Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

The concept of Qawwamah

I've been reading up some arguments by the liberals about how the concept of Qawammah (Obedience of a wife to a husband) doesn't need to apply when women outearning their husbands. I know this is absolutely preposterous since I believe the Quran to be for all times and for all places. Was this issue categorically dealt with anywhere??

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    189 Post(s)

Re: The concept of Qawwamah

It matters not whether shes earning more or less than him. What matters is that if he is not providing for his wife than she does not have to give him his marital rights.

But stay away from these things the shaytaan will try to make you think of these things and create fitna

Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4352 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
    I've been reading up some arguments by the liberals about how the concept of Qawammah (Obedience of a wife to a husband) doesn't need to apply when women outearning their husbands. I know this is absolutely preposterous since I believe the Quran to be for all times and for all places. Was this issue categorically dealt with anywhere??
    Earnings have no significance to wife's obedience to husband,

http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    248 Post(s)

So Khadija(ra) shouldnt have obeyed Prophet(sa) as a wife ?

The thing that liberals miss in the verse is one thing and they make Qawwamah seem to be about one thing. Let me quote the verse.

Men are in charge of women
    by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other
    and
    what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth.

The reasons of Qawammah are 2. One is spending and other is what Allah gave one over the other. In whose tafseer, Ibn Kathir, Baghawi and classical scholars say include many things that Allah gave men over women. Like right of divorce, right to lead Salah, lead State, Prophethood etc etc.

If a wife earns more then it still doesnt nullify the firsr clause of the verse which is intrinsic to how Allah created.

So no.. Qawwamah cant be nullified or circumvented. Its the way Allah created.

What we can say is just like a ruler can be oppressor. Qawammah can be misused and not fulfilled by men.
    Last edited by savo234; 17-07-17 at 10:07 PM.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by savo234 View Post
    So Khadija(ra) shouldnt have obeyed Prophet(sa) as a wife ?

The thing that liberals miss in the verse is one thing and they make Qawwamah seem to be about one thing. Let me quote the verse.

Men are in charge of women
    by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other
    and
    what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth.

The reasons of Qawammah are 2. One is spending and other is what Allah gave one over the other. In whose tafseer, Ibn Kathir, Baghawi and classical scholars say include many things that Allah gave men over women. Like right of divorce, right to lead Salah, lead State, Prophethood etc etc.

If a wife earns more then it still doesnt nullify the firsr clause of the verse which is intrinsic to how Allah created.

So no.. Qawwamah cant be nullified or circumvented. Its the way Allah created.

What we can say is just like a ruler can be oppressor. Qawammah can be misused and not fulfilled by men.
    I'm not entirely sure if I am getting the chronology right but wasn't Surah Nisa revealed after Khadija (RA) passed away?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    248 Post(s)

I'm not entirely sure if I am getting the chronology right but wasn't Surah Nisa revealed after Khadija (RA) passed away?
    This was just an example. However you have to address the second point that Allah(swt) mentioned 2 reasons for Qawamah not just one(of earning). Do you have any answer for that point.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    248 Post(s)

The two reasons are
    ( بما فضل الله بعضهم على بعض )
    With what Allah preferred one over the other
    ( وبما أنفقوا من أموالهم )
    AND what they spend from their wealths.

These are two clauses in arabic separated by the conjugation. And read any tafsir, they treat these two as reasons.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by savo234 View Post
    This was just an example. However you have to address the second point that Allah(swt) mentioned 2 reasons for Qawamah not just one(of earning). Do you have any answer for that point.
    I think you've misunderstood. I do understand the reasoning behind Qawammah. Let me know if I am understanding this correctly. Can the women forego her right to maintainance in a marriage(Eg: She earns her own money) if she doesn't want to obey her husband?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    248 Post(s)

I think you've misunderstood. I do understand the reasoning behind Qawammah. Let me know if I am understanding this correctly. Can the women forego her right to maintainance in a marriage(Eg: She earns her own money) if she doesn't want to obey her husband?
    If she wants exceptions then she has to write that in NIkah in contract. And if she gets such a man who says "Ok, I ll not ask for you to obey me as long as you do your own earning". Then Shariah does not interfere between what two people decide mutually. Its their life, their settlement.

If there is such a woman then she should find a man suitable. Islam allows that what they decide mutually.

The default is that she has to . And Qawamah is not just obedience of wives to husbands. It extends to society like leading Salah, like father being guardians etc etc. As for the particular issue of obedience then the default is that she has to follow the command of Allah(swt) to obey husbands except if he asks something beyond her capability or something sinful.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2319 Post(s)

No, because when Allah(swt) revealed the qawwamah that men have over women, the first thing he said was بما فضل الله بعضهم على بعض, this means there are areas where the man inherently exceeds the woman and excels over her, and this can not be changed no matter who the breadwinner is, or whether the husband spends on her or not. So even if she gives up her maintenace, she owes him obedience and respect, and should enthusiastically attempt to fulfill his rights.
    نَحْنُ خَلَقْنَاكُمْ فَلَوْلَا تُصَدِّقُونَ
    We have created you, so why do you not believe? (56:57)