Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Question Is is compulsory to make an intention of how many Nawaafil you´re about to offer?

Like, if I´m going to offer Nawaafil, is it compulsory to make an intention about how many you´re about to offer?

If yes, can I just make an intention of offering a minimum number of four for example?

Mentioned
    1120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16476 Post(s)

Re: Is is compulsory to make an intention of how many Nawaafil you´re about to offer?

Intention is the intention to pray. It comes automatically when you want to pray. Intention is not some verbal thing you say.

And no to your question.

Minimum is not four.
    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Re: Is is compulsory to make an intention of how many Nawaafil you´re about to offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
    Intention is the intention to pray. It comes automatically when you want to pray. Intention is not some verbal thing you say.

And no to your question.

Minimum is not four.
    Brother, my question is a bit different. The minimum of four was an example. I meant, if I make the intention to offer four Nawaafil, and if I feel like offering further, can I add further Nawaafil to it without doing the Tasleem?

I know I should´ve phrased my question better.

Mentioned
    1120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16476 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ummati09 View Post
    Brother, my question is a bit different. The minimum of four was an example. I meant, if I make the intention to offer four Nawaafil, and if I feel like offering further, can I add further Nawaafil to it without doing the Tasleem?

I know I should´ve phrased my question better.
    Voluntary prayers are offered 2 by 2. Which 4 nawafil are you talking about specifically?
    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

90279-054
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

And no to your question.

Minimum is not four.
    The Hanbali view is that it is recommended to utter the intention silently for each prayer.

Proof:

فَائِدَةٌ: لَا يُسْتَحَبُّ التَّلَفُّظُ بِالنِّيَّةِ عَلَى أَحَدِ الْوَجْهَيْنِ، وَهُوَ الْمَنْصُوصُ عَنْ أَحْمَدَ قَالَهُ الشَّيْخُ تَقِيُّ الدِّينِ. قَالَ: هُوَ الصَّوَابُ، الْوَجْهُ الثَّانِي: يُسْتَحَبُّ التَّلَفُّظُ بِهَا سِرًّا، وَهُوَ الْمَذْهَبُ، قَدَّمَهُ فِي الْفُرُوعِ، وَجَزَمَ بِهِ ابْنُ عُبَيْدَانَ، وَالتَّلْخِيصِ، وَابْنُ تَمِيمٍ، وَابْنُ رَزِينٍ. قَالَ الزَّرْكَشِيُّ: هُوَ الْأَوْلَى عِنْدَ كَثِيرٍ مِنْ الْمُتَأَخِّرِينَ

"A point of benefit: It is not recommended to utter the intention according to one of two transmissions and it is what is recorded on authority of Ahmad, which ash-Shaykh Taqi ad-Deen said. He said: "And it is what is correct." And the second transmission: It is recommended to utter it secretly and it is the Madh'hab; it was advanced in al-Furu', Ibn Ubaydan asserted so authoritatively, as well as at-Talkhees, Ibn Tameem and Ibn Razeen. Az-Zarkashi said: "It is the most deserving [of being correct] according to the majority of the later scholars..."

Al-Insaaf by al-Mardawi, 1/142

The Shafi'ee view is that it is better to utter the intention:

فأما محّلها فالقلب، فإن نوى بقلبه ونطَق بلسانه، فهو الكمال، وهذا إذا نطق قبل التكبير، ثم كبرّ ناويًا، وإن نطق بلسانه بهما، ولم ينِو بقلبه لم يعتد بهما، وإن نوى بقلبه، ولم ينطق بلسانه أجزأته

"As for its locus [i.e. the intention], then it is the heart. So if one intends with his heart and utters with his tongue, then it is complete. And this is when he utters before the Takbeer, then utters the Takbeer while intending. And if he utters with his tongue both and does not intend with his heart, neither of them count. And if he intends with his heart and does not utter with his tongue, it suffices him..."

Bahr al-Madh'hab by ar-Ruyaani, 2/3

The Shafi'ees then discuss what must be mentioned in the intention.

