Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    723 Post(s)
    Quoted
    954 Post(s)

Should I replace my laptop?

There's been a bit of debate at home as to whether I should start looking at new laptops or not. Me being sentimental and wanting to get my full money's worth is adamantly refusing lol. I've had this one since early 2014.

The main issues I currently have are:

- My laptop doesn't recognise or support the 5ghz wifi network we have and because I live around a lot of other 2.4ghz networks, I hear that potentially slows down connectivity issues
    - Google Chrome crashes and refuses to play YouTube videos above 240p so I'm regularly watching blurred outlines with occasional 360p bumps whenever it can handle it
    - Chrome also struggles to load any 'picture heavy' webpages (but does so after a bit of pushing) and so I get a pop up telling me the application has stopped working sometimes
    - MS Word temporarily 'crashes' too if I try to do anything more than type. Bearing in mind, I use this programme a lot, it poses an issue I can't ignore

The optional issues:
    - I can't use Steam on my laptop at all, which I'd like to if the main gaming PC is busy. I have several games already downloaded that I'd like to play in my own time
    - I can't use Adobe reader either because that crashes on start up, which is a bit of a pain as accessing pdfs can be somewhat useful
    - My laptop doesn't charge past 89/90%, whereas before, it would get to 100% with ease. It's not really severe, but it's a bit irritating nonetheless

I use my laptop for browsing, video streaming and document writing. I'm wondering if the issue lies with my European model, not adapting well to a North American change.

So do I need to change my laptop or is there anything I can do from my end to try and resolve the main issues?
    ⚔ Even in death may you be triumphant ⚔
    U.F Sadaqah Jariyah Project

Odan
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2079 Post(s)

Re: Should I replace my laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post

There's been a bit of debate at home as to whether I should start looking at new laptops or not. Me being sentimental and wanting to get my full money's worth is adamantly refusing lol. I've had this one since early 2014.

- My laptop doesn't recognise or support the 5ghz wifi network we have and because I live around a lot of other 2.4ghz networks, I hear that potentially slows down connectivity issues
    - Google Chrome crashes and refuses to play YouTube videos above 240p so I'm regularly watching blurred outlines with occasional 360p bumps whenever it can handle it
    - Chrome also struggles to load any 'picture heavy' webpages (but does so after a bit of pushing) and so I get a pop up telling me the application has stopped working sometimes
    - MS Word temporarily 'crashes' too if I try to do anything more than type. Bearing in mind, I use this programme a lot, it poses an issue I can't ignore

The optional issues:
    - I can't use Steam on my laptop at all, which I'd like to if the main gaming PC is busy. I have several games already downloaded that I'd like to play in my own time
    - I can't use Adobe reader either because that crashes on start up, which is a bit of a pain as accessing pdfs can be somewhat useful
    - My laptop doesn't charge past 89/90%, whereas before, it would get to 100% with ease. It's not really severe, but it's a bit irritating nonetheless

I use my laptop for browsing, video streaming and document writing. I'm wondering if the issue lies with my European model, not adapting well to a North American change.

So do I need to change my laptop or is there anything I can do from my end to try and resolve the main issues?
    I would not be able to tolerate all those inefficiencies and would just buy a new Laptop, which will obviously have more powerful specs.

Mentioned
    723 Post(s)
    Quoted
    954 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indefinable View Post
    I would not be able to tolerate all those inefficiencies and would just buy a new Laptop, which will obviously have more powerful specs.
    that's what I've been told lol. I know eventually I will get fed up and ask for a new one to be purchased, but I was hoping that maybe these issues could be fixed, albeit temporarily

Odan
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2079 Post(s)

that's what I've been told lol. I know eventually I will get fed up and ask for a new one to be purchased, but I was hoping that maybe these issues could be fixed, albeit temporarily
    Lol sis. I have no idea :-/

Since we're on latop issues - my Laptop has a 'Critical Battery' - so it will probably die soon. I understand the attachment to a piece of machinery (although I do have my eye on a newer model).

Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9453 Post(s)

The optional issues:

Sorry to say this, but your laptop has entered the "piece of junk" stage.

Get a new one, seriously. You can buy one now at the same price you bought that one which will have way better specs.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2267 Post(s)

I understand. You have made as much excuses as you can for your laptops shortcomings. I think you just have to break it to him. It's time to go!
    Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    701 Post(s)

The optional issues:

Before you buy a new laptop, can' you state the type of CPU and how much ram you have?

Mentioned
    723 Post(s)
    Quoted
    954 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abisali View Post
    Before you buy a new laptop, can' you state the type of CPU and how much ram you have?
    4GB RAM

as for CPU and other tech specs, I'm not sure. Laptop is ASUS X550C if that helps with researching that

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    701 Post(s)

4GB RAM

as for CPU and other tech specs, I'm not sure. Laptop is ASUS X550C if that helps with researching that
    If you're on Windows 10, open up the file explorer (folder icon in the task bar on the bottom) then select "This PC" and in the empty space to the right, right click and select "Properties". A new window will open up that will show you the processor that you have along with its speed.

Also, do you know how to open task manager?

Mentioned
    723 Post(s)
    Quoted
    954 Post(s)

Speed is averaging 2GHz, CPU is Intel Core i5-3337U

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    701 Post(s)

Speed is averaging 2GHz, CPU is Intel Core i5-3337U
    Yea, that CPU is a little slow, and with only 4GB of RAM, you don't have much room to work with. If you can be patient and wait until the beginning of next year, intel is coming out with new processors code named "coffee lake" that will be around 30% faster than Kaby Lake (their current line). So you will probably see about (theoretically) 60% - 70% increase in performance.

Also, at minimum make sure to get a computer with 8GB of RAM (it helps with having more tabs and apps open at once), though the sweet spot these days is around 16GB. Finally, if you can afford it, get a laptop with an SSD. It's much faster and will make your computer more responsive.

If you need a computer now, make sure you get an i5 or i7 that's clocked at 3.5 GHz and don't get one branded with a "U" at the end. It stands for ultra low power, so your CPU will not be very powerful. When you get a new laptop, you should get one of those laptop cooling pads that you set it on to help with air circulation. The cooler the laptop is, the longer it will last.

Mentioned
    723 Post(s)
    Quoted
    954 Post(s)

Yea, that CPU is a little slow, and with only 4GB of RAM, you don't have much room to work with. If you can be patient and wait until the beginning of next year, intel is coming out with new processors code named "coffee lake" that will be around 30% faster than Kaby Lake (their current line). So you will probably see about (theoretically) 60% - 70% increase in performance.

Also, at minimum make sure to get a computer with 8GB of RAM (it helps with having more tabs and apps open at once), though the sweet spot these days is around 16GB. Finally, if you can afford it, get a laptop with an SSD. It's much faster and will make your computer more responsive.

If you need a computer now, make sure you get an i5 or i7 that's clocked at 3.5 GHz and don't get one branded with a "U" at the end. It stands for ultra low power, so your CPU will not be very powerful. When you get a new laptop, you should get one of those laptop cooling pads that you set it on to help with air circulation. The cooler the laptop is, the longer it will last.
    this post was really helpful. I'll keep what you said in mind when I'm looking for a new model

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1588 Post(s)

^^^ Those specs sound like a complete overkill for what you want a laptop for

It seems you're interested in a light bit of gaming? Up to you if you want to spend big bucks just for that

I say buy a capabale but decent laptop and just keep your gaming for the gaming pc
    Last edited by Faith reloaded; 03-07-17 at 12:01 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    701 Post(s)

this post was really helpful. I'll keep what you said in mind when I'm looking for a new model
    Even though a certain Pokémon (thinks it's overkill, remember everything is going towards higher resolutions. The standards for websites and videos is usually set at 1080p, while moving toward to higher resolutions such as 4K and 5K. Granted, your screen may not be that dense, you will appreciate the extra horse power when playing games.

I forgot to mention that it is better to get a laptop with a discreet GPU that will handle games, just remember that it will cause higher temperatures. Maybe another member will be able to recommend what type of mobile gpu to get, my days of gaming aren't what they used to be so I couldn't recommend one. The forums over at tomshardware.com are very helpful, and you can usually get all the help you need. Just don't visit that site on a mobile device (pop ups and adds are horrible) and make sure to have Adblock Plus and unlock extensions installed on your desktop and laptop (really, if you haven't installed those extensions, do it now. It will reduce the stress on your CPU by blocking most adds. Also, adds are one of the top ways people's computers get infected with maleware.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

The optional issues:

Yes, get a new laptop, the shop owner can help to suggest those base on your needs.
    Since you play gaming, prepare to pay a bit higher price than usual.
    Im using a gaming laptop myself.

Looking at your situation, I believe the ram is not adequate.
    As time goes by , the applications used will require a higher specifications.
    So its time for an upgrade.

Laptop specs are mostly integrated parts, while they can be done to modify etc,
    I suggest you change everything altogether.

and when you pick a laptop, prepare it for something that can be used up till 5 years etc.
    Get a good brand too, and consider their customer service support.

