Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

Ramadan Surah Al-Mulk Challenge - Discussion/Reflection

Allah says in Surah Sad ayah 29:

كِتَابٌ أَنزَلْنَاهُ إِلَيْكَ مُبَارَكٌ لِّيَدَّبَّرُوا آيَاتِهِ وَلِيَتَذَكَّرَ أُوْلُوا الْأَلْبَابِ

Kitabun anzalnahu ilayka mubarakunliyaddabbaroo ayatihi waliyatathakkara olooal-albabi

[This is] a blessed Book which We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], that they might reflect upon its verses and that those of understanding would be reminded.

~ Surah Sad ayah 29 [38:29]

Hopefully Capt Mario doesn't mind this:

Reading, reciting, and memorizing the ayat of Allah is a blessed thing, but we need to remember that the Quran is a book of reflection and pondering more than anything else. The Sahabah would spend years memorizing an ayah, because they wanted to fully reflect, ponder, and live that ayah.

When we read and recite we gain ilm, but reflecting softens the heart and brings us closer to Allah and Surah al-Mulk is definitely a surah that needs reflecting. It's pretty epic.

So for the challenge that is currently taking place involving Surah al-Mulk, I thought another thread discussion the Surah, sharing our thoughts, reflections, and feelings about the ayat we're learning would be a welcome companion. Because even if you can't memorize the ayah, you can still think about it.
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

...said the spider to the fly...

P*ki is outta containment Arsalan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Re: Ramadan Surah Al-Mulk Challenge - Discussion/Reflection

Got to merge the threads together.
    "Closer and closer to mankind comes their Reckoning: yet they heed not and they turn away" (21:1)

Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arsalan View Post
    Got to merge the threads together.
    No.... it's cleaner if we keep one thread for the ayat and one thread for reflection/discussion.
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    Surah al-Baqarah

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1075 Post(s)

This is such a great idea...

If I could start by sharing a virtue (or two) for reading this surah;

Verily, there is a chapter in the Qur'an which contains thirty Ayat that will intercede on behalf of its reciter until he is forgiven. (It is)
    تَبَارَكَ الَّذِى بِيَدِهِ الْمُلْكُ - (Blessed be He in Whose Hand is the dominion.)
    (Tirmidhi)

It is said that whoever recites this surah every night will be saved from the torment of the grave.
    “Mu'min” is more that just a title. It is to have Imaan established in the heart and testified to by the limbs.

Odan
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    542 Post(s)

When it comes to meaning, I am not very good at memorizing the surah in Arabic and remembering the translation. It is too much for my head to simultaneously think about definition while working overdose to recite. What I do is recognize one or 2 words per line & say "oh that's what the line is about". I won't remember the exact definition & sometimes group few lines together and call it "ok this line is talking about greatness of Allah" and no go into any more details then that

How are you planning on going about this? line by line or section by section or just general discussion on the Surah as we move forward in the other thread. I notice the other thread has translation and Tafsir

Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kya View Post
    When it comes to meaning, I am not very good at memorizing the surah in Arabic and remembering the translation. It is too much for my head to simultaneously think about definition while working overdose to recite. What I do is recognize one or 2 words per line & say "oh that's what the line is about". I won't remember the exact definition & sometimes group few lines together and call it "ok this line is talking about greatness of Allah" and no go into any more details then that

How are you planning on going about this? line by line or section by section or just general discussion on the Surah as we move forward in the other thread. I notice the other thread has translation and Tafsir
    This thread isn't about memorizing the translation or remembering the tafsir, just a discussion and reflection about the ayat and what it means to you.

Example:
    The first ayat of Surah al-Mulk is as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Cptn._.Mario View Post
    Attachment 87434 <---Click to enlarge

Translation: Blessed is He in whose hand is dominion, and He is over all things competent -

Transliteration: Tabaraka alladhee biyadihialmulku wahuwa 'ala kulli shay-in qadeer

Tafsir: Allah the Exalted glorifies His Noble Self and informs that the dominion is in His Hand. This means that He deals with all of His creatures however He wishes and there is none who can reverse His decree. He is not questioned concerning what He does because of His power, His wisdom and His justice. For this reason Allah says, "and He is over all things competent."
    When you read that ayah, when you read the tafsir what do you think about it?

For me, it's humbling because sometimes we think that our problems are so big and our worries are so large that Allah can't help us with it. But when we remember this ayah, when we remember that Allah is the owner of all things in this universe - the things that we can see and can't see, then why would we ever think that He can't help us with our problems? Or forgive our sins? Or just be there for us?

