Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Question Questions to reverts: Dawaah, etc.

I have a series of questions to the revert brothers/sisters on UF. Please answer any of the questions that are within your capacity.

1) Was Islam preached to you? (did someone give you the message of Islam)

2) If "yes" to 1), what medium was used to preach Islam to you? (online communication, face-to-face)

3) If "yes" to 1), what was the main focal point of the message that made you realize you wish to be Muslim?

4) How long did it take you to (mostly) adapt to the way/life of Islam?

5) How long did it take you to memorize Surah Faatihah and a few other Suraahs so that you could perform Salaah?

6) Do you think that Dawaah (spreading of Islam) can be done online?

7) Did/Do you face any difficulties with your non-Muslim families after embracing Islam?

8) If "yes" to 7) how severe/challenging are these difficulties?

9) What were your top 3 online resources for learning about Islam?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Re: Questions to reverts: Dawaah, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by horizon View Post
    No, it was a bunch of obnoxious Islam-haters who pointed my attention to Islam. I did not like these people. So, I thought that there had to be something really good about Islam.

2) If "yes" to 1), what medium was used to preach Islam to you? (online communication, face-to-face)
    None. I just read up on Islam on the internet.

3) If "yes" to 1), what was the main focal point of the message that made you realize you wish to be Muslim?
    The rejection of man-made law.

Salat/dua : mostly Ramadan : partially Zakaat : partially

Some things are hard to implement alone. Nobody else in my environment is Muslim.

5) How long did it take you to memorize Surah Faatihah and a few other Suraahs so that you could perform Salaah?
    I didn't. I cannot say it. It is in Arabic. I hear it for Duhr, Asr, Mgrb, and Isha.

Yes.

7) Did/Do you face any difficulties with your non-Muslim families after embracing Islam?
    No, it is rather the other way around. I make difficulties to them. (about clothes, food, ...)

They obviously always cave in. I am the boss here.

islamqa.com, quran.com, wikiislam.net

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1756 Post(s)

I have a series of questions to the revert brothers/sisters on UF. Please answer any of the questions that are within your capacity.

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

1) Yes , a significant amount of da'wah was given to me.

2) All da'wah was given online at the age of 14-16 by an Egyptian brother who was about 10 years older than me. We met through a video game and spoke extensively on MSN ( back when it was popular )

3) Proofs for the Quran being from the Creator , and the inferiority of everything other than Islam.

4) I was too young to comit , and my immediate family / high school friends put some pressure and persuasian to hold off on becoming Muslim. Eventually accepted Islam two months prior to my 19th birthday , after reading the Quran with patience and an open heart. The da'wah of Allah is the most powerful da'wah if one is patient , and the heart is open.

5) Immediately after reading and internally submitting to the revelation. But it was easy , given the situation I was in. I did not have much responsibilities at the time. I really had nothing other to do than memorise the prayer and read the Quran. The situation was a blessing. Took maybe 5 days to memorise it all ( Prayer / 2 surahs ) Though I was reciting it completely incorrectly and only realised after listening to a recitation online from alfasy , what the Quran actually sounds like.

6) Yes dawah can be given online but your approach and expectation needs to be different. Setting matters , building a relationship with the one you are speaking to also matters. You are a completely stranger , your intentions are unknown. To me , every youtube commenter is evil. Its just the vibe I get. I don't even engage in any youtube comment debates because the setting does not promote truth seeking.

There are different methods of engaging in religious discourse.

1) Dawah
    2) Refutation

Refuting something is almost like a defense to an attack. Dawah is trying to change someone to bring them to the truth. Your refutations with harsh language does not make someone become a muslim. Friendly invitation with some care and concern touches the heart.

There is a verse in the Quran which says " and speak to them a word that touches their very soul " ( on phone , can't get it just now )

7) Somewhat but my family respects me , and my mother is one of extremely liberal ladies. She once said " If you want to become a religious Jew , go for it ! " .. Yeah .. : )

8) at 15 they and certain friends persuaded me otherwise only becsuse of my age and lack of knowledge. They were concerned of losing me and being brainwashed by people online. My Islam is based on reason though and always was , since the dawah given. So , its hard to oppose me , I know what I am talking about and I can recognize your flaws.

9) Watched every single youtube video of all the popular du'at , read Quran ( to the point where I can tell if you misquote or add in a verse ) , online forums watching / investigating what Atharis / Asharis discuss .. And now I focus on debates because I find those the most stimulating ( Christians / atheist / Sub-Sunni groups vs Sunni Islam )

Sorry if I missed anything , hope there is some benefit in sharing this with you.

