Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    849 Post(s)

What was the siege engine used at Taif?

salam alaikum

I'm confused as to the nature of the siege engine used at Taif?

I've heard it described as both a catapult and a ballista.

I'm assuming this was something that the Arabs obtained from the Romans at some point through trade or some other means, as it is only mentioned in that one siege like it was a single,one of a kind item and isn't a piece of technology that would've been common in Arabia at that time.

The Greeks and especially the Romans were very familiar in building and using siege engine like the catapults(the english word is of greek origin),ballista,gastrophenes,etc.

Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3804 Post(s)

Re: What was the siege engine used at Taif?

Quote Originally Posted by Samsandman View Post
    salam alaikum

I'm confused as to the nature of the siege engine used at Taif?

I've heard it described as both a catapult and a ballista.

I'm assuming this was something that the Arabs obtained from the Romans at some point through trade or some other means, as it is only mentioned in that one siege like it was a single,one of a kind item and isn't a piece of technology that would've been common in Arabia at that time.

The Greeks and especially the Romans were very familiar in building and using siege engine like the catapults(the english word is of greek origin),ballista,gastrophenes,etc.
    Wa alaykumus salaam,

Allahu alim on the type of machine, but I understand it was taken from the Jews after Khaybar as they had also made money in selling arms to different warring arab tribes before their own destruction by the Muslims
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    849 Post(s)

Thank you for your reply

Still leaves me scratching my head as to how it got to arabia ,Not that I'm doubting that it actually existed or was used. it's just such an odd thing for the time and place

I'm going to have to assume that it was really a very small ballista or catapult ,weighing only a couple hundreds pounds ie half a camel load as it would have been carried by camel as it was obviously move hundreds of Km from khaybar to taif easily as from my understanding of arabia at that time had no proper roads like in the Roman empire or Greece as Arabs used the camel for transport and not chariots,wagons or other wheeled vehicles needing proper roman style roads.

It's a very interesting item from the seerah

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samsandman View Post
    Thank you for your reply

Still leaves me scratching my head as to how it got to arabia ,Not that I'm doubting that it actually existed or was used. it's just such an odd thing for the time and place

I'm going to have to assume that it was really a very small ballista or catapult ,weighing only a couple hundreds pounds ie half a camel load as it would have been carried by camel as it was obviously move hundreds of Km from khaybar to taif easily as from my understanding of arabia at that time had no proper roads like in the Roman empire or Greece as Arabs used the camel for transport and not chariots,wagons or other wheeled vehicles needing proper roman style roads.

It's a very interesting item from the seerah
    it probably can be dismantled and re assembled make transport easy peasy, its not far fetched though since tribes didnt exactly have massive walls around their cities with maybe a few exception thus it was not seen but once the muslim came across some they saw the need for it