Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

Islamic university

Assalamu Alaykum warahmatullahi Wa barakatu

Bismillah

I just wanted to ask whether anyone has been or knows anyone that has studied in an islamic university. I am interested in Shariah and just wanted to know more about the course content, how intense the studies are for example how many hours at university how much homework and how long the course is. Also is it possible to the course part time or in evenings as for me it would be convenient to work full time and then study in the night
    Any information or advice is appreciated jazakAllah khairun.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3309 Post(s)

Re: Islamic university

You mean an islamic university abroad or a specific one?
    شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
    فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
    وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
    ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
    You mean an islamic university abroad or a specific one?
    Any islamic university abroad

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3309 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
    Any islamic university abroad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85x1WJwQQEc schedule and study habits of Muhammad muneer while in madinah
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mN1H2OjTqWXv-m try these too

As for very specific information then it will most likely vary from place to place, best thing to do is to contact someone whose been to whichever institute you wish to go to.
    Ask at the masjid, there is usually always someone whose been abroad and just generally start mixing with those who have the same interest, the more people you know the more information you'll get
    شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
    فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
    وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
    ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Odan
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

Bismillah

I just wanted to ask whether anyone has been or knows anyone that has studied in an islamic university. I am interested in Shariah and just wanted to know more about the course content, how intense the studies are for example how many hours at university how much homework and how long the course is. Also is it possible to the course part time or in evenings as for me it would be convenient to work full time and then study in the night
    The Saudi universities give the students a monthly stipend, room and board, and a plane ticket back home every year. So you shouldn't need to work if you go there.

Egypt is pretty inexpensive, so if you save up for a few years before going there, you shouldn't need to work while studying.

Most of these universities do not have part time or evening programs. Although I have heard that umm al qura or Madinah university now offer evening halaqat.

As for the content, what do you suppose you would learn in a shariah program?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

Jazak Allah khairun

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abdulsidd View Post
    The Saudi universities give the students a monthly stipend, room and board, and a plane ticket back home every year. So you shouldn't need to work if you go there.

Egypt is pretty inexpensive, so if you save up for a few years before going there, you shouldn't need to work while studying.

Most of these universities do not have part time or evening programs. Although I have heard that umm al qura or Madinah university now offer evening halaqat.

Content wise I thought you would learn about inheritance,divorce, crime and overall more study on hadith, Quran and tafsir and alot more that I cant think if from top of my head

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

In terms of egypt being inexpensive could you elaborate on that in terms of day to day life and also does azhar for example do free uni or paid

Odan
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

Content wise I thought you would learn about inheritance,divorce, crime and overall more study on hadith, Quran and tafsir and alot more that I cant think if from top of my head
    Exactly. Shariah is basically all of Islam, more or less. So shariah will include Aqeedah, Ulum al Quran, Ulum al Hadith, Usul al Fiqh, Fiqh of various subjects (worship, family matters, etc), criminal law, and more. You can take a look at the Mishkah University curriculum for an idea of the sort of things that you might study: http://mishkahu.com/academics/underg...helors-degree/

One thing that you will want to do is to start studying right now in your local area. Most of these universities require that you know how to read the Quran with tajweed and have memorized a certain amount and that you know Arabic before you can start studying there. They also require recommendation letters from scholars who know you, so it is good to study with someone locally who can give you a recommendation letter. If you are based in the US, I can help you find a scholar in your area. I don't know anyone in the UK or Europe though. But I would suggest just starting with the imam of the masjid that you regularly go to. Or maybe try one of these online universities such as Mishkah University.

Odan
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

In terms of egypt being inexpensive could you elaborate on that in terms of day to day life and also does azhar for example do free uni or paid
    I don't know the details, but I know that Egypt is quite inexpensive for someone from the West. Maybe that has changed in recent years though. You will have to learn Arabic and go through the Al Azhar high school system before being admitted to the university though. So it could take several years.

