muslim baby girl.

Can someone also tell me how it is pronounced? Is it Maria as in the Western way, or "mar-ree-yer"?

Thank you,

Omer...

1of the volatile beings myeverything's Avatar
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1542 Post(s)

Re: Mariyah as a Muslim girl's name?

Mabrook .. May Allah give your wife safe and swift delivery and make them coolness of your eyes

Mariyah is a common name In Saudi Arabia and Arab countries in general and no one looks down upon it ... don't know about other Muslim countries though

BTW If you looking for a name to the other girl I'm suggesting Serene

my nieces are Mariyah and Serene

But you know your culture and surroundings better than us .. if they going to give the girls hard time and trouble them because of their names and that they associate it to concubine or "slave" then better to avoid these names ...

P.S I never heard of a Desi woman with this name though .. maybe due to this reason .. do what's best to your girls
    How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me

1of the volatile beings myeverything's Avatar
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1542 Post(s)

I can suggest other names .. if u decide these 2 names not gonna match with your culture ..
    How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1335 Post(s)

Perhaps it is a Muslim name but I have not actually heard of it being so and it sounds to me like it's pronounced like Maria to be honest. Why not name your daughter Maryam like Maryam AS the mother of Essa AS?

Also to add, better not to make your daughter's life harder by choosing this name. It seems that she may get a hard time from people around her and it's best to reduce harm as much as possible.

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1753 Post(s)

Assalamu alaykom

Mariyah was the name of the slave granted to Prophet (saws) , by the Egyptian Emporer , was she not?

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1753 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
    Salaams,

My wife and I are expecting twin girls Mashallah. We have been thinking of names and we really like the name Mariyah for one of them. We have done some research and it seems like this is an Islamic name. The name also derives from Mariyah al-Qibtiyya, who bore a son to the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh).

Some sources say Mariyah was the Prophet's wife and others say she was not. Whatever her marital status, Mariyah still embraced in Islam and was thought of highly by the Prophet.

However, we are concerned some people in our cultural circles (more the older generation) might look down on the name Mariyah because they may think she was a mere concubine or "slave" of the Prophet. My mother has also expressed doubt about the name Mariyah, but I think this is because she thinks it is too similar to the Catholic name "Maria" and doesn't realise there is a Muzzy variant.

Grateful if my learned brothers and sisters on this site can advise whether choosing Mariyah is a suitable Islamic name for a Muslim baby girl.

Can someone also tell me how it is pronounced? Is it Maria as in the Western way, or "mar-ree-yer"?

Thank you,

Omer...
    Ahh

Sorry I didn't read the entire post. Got lost in my own thoughts , trying to figure out who was Mariya and who was Sophia(ra) .. Always mix the two , seeing that both their names are relevant in western culture.

Why would it not be suitable though ? The Prophet accepted her and did not change her name , so is that not proof for it's validity ?
    Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 17-10-17 at 07:35 PM.

Odan
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1236 Post(s)

I recently had a daughter and named her Maariyah. But it was not my choice. My wife really really wanted that name, but I wanted a name with better biographies behind it and better meaning. Maariyah also is too close to Maria, and I didn't want confusion. However, my teacher advised me to let my wife have her way with this one, since the name for our first daughter met all of my criteria. So after still trying to convince my wife for a name like Hajar or Maryam, I finally gave in after the baby was born. Still not happy about it, but may Allah bless her and make her among the righteous.

My first daughter is Safiyah. Other good names are Ruqayyah, Nusaybah, Rumaysah, Ayesha, Khadijah, Khansa, etc, etc.

My suggestion would be Nusaybah and Rumaysah. Both were warrior ladies.

Oh, just to add, my mom and sisters also really wanted Maariyah. And we're desi.
    Last edited by abdulsidd; 17-10-17 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    723 Post(s)
    Quoted
    953 Post(s)

Maariyah/Mariyah is a perfectly fine Muslim name to have; Mariyah Qibtiyyah (Radiallahu Anha) was a very pious woman and gave Rasulullah a son, Ibrahim (radiallahu anhu) who he adored, until Ibrahim passed away in infancy.

If it wasn't a good name, don't you think the ulema would have actively taught us to refrain from using it? Any of the the Sahabiyaat names are perfectly okay for parents to use and rather, it should be encouraged.

edit: arabic is مارية

so with a long meem
    Last edited by Meriadoc; 17-10-17 at 07:55 PM.
    ⚔ Even in death may you be triumphant ⚔
    U.F Sadaqah Jariyah Project

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1753 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abdulsidd View Post
    I recently had a daughter and named her Maariyah. But it was not my choice. My wife really really wanted that name, but I wanted a name with better biographies behind it and better meaning. Maariyah also is too close to Maria, and I didn't want confusion. However, my teacher advised me to let my wife have her way with this one, since the name for our first daughter met all of my criteria. So after still trying to convince my wife for a name like Hajar or Maryam, I finally gave in after the baby was born. Still not happy about it, but may Allah bless her and make her among the righteous.

My first daughter is Safiyah. Other good names are Ruqayyah, Nusaybah, Rumaysah, Ayesha, Khadijah, Khansa, etc, etc.

My suggestion would be Nusaybah and Rumaysah. Both were warrior ladies.

Oh, just to add, my mom and sisters also really wanted Maariyah. And we're desi.
    Salamo alaykom

Who was khansa?

Odan
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1236 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
    Salamo alaykom

Who was khansa?
    A poet sahabiyyah. She was patient with the martyrdom of three of her sons.

Odan
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1236 Post(s)

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1753 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abdulsidd View Post
    SubhaanAllah , radhi Allahu anha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thank you to all my brothers and sisters for your replies. I appreciate that Mariyah was a respected and pious figure in Islam. I guess I was just worried that some with misunderstood beliefs about her background may cause unwanted opinion, but it seems that would be unlikely.

In any case, we are no veering towards the name 'Sofia'. I believe this is also a Muslim name that means "Beautiful. Can anyone please tell me how this is pronounced. Is it SO-fee-ya or so-FEE-ya?

AmantuBillahi - you mentioned the name Sophia (albeit with a 'ph'). How would you pronounce it?

abdulsidd - how do you pronounce your daughter's name Safiyah?