Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

How important is it to know how to drive?

Assalamu alaykum

How many of you drive? How easy has it made your life? Could you imagine a life without knowing how to drive?

Hit me up with some motivation please as my test is coming up and i am so close to just giving up as I just get so nervous and do some really dumb stuff

ive got a phobia of buses and I can't uber for the rest or my life so I do need to pass but it's just so hard controlling my nerves and it's costing me £50 per week for lessons, I can't really keep on forking out to only fail.

Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9178 Post(s)

Re: How important is it to know how to drive?

Driving is like a requirement, it gets easier once u get yr license, when u own a car you can go to town to pick something up in 15 mins whereas by public transport it would take about 2 hours and its such a hasstle

I know ur a sister but if a potential didnt have a drivers license I'd be so put off lol
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9428 Post(s)

How important is it to know how to drive?

Depends on where you live.

I live in US in a city where public transport is terrible. Been driving since I was 15.

Just try to relax. Do your best.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aynina View Post
    Driving is like a requirement, it gets easier once u get yr license, when u own a car you can go to town to pick something up in 15 mins whereas by public transport it would take about 2 hours and its such a hasstle

I know ur a sister but if a potential didnt have a drivers license I'd be so put off lol

I just get so nervous so I don't know how I will pass the test! It would make my life a million times easier if I drove but I just don't know if I'll be able to drive properly on the test and it's giving me anxiety just thinking about it!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoic Believer View Post

I live in US in a city where public transport is terrible. Been driving since I was 15.
    I'm from the UK. I can't uses buses as I have a phobia of them & it gets annoying having to uber all the time. Walkings not much of an option either as I live quite far from most places (would probably take me 1hr 45 mins to walk into town!)

Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9428 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_ View Post

I'm from the UK. I can't uses buses as I have a phobia of them & it gets annoying having to uber all the time. Walkings not much of an option either as I live quite far from most places (would probably take me 1hr 45 mins to walk into town!)
    Yeah. Just make dua and try your best. There is nothing wrong if you fail. Eventually you will succeed iA.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Insha Allah. I've already failed twice when I was 18, though I am glad I did as my intentions for driving at that time were not good.

If anyone has any tips on how to relax and calm my nerves, please share. I've heard eating a banana (or two) is good for calming nerves so I'll try that but more tips would be good.

Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9178 Post(s)

I just get so nervous so I don't know how I will pass the test! It would make my life a million times easier if I drove but I just don't know if I'll be able to drive properly on the test and it's giving me anxiety just thinking about it!
    I failed the first time too sis its not a big deal just dont think of it as such a big thing sis, you might fail, its okay, i mean you know yr parents might not pass the test even though they've been driving for so long, doesn't mean they cant drive, it just happens that ppl make mistakes sometimes
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

Insha Allah. I've already failed twice when I was 18, though I am glad I did as my intentions for driving at that time were not good.

If anyone has any tips on how to relax and calm my nerves, please share. I've heard eating a banana (or two) is good for calming nerves so I'll try that but more tips would be good.
    Read your adhkaar with meaning
    Make dua
    Know that Allah swt only wants the best for you
    Don't put extreme pressure on yourself
    If you pass you're safe for the roads, if you don't you're not - no big deal
    £50 a week may be better than lying in your grave wishing you had more time to repent
    There job is just to assess that you will not be a hindrance to yourself or other drivers so u do ur part and let them do there's

I passed on my 3rd time and my driving instructor said that she always felt like I was driving on a minefield without a worry in the world lol. I am a pretty rubbish driver though - like I end up hitting stationary objects. I don't even know how.
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

I failed the first time too sis its not a big deal just dont think of it as such a big thing sis, you might fail, its okay, i mean you know yr parents might not pass the test even though they've been driving for so long, doesn't mean they cant drive, it just happens that ppl make mistakes sometimes
    true sis. I guess I'm just putting pressure on myself because the test is changing on 4 December so if I don't pass, I'll have to take the new test which looks harder!

Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9178 Post(s)

true sis. I guess I'm just putting pressure on myself because the test is changing on 4 December so if I don't pass, I'll have to take the new test which looks harder!
    Tbh its not so hard when u drive in the snow or ice, u have to drive superslow so that makes it easier to do the test, do make sure ur car is hot so the windows dont get damp

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaNdOm View Post
    Make dua
    £50 a week may be better than lying in your grave wishing you had more time to repent
    There job is just to assess that you will not be a hindrance to yourself or other drivers so u do ur part and let them do there's

I passed on my 3rd time and my driving instructor said that she always felt like I was driving on a minefield without a worry in the world lol. I am a pretty rubbish driver though - like I end up hitting stationary objects. I don't even know how.
    good tips

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)

There plenty of Youtube videos. Just search 'How to pass the practical test' or 'Driving test tips', most of it is just reinforcement but it might help.
    Pray. Fast. Zakat. Pilgrimage. Allah.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

i am obsessed with the driving videos & watch them quite a bit.

i had a bad lesson yesterday so my confidence is quite low. In all fairness to me, it was my first time driving in the dark!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Tbh its not so hard when u drive in the snow or ice, u have to drive superslow so that makes it easier to do the test, do make sure ur car is hot so the windows dont get damp
    My main problem is that I drive too fast LOL so I'd defo fail if I had to drive in the snow!!!

Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9178 Post(s)

My main problem is that I drive too fast LOL so I'd defo fail if I had to drive in the snow!!!
    Lolll me too i slip n stuff but on the test just slow it down

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

Pretend u are a granny taking 600 unboxed eggs on your journey. You could wear a grey hijab (grey hair) that day to get u in the role
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Pretend u are a granny taking 600 unboxed eggs on your journey. You could wear a grey hijab (grey hair) that day to get u in the role
    Lolll. I've got a lesson soon and I'm going to drive as slow as I can so my eggs don't crack! Haha I will definitely remember this when I'm driving!

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

Lolll. I've got a lesson soon and I'm going to drive as slow as I can so my eggs don't crack! Haha I will definitely remember this when I'm driving!
    lol let us know how it goes

islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Meh, speed and make an omelet
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Odan
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6625 Post(s)

Make dua

You have answered the question.

Perhaps go on an advanced training course. It's not just you on the roads. All cars should be fitted with black boxes to detect poor driving. Too many mistakes in a short period of time and your licence should be taken off you.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)

salaams to all

not important for women
    it only encourages them to leave home more often

you do get a few exceptions but most women dont fall into this category.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
    jazakallah
    Sufyaan Thawri "Whoever is very popular with his relations and neighbours, we suspect him to be compromising in preaching the true teachings of religion."
    very good site for English bayaans in MP3 format-check it out- u wont be disappointed: http://www.musjidnoor.za.net/index.html & http://alhaadi.org.za/majlis-program...downloads.html

Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1297 Post(s)

Track down the owner of the car below and ask for lessons (?)

download.jpg

In seriousness, like other have said, adhkaar, Du'aas, and accepting what will happen... Obvious of course, but to take a lot more lessons leading up to the day of the test? Maybe a lesson or an extended one on the same day or just before going to the centre, so the nerves are settled a lot more, inshaaAllah.

I remember on one of my tests... I'd never ever had problems with them before, but on the day, just as I came out of the centre at the start of the test...

I clipped a bollard with the wing-mirror. :[
    Had to take the rest of the test knowing I'd failed pretty much on the first minute. :]
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fakhri View Post
    Track down the owner of the car below and ask for lessons (?)

download.jpg

In seriousness, like other have said, adhkaar, Du'aas, and accepting what will happen... Obvious of course, but to take a lot more lessons leading up to the day of the test? Maybe a lesson or an extended one on the same day or just before going to the centre, so the nerves are settled a lot more, inshaaAllah.

I remember on one of my tests... I'd never ever had problems with them before, but on the day, just as I came out of the centre at the start of the test...

I clipped a bollard with the wing-mirror. :[
    Had to take the rest of the test knowing I'd failed pretty much on the first minute. :]
    I can literally do parallel parking with my eyes closed. On my first test my instructor told me beforehand that if I get that and fail, he will shoot me! I went to the test and guess what, completely went blank and kept stalling. I just couldn't believe it, gives me anxiety just thinking about it!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msmoorad View Post
    salaams to all

not important for women
    it only encourages them to leave home more often

you do get a few exceptions but most women dont fall into this category.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
    jazakallah
    It's actually better than getting an uber (with a male driver)

I'm not one to leave the house without necessity, but it will make doing things like visiting my family, going to appointments and going to halaqas a lot easier.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

lol let us know how it goes
    She just made me re cap on my manoeuvres today so I didn't have a chance to speed!