@A.Basheer Can answer your questions about Egypt and Al Azhar.

If you are able to get a good job in a Muslim country, then don't worry about attending a university. Just go to halaqahs at the local masajid in the evening. That is the traditional way of studying rather than the university system, and you will learn a lot from it, although it will take longer. But what's the rush? Its a lifelong project anyway. Just make sure to learn Arabic fluently first so you can understand the shuyookh in the halaqahs.
    Last edited by abdulsidd; 30-07-17 at 11:45 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

I don't know the details, but I know that Egypt is quite inexpensive for someone from the West. Maybe that has changed in recent years though. You will have to learn Arabic and go through the Al Azhar high school system before being admitted to the university though. So it could take several years.

@A.Basheer Can answer your questions about Egypt and Al Azhar.

If you are able to get a good job in a Muslim country, then don't worry about attending a university. Just go to halaqahs at the local masajid in the evening. That is the traditional way of studying rather than the university system, and you will learn a lot from it, although it will take longer. But what's the rush? Its a lifelong project anyway. Just make sure to learn Arabic fluently first so you can understand the shuyookh in the halaqahs.
    Jazak Allah khairun for all the info
    Alhamdullilah ive started arabic and im trying to learn aqeedah and fiqh, tafsir inshAllah I can maintain it

in uk and the problem is trying to find a scholar who follows athari aqeedah the same was as the salaf did

But seriously u can study shariah fully just going to masjids in halaqas and cover everything

Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3488 Post(s)

Bismillah

If you're going to travel abroad, I believe it's necessary to choose between studying in a university full-time and between working and studying with private teachers/shuyookh/halaqas on the side.

The reason is that you should be focused for Sharee'ah studies and the subject is not supposed to be something you read material for in order to pass exams. Your objective should be to gain a understanding and apply the knowledge, not just pass exams and earn a certificate or degree.

For that reason, it is not allowed for a student who gets accepted to one of the Saudi universities to work on the side. In fact, they expel students for that and I have heard of one case where a student got expelled if I remember correctly. They don't want their students to be distracted.

Also, living abroad is usually much cheaper than the UK or US, so you can afford to study full time (and live off of savings or go back and work during the summers).

So your goal should be to gain a solid grounding in Arabic and Fiqh and 'Aqeedah, and applying to a Saudi university such as Madinah is the best way to do that. Not only will you be able to study in the university full time but they will give you a monthly allowance as mentioned by the brother, and you can study under shuyookh elsewhere.

There is also Al-Azhar in Cairo (I don't recommend it much though), Sharjah University, Islamic University of Malaysia, and Morocco.

I recommend that you gain a solid grounding in Arabic and memorize as much Quran as you can, then go from there. You can do that in Egypt.
    Last edited by A.Basheer; 02-08-17 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

Jazak Allah khairun for the info
    Alhamdullilah ive started studying arabic as well as aqeedah fiqh
    Why it you dont recommend azhar also is it true al axhar teaches by the ashari aqeedah and not athari?
    And also with sharjah and malaysia are they still good in terms of the teaching and are there any specific requirments with them to get in

Odan
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

Jazak Allah khairun for all the info
    Alhamdullilah ive started arabic and im trying to learn aqeedah and fiqh, tafsir inshAllah I can maintain it

in uk and the problem is trying to find a scholar who follows athari aqeedah the same was as the salaf did
    Brother, if you are studying on your own, then I would recommend just focusing on learning Arabic and memorizing Quran.

It is very important that you study with a scholar, otherwise you are at greater risk of misunderstanding the Deen based on your desires or even falling into misguidance.

The basic aqeedah of Asharis, Maturidis, and Atharis is the same. They are all considered to be Ahlusunnah wal jamaah. The differences emerge mainly in deeper issues of aqeedah. That is because the Asharis and Maturidis emerged at a time when Islam was under attack from philosophical groups and so in order to defend Islam, they had to delve into issues and come up with answers that the Companions did not concern themselves with. Of course, they will have mistakes as with any ijtihaad. Aqeedah is not a matter of ijtihaad, but that is basically what the Asharis and Maturidis did in order to try and answer the philosophers.

