Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

New to Islam, curious to convert, what to do 1st ?

Asalamualaikum brothers and sisters. I need some advice and guidance if anyone here would be kind enough to help out/give opinions ? I have not yet (not YET) converted. There is one specific reason for this which Id rather not go into as it is a private and personal matter but let it be known that Mashallah I fully intend to do so at the soonest I am possibly able to & if I could do it right here right now then without a shadow of a doubt I would. I have a problem, although I have not yet converted & dont yet have an awful lot of Islamic knowledge I do know basic bits and pieces. It might sound pretty unimportant with all the other major Islamic teachings & things that new muslims need to learn but the concept of wearing hijab has become a big deal to me & although for personal reasons I cant wear hijab in public at the moment I have been having a lot of fun experimenting in my home trying on different head scarves in different styles with different outfits. The trouble is the more I do this the more natural its starting to feel to leave it on and Im starting to feel bare when it comes to taking it off. I have fairly good understanding of the purpose of hijab and each time I leave the house without it I feel like I am committing more and more sin aswell as disrespecting my (convert) partner by not protecting my awrah. My question is that when I am in a position to finally be able to convert would it be wrong for me to wear hijab before I know other things like not having finished reading the Quran? Or not yet knowing how to pray properly? Or not knowing much arabic ? Are there other things that I should focus on first when I do convert ? Or is wearing hijab immediately on a daily basis after I convert just as important as learning other Islamic values ? Does it matter that there are things I dont know yet but still wear hijab until I learn other things ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)

Re: New to Islam, curious to convert, what to do 1st ?

if you take my advice i would say revert or convert as soon as possible since life is short and hereafter is for eternity.sister, gradually learn your stuff.you dont need to burden your self.

Take baby steps and gradually you will be there

from islamqa site
    If anyone has a real desire to be a muslim and has full conviction and strong belief that Islam is the true religion ordained by Allah for all human-being, then, one should pronounce the “shahada”, the testimony of faith, without further delay. The Holy Qur’an is explicit on this regard as Allah states :

“The Religion in the sight of Allah is Islam” (Qur’an 3:19)

in another verse of the Holy Qur’an, Allah states :

“If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (Submission to Allah), Never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (their selves in the hell fire).” (Qur’an 3:85)

In addition, Islam is the only religion prevailing over all other religions. Allah states in the Holy Qur’an :

“To thee We sent the Scripture in the truth, confirming the scripture that came before it, and guarding it in safety :…. (Qur’an 5:48)

Mohammad, the Prophet of Allah (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him), said :

“The superstructure of Islam is raised on five (pillars) : testifying that there is no God (none truly to be worshipped) but Allah, and that Mohammad is the messenger of Allah, performing the prayer, paying the Zakah (poor-due), fasting the month of Ramadan, and performing Hajj.”*

The Shahada can be declared as follows :

*“ASH-HADU ANLA ELAHA ILLA-ALLAH WA ASH-HADU ANNA MOHAMMADAN RASUL-ALLAH”.

*The English translation is :

“I bear witness that there is no deity (none truly to be worshipped) but, Allah, and I bear witness that Mohammad is the messenger of Allah.”

However, it would not be sufficient for anyone to only utter this testimony oraly either in private or in public; but rather, he should believe in it by heart with a firm conviction and unshakeable faith. If one is truly sincere and complies with the teachings of Islam in all his life, he will find himself a new born person.*

may almight allah forgive our sins,shower us with his mercy both in this world and hereafter,grant us jannah and guide us in the right path.ameen.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    908 Post(s)

No its fine to wear hijab before knowing how to pray but you should still try and learn to read Quran and pray at the same time

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LRL1990 View Post
    ... dont yet have an awful lot of Islamic knowledge I do know basic bits and pieces ...
    I have the same problem, actually, but the problem will solve itself. There are basically no Muslims who speak English in my area, so to speak. That is why I resorted to picking up bits and bobs from the internet. I sometimes test drive them here, and then you will find that people will obviously jump on the opportunity to correct you in particular details, when you are doing it wrong, which is very much ok, because that surely forces you to research particular topics more extensively.

... the concept of wearing hijab has become a big deal to me & although for personal reasons I cant wear hijab in public at the moment I have been having a lot of fun experimenting ...
    That part is certainly fun! I grow my beard now and trim my mustache. I have not been able to find a shop locally with proper Islamic dress, though. But then again, my beard and trimmed mustache quite gives it away already. It irritates the hell out of the Islam bashers. They will spontaneously start talking about why they do not like Islam. I rarely answer by saying why I like it. I just make subtle fun out of the contradictions that inevitably creep into their arguments. The subject of the unbelievers is indeed quite a thing, surrounded as I am by them.

