Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Errors in my recitation

was hoping to avoid making a thread but i dont really know what else to do..

ok so ive recently started a tajweed class. ive been muslim since 2009 and alhamdulilah ive memorised juz amma, mulk and a few other surahs. i had no brother to teach me this is me reading and memorising (iniatially i couldnt even read arabic so i was memorising from transliteration) to the best of my ability

i have loads of mistakes like loads. even Fatiha im making mistakes and i have like zero tajweed for a lot of what ive memorised. in the class i learned that some of my mistakes were potentially blasphemous like reading aAleem (the all knowing) with an alif so it meant painful astaghfirullah.

i basically have to start from scratch again alhamdulilah a brother has agreed to teach me after jumuah

do i stop reviewing what i know? if i do that i will start to forget or do i keep reviewing it making mistakes and try fix the mistakes (which is going to be a long slow process and will take years to fix)(if i do this i could potentially be making some huge errors for a long time untill im able to fix it)

what do i do?
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Thunder and lightning european muslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)

Re: Errors in my recitation

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post

ok so ive recently started a tajweed class. ive been muslim since 2009 and alhamdulilah ive memorised juz amma, mulk and a few other surahs. i had no brother to teach me this is me reading and memorising (iniatially i couldnt even read arabic so i was memorising from transliteration) to the best of my ability

i have loads of mistakes like loads. even Fatiha im making mistakes and i have like zero tajweed for a lot of what ive memorised. in the class i learned that some of my mistakes were potentially blasphemous like reading aAleem (the all knowing) with an alif so it meant painful astaghfirullah.

i basically have to start from scratch again alhamdulilah a brother has agreed to teach me after jumuah

do i stop reviewing what i know? if i do that i will start to forget or do i keep reviewing it making mistakes and try fix the mistakes (which is going to be a long slow process and will take years to fix)(if i do this i could potentially be making some huge errors for a long time untill im able to fix it)

what do i do?
    Salaam Brother
    Why don't You try listening to one of the many qari's and try mimicking their recitation
    Try correcting your recitation in stead of starting All over

Wa salaam
    And the thunder exalts [ Allah ] with praise of Him - and the angels [as well] from fear of Him - and He sends thunderbolts and strikes therewith whom He wills while they dispute about Allah ; and He is severe in assault

Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3540 Post(s)

Waalaikumussalam Eesa
    Have you watched brother imran alawis arabic course on youtube

Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

**** Smiling won't cost you now is it ****

Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antę” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by muzzybee View Post
    Waalaikumussalam Eesa
    Have you watched brother imran alawis arabic course on youtube
    No can you link it
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3540 Post(s)

No can you link it
    https://youtu.be/Qwdyx9kAPlU

Lesson 1-onwards

See if it works...

Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

**** Smiling won't cost you now is it ****

Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antę” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

Odan
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)

what do i do?
    Firstly - It's commendable that you have memorised some surahs, and did so independently. That takes a lot of hard work and dedication. May Allaah reward you for that.

Secondly - The best option would be to see what the brother who is going to teach you - says. He will have a good idea about what level you're at, and whether you should start from scratch or continue with what you know.

Thirdly - You could always upload your recordings on here (if you're feeling brave) - and we could advise you In Sha Allaah.

Fourthly - How is your pronunciation of each letter? Once you can get the pronunciation correct - then you can gradually learn the rules and apply them.

Finally - Don't give up.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indefinable View Post
    Firstly - It's commendable that you have memorised some surahs, and did so independently. That takes a lot of hard work and dedication. May Allaah reward you for that.

Secondly - The best option would be to see what the brother who is going to teach you - says. He will have a good idea about what level you're at, and whether you should start from scratch or continue with what you know.

Thirdly - You could always upload your recordings on here (if you're feeling brave) - and we could advise you In Sha Allaah.

Fourthly - How is your pronunciation of each letter? Once you can get the pronunciation correct - then you can gradually learn the rules and apply them.

Finally - Don't give up.

Yeah I can see what he sees after jumuah tommorow inshaAllah
    As for uploading my recordings I'd prefer not to lol

My pronounciation of each letter isn't that great but inshaAllah I'll learn in this tajweed class

for your input sister

On A Hired Plane of Logic LailaTheMuslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2672 Post(s)

what do i do?
    Its amazing you know that much Qur'an, I'm not a convert and only know 8 surahs

Brother use gumtree and find a qur'an and tajweed teacher in your area (if you haven't already) and start from there in sha Allah.

This is what I'm currently doing, and I have paused memorization to learn pronunciation and tajweed.

It will take you a few months to half a year i think to learn the tajweed you need to know.
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

what do i do?

