Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Quran's literary challenge - "Bring Something Like It"

The question is how do you objectively compare Quran with any other literary work (or any two literary works). What would be the criteria?

1. Replicate the Qur’an’s literary form
    2. Match the unique linguistic nature of the Qur’an
    3. Select and arrange words like that of the Qur’an
    4. Select and arrange similar grammatical particles
    5. Match the Qur’an’s superior eloquence and sound
    6. Equal the frequency of rhetorical devices
    7. Match the level of content and informativeness
    8. Equal the Qur’an’s conciseness and flexibility

A lot of these are going to be impossible to demonstrate objectively: Match the Qur’an’s superior eloquence and sound - how do you measure "eloquence" and "sound"?

But suppose even if we can, the most eloquent work in a language is not necessarily divinely inspired or is it?

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1588 Post(s)

You'd also have to bring something which changes the face of the world, changes the way people live, view the world etc.

And let's be real, it's not possible for someone or a group of people to produce something that will give rise to billions of believers, transform continents, be memorised by billions and acted upon etc. This is all part of the Qur'an's challenge

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1588 Post(s)

This is probably irrelevent to your thread, but i just wanted to say

Sometimes we forget that the Qur'an is speech, speech coming from a single man who has been divinely inspired.

Yet we require the words to be written down and we need to carefully examine them to even get a sense of the beauty and order of the words etc.

It's just not possible for a human being to talk in such a way in which the Qur'an has been presented. The use of ring structures in surahs is a very interesting topic, whereby the first and last ayat are connected, the second and second last are connected etc. Tell me who talks like that?!

And of course, once he says something, he cannot edit it, he cannot change it, he cannot take it back etc. And not once did he err
    Last edited by Faith reloaded; 27-07-17 at 08:34 AM.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Re: Quran's literary challenge - "Bring Something Like It"

Quote Originally Posted by Faith reloaded View Post
    You'd also have to bring something which changes the face of the world, changes the way people live, view the world etc.

And let's be real, it's not possible for someone or a group of people to produce something that will give rise to billions of believers, transform continents, be memorised by billions and acted upon etc. This is all part of the Qur'an's challenge
    So you admitting the literary excellence of the Quran alone is not enough?

When the Quran says: Then let them produce a statement like it, if they should be truthful. (52:34), it meant all of that you mentioned in your psot?

and memorised by billions? I think the total Muslim population is around 1.6billion (including shia and other sects) and majority don't understand Arabic and many cannot even read and write their own language.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Faith reloaded View Post
    This is probably irrelevent to your thread, but i just wanted to say

Sometimes we forget that the Qur'an is speech, speech coming from a single man who has been divinely inspired.

Yet we require the words to be written down and we need to carefully examine them to even get a sense of the beauty and order of the words etc.

It's just not possible for a human being to talk in such a way in which the Qur'an has been presented. The use of ring structures in surahs is a very interesting topic, whereby the first and last ayat are connected, the second and second last are connected etc. Tell me who talks like that?!
    By ring structure I think you mean ring composition or Chiastic structure or pattern. That was very common is ancient literature like Assyrian and Greek. Hebrew bible is in that composition. Most of pre islamic poetry is in that structure. Homer's Illiad and Odyssey are good examples of that structure.

And of course, once he says something, he cannot edit it, he cannot change it, he cannot take it back etc. And not once did he err
    What about abrogation?

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yuri.g View Post
    What about abrogation?
    We do not abrogate a verse or cause it to be forgotten except that We bring forth [one] better than it or similar to it. Do you not know that Allah is over all things competent? [2:106]

And when We substitute a verse in place of a verse - and Allah is most knowing of what He sends down - they say, "You, [O Muhammad], are but an inventor [of lies]." But most of them do not know. [16:101]

Allah eliminates what He wills or confirms, and with Him is the Mother of the Book. [13:39]
    Last edited by Mujahid4ever; 31-07-17 at 07:36 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)

So you admitting the literary excellence of the Quran alone is not enough?

When the Quran says: Then let them produce a statement like it, if they should be truthful. (52:34), it meant all of that you mentioned in your psot?

and memorised by billions? I think the total Muslim population is around 1.6billion (including shia and other sects) and majority don't understand Arabic and many cannot even read and write their own language.
    Yuri:
    The total population ofMuslims is around 1.8 billion. So let's say for arguements sake around 1.6 billion are active adherents of the faith. Then those 1.6 havebmemorized at least enough what cor their prayers. That means that at least that number have memorized the reccitation. So that piece or you post just falls flat. Although the vast majority of Muslims world wide are not nativevAraic speakers, most can and dobutilize the Qur'an in their salat. I am a revert of eight years. I am not able tovcrely converse with my Arabic brothers, becaus English is my primary tongue. But I have memorized the Qur'an enough to make salat correctly. Inshallah I will mean more.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    755 Post(s)

The question is how do you objectively compare Quran with any other literary work (or any two literary works). What would be the criteria?

1. Replicate the Qur’an’s literary form
    2. Match the unique linguistic nature of the Qur’an
    3. Select and arrange words like that of the Qur’an
    4. Select and arrange similar grammatical particles
    5. Match the Qur’an’s superior eloquence and sound
    6. Equal the frequency of rhetorical devices
    7. Match the level of content and informativeness
    8. Equal the Qur’an’s conciseness and flexibility

A lot of these are going to be impossible to demonstrate objectively: Match the Qur’an’s superior eloquence and sound - how do you measure "eloquence" and "sound"?

But suppose even if we can, the most eloquent work in a language is not necessarily divinely inspired or is it?

Hi,

Mr Deedat puts that challenge in 1980's to 14 million arab christians here to bring ' something like it '' here at 2 minutes ticker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3epdW5fjqg

@Faith reloaded @Fareed52
    My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    755 Post(s)

What about abrogation?
    Its the mercy of The Lord to save his slaves from sins as proved here and also many other hidden wisdom as a test & strengthen Islam & the Glorious Quran

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...-Contradicting
    My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim