Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

has faith helped you in fighting depression?

i dont think i will ever end up believing in something but i envy religious people since i think believing in something possible after the inevitable death, believing that there is someone up there who is supporting you etc. is helpful when it comes to overcoming life's difficulties. in atheist/agnostic groups the number of people suffering from depression is overrepresented. it s something that most atheists/agnostics would not admit but it s the sad truth .

Mentioned
    573 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8508 Post(s)

Re: has faith helped you in fighting depression?

When i start clinging more to this world, i get sad depressed i miss things in my life, i value what people say/do and they always dissapoint, i think of how i can be better, prettier, etc etc its a never ending list.

But when my belief strengthens i realise this world is nothing but a pit stop, i need nothing from this world nothing at all, and im here only to make my way to the hereafter, so this thought, inclines fear in the heart, but love for Allah and for the hereafter, and then u realise nothing is worth being depressed about in this world, we're just wanders
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nikitasmith View Post
    i dont think i will ever end up believing in something but i envy religious people since i think believing in something possible after the inevitable death, believing that there is someone up there who is supporting you etc. is helpful when it comes to overcoming life's difficulties. in atheist/agnostic groups the number of people suffering from depression is overrepresented. it s something that most atheists/agnostics would not admit but it s the sad truth .
    Yeah it helps a lot.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1060 Post(s)

We never had depression, divorces, mental issues, avoidance of children, anti-social behaviour etc. in Bosnia before. If someone lays in bed and says they can't do anything because they're sad, the parents would cure it by saying "get up and get to work or I will give you something to be sad about" - and it worked lol, because it's not an empty promise, and then you can't find the time to think about how everything sucks and how everything is impossible or horrible.
    Say what somebody can do instead of the haram if you want to help.

Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3546 Post(s)

We believe as Muslims we are created with a purpose to worship our Creator, and that Allah teaches in the Quran:

And whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed life, and We will gather him on the Day of Resurrection blind.
    Quran translation, Surah Taha, 20:124

This purpose is known to us internally, this is our fitrah, our natural internal disposition to worship our Creator, similar to what psychologists call reverence instinct.

Turning away from that natural disposition, failing to remember our Creator only leads people to difficulties, the modern lsocieties doctrine of freedom and liberalism is a lie, and will only lead people eventually to their own and societies destruction.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3324 Post(s)

Why don't you try pray? Say "oh my creator guide me" ask for a sign if you want just be sincere

InshaAllah you'll see results
    The servant who seeks the pleasure of Allaah, never
    abandons repentance.
    He remains in the state of repentance until the end of his life."
    [Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah]

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
    Why don't you try pray? Say "oh my creator guide me" ask for a sign if you want just be sincere

InshaAllah you'll see results
    i lack the faith. in my mind i asked multiple times for a help , nothing happened

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4623 Post(s)

Without Islam there is nothing but depression,

I can only imagine living a pathetic pointless life, thinking you got Whatever happened and nothing you can do about it, and no justice unless the culprit is caught, no judgement day and then snuffing it (the worthless existence of such a life)

Pure Depression,
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

As someone that was an atheist for almost 30 years, reading the Quran was like a breath of fresh air. It's not like what anyone says of it but much better. It made many things clear and is incredibly relevant for today. I would have never thought I would ever have faith... but for some reason Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala lifted the veil and I am forever grateful. I wouldn't say I was clinically depressed before, but there was a nagging sense of emptiness and sadness. I'd go to work every night come home in the morning and work some more and then go to bed. Rinse and repeat. Now, I pray and have a real relationship with Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala that is indescribable. I hope this post helps and doesn't bore you to death - haha.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmith View Post
    As someone that was an atheist for almost 30 years, reading the Quran was like a breath of fresh air. It's not like what anyone says of it but much better. It made many things clear and is incredibly relevant for today. I would have never thought I would ever have faith... but for some reason Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala lifted the veil and I am forever grateful. I wouldn't say I was clinically depressed before, but there was a nagging sense of emptiness and sadness. I'd go to work every night come home in the morning and work some more and then go to bed. Rinse and repeat. Now, I pray and have a real relationship with Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala that is indescribable. I hope this post helps and doesn't bore you to death - haha.
    nah it didnt bore me

Mentioned
    573 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8508 Post(s)

i lack the faith. in my mind i asked multiple times for a help , nothing happened
    Do not dispair, i was very confused for some time, sometimes it overwhelned me so much i broke out in tears, and thats when u just call to God and ask him to guide you to the right path... it might seem so far away right now, but dont worry and dont be scared, everything will be okay with the will of Allah
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1710 Post(s)

The worldly matter that bothers me most in life is the knowledge of the existence of such a large number of evil people, and how they have basically ruined existence on this planet for the most part and wish to do far more than what they already have. The belief that all of their plots will be foiled in the end and that they shall certainly get what they deserve is a very encouraging, for nothing can truly exist at ease without justice. And when things are so far gone, it is a great relief to know that there is Allah (swt) who can fix it all if He so pleased.

Lastly, all of this anxiety subsides almost entirely when one realizes that the only reason this place exists is for the purpose of a very temporary and brief test, and it is utterly worthless afterwards and will mean nothing compared to the everlasting results be they positive or negative. All the aforementioned evil people, everyone else (including those whom we love), richness, poorness, none of it here really means much other than a test to see how one will behave with it all and what decisions they will make. This knowledge does help one in their efforts to remain patient despite trial after trial.
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1655 Post(s)

That reminds me of the story of the man stranded on an island that I tell almost everyone! I apologise if I've told it before...

For the purposes of keeping the anecdote as it was told to me, I'll use the term 'God'.

A man was stranded on an island and asked God for help. God sent a small boat and asked if the man was okay and the man replied "yep, thanks I'm fine, I've asked God for some help I'm just waiting for that to arrive" and the small boat left.

A small plane landed on the island and the pilot asked the man if he was okay. The man replied "oh sure thing, I'm dandy, just waiting for my help to arrive". So the pilot took off.

A helicopter landed on the island and asked the man a similar question and the man replied similarly and the pilot took off.

When the man was cold and hungry he shouted at God for not providing his help.

Maybe sis, like me, you need to make the step and in so doing, will get the help and answers you need. Not all my questions were answered, nor my faith complete but I asked Allah (swt) to forgive me for my shortfall and to help me gain what I needed as I stepped forward in trusting His mercy.

يعلم ما كان و ما يكون و ما لم يكن إذا كان كيف يكون

Striving & Struggling Indefinable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1849 Post(s)

If you envy religious people - why not try 'religion'?

Imagine - having full faith, trust, reliance on God so Supreme, the Controller of the whole universe. And like you yourself mentioned, a 'support' in 'overcoming life's difficulties'.

It makes perfect sense.

But that's not to say Muslims don't suffer from depression, or any other mental health conditions, some do, and that's their struggle in life.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1315 Post(s)

” Unquestionably, by the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest. Those who have believed and done righteous deeds - a good state is theirs and a good return.” (13:28 - 29)

"And whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed life.." (20:124)

"He it is Who sent down As-Sakinah (calmness and tranquillity) into the hearts of the believers, that they may grow more in Faith along with their (present) Faith." (48:4)

Before I converted and when my imaan is low, I cannot feel happy. Some things may cause me to laugh and smile, but I do not truly feel content. The "joy" I experience is superficial and I still feel empty. To feel "happy", you have to move from one distraction to the other and still, you won't experience the same kind peace faith brings. The "joy" and "happiness" is incomplete. I cannot compare having imaan to any other feeling. I guess it could be described as tranquility, peace, etc. But I am 100% sure that you have not experienced this. I used to be an atheist so I know how you feel. If I could share what it is like to have imaan with you, I definitely would. You will never find true peace until you turn to your Lord.

Please read this. Insha'Allah it will help - http://www.almasjid.com/true_happiness

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)

Immensely. Praying, talking to God, and reading Quran are the most unique feelings in the world. It helps me day to day then there's knowing that the afterlife is better than this one, that always makes me feel better.
    "And surely this brotherhood of your is a single brotherhood, and I am your Lord and Cherisher. Therefore fear Me and no other. But people have broken their religion into sects, each group rejoicing in that which is with them. But leave them in their confused ignorance for a time." (23:52-54)

Mentioned
    715 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6304 Post(s)

Not been depressed, but it has helped me through tough times.. Alhamdulillah
    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
    [al-An’aam 6:59]

Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7366 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by علي View Post
    The worldly matter that bothers me most in life is the knowledge of the existence of such a large number of evil people, and how they have basically ruined existence on this planet for the most part and wish to do far more than what they already have. The belief that all of their plots will be foiled in the end and that they shall certainly get what they deserve is a very encouraging, for nothing can truly exist at ease without justice. And when things are so far gone, it is a great relief to know that there is Allah (swt) who can fix it all if He so pleased.

