Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Thread: First Ramadan

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

First Ramadan

What mistakes do I need to avoid that new fasters make?

Any tips or things you've learned about fasting such a long time, would be welcomed.

‎‫مثل الذي يذكر ربه والذي لا يذكره، مثل الحي والميت (رواه البخاري)

The Wish for Benediction Al-Mualim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    554 Post(s)

Re: First Ramadan

Try to fast a couple of times (ideally Mondays and Thursdays as it is a sunnah) before Ramadan starts to help you get into it. That's what I do.
    Pray. Fast. Zakat. Pilgrimage. Allah.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rifqah View Post

Any tips or things you've learned about fasting such a long time, would be welcomed.

Awww ma sha Allah

Take it easy on yourself... remember the Ayah of Ramadan mentioned in the Qur'an:

"The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. "

In the same Ayah, Allah Says:

"Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship" [2:185]

I can honestly tell you now- we can only fast during Ramadan because Allah makes it easy for us. Alhamdulillah.

Try to have suhoor- even if it's only a little something. It will help you throughout the day in sha Allah. And ask Allah to make performing acts of worship easy for us all in sha Allah.
    ~‘And He will provide him from (sources) he could never imagine. And whoever puts their trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allah has set a measure for all things.’~ - سورة الطلاق : 3

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3096 Post(s)

it's really not as hard as it looks lol, everyone gets scared of the long hours before ramadan comes in but when they start fasting, those hours fly by.
    best thing would be if you have some sisters around you to help you along, if there is a masjid close to you they are likely to have some lectures happening around this time regarding ramadan and do's/don'ts of fasting
    “How amazing is it that a seeker of knowledge leaves his home in order to recite and memorise the Qur’ān. It is as if his tongue is saying: ‘O my Lord, bear witness! I want to carry the Qur’ān in my chest, thereby seeking Your Face, and desiring that which is with You!’”
    Sh. Muhammad al-Mukhtār al-Shinqītī

Mentioned
    835 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2881 Post(s)

Practice before Ramadan so you get a feel for it.

Make sure you eat suhoor too and that it has some carbs that stays with you throughout the day. Drink plenty of water before and after fasting. And don't eat too fast. A mistake a lot of people make is that when they're hungry they eat everything in sight. Break your fast with a date and water. Pray. And then eat a balanced meal after but nothing too big or small. You can have snacks after so don't rush it and end up with indigestion or a trip to the hospital.

Don't push yourself too. If you feel sick then don't fast. If you get your period, don't not eat. You need food so eat it when you're sick or menstruating.

And the most important tip - create a plan of what you want to accomplish during Ramadan. How much of the Quran do you want to read? How many times do you want to go to the masjid and pray? What do you wish to eat? Planning it out will make it easier for things after so you don't feel like you're rushing or spending all of your time in the kitchen. And write a diary or journal during Ramadan to clear your thoughts and remind you of what's important.

May Allah make this Ramadan a spiritually cleansing one and make us better people after it. Ameen.
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

.:.
    ...said the spider to the fly...

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    Practice before Ramadan so you get a feel for it.

Make sure you eat suhoor too and that it has some carbs that stays with you throughout the day. Drink plenty of water before and after fasting. And don't eat too fast. A mistake a lot of people make is that when they're hungry they eat everything in sight. Break your fast with a date and water. Pray. And then eat a balanced meal after but nothing too big or small. You can have snacks after so don't rush it and end up with indigestion or a trip to the hospital.

Don't push yourself too. If you feel sick then don't fast. If you get your period, don't not eat. You need food so eat it when you're sick or menstruating.

And the most important tip - create a plan of what you want to accomplish during Ramadan. How much of the Quran do you want to read? How many times do you want to go to the masjid and pray? What do you wish to eat? Planning it out will make it easier for things after so you don't feel like you're rushing or spending all of your time in the kitchen. And write a diary or journal during Ramadan to clear your thoughts and remind you of what's important.

May Allah make this Ramadan a spiritually cleansing one and make us better people after it. Ameen.
    That's really helpful Pippin, especially planning it out. I think planning what to read each day and planning a balanced nutrition during the hours that we can eat, is such a good idea so that when I'm at work during the day, I don't have to think about it.

