Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Adding RAM to a laptop

When adding RAM, what has to be compatible?

Can you mix DD2 with DD3 or 4?

Mine is 16×200 can I mix with other differently numbered blocks?

I'm unsure what has to match and what doesn't.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Re: Adding RAM to a laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Rifqah View Post

When adding RAM, what has to be compatible?

Can you mix DD2 with DD3 or 4?

Mine is 16×200 can I mix with other differently numbered blocks?

I'm unsure what has to match and what doesn't.

You have to make sure you get the right size to fit into your machine.

It is best to try to get the same specifications as what is currently in your machine, so that you don't have issues post-purchase.

IIRC, RAM is backwards compatible, but you will be doing yourself a dis-service to buy DDR2 if you have DDR3 (or DDR3 if you have DDR4).

The only thing that *shouldn't* (or doesn't) have to match is the amount of RAM itself : you can add an 8GB RAM to 4GB or 16GB to 4GB - but you must check to make sure your motherboard can support it (some machines can only support up to 16GB but most newer ones support up to 32GB).

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by horizon View Post

You have to make sure you get the right size to fit into your machine.

It is best to try to get the same specifications as what is currently in your machine, so that you don't have issues post-purchase.

IIRC, RAM is backwards compatible, but you will be doing yourself a dis-service to buy DDR2 if you have DDR3 (or DDR3 if you have DDR4).

The only thing that *shouldn't* (or doesn't) have to match is the amount of RAM itself : you can add an 8GB RAM to 4GB or 16GB to 4GB - but you must check to make sure your motherboard can support it (some machines can only support up to 16GB but most newer ones support up to 32GB).
    Thanks sister, I'm going from 4 to 8G so it's probably okay. I've replaced the fan, battery and processor. I would have thrown it away as I loaned it out and it returned broken. I only really use my phone but fixing it has become a small hobby and a challenge too.

I've learnt most things about it on youtube.

Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2087 Post(s)

You need a 64 bit windows version to support 8gig ram

if you dont have this then it will only read 4gig ram and disregard the rest

Thanks sister, I'm going from 4 to 8G so it's probably okay. I've replaced the fan, battery and processor. I would have thrown it away as I loaned it out and it returned broken. I only really use my phone but fixing it has become a small hobby and a challenge too.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

How did you manage to replace the processor? That is normally bound to the motherboard and requires replacing the entire mobo+cpu/processor

Odan
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6625 Post(s)

How did you manage to replace the processor? That is normally bound to the motherboard and requires replacing the entire mobo+cpu/processor
    Some are soldered in, some are not.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zi-zizou View Post
    Some are soldered in, some are not.
    This had 4 very tiny screws and was just next to the place where you click in the memory.

I'm laughing as I type this because I think it's a doomed project but I'm having fun and learning something, even if when I turn it on it does nothing.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sajid View Post
    You need a 64 bit windows version to support 8gig ram

if you dont have this then it will only read 4gig ram and disregard the rest
    Thanks, that is helpful to know. Helpful and crucial actually.

Odan
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6625 Post(s)

This had 4 very tiny screws and was just next to the place where you click in the memory.

I'm laughing as I type this because I think it's a doomed project but I'm having fun and learning something, even if when I turn it on it does nothing.
    Plenty of help online, you can always undo what you did to return back to the original state.

Thanks, that is helpful to know. Helpful and crucial actually.
    It's possible to run something other than windows, Linux would be more efficient than windows so you'll get more umph out of what you already have. If you can't live without windows you can also dual boot so you have the option of running one of two different Operating systems when you power up your laptop.

Or you can run something like Ubuntu off a USB stick just to get a taste of what it can do, without making any changes to your current setup.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Plenty of help online, you can always undo what you did to return back to the original state.
    Which would be... (pause for effect) ...broken.

It's possible to run something other than windows, Linux would be more efficient than windows so you'll get more umph out of what you already have. If you can't live without windows you can also dual boot so you have the option of running one of two different Operating systems when you power up your laptop.

Or you can run something like Ubuntu off a USB stick just to get a taste of what it can do, without making any changes to your current setup.
    Thank you for this information but I have to stick with the basics right now. One operating system is enough to contend with.

Just out of interest, why would someone want to run with a dual system like that?

Odan
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6625 Post(s)

Which would be... (pause for effect) ...broken.

Thank you for this information but I have to stick with the basics right now. One operating system is enough to contend with.

Just out of interest, why would someone want to run with a dual system like that?
    It's usually because you have some s/w that is say running on windows which is not available under Linux (and you don't like the alternatives available on Linux) so you keep the OS just for that reason or it's some other compatibility issue with school/office/uni. But for everything else you use Linux.