So my first advice is don't study aqeedah too deeply since there is no longer such a philosophical attack on Islam and therefore you do not need more than basic aqeedah. Specially at this point in your studies.

Second advice is that go and study with the sunni scholars in your area. Do you pray behind them? Then if you consider praying behind them to be valid, then you should also take knowledge from them. If you do not trust them on deeper aqeedah, then avoid studying that subject and instead study things like the sciences of hadith, sciences of the Quran, fiqh, and so on.

My main teacher is a senior scholar and a Salafi who studied in Madinah and Makkah back in the 70s, but he has never encouraged us to study aqeedah at a deep level, but rather has preferred to focus on Quran, Sunnah, fiqh, and so on.

Thirdly, you mentioned elsewhere that you follow Shaykh Sulayman Anwar. If you absolutely cannot study with non-Athari scholars, then I would recommend asking him to suggest someone in the UK from whom you can study.

Regardless, it is imperative that you study with a scholar live. Even if it is over live video or audio chat on the phone or Internet. I would recommend attending one of the many live online Islamic Studies programs if there is no one available locally.
    Last edited by abdulsidd; 03-08-17 at 04:22 AM.

Odan
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

But seriously u can study shariah fully just going to masjids in halaqas and cover everything
    That is how the salaf studied. Western style university degrees in Shariah are a modern phenomenon. Yes, universities are a quicker way to study, but they are not as thorough as the traditional halaqah style. The traditional style takes longer, but provides much better and deeper understanding of the Deen. Unless you want to make a career out of a degree in Shariah, what's the rush? Take your time and study in the traditional way.
    Last edited by abdulsidd; 03-08-17 at 04:32 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

Brother, if you are studying on your own, then I would recommend just focusing on learning Arabic and memorizing Quran.

It is very important that you study with a scholar, otherwise you are at greater risk of misunderstanding the Deen based on your desires or even falling into misguidance.

The basic aqeedah of Asharis, Maturidis, and Atharis is the same. They are all considered to be Ahlusunnah wal jamaah. The differences emerge mainly in deeper issues of aqeedah. That is because the Asharis and Maturidis emerged at a time when Islam was under attack from philosophical groups and so in order to defend Islam, they had to delve into issues and come up with answers that the Companions did not concern themselves with. Of course, they will have mistakes as with any ijtihaad. Aqeedah is not a matter of ijtihaad, but that is basically what the Asharis and Maturidis did in order to try and answer the philosophers.

So my first advice is don't study aqeedah too deeply since there is no longer such a philosophical attack on Islam and therefore you do not need more than basic aqeedah. Specially at this point in your studies.

Second advice is that go and study with the sunni scholars in your area. Do you pray behind them? Then if you consider praying behind them to be valid, then you should also take knowledge from them. If you do not trust them on deeper aqeedah, then avoid studying that subject and instead study things like the sciences of hadith, sciences of the Quran, fiqh, and so on.

My main teacher is a senior scholar and a Salafi who studied in Madinah and Makkah back in the 70s, but he has never encouraged us to study aqeedah at a deep level, but rather has preferred to focus on Quran, Sunnah, fiqh, and so on.

Thirdly, you mentioned elsewhere that you follow Shaykh Sulayman Anwar. If you absolutely cannot study with non-Athari scholars, then I would recommend asking him to suggest someone in the UK from whom you can study.