Ameen to your dua'a

Barakallahu feeki Pippin

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
    it's really not as hard as it looks lol, everyone gets scared of the long hours before ramadan comes in but when they start fasting, those hours fly by.
    best thing would be if you have some sisters around you to help you along, if there is a masjid close to you they are likely to have some lectures happening around this time regarding ramadan and do's/don'ts of fasting
    Thanks Rumaysah, there are some sisters at the masjid but I don't see them hardly. They go during the week when I'm at work so in the evening when I go, they are not around.

I'll look out for some lecture on Ramadan. Both the masjids close to me have lots of info on their website about Ramadan.

Inshallah, I might try the masjid close to my work as well. I'll not be needing my lunch break during Ramadan so maybe I can go to the masjid during that time.

Barakallahu feeki sister.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muslimah1436 View Post

Awww ma sha Allah

Take it easy on yourself... remember the Ayah of Ramadan mentioned in the Qur'an:

"The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. "

I can honestly tell you now- we can only fast during Ramadan because Allah makes it easy for us. Alhamdulillah.

Try to have suhoor- even if it's only a little something. It will help you throughout the day in sha Allah. And ask Allah to make performing acts of worship easy for us all in sha Allah.
    Thank you sis,

Last year I observed others during Ramadan and tried to be helpful buying dates for them (I thought it was 3 dates that breaks the fast) but I failed to realise the dates I'd purchased were from Israel and the recipients face gave a glint of horror before they smiled and said thank you.

It's a comfort running throughout Islam that Allah (swt) wants it to be easy for us and I'm sure with Ramadan, once I get the hang of it, inshallah it will be the same.

Barakallahu feeki sister for the encouragement and verses

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Mualim View Post

Try to fast a couple of times (ideally Mondays and Thursdays as it is a sunnah) before Ramadan starts to help you get into it. That's what I do.
    Al Mualim

Fundamentally Flawed. Indefinable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1489 Post(s)

Wa 'alaykum assalaam wa rahmatullaah,

Alhamdulillaah - your first observance of Ramadhaan. Amazing. I think the other members have given good suggestions, try to prepare as much as you can by listening to lectures about Ramadhaan, and fasting beforehand to get a 'feel' of things.

Keep a diary - it's always good for reflection, and an Action Plan to see what you'd like to achieve during this blessed month.

Make your Action Plan Specific Measurable Achievable Realistic Timely.

Plan your meals, make them light but fulfilling, otherwise the Night Prayers will be difficult.

Generally - focus on as many acts of worship you can do as possible.

All the best.

“And release the Waves of Justice and answer the call
    The call from the Echoes of the Oppressed”

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1783 Post(s)

May Allah swt make it easy for you
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|•.•) Hello, Assalamu Alaikum! Check out this topic! #makethechanges
    ┳┻|⊂ノ
    ┻┳|
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...471980-testing

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Don't use air freshener or spray deodorant during Ramadan. Switch to gel air freshener and roll on deodorant.

Don't gargle deep in your throat during wudu or sniff water too far into the nose.

Don't worry if you forget something, genuine forgetting doesn't invalidate the fast.

Allahu A'lam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I watched lectures and asked questions to prepare for my first Ramadhan too. The experience made it easier for me to fast the following 6 days of Shawwal.
    May Allah make it easy for you

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by islamlife00 View Post
    I watched lectures and asked questions to prepare for my first Ramadhan too. The experience made it easier for me to fast the following 6 days of Shawwal.
    May Allah make it easy for you
    Wa iyyaaki sister

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indefinable View Post
    Wa 'alaykum assalaam wa rahmatullaah,

Alhamdulillaah - your first observance of Ramadhaan. Amazing. I think the other members have given good suggestions, try to prepare as much as you can by listening to lectures about Ramadhaan, and fasting beforehand to get a 'feel' of things.

Keep a diary - it's always good for reflection, and an Action Plan to see what you'd like to achieve during this blessed month.

Make your Action Plan Specific Measurable Achievable Realistic Timely.

Plan your meals, make them light but fulfilling, otherwise the Night Prayers will be difficult.

Generally - focus on as many acts of worship you can do as possible.

All the best.

sis, really helpful advice and tips

Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1698 Post(s)

First a big congratulations on your first Ramadan, may Allah grant us all the opportunity to gather as much as possible from it.

