+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Advice

Salaamualaikum
    I have a problem with speaking loud. It is something that i don't notice until someone tells me to lower my voice. I know that it is unlawful as it says this in Surah Luqman:
    "And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."
    If anyone has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated. Jzk

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Re: Advice

I'm not sure what advice one can give except to say that you should be more aware when you speak?

Perhaps speak less as well.

How loud is "loud" in your situation? If you are sitting in 1 room and there are people in another room, will they be able to hear you loud and clear? Do you have a loud/audible laugh that is distinct?

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)

Advice

I have the opposite problem akhi

I just have a naturally quiet voice

It takes up so much energy and effort for me to just speak at a normal volume

I have to try so hard to project my voice

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuraba321 View Post
    I have the opposite problem akhi

I just have a naturally quiet voice

It takes up so much energy and effort for me to just speak at a normal volume

I have to try so hard to project my voice

SubhanAllah, consider it a blessing that your voice is naturally not loud or similar to that of a donkey

There is not much I can advise except to maybe see an ENT to make sure the tone/pitch of your voice is not damaging your vocal cords?

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1335 Post(s)

Well sister, you don't want your voice too soft lest it may entice non-mahrams but then again, you don't want your voice too loud, lest you may attract the attention of non-mahrams. My best advice is to think before speaking and try to speak less. Everytime you want to open your mouth to say something, first think, is this appropriate? And then remember that you need to adjust your voice according to what your situation is (so practice lowering it around females where your voice may go soft but speak firmly when around men).

And to add please sis, get a fatwa from a scholar; it's dangerous to try to interpret the Quran on your own when you have no context when this verse was revealed and what other possible explanations can be derived from it from the various recorded ahadeeth. Also there is heavy complexity in the arabic language which again, needs a scholar to properly asses.