Lastly, all of this anxiety subsides almost entirely when one realizes that the only reason this place exists is for the purpose of a very temporary and brief test, and it is utterly worthless afterwards and will mean nothing compared to the everlasting results be they positive or negative. All the aforementioned evil people, everyone else (including those whom we love), richness, poorness, none of it here really means much other than a test to see how one will behave with it all and what decisions they will make. This knowledge does help one in their efforts to remain patient despite trial after trial.
    جزاك اللهُ خيراً‎

I also feel a lot of anger how such evil people have a purchase over this world to the extent that they can cause suffering on a scale most significant. And yes they'll be punished one day, which is a comforting thought, but while you're in this world it's not really enough. Because you see an evil person and the mischief they spread and the oppression they cause and you patiently wait thinking they'll die soon and it will end, yet a decade later they are still alive and well.

As for personal tests, well yes whilst it might be temporary until death, death does not end it all because then there's the worry of accountability for one's own works in this life. And, I don't know, but I can't help but feel that it would have been better had a person not been born. It's an evil thought, but I can't help it.

Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1710 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morose View Post
    Because you see an evil person and the mischief they spread and the oppression they cause and you patiently wait thinking they'll die soon and it will end, yet a decade later they are still alive and well.
    Wa iyyakum, regarding the above that's true. Sometimes the evilest of people might live the longest lives, more than normal. To me though that indicates how hopeless they are, that despite all that they have done, what is in store for them is so bad that Allah (swt) has actually left them for these few years, undisturbed. Because it's really not going to matter in the end. When the most wretched and downtrodden person on earth is dipped into paradise for an instant, he will say he has never seen a moment of hardship in his entire life. And when the kaafir is dipped in jahannam for just an instant, he will say he never saw a moment of good. So in the end, these few years mean nothing.

You're definitely right about the afterlife, unfortunately it is not guaranteed for any one of us for certain, but perhaps with enough du`aa and istighfaar a good end may be granted. Most important thing is that while the limbs may fall into sin at times, we try at least to keep what is inside as clean as possible.
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1655 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by علي View Post
    Wa iyyakum, regarding the above that's true. Sometimes the evilest of people might live the longest lives, more than normal. To me though that indicates how hopeless they are, that despite all that they have done, what is in store for them is so bad that Allah (swt) has actually left them for these few years, undisturbed. Because it's really not going to matter in the end. When the most wretched and downtrodden person on earth is dipped into paradise for an instant, he will say he has never seen a moment of hardship in his entire life. And when the kaafir is dipped in jahannam for just an instant, he will say he never saw a moment of good. So in the end, these few years mean nothing.

You're definitely right about the afterlife, unfortunately it is not guaranteed for any one of us for certain, but perhaps with enough du`aa and istighfaar a good end may be granted. Most important thing is that while the limbs may fall into sin at times, we try at least to keep what is inside as clean as possible.
    Can I ask about this and say, there are verses in the Quran or ahafith that say if a person does such and such, recites this particular verse a number of time, does this and that, they will go to Jannah. Is this not a guarantee as it is written in either the Quran or ahadith or both?

يعلم ما كان و ما يكون و ما لم يكن إذا كان كيف يكون

Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3324 Post(s)

Sorry for late reply

Sister I'm a convert to Islam, the first time I prayed to God (without partners I was raised Christian) was when It seemed i was half dead from an OD. I don't remember much from that prayer I was pretty sick but I was like God you have to help me, tommorow I'll be back to my old tricks but you have to help me

From that day pieces of the puzzle slowly fell into place. I was put in an extremely unpleasant situation that forced me to clean up. I ditched my loser friends and started trying to make up for the evils I had committed. Slowly but surely I was led along a path that ended in me embracing islam. From the grace of Allah I was able in Islam to turn my life around. I'm something like 8 years clean, I have good relations with family and I have a peace that all the drugs in the world couldn't give me

Keep praying, it may not be answered today it may not even be answered this month or year but if you are sincere inshaAllah (God willing ) it will be answered. It was only years later looking back that I saw my prayer was answered but it was in such a way my whole life changed
    The servant who seeks the pleasure of Allaah, never
    abandons repentance.
    He remains in the state of repentance until the end of his life."
    [Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah]

Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1710 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rifqah View Post
    Can I ask about this and say, there are verses in the Quran or ahafith that say if a person does such and such, recites this particular verse a number of time, does this and that, they will go to Jannah. Is this not a guarantee as it is written in either the Quran or ahadith or both?
    There are certain actions one can do to protect themselves, but there are many factors to consider as well. First of all, in doing any of these things, the person's intentions need to be pure (i.e. not to show off, the action has a good base such that haram was not used in the process of it, etc), we don't really know if the deed is accepted, we just ask that Allah (swt) accepts our deeds. I heard in a lecture one time that Ali (r. a) stated as he walked to the masjid that if he knew Allah (swt) accepted a single footstep, he would not have minded dying that moment. Because if one's deeds are accepted, no matter how small they will enter paradise as Muslims.

Second is that while a person may do some of these things, other actions they do may render these deeds null and void, and these are typically major sins like shirk and so on. We don't really know how things are going to end, and in Islam the ending matters greatly and reflects the life that was lived.

Lastly if they oppressed someone and there is a score that needs to be settled, it might necessitate punishment on them even if in the end they will go to paradise.

In shaa Allah anyone who dies upon Islam, no matter how bad their state is, so long as they have not left the religion, they will end up in paradise. The fear comes from what punishments one might have to go through thanks to their actions before they reach paradise. I hope that for the vast majority of Muslims, they will never enter the fire, but there remains the lesser punishments of the grave to consider which are quite bad on their own.

Mentioned
    1092 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9335 Post(s)

but.... believing in the Creator is so much more than just overcoming life's difficulties

it's like all humans have been created with an inner compass that wants to go to paradise. Some people really pay attention to that pull and some I guess.... u know like when u put a magnet next to a compass it goes all haywire, then this world is the magnet that can do that to the compass.

If you silenced everything, then would your thoughts be different?

If it was an empty world with just you on the planet... would you believe in a Creator then?

the worst thing before God isn't murder or stealing or anything else other than associating partners with Him... even though they are great sins...But I really had to reflect on this a lot. You can be forgiven for anything apart from shirk (associating partners with Him). So I was trying to think why why why? Why is that the worst, when in this world we see people in so much pain at the hands of others...

But it's not just about relying on God or turning to Him when we're down, although this is a mercy from Him that the sadness in our hearts will turn us towards Him, but it's about reverence of God, it's about being grateful to God, it's about being in such awe that wow being such a lowly human being He has allowed me to breathe, to feel, to smell, to touch, to laugh, to cry, to be brought up in a family, to be brought up in a house, to just be in complete awe. There are people that will never even know what clean water tastes like, there are people that will never know what photosynthesis is... i'm just listing basic stuff but there are such complexities in the world. Just think of the ocean and how vast it is and having lived on this planet for sooooo many years we still only have limited knowledge of what is in there...

yeh i know a lot of people turn to God or maybe allow religion into their life when they are going through hard times, or their life feels constricted. When you feel so helpless, most people will try anything right.. but what about when your life is good and your life opens.... how many people still believe with the same conviction.

life can be hard.... but life can sometimes be good that it'll suck u in, so u just have to keep that reality check there ALL the time

if you reflect on this world, if you really truly look in yourself and reflect, then maybe the answer lies there

and maybe it isn't in an overwhelming omg i believe in God type feeling.... maybe it starts off as something small and then the more you delve into learning islam the stronger your conviction becomes and the more focused that campus becomes staying far away from the magnets

anyway i'm NF so you might not get this all lol but i will make dua for you anyway
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

For a few months some years ago, the doctor gave me anti depressants and Ritalin, told me i had depression and adult ADHD. But sometimes i think weed would have helped better than both. lol.

