Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2546 Post(s)

Umar رضي الله عنه & The sheep herder

Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه went on a journey once with some companions, and they saw a sheep-herder who they invited to eat with them.

He said: I am fasting, and ibn Umar رضي الله عنه said: You are fasting whilst it is so hot, and while you are between all these plants and sheep?

The herder replied: I'm taking advantage of my remaining days (i.e. the days before death).

Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه was impressed by this reply and said: Can you sell one of your sheep to us? We'll feed you from its meat when you break your fast, and we'll also pay you for it.

The herder replied: It does not belong to me. It belongs to my master.

Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه said: What would your master say if you told him that it was eaten by a wolf?

The herder raised his finger to the sky and said: What about Allāh?

Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه kept repeating this phrase the herder said, and when he arrived at the city, he went to the herder’s owner and purchased him and his sheep from him. He then freed the herder and gave him his sheep as a gift.

Latā'if al-Ma'ārif feemā li-Mawāsim al-Ām min al-Wadhā'if of ibn Rajab رحمه الله, Pages 323

Source: Daily Fawaid's FB page
    رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Re: Umar رضي الله عنه & The sheep herder

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Uthmaan View Post

Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه went on a journey once with some companions, and they saw a sheep-herder who they invited to eat with them.

He said: I am fasting, and ibn Umar رضي الله عنه said: You are fasting whilst it is so hot, and while you are between all these plants and sheep?

The herder replied: I'm taking advantage of my remaining days (i.e. the days before death).

Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه was impressed by this reply and said: Can you sell one of your sheep to us? We'll feed you from its meat when you break your fast, and we'll also pay you for it.

The herder replied: It does not belong to me. It belongs to my master.

Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه said: What would your master say if you told him that it was eaten by a wolf?

The herder raised his finger to the sky and said: What about Allāh?

Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه kept repeating this phrase the herder said, and when he arrived at the city, he went to the herder’s owner and purchased him and his sheep from him. He then freed the herder and gave him his sheep as a gift.

Latā'if al-Ma'ārif feemā li-Mawāsim al-Ām min al-Wadhā'if of ibn Rajab رحمه الله, Pages 323

Source: Daily Fawaid's FB page
    SUBHANALLAH, im sure youve seen the video of our times of a similar incident

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2546 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dontknowname View Post
    SUBHANALLAH, im sure youve seen the video of our times of a similar incident
    Yh I’ve seen the video of the Bedouin ma sha Allah
    رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

On A Hired Plane of Logic LailaTheMuslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2672 Post(s)

Alhamdulilah amazing story
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/