Wa iyyakum

Salamo alaykom
    Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 21-09-17 at 03:36 PM.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    849 Post(s)

1.) yes but the ones preaching were hypocrites or murjiah

2.) face to face

3.) They mainly focused on the similarities to christianity which only confused me,It was my own understaning of tawheed that cemented my belief

4.) that is an ongoing process but about 2 years for all the major changes to be made.

5.) better part of a year for fatiha due to unusual circumstances and 4-6 months for the 3 quls

6.)Yes but face to face is better. Online is better for follow up and personal study AFTER shahada not for raw dawaah. Islam is a social andcommunity based religion and not conducive to being spread online in an impersonal and isolated manner.

7.)yes

8.) I was not dependent on my family due to my age but they were not cool with it and my father didn't speak to me for a year,My Mom was actually Ok with it at first but figured it was a "phase" and I would stop after a few months but I didn't so she not cool with it anymore.

9.)youtube.com,Sunnah.com,Quran.com, in that order.

i would like to add the most difficult thing about converting was not the quitting drinking,freemixing,bacon etc it is the extreme social isolation it causes for new muslims. your old community thinks of you as a traitor and your new community does not accept you,that is a heart breaking and led many reverts in my area to leave Islam or become extreme in their beliefs(ie joining ISIS)

I can only think of one revert who has been a muslim as long as me locally and he's become a sufi,all the rest left islam or are dead(died fighting for ISIS) or are MIA(libya,tunisia,syria,iraq)

I can say what has happened to the many of the new sisters in my area as I don't have any contact with them but the ones I do know of some have become shia after bad marriages or left Islam after bad marriages.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1447 Post(s)

A little bit. Mostly I read about Islam on my own but a Sufi/modernist convinced me to convert.

Online communication

There is a bit more to it but mainly the miracles in the Quran.

I started to practice Islam 4 or 5 months after converting. I completely changed my ways 3-4 months after I began practicing as I was a bit stubborn at first.

I played a video each time I prayed. After praying for a while I ended up memorizing everything the man recited.

Definitely.

Yes

It was very severe. Things got easier after a while, alhamdulillah.

Islamqa and different YouTube channels.
    Last edited by .khayriyyah.; 21-09-17 at 06:07 PM.

Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9198 Post(s)

1) no
    4) about a year (incl learning about theway of life)
    5) about an hour or 2 (over 2 days)
    6) definately (i learned a lot through chatislamonline.org)
    7) yes
    8) non accepting of wearing headscarf and dificulties with salah
    9) chatislamonline.org, youtube, and yahoo questions and answers probably.. when i was already muslim Ummah.com/forum taught me a lot in the sense that when there were discussions about stuff i didnt know i would look it up etc.
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3627 Post(s)

1, no. My first proper exposure to Islam was finding a Quran in a small library. SubhanAllah the Quran is powerful this was exactly what I needed

2, na
    3,na
    4, month or so but I still had some withdrawal pangs from my jahilliyah (meaning I still craved various forms of haram) for a good couple years
    5, couple of weeks
    6, yes definitely Alhamdulilah
    7, heaps but let's not go there
    8, initially quite bad but over time they got easier
    9, www.islamreligion.com was the main one
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

SubhanAllah! Jumaah Mubaarak to all of you and JazakAllah for taking the time to answer.

Your answers will assist me greatly insha-Allah and I hope the rewards are extended to you all as well.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2103 Post(s)

Yes and no. I asked questions of a person who had recently converted and she explained to me certain things. I asked questions of other Muslims and they were reluctant to talk to me about Islam.

Face to face, little by little, being available and ready to answer or find out the answer for me.

Facts about Islam that could not be disputed. Religion for me was a flexible experience and changed depending on the "holy spirit" and what it happened to be saying that day. So to come across a religion based on facts that did not change was what I was looking for but didn't know that quite yet.

I am still finding it hard to adjust and it's ten months on since I converted.

A couple of weeks and I had Surah Fatihaah and about five short surah memorised, enough to perform salah.

Yes BUT, men to men, women to women. It is difficult to separate feelings about Allah (swt) and Islam and the beauty you encounter from the person teaching you these things.

Yes awful problems which I am still facing now on a daily basis. Hostility, worry, aggressive questions, sabotaging my salah, really quite a struggle but Alhamdulillah I am doing okay.

It keeps me awake at night but Alhamdulillah it throws me onto Allah (swt) even more.