... would it be wrong for me to wear hijab before I know other things like not having finished reading the Quran? Or not yet knowing how to pray properly?...
    If our beloved Master, the illustrious Allah, Lord of both worlds, has commanded you to dress modestly, then which human could possibly have the authority to overrule the wishes of the All-Knowing Almighty? I do not believe that any Muslim would ever try to prevent you from obeying Allah. I think that I personally must also make mistakes when praying our beloved Master, because I did not grow up with doing that in an Islamic way. Still, that should not prevent us from just doing it. I do not believe that it would make sense to wait until we can do it with perfection.

islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Welcome sister

You should convert without delay, nobody knows when the angel of death will come

All you have to do is say with your tounge and believe with your heart the following

Ash hadu anla illaha illalahu wa ash hadu anna muhamadan abduhu wa rasuluh

This means I bear witness there is no God but Allah and i bear witness that Muhammad is his slave and messenger

As for the other issues you mentioned inshaAllah (Allah willing) these will be resolved as you start to practice your new faith

It may seem daunting as there is a lot to learn but inshaAllah you'll get there little by little

There is a convert sister here @Rifqah inshaAllah she'll have some input
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

@LRL1990 Hello there and welcome to the forum The most important thing is that death can happen to any person, any age at any moment so please don't delay making your Shahada a reality.

You will have doubts still and not know a lot of things but there is allowance for this in Islam until you grow in knowledge. I converted 9 months ago and am still perfecting the basics. It takes a long while and your intention is what matters more than external things like hijab and other external matters. Your private communications with Allah (swt) is what matters most.

I hope you convert soon.

Islam is the only religion that makes sense.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)

Asalamualaikum brothers and sisters. I need some advice and guidance if anyone here would be kind enough to help out/give opinions ? I have not yet (not YET) converted. There is one specific reason for this which Id rather not go into as it is a private and personal matter but let it be known that Mashallah I fully intend to do so at the soonest I am possibly able to & if I could do it right here right now then without a shadow of a doubt I would. I have a problem, although I have not yet converted & dont yet have an awful lot of Islamic knowledge I do know basic bits and pieces. It might sound pretty unimportant with all the other major Islamic teachings & things that new muslims need to learn but the concept of wearing hijab has become a big deal to me & although for personal reasons I cant wear hijab in public at the moment I have been having a lot of fun experimenting in my home trying on different head scarves in different styles with different outfits. The trouble is the more I do this the more natural its starting to feel to leave it on and Im starting to feel bare when it comes to taking it off. I have fairly good understanding of the purpose of hijab and each time I leave the house without it I feel like I am committing more and more sin aswell as disrespecting my (convert) partner by not protecting my awrah. My question is that when I am in a position to finally be able to convert would it be wrong for me to wear hijab before I know other things like not having finished reading the Quran? Or not yet knowing how to pray properly? Or not knowing much arabic ? Are there other things that I should focus on first when I do convert ? Or is wearing hijab immediately on a daily basis after I convert just as important as learning other Islamic values ? Does it matter that there are things I dont know yet but still wear hijab until I learn other things ?
    Wa alaykoom assalam dear sister

First you should convert to Islam by saying Shahada then you will learn step by step and you will gain the knowledge so there is no need to be rush ..

As for hijab you can wear it even if you still dont know the basic ..

Here are articles will you :

HOW TO CONVERT TO ISLAM AND BECOME A MUSLIM

http://www.islamreligion.com/article...become-muslim/

I WANT TO BE A MUSLIM BUT... MYTHS ABOUT CONVERTING TO ISLAM

http://www.islamreligion.com/article...ting-to-islam/

In the same website you will find chatbox so you can ask them whatever you want ..
    Ibn Al Qayyim may Allah have mercy on him said: ("
    The heart on its journey towards Allah the Exalted is like that of a bird. Love is its head, and fear and hope are its two wings. When the head is healthy, then the two wings will fly well. When the head is cut off, the bird will die. When either of two wings is damaged, the bird becomes vulnerable to every hunter and predator..”
    )

Odan
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    628 Post(s)

1. Convert asap.
    2. Wear Hijab right away, nothing wrong with that.

3. Learn how to purify yourself ( wudhu/ghusul) & and start learning how to pray salah.
    Because you're also a female, there will be some rulings that apply to you, like when you're not allowed to pray/touch Quran etc

The sisters here can help you out a lot.