Regarding tips, more on the practical side of things, but if one is used to tea/coffee, best to cut down and eventually eliminate it beforehand. Slowly and preferably over a period of two weeks, but a low as two days in advance can still help. Otherwise it might be difficult the first couple of days, mainly the first. I find as I get older, or maybe as I drink more tea, it gets harder to leave it. Last time it was a good two weeks of grogginess and a heavy head, wasn't Ramadan for me at the time though.
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3789 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muslimah1436 View Post

Awww ma sha Allah

Just to clarify ukthi Rifqah,

Islam By its nature is easy, Allah عز و جل intended ease and is the one who ordained fasting in Ramadan ... So it is easy , it is made easier than other months by the shayateen being chained up too,

The take it easy and Allah عز و جل intends ease argument doesn't mean we can skip obligatory fasts or reduce it etc without a Shariah reason,

http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)

Don't stuff yourself like a pig when Maghreb happens or before Fajr.

I made that mistake the first time and almost threw up.

Also, food isn't as important as water. So drink more before Fajr than what you eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Try to reduce your workload during Ramadhaan so that you can spend more time relaxing, making dhikr, making tilaawat of the Quraan, etc.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Really helpful and very much appreciated, thank you.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

SubhanAllah, even tho it's technically my seconds Ramadhan, it's the first one I'm really truely practising and fasting proper in shaa Allah . Make duaa for me ��

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

Be ready to open the fridge then realizing you are fasting and close it. You will do this repeatedly during the first week.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slaylena View Post
    SubhanAllah, even tho it's technically my seconds Ramadhan, it's the first one I'm really truely practising and fasting proper in shaa Allah . Make duaa for me ��
    Inshallah of course sister

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

JazakAllah khair

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Dua when sighting the new moon:

*اللَّهُمَّ أَهِلَّهُ عَلَيْنَا بِالْيُمْنِ وَالْإِيمَانِ وَالسَّلَامَةِ وَالْإِسْلَامِ وَالتَّوْفِيقِ لِمَا تُحِبُّ وَتَرْضَى رَبِّي وَرَبُّكَ اللَّهُ*

*Allaahumma ahillahu 'alayna bil yumni Wal eemaani was salaamati Wal islaami wat tawfeeqi limaa tuhibbu Wa tardhaa Rabbee Wa Rabbukallaah*

"O Allaah, let this moon (month) pass over us with blessings, Eemaan, safety, and in the belief of Islaam. Grant us the ability to act on the actions that You love and Pleases You. (O moon) My Lord and Your Lord is Allaah".

Do we say this du'a while looking at the moon this evening or is it okay to say it even while not actually looking at the moon?

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3535 Post(s)

Things I have learnt is that you will feel hungry in the first few days and think that you can't do this but once you have been fasting for a week, you will get into the routine and it will get easier as the month progresses...

Sometimes you forget you're fasting and just eat or drink something...a hadith even mentions it

Al-Bukhaari (6669) and Muslim (1155) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever forgets he is fasting and eats or drinks, let him complete his fast for it is Allaah Who has fed him and given him to drink.”

And you don't need to make up that fast.

“but He will call you to account for that which your hearts have earned”

[al-Baqarah 2:225]

Forgetfulness is not something which is earned by the heart.

An interesting story was narrated by ‘Abd al-Razzaaq from ‘Amr ibn Dinar: that a person came to Abu Hurayrah and said: “I started fasting in the morning then I forgot and ate.” He said, “It does not matter.” He said: “Then I entered upon someone and by mistake I ate and drank.” He said, “It does not matter, Allaah has fed you and given you to drink.” Then he said: “I entered upon another person and forgot, and ate.” Abu Hurayrah said: “You are a person who is not used to fasting.”.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

I'm just checking that the regular five prayers have no changes to them during Ramadan?

Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3091 Post(s)

I'm just checking that the regular five prayers have no changes to them during Ramadan?

That is correct though people delay magrib slightly in order to break the fast
    The servant who seeks the pleasure of Allaah, never
    abandons repentance.
    He remains in the state of repentance until the end of his life."
    [Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah]

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post

That is correct though people delay magrib slightly in order to break the fast
    I had planned some water and three dates, then magrib salah, then a meal after, so yes, slightly delayed.

Is that allowed to delay prayer? It is said hurry to prayer, go immediately. I suppose it is only slightly delayed.

Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3091 Post(s)

I had planned some water and three dates, then magrib salah, then a meal after, so yes, slightly delayed.

Is that allowed to delay prayer? It is said hurry to prayer, go immediately. I suppose it is only slightly delayed.
    We are encouraged to hasten in breaking the fast so yes it's allowed
    The servant who seeks the pleasure of Allaah, never
    abandons repentance.
    He remains in the state of repentance until the end of his life."
    [Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah]