Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

advice on child's hifz

assalam alaykum

Can people please share their hifz experience as a child or if your child is undergoing hifz programme. I am sort of after a step by step checklist. So my lo is 3 and I want to start developing his relationship with the Quran, he can quickly memorise but I want to hold back until he learns the adab, tajweed and basic understanding of what is it that he’s memorising!

Would really appreciate any advise on do’s and do not’s, pre req, and also what teaching method would you recommend:

One to one, 1 hr per day
    Group learning
    Masjid/madrassa 3 hours a day
    Full time Islamic schooling?

Would you recommend any institute/madrassa/qari in London for initial assessment?

jzk
    "The objective behind Shari'ah is to liberate individuals from his desires in order to be a true Abd (slave) of Allah and that is the legitimate Maslaha... Violating the Shari'ah under the pretext of following Maqasid al-Shari'ah is like the one who cares about the spirit without the body and since the body without the spirit is useless therefore the spirit without the body is useless too." ~ Imam Shatibi - The greatest intellectual founder of Maqasid al-Shari'ah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Re: advice on child's hifz

In terms of Tajweed: I think he's too young for tajweed, because he won't learn all these rules. Just point out any tajweed as you go along, but don't worry too much if he doesn't know why he said it one way here and another way there, because I doubt he can read(and if he can, well done for you, get him one of those coloured tajweed mushafs). He'll learn tajweed as he goes along, and by the time he's old enough to read he'd have gotten the hang of it and will be able to apply it to other surahs. Then you can start getting him to memorise the ahkaam.

Understanding and Arabic: Try to tell him the story/lesson behing the surah he's reading. Go slowly and gently, and don't expect him to remember the first time you tell him. He will remember wrong and he most likely will jumble up the facts, which is why you have to go over it more than once(not in one sitting though!) Teach him some key words so he's not just randomly reading without knowing. If he knows no Arabic take it slowly and do one word per surah; the more knowledge of Arabic he has the more you can teach him.

In terms of pre req, try to get him to understand first what the Quran is, and why we have it, and the rewards of reading it. It will mean more to him when he memorises it. This way, when you notice him slacking, you can simply remind him of his potential rewards and it will hopefully make him more eager again. Teach him the Sunan of recitation as well.

Teaching method:
    I would suggest full time Islamic schooling if possible, because that means he will be more well rounded Islamically. Do make sure he learns Arabic if he doesn't, because it is imperative for understanding Quraan, because I can tell you from my personal experience, there is nothing sweeter than reading Quran in Arabic and actually understanding it. I'm still not as fluent as I'd like to be, but I can't imagine what it would be like to not know the Arabic I need. The younger he is, the easier it is for him to learn. Arabic is not an easy language, but learning it at 3 is better than at 6, which is better that at 10, which is better than at 20 and so on.
    Regardless of whether you put him in an Islamic school or moque/madrasa, make sure you get at least 20 minutes a day(not necessarily consecutive-remember, quality not quantity) to check they've memorised correctly.

Memorisation: It's great that he memorises quickly-TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT. What happens if you put a child in front of a TV for a few days? He memorises all the songs and all the adverts-same tune, same pauses, same pitch. When you see the number of words, you find he memorised two or three Surahs worth of words. Which brings me to my point. Do not underestimate a child's ability to learn from listening. Whatever Surah he's learning, put it on repeat where he can hear it. It's okay if his focus is not 100% on the Quraan, he will still listen to it. Encourage him to recite with the qaari' as well. He will learn the tajweed simply by listening, though make sure to change up the qaari' sometimes, so he doesn't memorise it like a song.

Incorporating Quraan in daily life: Make sure you take lessons from the Quraan and apply them to your daily life, big or small. He doesn't have to have memorised it, just make sure you read him the ayah, tell him what it means and explain the story behind it + the lesson learned.

Please make the most of your child's clear mind and fill it with what's good. The more he learns now, the better it will be for him later. Children are fast learners, don't underestimate their ability to learn. I regret not taking more of an interest in Quraan and Islamic studies as a child, which now makes everything harder. I am now making sure the same doesn't happen to my sister(5) and am making sure I can teach her all I can. Consider it sadaqah jaariyah. It is the best gift you can give to your child and no one can take it away from them!

Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

jzk, at what age did you start your hifz regime and what were you milestones? level of support which made/would have made your hifz more enjoyable?
    "The objective behind Shari'ah is to liberate individuals from his desires in order to be a true Abd (slave) of Allah and that is the legitimate Maslaha... Violating the Shari'ah under the pretext of following Maqasid al-Shari'ah is like the one who cares about the spirit without the body and since the body without the spirit is useless therefore the spirit without the body is useless too." ~ Imam Shatibi - The greatest intellectual founder of Maqasid al-Shari'ah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

I started at 6. I knew how to read Arabic(very slowly and not fluently) and our mosque didn't make us memorise-simply read, so I didn't get very far, though I'm able to read any page from the Quraan confidently with tajweed... which is why I put emphasis on learning Arabic.
    I think if I had more knowledge of the Quraan and its importance in Islam I would have put more of an effort in. Also, forgetting Surahs was a problem because no one revised with me. So make sure he remembers the Surahs he memorises. Go over them regularly.
    I also suggest leading by example. If he sees you regularly sitting and reading, he'll want to be just like you.
    Considering his young age, give your son little rewards for every few Surahs he learns to keep him motivated.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

I am just a layman, so take any advice I give with a pinch of salt.

SubhanAllah, you are blessed with a child who has shown qualities of goodness (and inshaAllah, attachment to the Quraan throughout his life).

There is a technique where you:

- Teach the young child how to read Arabic (those small kitaabs where they teach Alif, Baa, Taa, Thaa, etc.)
    - Teach the child memorization-techniques by focusing on the last juz of the Quraan (30) - starting with the smaller Suraahs and then moving towards the entire last juz
    - You do these things simultaneously

You must keep in mind a few things:

1) There is no "1 and only" technique for becoming a Haafidh. Some parents (who are Hufaadh themselves) become the Ustaadh to their children, other children complete Hifdh simultaneously with school and others go full-time to Islamic institutions

2) Do not let the time-factor create "false piety" - many parents will brag about "my child memorized the Quraan in 12/6/3 months" - subhanAllah, if this has happened, then you are fortunate. But do not deceive yourself and let it inflate your/sons/daughters ego

3) Evaluate the Ustaadh your child will learn under - sometimes there are major cultural barriers between how an Indo-Pak Ustaadh conducts himself (compared to someone locally) - it is not unheard of for some foreign Ustaadhs to use extreme-violence and abuse as a means of teaching

4) Do not let disappointment set in if your child is unable to finish, but encourage the child to hold on to whatever he/she has learned throughout life (it is better to learn a little and never forget than to learn it all and forget it all)

5) Do not become lax once the child has completed (many parents are guilty of doing so). Islam doesn't stop at Hifdh

6) Lastly (and this is just a personal opinion of mine), I personally think that even though it is an immense blessing to have a child who has memorized the Quraan, that memorization is not enough. Regardless of being a Haafidh or not, we must all embody the instructions of Quraan and Sunnah. We then experience (in modern times) situations where Hufaadh go fatwa-shopping because they do not observe the Sunnah (full-length beards) but demand to be allowed to read taraweeh.

Allahu A'lam

1of the volatile beings myeverything's Avatar
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1548 Post(s)

@Salman Al-Farsi Check this online academy https://maqraa.islamacademy.net/?lang=en

It's licensed by the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Da'wah, and Guidance. They have section for children and They say in one of their videos (in Arabic) that the youngest hafida her age was 6 ..

so they know how to deal with kids .. but for 3 years .. I dunno .. u can contact them and consult with teachers ..
    How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me

Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

I recognise 3 is too young and I am not intending to start his hifz now he can’t even read. Ideally by 7 I would like him in a place where he is intellectually prepared for the challenge hence I m interested in laying down a programme which we can periodically review and measure enabling us to overcome issues.

Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8068 Post(s)

i heard these helps kid with their hifz experience, one solution fits all kind of thing among desis

Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1548 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salman Al-Farsi View Post
    I recognise 3 is too young and I am not intending to start his hifz now he can’t even read. Ideally by 7 I would like him in a place where he is intellectually prepared for the challenge hence I m interested in laying down a programme which we can periodically review and measure enabling us to overcome issues.

Although you don't need to send him anywhere at this very young age.

But 3 years is not too young to start with Surah Fatiha.( kids memorize long songs by the age of 2) When he mastered it very well and keep it by heart, u move to Surah Ikhlas and go your way up very slowly but surely and consistently.
    (P.S Teach your son surah al Fatihah before anyone else does. This is because every time your child recites you will have a part of the reward in sha Allah!)