I just don't understand, I did the reverse around the corner perfectly when she taught me first and today I just didn't get it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

I think I am too dumb to drive.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Assalamu alaykum

How many of you drive? How easy has it made your life? Could you imagine a life without knowing how to drive?

Hit me up with some motivation please as my test is coming up and i am so close to just giving up as I just get so nervous and do some really dumb stuff

ive got a phobia of buses and I can't uber for the rest or my life so I do need to pass but it's just so hard controlling my nerves and it's costing me £50 per week for lessons, I can't really keep on forking out to only fail.

It is a very useful skill to have. Regardless of the day-to-day, if a distressing situation arises and transporting someone/something is required, then you are another person (you) capable of doing it.

Telling yourself "I am too dumb to drive" will also decrease your motivation and courage. Be brave.

Lastly, and this may help if you're Asian/penny-pincher, Uber is expensive.

Wanting to save some money for not using an Uber every time should motivate you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by horizon View Post

It is a very useful skill to have. Regardless of the day-to-day, if a distressing situation arises and transporting someone/something is required, then you are another person (you) capable of doing it.

Telling yourself "I am too dumb to drive" will also decrease your motivation and courage. Be brave.

Lastly, and this may help if you're Asian/penny-pincher, Uber is expensive.

Wanting to save some money for not using an Uber every time should motivate you.
    you're right I should stop telling myself I am too dumb to drive!

i just don't understand bay parking & reverse around the corner, It's so complicated.

Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9268 Post(s)

It's important

I drove to work and back, on the rare occasion I would go to the shops to get what I need

Alhamdullilah it was useful

Passed at 19, third time round
    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9268 Post(s)

I think I am too dumb to drive.
    You're not, I used to feel the same, all praise is to Allah I managed to pass.

Anyone can drive, just focus and relax. Pretend you have a child passenger at the back.
    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ya'sin View Post
    You're not, I used to feel the same, all praise is to Allah I managed to pass.

Anyone can drive, just focus and relax. Pretend you have a child passenger at the back.
    Alhumdulillah. Yes, I do need to focus & relax. Once I master the manoeuvres, I hope I'll be alright!

Odan
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1111 Post(s)

Dear ukhti, more you drive, more confident you become. Don't worry, just chill out and you be fine.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    849 Post(s)

Just try to relax. Do your best.
    Same for Canada but more so. Our inter-city transport is terrible and the major cities are much further apart for bus service and there is very little train service in western Canada.
    trying to get from one province to another on a bus can be a complete nightmare.

IF you live in a major city in Canada driving for basic daily needs and work my not be essential but if you live in town or rural area driving is essential.

I would think that in Major cities in europe that driving would be optional as the public transport system is much more developed by never tried it myself.

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samsandman View Post
    Same for Canada but more so. Our inter-city transport is terrible and the major cities are much further apart for bus service and there is very little train service in western Canada.
    trying to get from one province to another on a bus can be a complete nightmare.

IF you live in a major city in Canada driving for basic daily needs and work my not be essential but if you live in town or rural area driving is essential.

I would think that in Major cities in europe that driving would be optional as the public transport system is much more developed by never tried it myself.
    How come u left the jinn section

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    849 Post(s)

How come u left the jinn section
    Am I not allowed out?
    I was not aware that I was grounded,Mom.

If someone has a question in that section I'll answer it as truthfully as I can
    If someone needs support in that section I'll support them the best I can
    If have something beneficial to post in that section,I'll post it.

Odan
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6625 Post(s)

I think in Europe it's hit and miss. Some countries have it much better than others. For example bus services in the UK, most cities have it pretty good, rural is a problem. Trains are poor and the cost is prohibitive. Some other european countries have far better train links and are much cheaper.

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

Am I not allowed out?
    I was not aware that I was grounded,Mum.

If someone has a question in that section I'll answer it as truthfully as I can
    If someone needs support in that section I'll support them the best I can
    If have something beneficial to post in that section,I'll post it.
    I see.

Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9268 Post(s)

Alhumdulillah. Yes, I do need to focus & relax. Once I master the manoeuvres, I hope I'll be alright!
    I don't know how to park nicely
    The problem is my instructor didn't teach me that

So I wait when the parking place is empty

I hate manouevers

Love driving straight great at that lmso

Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9268 Post(s)

If a sister has money and a job, I'd encourage her to learn driving, it's a good skill.