Many Fatawa and contemporary scholars today mention the opinion of Ibn Taymiyyah and others that uttering the intention aloud is an innovation and some opinions even recommend Ta'zeer, or discretionary punishment, for those who do so. However that is not consistent with what the Madhaahib have ruled. Unfortunately those who adopt the view that it is an innovation are not informed about the issue and act prejudicially in the matter.

Mentioned
    1120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16476 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AbuNajm View Post
    The Hanbali view is that it is recommended to utter the intention silently for each prayer.

Proof:

فَائِدَةٌ: لَا يُسْتَحَبُّ التَّلَفُّظُ بِالنِّيَّةِ عَلَى أَحَدِ الْوَجْهَيْنِ، وَهُوَ الْمَنْصُوصُ عَنْ أَحْمَدَ قَالَهُ الشَّيْخُ تَقِيُّ الدِّينِ. قَالَ: هُوَ الصَّوَابُ، الْوَجْهُ الثَّانِي: يُسْتَحَبُّ التَّلَفُّظُ بِهَا سِرًّا، وَهُوَ الْمَذْهَبُ، قَدَّمَهُ فِي الْفُرُوعِ، وَجَزَمَ بِهِ ابْنُ عُبَيْدَانَ، وَالتَّلْخِيصِ، وَابْنُ تَمِيمٍ، وَابْنُ رَزِينٍ. قَالَ الزَّرْكَشِيُّ: هُوَ الْأَوْلَى عِنْدَ كَثِيرٍ مِنْ الْمُتَأَخِّرِينَ

"A point of benefit: It is not recommended to utter the intention according to one of two transmissions and it is what is recorded on authority of Ahmad, which ash-Shaykh Taqi ad-Deen said. He said: "And it is what is correct." And the second transmission: It is recommended to utter it secretly and it is the Madh'hab; it was advanced in al-Furu', Ibn Ubaydan asserted so authoritatively, as well as at-Talkhees, Ibn Tameem and Ibn Razeen. Az-Zarkashi said: "It is the most deserving [of being correct] according to the majority of the later scholars..."

Al-Insaaf by al-Mardawi, 1/142

The Shafi'ee view is that it is better to utter the intention:

فأما محّلها فالقلب، فإن نوى بقلبه ونطَق بلسانه، فهو الكمال، وهذا إذا نطق قبل التكبير، ثم كبرّ ناويًا، وإن نطق بلسانه بهما، ولم ينِو بقلبه لم يعتد بهما، وإن نوى بقلبه، ولم ينطق بلسانه أجزأته

"As for its locus [i.e. the intention], then it is the heart. So if one intends with his heart and utters with his tongue, then it is complete. And this is when he utters before the Takbeer, then utters the Takbeer while intending. And if he utters with his tongue both and does not intend with his heart, neither of them count. And if he intends with his heart and does not utter with his tongue, it suffices him..."

Bahr al-Madh'hab by ar-Ruyaani, 2/3

The Shafi'ees then discuss what must be mentioned in the intention.

Many Fatawa and contemporary scholars today mention the opinion of Ibn Taymiyyah and others that uttering the intention aloud is an innovation and some opinions even recommend Ta'zeer, or discretionary punishment, for those who do so. However that is not consistent with what the Madhaahib have ruled. Unfortunately those who adopt the view that it is an innovation are not informed about the issue and act prejudicially in the matter.
    So I am prejudiced in this issue?

90279-054
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

So I am prejudiced in this issue?
    No, not at all. I had something/someone else in mind when mentioning that.

I meant that some people are very emphatic in opposing the view of saying the intention.

Sorry for how that appeared. Definitely wasn't aimed at you.

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2760 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AbuNajm View Post

No, they are aware of the matter. They have studied the Madhdhaa'ib much better than you have. However, when they do not see the evidence in favor of it, they reject it. Ibn Taymiyyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) knew the Madhdhaa'ib much better than you ever well.

Yet, he said anyone who utters it has a defect in intellect. Your premise that if anyone calls it an innovation is uninformed is incorrect.

Maybe you are on of those who also follows the majority opinion that the sun and moon have the Nuur of Allaah in them and one should face them when he defecates outdoors. And you consider anyone who opposes that to be "uninformed."