Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Parents lying to children for personal gain?

I have a question about a situation with my mother. She told me she needed money to buy a gift for my niece's wedding. I agreed with her for £1.5K. She then said she wanted £4k to spend on gold for herself to wear. I agreed to that too. Now I found out she has gifted all £5.5k worth of gold to my niece for her wedding, which is not as agreed.

What do i do seeing as my mother has lied in this case? Am i right to claim this from them?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Re: Parents lying to children for personal gain?

Quote Originally Posted by gorgon_777 View Post
    I have a question about a situation with my mother. She told me she needed money to buy a gift for my niece's wedding. I agreed with her for £1.5K. She then said she wanted £4k to spend on gold for herself to wear. I agreed to that too. Now I found out she has gifted all £5.5k worth of gold to my niece for her wedding, which is not as agreed.

What do i do seeing as my mother has lied in this case? Am i right to claim this from them?
    Asalaamualaykum

Let me give your answer in a incident I experienced.
    I was on holiday in my home country - South Africa. Outside a very nice restaurant, was a beggar who was approaching Muslims, but reciting Surah Fathia.

Big beards passed him, Hijabis passed him, Niqabis passed him and some stood close by ignoring him. When i came out I looked at him and he approached me. Reciting. After he finished I was about to drop him something about £50 in their currency. The people approached me telling me not to give it to him - its just a scam Etc Etc (Which is true possibly)

After they finished pleading to me - I still gave the money and they were shocked and I guess disappointed. As I was walking away - I turned and asked them ...".How much would you pay to listen to a great Saudi Qari to hear the Quran being recited?" .....Well I have had the same sweetness in my ear moments ago because If he wasn't Muslim, then at least he recited the Quran and if he was Muslim...At least he put his faith Surah Fathia !!!!

The point being is that I my ear has gained from this irrespective of his intention.

When you see the reward for your silence and Sabr in this matter for helping your mother .........On that day of Qiyamah - you will wish she asked way more than just £5.5k !!!!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)

5k for a neice thats crazy i would of not expected that for a mahr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    250 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gorgon_777 View Post

I think it is very unfair of your mum to do this to you. But claiming it back is going to make a mega awkward situation for the whole family. My general rule of thumb is, if its family let it go, don't let it happen again. You don't want everyone knowing there's a rift between you and your mum. Not sure why your mum did it, maybe her realtives guilted her into it. She might have been under some pressure. But just tell her nicely, she hurt your feeling and she musn't do it again.

1.5 k gift is too much. 4k of gold iis way too much. That's a security risk to her also.