The advise that i can give is
    Listening to quran recitations by Qari while on the go will help greatly. (as mp3s)

I believe that once you start learning again, the tajweed will automatically kick in for all the ayat that you recite.
    InshaAllah.

Odan
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)

what do i do?
    Wa alaikum as salam.
    You can read arabic now, yes?
    Sounds to me that more than tajweed what you need right now is to work on your makhaarij.
    Because as you said having the wrong makhaarij could potentially mean making inadvertent blasphemous mistakes.
    So work on that. And since you read Arabic now just go over the surahs you have memorized by reading them in Arabic so that you can incorporate the newly learnt makhaarij into that revision.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3694 Post(s)

I would say continue learning the tajweed with your teacher and fix what you have previously memorized at the same time, but make sure that you recite in front the one teaching you, don't memorize by yourself. It won't take you years to correct your mistakes, it's not like you memorized the whole quran incorrectly. If you work hard it will take you less than a year to start pronouncing the letters/words to a decent level and to fix your past mistakes.
    Just don't memorize anything new for now, focus on the tajweed and listen to sheikh Hussary
    شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
    فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
    وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
    ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)

Wa alaykum salaam wa rahmatullah Wa barakatuh

Firstly, may Allah subhanahu Wa ta aala reward you for your efforts & assist you in perfecting & memorising the words of The holy Quran.

I remember Abu Taubah mentioning that whilst he was in Mauritania, his Arabic teacher would dedicate an entire day for the students to learn each letter of the alphabet. So one day all they would do is sit and recite ALIF (all day long) and the next day BAA and so on and so forth. This shows the importance of getting the pronounciation of each and every letter correct as it can alter meanings, as you have experienced. There is no haste akhi wallah, take it slow and Allah knows your intention and will reward you accordingly

Even the sahabas they would learn 10 verses at a time and not move on until they could apply the verses to their lives.

My sincere advise to you is to focus on what the brother is going to teach you, revise it and apply it. Dont move onto anything new.

With regard to that which you have already memorised, if you have memorised most of it from transliteration then you will most likely have to memorised these surahs again Wa allahu aalum. Instead what you can do is to keep listening to these surahs in your spare time so that once you have mastered the tajweed rules and correct pronounciation you can then re memorise these surahs and it will be easy for you Insha Allah

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Thanks guys

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)

Motivation:

the one who recites the Qur’an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Layla_ View Post
    Motivation:

the one who recites the Qur’an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
    Thanks for posting that
    The thought of starting over is a little daunting

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)

Thanks for posting that
    Yes it can be daunting but subhanallah its a blessing that you've realised your mistakes now (rather than later or never) and are seeking to rectify them and your reward is with Allah. Be positive Insha Allah. Instead of thinking 'oh no I have to start again, it's going to take ages, I'll forget what I memorised' etc just think that you will now be reciting correctly and on top of that you will be getting a huge reward Insha Allah.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Layla_ View Post
    Yes it can be daunting but subhanallah its a blessing that you've realised your mistakes now (rather than later or never) and are seeking to rectify them and your reward is with Allah. Be positive Insha Allah. Instead of thinking 'oh no I have to start again, it's going to take ages, I'll forget what I memorised' etc just think that you will now be reciting correctly and on top of that you will be getting a huge reward Insha Allah.
    InshaAllah

Mentioned
    648 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7988 Post(s)

Thanks for posting that
    You don't have 'start over' bro, what you've memorised is fine, it's just a matter of correcting elocution and pronunciation which you will do so as you learn with your teacher.

Odan
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)

Thanks for posting that
    If it seems daunting Eesa, I'd say stop with the tajweed class for a little while until you get the makhaarij sorted out. Because I'm assuming you're finding that learning the tajweed is altering the 'sound' of the surahs you've learned a little, am I right? And then if you work on the makhaarij at the same time that's like a double change in the 'sound'.
    But the one that's more important to get right is the makhaarij. Once you get that right you can start with the tajweed again so that you'll be dealing with one change at a time.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2546 Post(s)

@eesa the kiwi Which sheikh do you listen when you're learning a new surah?
    رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TCKMuslima View Post
    If it seems daunting Eesa, I'd say stop with the tajweed class for a little while until you get the makhaarij sorted out. Because I'm assuming you're finding that learning the tajweed is altering the 'sound' of the surahs you've learned a little, am I right? And then if you work on the makhaarij at the same time that's like a double change in the 'sound'.
    But the one that's more important to get right is the makhaarij. Once you get that right you can start with the tajweed again so that you'll be dealing with one change at a time.
    The tajweed class is starting at the vey beginning so we are covering each of the letters

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Uthmaan View Post
    @eesa the kiwi Which sheikh do you listen when you're learning a new surah?
    Mishary usually

Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9426 Post(s)

Mishary usually
    Have you listened to Husary? He is the go-to for tajweed.

https://quranicaudio.com/quran/122

On A Hired Plane of Logic LailaTheMuslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2672 Post(s)

The tajweed class is starting at the vey beginning so we are covering each of the letters
    Yeah based on my experiences, you will breeze through the letters as you know them, and then get to the pronunciation of each letters, which isn't hard if you do a bit of homework during the week in preparation for each lesson, recapping your class.

