Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I told my mother that I'm Muslim and she's inconsolable

She wouldn't stop crying and saying that she failed.

She said that I've been brainwashed and that I was probably targeted by recruitment because they're trying to steal America's best and brightest from colleges and turn us into Muslims (she watches too much Fox)

I went to hug her and tell her that I'm the same boy she's always known, we still pray to the same God and that I still love her and she pushed me away the hardest she's ever pushed me in her life, I went flying across the room.

Then she started saying terrible stuff about the prophet pbuh that she probably read online, and told me that I betrayed her, our community and America. May Allah SWT forgive her.

I did notice that she only mentioned God in the context of me burning in hell, otherwise it was all about her and what she wanted and how she doesn't deserve this.

She reacted ten thousand times worse than when my sister came out of the closet as a lesbian, which is terrifying to think about.

I don't know what to do, I just would like some advice.

Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3232 Post(s)

Re: I told my mother that I'm Muslim and she's inconsolable

:

Be patient brother
    I got a similar reaction when I converted but alhamdulilah they soon saw a huge change in me
    These days while they still don't really like Islam they respect that it's good for me, mum even gets halal meat when I visit

Be the best you can to them, let your actions do the talking and inshaAllah they'll come round
    The servant who seeks the pleasure of Allaah, never
    abandons repentance.
    He remains in the state of repentance until the end of his life."
    [Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah]

solitude
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2357 Post(s)

Seems like it's common for parents of reverts to start blaming themselves when their son/daughter converts to Islam. Heard it in stories and I've experienced it too.

Don't do what I did. Don't get worried and suddenly start hiding Islam again where you never bring it up because your mother might think you've lost interest in Islam. This is an opportunity to show your mom (and your father, family, siblings etc) that it has changed you for the better and will hopefully one day change their views.

Only advice I can give really, others will be more helpful no doubt.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)

yes, like the previous poster said, be patient brother.

you can also speak the imam/leader who assisted in the conversion.
    he will be able to guide you in the matter.

i believe this is a test from Allah swt. You will be rewarded for your patience.
    i believe you know how your mother's character is like and using that knowledge , do accordingly to convince her. Access the situation accordingly.
    Also, speak to other family members, have another support.

you can learn experience and in this knowledge from others who have faced similar to your situation.

things like this may take time.

Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4346 Post(s)

Excellent advice given by brothers and sisters,

Akhi Always Learning, follow the advice given, إِن*شَاءَ اَللّٰه they will see that your a better person as a Muslim than a non Muslim can ever be,

Let Your actions and Manners do the talking, don't get into heated arguments and you will definitely need a huge dose of patience as you will almost certainly hear horrible accusations against Islam,

http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)

hmm it seems your mothers got it in really big for Islam; are you an adult/ if so than best move out

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

May Allah make it easy for you and your mother. be patient and give her some time. you never know, over time she might calm down and become more tolerant.

Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8437 Post(s)

Oh brother may Allah make it easy for you,
    I cant say much more then that
    She will cool down with time, sabr is the message here, its hard for us but fir them as well, they dont know anything about islam, to think my mum asked me "so you want to become a morrocan???" proves part of that. Theyre so scared of the unknown, and that fear is so easily used by shaytan bc he tells them not to listen to our dawah and we are deluded and we shouldnt be given attention etc, but Allah opens the eyes of those he wills to islam, and make dua to him that he opens ur families eyes in sa Allah...

Things will get better in sha Allah
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1075 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    She wouldn't stop crying and saying that she failed.

She said that I've been brainwashed and that I was probably targeted by recruitment because they're trying to steal America's best and brightest from colleges and turn us into Muslims (she watches too much Fox)

I went to hug her and tell her that I'm the same boy she's always known, we still pray to the same God and that I still love her and she pushed me away the hardest she's ever pushed me in her life, I went flying across the room.

Then she started saying terrible stuff about the prophet pbuh that she probably read online, and told me that I betrayed her, our community and America. May Allah SWT forgive her.

I did notice that she only mentioned God in the context of me burning in hell, otherwise it was all about her and what she wanted and how she doesn't deserve this.

She reacted ten thousand times worse than when my sister came out of the closet as a lesbian, which is terrifying to think about.

I don't know what to do, I just would like some advice.
    I cannot stress this enough, keep your calm and manners intact.... Respect is an essential part of Islam and parents deserve the best of it. Be prepared for emotional outbursts but do not absorb any of it... seek knowledge you will be better equipped and firm...

... be happy, and trust in Allah. You are on the right and there's no way Allah will leave you alone if you keep your hopes in Him alive....

Welcome to Islam, may Allah keep you steadfast and grant you the best of both worlds.

Ameen...
    “Mu'min” is more that just a title. It is to have Imaan established in the heart and testified to by the limbs.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Firstly Alhamdulillah you became Muslim brother!
    My mother had & still has a similar reaction to them point of flat out refusing to admit to any of her friends or let me tell our family I am Muslim, SubhanAllah may Allah guide her & your mother too . Whether your mother calms down or not will only be a matter of time. Either she'll rescpect you and ur new found faith, or she won't. Try to always stay polite with her as we can show people true Islam by our manners often (it's a form of Dawah)
    Ultimately we as Muslims must always choose Allah SWT over people and people in this dunya. It's hard, but take comfort in the fact Allah will reward you for this struggle. Good luck akhi, and may Allah keep you steadfast