Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 57 of 57
  1. #1
    heh Pippin1376's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Girl Unspecified
    Posts
    24,809
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    650

    The status of discussions on ummah



    What do you think about the state of discussions on ummah?

    While looking at threads, it seems like the same thing always happens when there's some sort of discussion of sorts. Some says something, someone immediately disagrees, or misunderstands, and lack of adab ends up getting displayed

    I dunno about you guys, but it does make me wary of entering some threads or partaking in some threads, since it almost feels like there's no point.

    I think we have a problem where we don't really listen to one another, nor do we have patience to hear a different view from our own. Instead of accepting different views or even helping one another, we'd rather argue, defame, and attack each other.

    This has always been a problem here, but it seems to be getting worse and worse lately. (I do understand that this could also be due to the fact that I've been here too long and stuff)

    Anywhootieandtheblowfish, what sort of things can be done to combat this?

    Or do you think this is even a problem to begin with?
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

    "Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

    .:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

    .:.
    ...said the spider to the fly...

  2. #41
    On Break
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    3,909
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1268 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    213

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    It definitely has changed. There is a lack of trust and togetherness (whatever that means). It's a reflection of the external state of affairs. People are angry and can't do anything about what's going on in the world. We are being lied to, scapegoated, trampled on, and nobody at large sees or acknowledges it. So, of course people take it out on each other; that's what happens when you care, you get angry at the ones you love because you believe they will forgive you. I don't know what the solution is for everyone. For myself, I'm immersed in study and real life. I'm so busy right now that I can't think about it all. It's a good space to be in, really. I wish everyone well.

  3. #42
    Odan
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    13,384
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6633 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    584

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by Sister_2009 View Post
    It definitely has changed. There is a lack of trust and togetherness (whatever that means). It's a reflection of the external state of affairs. People are angry and can't do anything about what's going on in the world. We are being lied to, scapegoated, trampled on, and nobody at large sees or acknowledges it. So, of course people take it out on each other; that's what happens when you care, you get angry at the ones you love because you believe they will forgive you. I don't know what the solution is for everyone. For myself, I'm immersed in study and real life. I'm so busy right now that I can't think about it all. It's a good space to be in, really. I wish everyone well.
    I think it's a lot more simple than this, I think it boils down to two things, it's having poor communication skills and poor control of emotions such that when you are challenged you don't know how to handle it so you go on the defensive and lash out often irrationally as this is the easiest thing to do. This is nothing new so I don't think it could have been any better at the start of UF than now.

  4. #43
    Odan Morose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    17,558
    Mentioned
    650 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8002 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    1249

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by Arsalan View Post
    The quality and content of the forum has gone down hill for a long time.
    Quit trolling.

    All the useful topics have been discussed so many times to the point where there is nothing else left to discuss.

  5. #44
    Odan Morose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    17,558
    Mentioned
    650 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8002 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    1249

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by noobz View Post
    why not install some AI mods which see which specific text and words are being used and threads and users get locked instantly.

    but wait , you'd need to pay someone to make that work.

    now who could it be .......
    Quit trolling.

    There are enough mods active at present and your idea of filtering is already in place in the appropriate manner.

  6. #45
    Odan Morose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    17,558
    Mentioned
    650 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8002 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    1249

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by zi-zizou View Post
    I think it's a lot more simple than this, I think it boils down to two things, it's having poor communication skills and poor control of emotions such that when you are challenged you don't know how to handle it so you go on the defensive and lash out often irrationally as this is the easiest thing to do. This is nothing new so I don't think it could have been any better at the start of UF than now.
    Quit trolling.

    It's simply a case of anger issues with members.

  7. #46
    On Break
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    3,909
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1268 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    213

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by zi-zizou View Post
    I think it's a lot more simple than this, I think it boils down to two things, it's having poor communication skills and poor control of emotions such that when you are challenged you don't know how to handle it so you go on the defensive and lash out often irrationally as this is the easiest thing to do. This is nothing new so I don't think it could have been any better at the start of UF than now.
    People are on edge. There have always been a few with communication issues, but this is different. The tone has changed. It used to be more trusting, more welcoming here. I feel no love. Maybe it's me, maybe I have changed and don't fit with the site or the "Ummah" any longer. Who knows. I still think it's a reflection of what Muslims are facing in society.