Also did you do the Arabic class with the Islamic Online University, they probably taught you about vowels etc and joining letters, and you can go through all that quickly, so perhaps ask your teacher to skip you over some classes to start with the tajweed section.

I don't know if your teacher is the same as mine, but I knew how to read and write in Arabic but didn't know tajweed, so I'm re-studying the Arabic letters with pronunciation.
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Mentioned
    723 Post(s)
    Quoted
    953 Post(s)

I was in a class for women and some of my classmates where 50+ and had to start from scratch undoing the many years of errors. keep at it and in a year's time, you'll be in a better place recitation wise.
    ⚔ Even in death may you be triumphant ⚔
    U.F Sadaqah Jariyah Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

what do i do?
    Brother, there are many Muslims who have been continuing with these mistakes till now when they are elderly.

Alhamdulillah, you are trying to correct the errors. Also, you memorized an entire juz'. Maa Shaa Allah.

You just need enough practice, and it will come in Shaa Allah. Keep reviewing, but ask forgiveness for any errors you are making. it's usually a few of the letters that commonly give problems. Correcting those shouldn't take too long.

(Please consider the rep message. The more practice, the better. We could go through each Surah, one by one, if you like, in Shaa Allah.)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2546 Post(s)

Mishary usually
    Like the brother mentioned, Sh. Husary is really good to listen to especially if you want to improve your makharijul huruuf.
    There's also Sh. Minshawi (with or without kids repeating the ayat). Practice makes perfect. Don't teach yourself the Quran, rather have a teacher that can correct your mistakes etc. May Allah make it easy for you amen.
    رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    I was in a class for women and some of my classmates where 50+ and had to start from scratch undoing the many years of errors. keep at it and in a year's time, you'll be in a better place recitation wise.
    InshaAllah I hope so. Ive only had one class so im not really sure what to expect

Unrelated question is it a coincidence we have meriadoc and pippin as mods or did you guys come up with the names together and seeing as you are admin (or something I really don't know) can you change Abu Abdullah to Gollum and sajid to Frodo so we can get more of a lotr theme going with the mods

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Uthmaan View Post
    Like the brother mentioned, Sh. Husary is really good to listen to especially if you want to improve your makharijul huruuf.
    There's also Sh. Minshawi (with or without kids repeating the ayat). Practice makes perfect. Don't teach yourself the Quran, rather have a teacher that can correct your mistakes etc. May Allah make it easy for you amen.
    InshaAllah will check him out

Odan
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)

inshaallah i hope so. Ive only had one class so im not really sure what to expect

unrelated question is it a coincidence we have meriadoc and pippin as mods or did you guys come up with the names together and seeing as you are admin (or something i really don't know) can you change abu abdullah to gollum and sajid to frodo so we can get more of a lotr theme going with the mods
    Hahaha

Odan
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)

Thanks for posting that
    What did the brother, who was going to listen to you, suggest?

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indefinable View Post
    What did the brother, who was going to listen to you, suggest?
    Something came up after so I didn't meet with him. Am planning to touch base sometime next week inshaAllah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by european muslim View Post
    Salaam Brother
    Why don't You try listening to one of the many qari's and try mimicking their recitation
    Try correcting your recitation in stead of starting All over

Wa salaam
    Waalaikumsalam.

Sorry brother you can't just follow it. There is makhraj in tajwid. (The source of sound when you recite each word). If try mimicking their recation It may makes it sound "good" but actually it is wrong word.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

what do i do?
    waalaikumsalam

Alhamdulillah.
    Back to basic. The makhroj, how to pronounce arabic word. After you have pronouce every words the right way, then try learn the tajwid.

The best way to learn tajwid is by practicing it. recite the quran with the tajwid you just learn.

May Allah guide you brother.

AllahuAlam
    Last edited by rahmat89; 10-11-17 at 02:42 PM.

Thunder and lightning european muslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rahmat89 View Post
    Waalaikumsalam.

Sorry brother you can't just follow it. There is makhraj in tajwid. (The source of sound when you recite each word). If try mimicking their recation It may makes it sound "good" but actually it is wrong word.
    Barakallahoefiek for your clarification.
    And the thunder exalts [ Allah ] with praise of Him - and the angels [as well] from fear of Him - and He sends thunderbolts and strikes therewith whom He wills while they dispute about Allah ; and He is severe in assault