Regardless, it is imperative that you study with a scholar live. Even if it is over live video or audio chat on the phone or Internet. I would recommend attending one of the many live online Islamic Studies programs if there is no one available locally.
    Yes i understand what your saying and regarding asharis and matreedis i know oartially the differeneces they have with athari aqeedah and also how they rmerged during the time of mutazilah

When it comes to fiqh aqeedah i tend to watch lectures from certain scholars and then read the book they used
    I try not to interpret it my self but yes i will try find a teacher and maybe i could get the sheik about uk teachers

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

That is how the salaf studied. Western style university degrees in Shariah are a modern phenomenon. Yes, universities are a quicker way to study, but they are not as thorough as the traditional halaqah style. The traditional style takes longer, but provides much better and deeper understanding of the Deen. Unless you want to make a career out of a degree in Shariah, what's the rush? Take your time and study in the traditional way.
    Yes true
    Knowledge shouldnt be rushed and i would prefer that

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

Yes i understand what your saying and regarding asharis and matreedis i know oartially the differeneces they have with athari aqeedah and also how they rmerged during the time of mutazilah

When it comes to fiqh aqeedah i tend to watch lectures from certain scholars and then read the book they used
    I try not to interpret it my self but yes i will try find a teacher and maybe i could get the sheik about uk teachers
    But also how would you go about studying in halakas in a masjid
    How would you find out where to go
    You wouldnt wanna rnd up in some murjia circle

Odan
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

It would be better to study in a way that you can interact with the scholar rather than just watching a lecture and reading a book. That will allow you to ask questions and seek clarification from the scholar for a proper understanding of what he is teaching.

Odan
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

But also how would you go about studying in halakas in a masjid
    How would you find out where to go
    You wouldnt wanna rnd up in some murjia circle
    Start studying at the masjid where you pray. Ask questions and seek clarification. Check out the reputation of the scholar in the community. And if he teaches something that goes against what you know of Islam and is not able to clarify his position to you, then stop studying with him.

Go to the halaqa of a known athari if you want to study aqeedah, but as I said, there is no need for extensive study of aqeedah.

It's really not very complicated. If you are sincere about sticking to the truth, then you will be able to avoid fraud scholars. And the vast majority of the scholars are not frauds. People just need to get off the Internet and start studying properly.
    Last edited by abdulsidd; 03-08-17 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

Yh the masjids were I live dont really teach the haqq they like to teach everything according to the government so if i was to learn from someone it has to be someone more lowkey

Odan
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

Yh the masjids were I live dont really teach the haqq they like to teach everything according to the government so if i was to learn from someone it has to be someone more lowkey
    Akhi, you said that you live in the UK, right? I didn't realize that the UK government dictates sciences of hadith, sciences of Quran, usul al fiqh, fiqh al ibadat, and other similar subjects. Very strange. You should move as soon as possible. Although the Islamic universities and the masajid in the Muslim world are also monitored and dictated by those governments. But at least they are better than the UK government.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

I dont know if your being sarcastic or not
    But most of the masjids in my community arent directly controlled by the government but they are monitored in different deceptive ways
    so what most masjids do is teach certain parts of fiqh aqeedah hadith but then miss out parts that can be controversial to learn in this day and age and i think its important you learn everything not just selected parts
    Also most of the masjids dont teach indepth studies of islamic sciences
    There are islamic schools where they teach ilm but then again most are dheobandi

Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3488 Post(s)

Jazak Allah khairun for the info
    Alhamdullilah ive started studying arabic as well as aqeedah fiqh
    Why it you dont recommend azhar also is it true al axhar teaches by the ashari aqeedah and not athari?
    And also with sharjah and malaysia are they still good in terms of the teaching and are there any specific requirments with them to get in
    Alhamdulillah, but what the brother below said is right. You have to focus on Arabic and Quran at first.

You may listen to lectures on 'Aqeedah while you gain some grounding in Arabic (I am not sure what your level is currently). Lectures (even in English -- by Abu Mus'ab Wajdi Akkari or AbdurRahman Hassan or Muhammad Tim Humble, etc.) will allow you to soak in the information and gain some basic knowledge, and that will help you when you start going over books in Arabic.

