Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1300 Post(s)

(Halaal) Aspects of Different Cultures that Impressed You

Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah.

Just a little 'non-serious' thread to discuss certain (halaal) customs from cultures other than yours that you were impressed by. If you want, you could mention something from your own culture, too, that you really like or appreciate... We have quite a few different nationalities of people on the forum, so hopefully we'll see a nice mix of replies, inshaa'aAllah.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    909 Post(s)

Re: (Halaal) Aspects of Different Cultures that Impressed You

Quote Originally Posted by Fakhri View Post
    I remember noticing during my brief stay in the US that the people there seemed to be a lot more talkative with eachother despite being strangers. Seemed like strangers on the morning commute for example would strike up quite long and friendly conversations. Not really something you see here.

Could just be the area I was in though.
    (The people there did generally seem quite friendly, Ahamdulillah. Was expecting things to be a little more problematic since it was a few years back now)

When i went US (it was yrs ago when i was jaahil)
    People were friendly but thats coz they probably didnt know i was muslim
    There very stupid though alot of them are dumb one guy tried saying ethiopia and said utopia instead
    Alot of tramps and crackheads

Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1300 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
    When i went US (it was yrs ago when i was jaahil)
    People were friendly but thats coz they probably didnt know i was muslim
    There very stupid though alot of them are dumb one guy tried saying ethiopia and said utopia instead
    Alot of tramps and crackheads
    Hmmm... The thing is, I did look quite clearly like a Muslim and it was when there was still of a lot of the tension from all the warmongering going on.

I remember they had soldiers at the airport. They held me up, asked about my reason for visiting, looked at my passport and asked why I'd been to Saudi... The funny thing was, as soon as I said it was for a pilgrimage, the African American questioning me suddenly went from being ultra serious to very friendly. I was actually quite surprised at how quickly he'd changed his whole demeanor and he just sort of ushered me on my way.
    Last edited by Fakhri; 16-10-17 at 11:37 PM.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1755 Post(s)

Assalamu alaykom

Ive found ..

Arabs to be really humble and easy to connect with.

South east Asians to have zeal and love for following all the Sunnat , both inwardly and outwardly.

Asians ( Oriental ) to be very humble and avoiding any irritation , other than their terrible driving skills. ( It had to be mentioned , I'm sorry )

Afghans for loving and respecting Sunni Islam , even if they themselves were not practicing.

Somalians for generally avoiding bid'ah in worship , being cool , and easy to get along with.

White people for .. @Spicen .. (Jk) ..

Hebrews for having a cool language and slick money saving tactics.

Iranians for .. Hmm .. Shouldnt praise myself.
    Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 17-10-17 at 12:01 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    909 Post(s)

Hmmm... The thing is, I did look quite clearly like a Muslim and it was when there was still of a lot of the tension from all the warmongering going on.

I remember they had soldiers at the airport. They held me up, asked about my reason for visiting, looked at my passport and asked why I'd been to Saudi... The funny thing was, as soon as I said it was for a pilgrimage, the African American questioning me suddenly went from being ultra serious to very friendly. I was actually quite surprised at how quickly he'd changed his whole demeanor and he just sort of ushered me on my way.
    Oh they stopped me as well for 4 hrs i sat in the airport
    Me my fam and a bunch of mexican people

But im talking about outside the actual citizens

Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2678 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ya'sin View Post
    Lol

Akhni usually has the potatoe chunks right?

Tell me more, I have to learn the difference otherwise *gulps

They'll kick me out of the kitchen, I'll have nowhere to go

Lmso
    In biryani the masala and rice are layered, the meat can be raw. And it takes much longer to cook, as its cooked over a much lower heat. It can have potatoes.

Akni uses precooked meat, almost always has potatoes and is not layered.

Guess what

She left Britain for America

Obviously, she has lost the plot now

Wait for it
    @-qed-

you wot mate
    I remember noticing during my brief stay in the US that the people there seemed to be a lot more talkative with eachother despite being strangers. Seemed like strangers on the morning commute for example would strike up quite long and friendly conversations. Not really something you see here.

(The people there did generally seem quite friendly, Ahamdulillah. Was expecting things to be a little more problematic since it was a few years back now)
    No they actually are generally friendlier. More accepting of strangers, and are more likely to help a stranger. It surprises me all the time.
    Ya Rab! When you give me wealth, do not take away my happiness. When you give me strength, do not take away my intelligence. When you give me victory, do not take away my humility. When you give me humility, do not take away my dignity.

Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9274 Post(s)

@-qed-

Thanks for making it clear. I used to think both can be called biryani because it's just rice mixed with meat.

But no it's not, biryani is tastier. Akhni is easier to make I feel.

Biryani is more time consuming, the meat tastes so much better in it.
    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Swedish people (I was born and raised there my entire life) have many good sides. Some of them:

They are always on point when it comes to keeping track on time! It's tabu to get late to a meeting or something else important.

Very simple food to cook (the country of potatoes). But it's realy delicious!

They have strict manners on basically everything.

You're weird if you don't exercise. Most of the Swedes are in shape and we don't have obesity anywhere!

We are not social that much, which I find good. That way, you don't have to worry about a stranger talking to you. No one makes small talk to someone they don't know.

Swedes rarely gets mad. Ofcourse they get annoyed but never tries to show it. And I mean it, when they fight, it just look like two friends talking.

