Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Looking for help to clear out any misconceptions of islam before I convert

I'm atheist, I'm respectful of all religion it's just I was raised in a non religious household, I have an atheist girlfriend, she is planning to become muslim, when she converts, I will convert too, so we can marry, I'm happy to become muslim, I just want to get all the myths of islam fully debunked so I can go into this conversion with no worries, with me being atheist all my life, I feel I need some guidance on how to integrate and get used to practising a religion when I have never done so all my life, how do I balance my personal life and career as well as have time for religion? How do I make practising religion a habit? Will I lose my individuality by becoming religious? Is it just a misconception that all muslims are very serious and obsessively devoted to their religion?
    Last edited by najl; 16-07-17 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling error

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    594 Post(s)

Re: Looking for help to clear out any misconceptions of islam before I convert

Dont convert just because she converts that will only lead to problems in the future
    Actually seek knowledge
    Islam is about worshipping the one God and no one else except God and believing that Mohammed is the last prophet and believing in life,death, the holy books eg the Quran believing in the angels, paradise,hell and judgement day and believing that your destiny or fate is already written by God
    This is the basic beliefs of a muslim

You sound like your just converting to please your girlfriend realise that if you do not want the religion then you will struggle in life and your girlfriend will struggle with you
    Before thinking about practising this or that do you believe in God and the other things mentioned above. Look into the religion properly and you will be amazed. When it comes to being a muslim religion is primary and everything is after that but you can learn to adapt your life so everything is still possible afterall how do milions of muslims work have a personal life and become more religious.

And not all muslims are devoted to religion. But why are you looking at it in a negative way if you looked into the religion you would see its the devoted worshippers that are most happy with life.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by najl View Post
    I'm atheist, I'm respectful of all religion it's just I was raised in a non religious household, I have an atheist girlfriend, she is planning to become muslim, when she converts, I will convert too, so we can marry, I'm happy to become muslim, I just want to get all the myths of islam fully debunked so I can go into this conversion with no worries, with me being atheist all my life, I feel I need some guidance on how to integrate and get used to practising a religion when I have never done so all my life, how do I balance my personal life and career as well as have time for religion? How do I make practising religion a habit? Will I lose my individuality by becoming religious? Is it just a misconception that all muslims are very serious and obsessively devoted to their religion?
    Assalamualaikum, brother

First of all, I'm not really competent in this matter as I'm only share it to you as my personal experience so you may (or should I say must?) seek counsel from others who are more reliable on this as well.
    I was not a religious person either, I turned myself into atheism and alhamdulillah recently Allah showed me my way back home. I had all those concerns too before I revert back to Islam and especially before deciding to wear a hijab. How will my friends look at me? Will my family and my (now ex) boyfriend be okay with it? Will it change my personality? Will people see me differently? Will I even like myself? so many questions in my mind.

So, answering your questions :
    How do I balance my personal life and career as well as have time for religion? How do I make practising religion a habit?
    Personally, I think you don't have to drastically change yourself to balance your personal life, career and religion. The most important thing to do is just make sure you do your five times daily salah and be consistent with it, it'd only takes like 3-7 minutes each salah so it actually won't cost you anything. If you feel like it's embarrasing to do salah in front of your friends or coworkers at first, well maybe at first you should just try to do Maghrib, Isha and Fajr prayers at home when nobody's around. That's how I did it. I was too embarrased to let people know that I changed for good (I hate changes), so I tried my best to not let people know that I prayed. But as time goes by, suddenly it doesn't matter to me anymore if people finds out. And slowly I become more comfortable in doing my prayers and other religious activities such as praying sunnah prayers, reciting Quran, fasting, charity, listen to Islamic lectures and I'm not ashamed by it. In my experience, as long as you do your salah, the other kinds of religious activities would follow because you'll become more conscious of the presence of Allah SWT in your life, so slowly you'll try to make more room for your religion, to do more religious activities, learn more about your religion and how to balance your life. In fact, the more you're into Islam, the more you know that every aspects in our life could be turned into act of worship; taking a shower, exercise or going to work could be an act of worship. So...subhanallah, Allah makes it easy for us to balance our personal life and religion. Just relax, take your time, and be consistent with it

Will I lose my individuality by becoming religious?
    I'm not gonna lie to you, being religious (and I think it happens in any religion) will change you but not in a way that you'll lose your individuality, in fact it will add something to your individuality.
    Example, if you're a type of person who love to spend your money to buy things, when you become religious and you go out with your friends, see a nice pair of shoes and goes "OMG, this shoes looks so good on me, should I buy it?" but then you'll be like "But I already bought a pair of shoes last month...And Allah dislikes those who spends excessively, so I don't think I should. Should I give the money to the poor instead?".
    Or if you're a type of person who used to be a guy who makes jokes by making fun of others, then when you're about to do that, suddenly you'll think "will it hurt her if I say this?"
    So you'll become more conscious of what Allah wants and doesn't want from you, and it will make you give more thoughts about every acts that you're going to do. It doesn't mean that you can't hang out with friends anymore, or can't have fun anymore. It just you're become more conscious of your acts, how it affects yourself, others and your connection with Allah.

Is it just a misconception that all muslims are very serious and obsessively devoted to their religion?
    Yes. Not all Muslims are that serious and obsessively devoted to their religion. I know Muslims who are very serious about Islam and are the class clowns but never leaves their salah, and even gives lectures on Jumaah prayers, or who hang out with friends in a bar and drink coke while all of their friends are drinking beers. I also know Muslims who are very serious about Islam, never hang out to bars or others forbidden places, but never judge those Muslims who do. But I also know Muslims who obsessively devoted, and see everything as haram and everyone as kafir or hypocrite, including their fellow Muslims. So yeah, it's just a misconception
    "Take one step towards Me, I will take ten steps towards you. Walk towards Me, I will run towards you"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by najl View Post
    Salaam bro

I cant write more than our sister and brother wrote but please seek knoweldge before you convert to Islam and dont do that to please someone because its your life not them

you can start from this website

www.islamreligion.com

and you can listen to this lecture by ex atheist Dr Jeffrey Lang about the purpose of life

https://youtu.be/ifllgTA2pmY
    ("Verily, the Shariah is founded upon wisdom and welfare for the servants in this life and the afterlife. In its entirety it is justice, mercy, benefit, and wisdom. Every matter which abandons justice for tyranny, mercy for cruelty, benefit for corruption, and wisdom for foolishness is not a part of the Shariah even if it was introduced therein by an interpretation") Ibn Al Qayyim may Allah have mercy on him