  8. #47
    Odan
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    13,384
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6633 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    584

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by Sister_2009 View Post
    People are on edge. There have always been a few with communication issues, but this is different. The tone has changed. It used to be more trusting, more welcoming here. I feel no love. Maybe it's me, maybe I have changed and don't fit with the site or the "Ummah" any longer. Who knows. I still think it's a reflection of what Muslims are facing in society.
    Most are from the UK...this stiff upper lip attitude plays a part in breeding a pent-up angry so and so. Muslims in 70s and 80s also faced issues...I don't think this is a cause.

  9. #48
    Sky Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    16,527
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2687 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    773

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    I'm not sure. My main issue has always been adab. If we can't talk to each other without putting someone down or insulting one another, then that is a problem. Like that one thread on hoors, someone said they felt uncomfortable about it due to being female and feeling like they get nothing in Jannah and instead of explaining things in a proper way, she was attacked and said she didn't want to come on the forum again.

    That I can't stand.
    You shouldve explain then, Pippen, the statements were against Islam.

    People didnt know if they were for real I suppose, but it turns out the person is possessed.
    “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”


    Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)


  10. #49
    Kasim Kas1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    33,792
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    206

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by Morose View Post
    Quit trolling. That's impossible if you mean refuted each other in the same discussion because only one side can be refuted in one discussion.
    You could say the same thing without the 'quit trolling' remark. Then I'll be happy to reply and explain, if you can edit please.
    الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

  11. #50
    On Break
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    3,909
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1268 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    213

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by zi-zizou View Post
    Most are from the UK...this stiff upper lip attitude plays a part in breeding a pent-up angry so and so. Muslims in 70s and 80s also faced issues...I don't think this is a cause.
    Okay.

  12. #51
    Senior Member MuslimThinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    797
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Its best that some of the concerns are put across in a proper manner to get the message across. (In some of these threads)
    Only then its a higher chance people may tend to listen. Otherwise people get put off by the comments.

    Also i notice that in a view, we can agree with some of the points given not necessarily everything.

  13. #52
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,025
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    909

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by Morose View Post
    Quit trolling.

    It's simply a case of anger issues with members.
    You on a mass spree of calling everyone who disagrees and has a different opinion a Troll?

    Trying to set a record?
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

  14. #53
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,025
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    909

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Lark View Post
    Yes talk about it.

    No more now with the new mods.
    Not really, previous no Nonsense mods like Grotbags were much better then the lax mods we have
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

  15. #54
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,025
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    909

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by Arsalan View Post
    The quality and content of the forum has gone down hill for a long time.
    True, we had far more beneficial threads and less trolling and more intelligent members than we do now,

    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

  16. #55
    Sky Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    16,527
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2687 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    773

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
    Not really, previous no Nonsense mods like Grotbags were much better then the lax mods we have
    I dont know Grotbags but all the good old mods faded away from the forum with time.

    Why dont you apply?
    “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”


    Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)


  17. #56
    SUFI HANAFI
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    42,180
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    795

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    I don't accept the view that every opinion must be accepted and respected. Some things deserve to be shot down.

  18. #57
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,025
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    909

    Re: The status of discussions on ummah

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Lark View Post
    I dont know Grotbags but all the good old mods faded away from the forum with time

    Why dont you apply?
    Yeah basically,

    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.2.7 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com

MPADC.com Islamic Web Hosting | Muslim Ad Network | Islamic Nasheeds | Islamic Mobile App Developement Android & iPhone | Islamic Web Hosting : Muslim Designers : Labbayk Nasheeds : silk route jilbab: Hijab: : Web Islamic Newsletter: Islamic Web Hosting

Students of Arabic Forum | Hijab Shop