Btw he doesn't need to know how to read to start memorizing Qur'an. Plus, what he memorize at this age more likely to stick in his mind forever Insha'Allah.

At this age they have amazing energy,ability and readiness to memorize, anything introduced to them, that decrease a lot by 7, so do your best to take advantage of it and invest it.

IMO to wait till 7 is kinda late tbh and he may get busy learning other things at school. So, use the pre- school age for Quran .. concentrate on the stuff a person needs in prayer. So, by age of 6 , 7 he can pray properly insha'Allah

And Allah knows best
    How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me

Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

mA he knows surah fatiha, al-kawthar etc and lots of duas but as I said previously I don't want him to memorise too much at this stage before understanding what it is esp the adab. Sometimes he is sitting in the toilet and reciting, we tell him not to talk in the toilet so he's like, 'what if shaytan comes' so we are saying, "don't worry you read yuor dua before entering toilet so he wont come' he's like 'what if he comes from the window' lol

here what i mean by hifz is the proper regime of structure memorisation not surahs here and there. So there is lots to go over before he's ready for hifz, arabic, tajweed, qirat, stamina, adab al-quran, and so on... I am finding it really hard to find someone who has done it so maybe I m being too ambitious.

Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1548 Post(s)

Aha! That makes sense, you are right

Odan
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2077 Post(s)

mA he knows surah fatiha, al-kawthar etc and lots of duas but as I said previously I don't want him to memorise too much at this stage before understanding what it is esp the adab. Sometimes he is sitting in the toilet and reciting, we tell him not to talk in the toilet so he's like, 'what if shaytan comes' so we are saying, "don't worry you read yuor dua before entering toilet so he wont come' he's like 'what if he comes from the window' lol

here what i mean by hifz is the proper regime of structure memorisation not surahs here and there. So there is lots to go over before he's ready for hifz, arabic, tajweed, qirat, stamina, adab al-quran, and so on... I am finding it really hard to find someone who has done it so maybe I m being too ambitious.
    That is pretty impressive for a three year old, may Allaah bless your son. He seems to be doing well.

I can empathise with your situation. There's not much support available out there.

My son started the Madrassa at 4 1/2 and they sort of kicked him out six months later. (He has issues with attention, understanding and sitting still).

I'm working on a flexible schedule with him, basically what sister myeverything said.

Combating Coconuts in UF
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    937 Post(s)

I only started studying Quran at the age of 7, but I remember kids aged 7-10 had varying attention spans..Some kids were reading and contemplating the meaning..Some were just memorizing because they didn't want to get bad grades.

My Quran teacher was so so soft though, keep in mind I was merely studying in a normal school and Quran was just part of the curriculum..But it was very well structured. The class would have tafseers, it would teach the kids the proper pronunciations, and the right adab as far as treating the Quran and the words of Allah..

Every week, we were suppose to have memorized a Surah. The Saudi School I studied in wanted the kids to memorized at least half of the Quran by 6th grade...

It was slow memorization because the Class wasn't dedicated solely for memorizing..there was tafsir, there was teaching kids the adab..There was teaching kids the meaning of the words because some Fusha words are hard to understand.

I think if someone would go through the same strcuture and regimen, they would have memorized the Quran by age 18...I never got to that point though.
    Stop being apologetic to Kuffars!

If I don't engage with you or reply to any of your question, it's likely because I find you racist and a total waste of time.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

This must melt your heart to hear your 3 year old make a complaint/worry/concern like this

He is ma'sum, but inshaAllah he will follow the straight and narrow throughout his life with positive guidance from you (and your wife).

Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indefinable View Post
    That is pretty impressive for a three year old, may Allaah bless your son. He seems to be doing well.

I can empathise with your situation. There's not much support available out there.

My son started the Madrassa at 4 1/2 and they sort of kicked him out six months later. (He has issues with attention, understanding and sitting still).

I'm working on a flexible schedule with him, basically what sister myeverything said.

our lo has this not being able to sit still issue and lack of attention span on less interesting issues, so he can easily spend an hr on ipad but not on learning alif ba.

Jzk for sharing your experience, we prob won't be sending him primary or madrassa until he is at least 5 and we are confident he can learn and contribute in a class environment.

I guess, attention span and sitting still are probably core issue which need addressing as being able to concentrate and sit still for hours is how this works. This is one of our pre-prep goals for next couple of years before he starts primary and madrassa. Although we haven't devised a proper plan but something we probably need to soon.