Knowing that you have a powerful backer who will run to you when you just take a few steps towards Him is humbling. It's also humbling because Allah is taking care of the universe and the samawat and the different levels of hell, and all of the seen and unseen and yet he's still there for us.

So that's just an example of reading an ayah and reflecting on it. Memorizing is great, but reflecting and pondering on an ayah is what really softens the heart and helps develop a better connection with Allah

Surah al-Baqarah

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2043 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    This thread isn't about memorizing the translation or remembering the tafsir, just a discussion and reflection about the ayat and what it means to you.

Example:
    The first ayat of Surah al-Mulk is as follows:

When you read that ayah, when you read the tafsir what do you think about it?

For me, it's humbling because sometimes we think that our problems are so big and our worries are so large that Allah can't help us with it. But when we remember this ayah, when we remember that Allah is the owner of all things in this universe - the things that we can see and can't see, then why would we ever think that He can't help us with our problems? Or forgive our sins? Or just be there for us?

Knowing that you have a powerful backer who will run to you when you just take a few steps towards Him is humbling. It's also humbling because Allah is taking care of the universe and the samawat and the different levels of hell, and all of the seen and unseen and yet he's still there for us.

So that's just an example of reading an ayah and reflecting on it. Memorizing is great, but reflecting and pondering on an ayah is what really softens the heart and helps develop a better connection with Allah
    When I read lines like those (not the tafsir) my mind automatically groups it into saying it's a verse about glorifying and praising Allah and I can't look deeper into it.

but for the verse 3

Translation: [And] who created seven heavens in layers. You do not see in the creation of the Most Merciful any inconsistency. So return [your] vision [to the sky]; do you see any breaks?
    What does Allah swt mean by inconsistency? Doesn't children being born 'special' in this world show inconsistence?
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|•.•) Hello, Assalamu Alaikum! Check out this topic! #makethechanges
    ┳┻|⊂ノ
    ┻┳|
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...adan-Authentic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

Good thread Alhamdulilah.

And how we can relate this particular verse to our daily life.

Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cptn._.Mario View Post
    When I read lines like those (not the tafsir) my mind automatically groups it into saying it's a verse about glorifying and praising Allah and I can't look deeper into it.
    Why not? Give it a try akhi.

What does Allah swt mean by inconsistency? Doesn't children being born 'special' in this world show inconsistence?
    Isn't that relating to the wonders of the universe sort or thing?

Surah al-Baqarah

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2043 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    Why not? Give it a try akhi.

Isn't that relating to the wonders of the universe sort or thing?
    I shall try, but it's just that I think of him as the best in everything. All his attributes fits into one word 'Rabb'.

Inconsistencies makes more sense in that regard but the verse says creation of the Most Merciful. That's why I was wondering.
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|•.•) Hello, Assalamu Alaikum! Check out this topic! #makethechanges
    ┳┻|⊂ノ
    ┻┳|
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...adan-Authentic

Odan
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    542 Post(s)

This surah is making me want to visit the grave. Really want to go see my friend who passed away at age 31 last year and my old neighbors dad who died in his sleep at age 42. Just feel very connected to death. Anyone else feel that?

2nd thought - I didn't think much about the opening line of this surah when I started memorizing it. I read the translation & summed it up to "Allah is great". No more thoughts to it. But as the month progressed and I am getting more "Hangry' and irritated at many things, I am finding myself reciting the first ayath to calm myself down. To remind myself my petty issues and annoyance are so minor in grand scheme of the kingdom Allah has created & he can make anything happen. So ask Allah and inshallah in time he will grant my wish instead of me losing my cool. It is a nice way of connecting oneself to the grandness of universe & remember Allah is the one who makes things happen

3rd thoughts - not going in order (cuz its more fun when thoughts flow randomly). While trying to memorize I often find myself reciting randomly verse from section of recent once I learned. It might be because I put extra time in learning that verse, it was the hardest or it might be I love the sound of that verse or it might be random. Today I found myself repeating verse 13 over and over again when I am currently struggling with verse 15. So I looked up the translation & realize maybe this verse stuck a core in me and that's why I am repeating it. Maybe my soul understands the definition before my mind does.

067.013 And whether ye hide your word or publish it, He certainly has (full) knowledge, of the secrets of (all) hearts.

When I make dua after prayer, I often turn blank. I don't know what to ask for, so most times I make generic dua. I often find it hard to express my wish during dua so one of the frequent dua I make is "Allah you know whats in my heart, you know what I desire, you are the knower of all. please grant me that which is good......". This is my copout of having to remember all my desire at specific moment after namaz & I always wonder if that is the best dua to make or should I focus on specific part of my life that I want improvement in.