Here, islamqa, tafsir site, muslimah's blog (more than three sorry)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)

1. Not everything that i should've know but Yes the most important
    2. Online communication at first and then at the mosque
    3. Felt peace because i was finally agreeing and knew that the truth is the ONENESS of God which could be the only reason i was curious more and more about Islam.
    4. took me 2 months to learn my prayer as best as i can, been going to mosque like 3-4 days per week and learning everyday.. but honestly islamic life is not simple to adapt (depends where u live ofc)
    5. 1-2 weeks for surah Al fatihah and i didnt knew about the short surahs but i choosed the most short so a day or two for each
    6. ofcourse lol thats how it was done to me and many others.
    7. oh yeah many with my family/parents and friends etc, but doesnt matter its Normal because of Change.
    8. Not difficult if u have the brotherhood to support ya in real life, in facebook, skype,phone and ummah too
    9 welll first was Youtube, then facebook through friends and then google (but i really analyze everything i research and ask people about them)
    My cooking Youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvc...UgRZfc4r8YJ0iQ

Don't abuse your body just to feel good, use your body right and you'll feel better - Sparty

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

1) Was Islam preached to you? (did someone give you the message of Islam) No. It was an Islamic lecture on Youtube that led me to learn more about Islam and after a few years of asking questions online and in real life, reading here and there whatever I can find, I said my shahada.

2) If "yes" to 1), what medium was used to preach Islam to you? (online communication, face-to-face) n/a

3) If "yes" to 1), what was the main focal point of the message that made you realize you wish to be Muslim? n/a

A year and a half. I found that I already avoided some things that are haraam in Islam. I didn't avoid them because of religion, I just didn't see the point. Dealing with non muslims without hiding the fact that I am a muslim, is more difficult, but Alhamdulillah when I leave anything for Allah, He always replaces it with better and more barakah in it too.

A month or so. I started offering salah within one month after accepting Islam. Alhamdulillah tons of resources online and real life

I don't see why not. Anything you do for the sake of Allah, inshaAllah will be successful. Ask Him for guidance how to do this, who to team with and so on.

Family gives me some hard time, but more from non muslims at work or in public sometimes also. There are muslims who make me sad, their actions, their words towards a revert like myself. But I didn't accept Islam because of muslims, I accepted Islam because of He who revealed it to His creations.

9) What were your top 3 online resources for learning about Islam? Islamqa, Islamweb, some Islamic YT channels but also important from muslims I know in real life
    Last edited by islamlife00; 25-09-17 at 06:14 AM.
    It was narrated from Jabir bin 'Abdullah that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "O people, fear Allah and be moderate in seeking a living, for no soul will die until it has received all its provision, even if it is slow in coming. So fear Allah and be moderate in seeking provision; take that which is permissible and leave that which is forbidden. " Sunan Ibn Majah

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

1. Yes <3
    2. Online communication on ps3 from a bro in Pakistan.
    3. Well the fact that the Quran is a updated version of the Bible (which i had 0 idea about interested me )
    4.It's still a work in process i'm still young and learning but inshallah I'll be better in the future when i find my wifey.
    5. I'm a slow learner but i used YouTube videos to help.
    6. Yeah, Infact most of the information i obtained about Islam was from online.
    7. I haven't yet told them. I'm scared soo scared and worried but inshallah when i have my own place i will.
    9 mainly YouTube and people i met on dating app.

I Don't have many muslim friends so i come here to chat and make friends with other brothers and sisters
    (Sad to see your account disabled )

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

It was preached to me by a friend but only after I started asking her questions about Islam. She answered all of my questions and is the person I thank today for being Muslim.

It was back and forth emails and face-to-face

Worshipping the Creator and not the creation. In Catholicism I was turned off by idolizing statues and worshipping a grotesque figure of a man nailed to a cross in church. I also explored non-denominational Christianity and I did not feel any connection to God at this church. The preachers just seemed out of touch with their community and money-hungry. The first time I listed to the Quran being recited it touched my heart in a way I can not explain. It felt beautiful.

It took me about a year. Initially I felt a lot of anxiety about approaching the Islamic lifestyle but fortunately I met my husband (also a convert) who eased me into everything.

It took me about a month to perform salaah on my own with Surah Fatihah memorized.

Yes, I think it can be done online. Do you know about the dawah phone number- 888-662-ISLAM? We really need more creative ways to give dawah besides the standard dawah tabling.

I faced some difficulties with my distant family but not with my immediate family. It was not until I became Muslim that I realized just how racist some people in my family were. When I got married is when the pot really got stirred. My husband has a long beard and they had never been around a practicing Muslim before. He helped settle their anxiety about Muslims that look like him being something scary. My parents are now very fond of him and respect my lifestyle. There are still a few xenophobes in my family but I attribute this to mental illness, because why else would someone be a Trump supporter right??

It's somewhat sever to this day. I still feel awkward about attending family reunions where I know there will be alcohol or pork served and I'm the only hijabi. The worst is when there is a get together during Ramadan. I made the mistake of attending a bbq this past summer during Ramadan- they had pork on the grill and were passing beers left and right. I promised myself to never put myself through that again. It was awful. It's just a bit painful because it is my family.

It was a long time ago so I don't really recall. All I remember is watching a few Zakir Naik youtube videos.