Jokes aside, pondering on faith, i feel depression is somewhat a natural state we get in and out of sometimes, it gives us a more sombre view of the world and lets us see different perspectives on whatever we ponder on... Having faith, i find, puts all these into "balance". I'm still figuring things out, still learning. I don't think faith makes things better like a magic potion would, but more like re-wiring our thoughts and emotions so that we can make better sense of the situation, have a better feel of what is really going on, and make better choices with our life.

Like a lot of bros and sis here have shared that remembrance of God brings the heart peace... but then how do we remember God if we don't know God? and how would remembrance of God bring us peace if what we have is a negative view of God? For many atheists and agnostics, the concept of God is either non existence or untrue or unknown. Thinking of a far away deity who would punish you for doing wrong (even if you don't know what that wrong is or why it is wrong) is far from comforting either - as a born Muslim i did struggle with a misunderstanding of God, but i am striving to know God better, if He so Wills it.

So consider for a while that God is All Knowing, All Hearing, All Seeing, All Wise - He perceives every vibrating atom in the entire existence, every thought (conscious or sub conscious) by everyone from time immemorial to today to whenever. In Islam these are some of what we believe God's attributes are. He is also All Merciful, All Compassionate, All Loving - look up the 99 attributes of God in Islam if you like, and ponder on them when you think about "remembrance of God".

When Muslims remember God, i imagine we reaffirm our faith that God created everything, He is the Lord of All Worlds (plural, the world that is seen, the world that is unseen, the worlds of emotions and thoughts in each individual and collective etc). We recall that God put things in order for a reason - and this is something for us to ponder upon, in sickness and health, and happiness and sadness, and act upon. As a member of the human race, i believe that there are signs that God has left within ourselves and within the world that He has made us exist in... and revelation too (i.e The Quran) of course, but if that's not yet your cup of tea, look at His other creations and wonder. I read this somewhere, that in Islam, we believe that God does not ever wrong any soul, and He does not ever burden any soul with more than it can bear. So whatever hardships we face, we were created to be able to face it. But in Islam, we also believe that God does not change the condition of a people unless they change that which is within themselves. So, yes, we can overcome whatever challenges we face, we are built for it. But we have free will. We can choose how to overcome or even if we want to overcome. Look at this from an individual standpoint, or as humanity across time and space - look at all our successes and failures, the good, bad, all in between. We are created to be able to make these choices, have these experiences. So now, if we're in a rut, look at where we are, and decide what we should do - then put our trust in God. Because He made this life temporary, so we shouldn't focus too much on results in this life - control is an illusion. Focus on what we need to do and put in the effort sincerely - because once we do that, we're as good as already being there.

Now i've gone on rambling... forgive me if this bothers anyone. if there is anything good here, it is from God. Anything bad, well they are my shortcomings (and perhaps a test from God). Please point out what i can do better, or if if there is anything to clarify further (p.s. if anyone out there knows how to help me put down thoughts more concisely i'd love to get in touch).

may God's peace be with you all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

I thought it did but I've given up over time.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)

Yeah all the time... when im feeling down and crying, knowing Allah is there seeing and hearing me, and believing he can and will help me is surely the feeling that gets me out of the situation...

Money donation have been the one thing that turned my life upside down, dont wait to feel down, give out sadaqah to the poor in your good and bad day, and trust that doing good deeds in your good days will serve you in ur bad days
    My down time since i started donating has really shrank to no more than 1-2 hours and i quickly move on, it was never ever like that...

I've recently left my job and decided being jobless was a better choice (knowing uncertaintly gives me anxiety, being a muslim hijabi applying for top secret jobs is really tough) yet i did... the empty feeling of not working, and the fear of not getting a job could be very overwhelming on me... but alhamdulillah, i had an interview on thursday, it went so bad, so bad i cant explain... but they called me next day to start! I know my bad interview isnt how i got the job... but being a believer and praying to Allah that without a job i wont be able to keep with my donations, i believe my prayers were answered...
    Last edited by malleat1; 29-04-17 at 04:35 AM.
    * typing from my phone, excuse the mess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Faith heals depression

Just don't label it with a jinn I mean calling any mental illness posession