I second what @Abisali said in his posts.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    701 Post(s)

I forgot to mention that the "Coffee Lake" processors will be made on a smaller die, which would make them more efficient and use less power, therefore will not be as hot as current CPU's - all great for laptops >.> It would be worth the wait if you can.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

I forgot to mention that the "Coffee Lake" processors will be made on a smaller die, which would make them more efficient and use less power, therefore will not be as hot as current CPU's - all great for laptops >.> It would be worth the wait if you can.
    Coffee bridge. now they are really getting creative with the names eh.
    I remember back then was ivy bridge. What next

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    701 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MuslimThinker View Post
    Coffee bridge. now they are really getting creative with the names eh.
    I remember back then was ivy bridge. What next
    They should switch to food names, like "Spinach Lasagna" or "Chocolate Ice Cream"

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1588 Post(s)
    Ice cream sandwich

Jellybean

Lollipop

Kitkat

Gingerbread

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

The optional issues:

Concerning your main issues, it sounds like the laptop does indeed need an upgrade. If you wish to not upgrade the machine itself, you can improve performance by buying 2x8GB RAM (giving you 16GB or buying 1x8GB RAM giving you 12GB) and replacing your HDD with an SSD. Those are your only upgrade options for a laptop (realistically).

I assume you are using Windows10, which is why the machine is likely so slow. 4GB RAM is not enough these days. There are other OSes to choose from, but most people would prefer to just stick to Windows (even though other OSes are better).

RE: Steam - RAM is still the issue here. Your CPU seems fine for basic games, but if you can barely run MS Word, there is no chance of running a game

RE: Adobe - same problem as above

RE: battery - this is part of the wear and tear of batteries. yours seems to have lost 10% of its capacity after 3 years. this isn't too bad, as batteries have an EoL of around 5-7 years.

I don't think the issue would be with EU/NA, as your laptop will have an adaptor that regulates exactly the amount of power it needs to charge, regardless of source of power.

You should consider upgrading your laptop. Equipment is quite affordable in NA and you can look at places like Newegg/Amazon for specials (you can even wait till black Friday or Cyber Monday to get a good deal).

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    795 Post(s)

The optional issues:

If you're willing to install a different operating system on your laptop, you could breath new life into it and keep it for a few more years.

Maybe try this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAfRKW2NANM

Mute volume before clicking link.

pizza is life
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)

hmmm bin it get a dell xps 13 ive got one and its been great, ive got a spare xps too just needs speakers and stuff replacing but if it was working id give u it ... looking after a fellow steam gamer would be an honour lol

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1588 Post(s)

@babadods

Can you give it to me for free akhi

pizza is life
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Faith reloaded View Post
    @babadods

Can you give it to me for free akhi
    sure i just gotta open it up and resolder a few things then you can have it inshaaAllah its last years model but still very good for what i can do tbh, kept clean and maintained but the kids spilled something so i setup a project to revive it and alhamdulillah most has been fixed

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2047 Post(s)

The optional issues:

-If you're intending to keep the laptop, you can invest in homeplugs. Wired internet will be much faster then your current wireless. Basically you connect a wall plug to your router and another wall plug to your laptop. Buying homeplugs may still be useful even if you're changing your computer.

-What router are you using? Access it's settings and see the 2.4Ghz crowding and adjust your band accordingly.

-Also, check for the latest drivers. Newer graphics and network drivers may improve your experience.

http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

PM me if you want the serial for the pro version for all the 3 softwares I've listed here.

-Download this uninstaller and remove unwanted apps and toolbars all at once.

http://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php

-You can also try this optimiser which removes junk from your pc. (it's safe)

http://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarefree.php

the pro version of this software also manages your ram.

-What's specifically the issue with Steam? I use it occasionally.

-If all else fails and you want to purchase a new pc, you can try reformatting your current one.

-Try foxit reader instead of adobe for reading pdfs.

-Laptop batteries have a fixed lifespan and are known to die. Some manufacturers limit the charging to 90% to preserve the battery. Charging it fully is sometimes harmful.

-Location change isn't a reason for all the problems.

-your laptop probably does not have the 5Ghz wireless chip inside which is why it can't detect them. It's not a problem but probably a limitation of your model.

What's the budget if you're buying a new one? Also are you certain your problems are not caused by viruses?

EDIT: I'm not affiliated with IObit even though it may seem like it.
    Last edited by Cptn._.Mario; 24-07-17 at 12:35 PM.
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|•.•) Hello, Assalamu Alaikum! Check out this topic! #makethechanges
    ┳┻|⊂ノ
    ┻┳|
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...adan-Authentic