I don't recommend al-Azhar because of the changes they have made recently (after the new government). It now takes a couple more years on average to graduate. So if a person needs to study one year of Arabic to get fluent, then 2-3 years in the ma'had, then 4 years in university, it will take 7-8 years to get a bachelor's degree.

If this was in Madinah for example, there would be no problem. The more years the better. But Cairo, Egypt is no Madinah and I find it a difficult environment to live in overall (although some aspects of it are better such as some peace of mind and less stress due to it being cheaper to live and less bills, and maybe more barakah than living in the West). Not to mention, al-Azhar is not the best place for a 'Salafi' person to study for clear reasons.

It is true yes, they do teach the Ash'aree 'aqeedah and you will find most of the professors or teachers opposing the Sunnah in many ways. I can't speak for every faculty in the University though because I didn't see or experience all of them -- but this is based on my experience and where I was studying.

Sharjah is not cheap and Malaysia is affordable, and you will gain some knowledge while studying at either university, but you need to supplement your studies in order to gain a thorough understanding. It's more for gaining qualification in order to teach or become an Imam.

So put focus on Arabic for now and fluency in it, and memorize the Quran. In sha Allah, these two will be the key to knowledge.
    Last edited by A.Basheer; 03-08-17 at 10:18 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

InshAllah I will
    And medinah was the main one as well umm quraa its just i know there hard to get into
    Its just an idea at the moment while im doing my own studies in the uk but inshAllah i would rather do it the old school halaqa way if thats possible

Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3488 Post(s)

InshAllah I will
    And medinah was the main one as well umm quraa its just i know there hard to get into
    Its just an idea at the moment while im doing my own studies in the uk but inshAllah i would rather do it the old school halaqa way if thats possible
    Son.

I wouldn't say they're hard to get into. The criteria they use for admission isn't even known. So just apply every year (there are like 7 universities which you can apply to for Islamic studies).

You should read:

Many people are well aware of Saudi universities that offer scholarships to Muslims from around the world to study. These universities have become well known over the last few decades, as they have graduated hundreds of thousands of students from almost every country in the world. The more renowned of these universities are the Islamic University of Madinah, Umm al-Qura University in Makkah and Imam Muhammad bin Saʿud Islamic University in Riyadh. However, what most people are unaware of is that there are a total of 25 high-capacity universities in Saudi Arabia, geographically distributed throughout the various regions of the country. Furthermore, in 2010 the Saudi Ministry of Higher Education passed a mandate that required every Saudi university to ensure that 5% of the accepted students per semester are non-Saudi scholarship students. This would serve as an opportunity for many who are keen on studying Islam and have high aspirations, and have applied for the more well-known universities, but were not accepted.

http://www.kamilahmad.com/studying-i...-universities/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

By hard i meant due to being only 5% very limited numbers and hearing from other people as well as reading online they tend to take more people with rare nationalities such as northern ireleand for example
    Within england they normally take 4 or 5 people i read ( i dont know if thats true though) but inshAllah whatever the case may be i will try in the future.
    But to be honest now you guys have told me about the halaqas I would rather do that but inshAllah will have to see

Odan
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

My teacher was visiting my city today so we had a good time catching up and discussing various things. He said that while the universities such as Madinah and Azhar do follow a semester system, but they still teach books in the same way that you might learn in a halaqah. They obviously won't be able to cover one book in one semester, so they break it down over multiple semesters. But some teachers still are not able to cover everything in the books, so they tell the students that we have given you a good starting foundation and now you can read the rest on your own and ask us if anything is unclear. So it seems there is not much difference between the universities and the halaqat.

Of course, there are also the traditional halaqat at the Haramain and also halaqat at people's homes.

Also, he said that the universities in Saudi now offer part-time programs in the evening. So you can work in the day and then attend the classes in the evening.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

JazakAllah khairun for the info I will look into it in the future inshAllah