They respect women alot, really.

Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1300 Post(s)

What got me thinking about this was something I saw a few years back - it was a gesture that I hadn't really seen before. (Could be more common than I thought, I don't know.)

This was two middle-aged men of equal standing (Italian), one quickly greeted the other but instead of a handshake or a hug, he nodded, clasped the other man's hand in both palms then raised it towards himself and very quickly kissed the top of his own closed palms.

It was all done quite quickly and very gracefully.
    For some reason, to me that one gesture seemed to capture respectfulness, gracefulness, affection all so well.

I wonder, is anyone aware of this being something customary in Italian culture?
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

What got me thinking about this was something I saw a few years back - it was a gesture that I hadn't really seen before. (Could be more common than I thought, I don't know.)

This was two middle-aged men of equal standing (Italian), one quickly greeted the other but instead of a handshake or a hug, he nodded, clasped the other man's hand in both palms then raised it towards himself and very quickly kissed the top of his own closed palms.

It was all done quite quickly and very gracefully.
    For some reason, to me that one gesture seemed to capture respectfulness, gracefulness, affection all so well.

I wonder, is anyone aware of this being something customary in Italian culture?
    I don't know really, never saw middle aged men do it like this. But I do it myself to elders out of respect. The difference is that I kiss the elders hand instead. Didn't know until I saw people from Tunis do it.

Sometimes, I kiss their foreheads too. I only do this to elders I know and are close me, I don't give a kiss to every old person I see on the street.

Other than that, I prefer to shake hands. To much contact (aka hugs) are to uncomfortable for me.

Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1300 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P1RAT3N View Post
    I don't know really, never saw middle aged men do it like this. But I do it myself to elders out of respect. The difference is that I kiss the elders hand instead. Didn't know until I saw people from Tunis do it.

Sometimes, I kiss their foreheads too. I only do this to elders I know and are close me, I don't give a kiss to every old person I see on the street.

Other than that, I prefer to shake hands. To much contact (aka hugs) are to uncomfortable for me.
    MaaahaAllah. Alhamdulillah.

Yes. Kissing the hand is part of a lot of cultures, but as sister has mentioned, usually to elders or a person of authority/special status. This was between two people who were of very similar social standing and age so no real seniority.

It was very graceful and respectful whilst also showing a level of affection.

In any case, that had me wondering about other little gestures, customs , etc other cultures had that were similar.

We have something that is controversial called 'qadam bosi' (I think?) In Asian culture where a person will typically kneel then touch the feet of a person and then touch or gesture towards their own nose/face (?)...

There's a lot of debate as to whether that's permitted or not - at least there used to be, from what I remember. It's a gesture a person might do to parents and in laws, though mostly.

Aside from the questionable nature in terms of permissibility, it did come across as being a little too much. I don't think it's very common these days, either.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2678 Post(s)

@-qed-

Thanks for making it clear. I used to think both can be called biryani because it's just rice mixed with meat.

But no it's not, biryani is tastier. Akhni is easier to make I feel.

Biryani is more time consuming, the meat tastes so much better in it.
    Akni is definitely the inferior dish. But I agree it's easier and quicker to make.
    Ya Rab! When you give me wealth, do not take away my happiness. When you give me strength, do not take away my intelligence. When you give me victory, do not take away my humility. When you give me humility, do not take away my dignity.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

Wanted to put something in , but can't think of anything.
    Need to travel more. And/or interact more of different cultures

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

So i live in the UAE and something I found here that was very interesting is the fact that I see so many people in malls holding hands. Like men holding each other's hands. And they greet each other by touching their noses together. Maybe its because I lived in the west for a while that I find that so strange but there is nothing haram in the action. There just friends or brothers even just hanging out. I even noticed that the little kids here are so much more affectionate compared to other places. They will run up to me and hug me and tell me they love me and things like that, which is not something that I ever experienced in any other culture.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

It happens even more in canada. Everywhere you go someone tells you their life story or you tell them yours. Every morning there are tons of people in tim hortons or mcdonalds who go their just to talk to new people. Its very nice how friendly everyone is.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aelmo View Post
    So i live in the UAE and something I found here that was very interesting is the fact that I see so many people in malls holding hands. Like men holding each other's hands. And they greet each other by touching their noses together. Maybe its because I lived in the west for a while that I find that so strange but there is nothing haram in the action. There just friends or brothers even just hanging out. I even noticed that the little kids here are so much more affectionate compared to other places. They will run up to me and hug me and tell me they love me and things like that, which is not something that I ever experienced in any other culture.
    That's nice, the part where the kids run up and hugging. Gives a warm feeling.
    This is what humanity needs. Kids are an inspiration.

Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1300 Post(s)

Just saw this thread again and was reminded... From the Bangladeshi culture, something which I think is nice about the language (alhamdulillah) is how we have separate pronouns conveying respect which we usually use with elders and those senior to us.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah.

Just a little 'non-serious' thread to discuss certain (halaal) customs from cultures other than yours that you were impressed by. If you want, you could mention something from your own culture, too, that you really like or appreciate... We have quite a few different nationalities of people on the forum, so hopefully we'll see a nice mix of replies, inshaa'aAllah.
    the kufaar in general and how they strive for their baatil beliefs to spread and become superior over all else. (not the false beliefs itself obv)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Always admired the celibate monks. Orthodox Christians, Indians etc.