Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

how do you guys manage/control your children when they play with electronic devices

Salam

as per subject
    I have noticed a lot of children spend their time away on gadgets and i want to ask you guys this,
    how do you guys manage/control your children when they are playing their electronic devices? (from spending too much time on those devices like smartphones ipad etc? ) other than the setting up of rules etc.
    and what is your opinion on this? their attention etc

I thought it be beneficial for all of us, since this affects most of us.
    Last edited by MuslimThinker; 10-04-17 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)

Re: how do you guys manage/control your children when they play with electronic devic

Quote Originally Posted by MuslimThinker View Post
    Salam

as per subject
    I have noticed a lot of children spend their time away on gadgets and i want to ask you guys this,
    how do you guys manage/control your children when they are playing their electronic devices? (from spending too much time on those devices like smartphones ipad etc? ) other than the setting up of rules etc.
    and what is your opinion on this? their attention etc

I thought it be beneficial for all of us, since this affects most of us.
    I try to teach important life skills at the same time. As in, you have to earn time on the electronical devices by doing chores. The more time you spend doing chores per day, the more time you get for fun. The chores are completely optional. I'm hoping this builds delayed gratification, where they want to work and enjoy the result of their work in the end. If they chose to do no chores, then they get no fun on the electrical devices. Plus, I never pressurise them to do chores, they have to chose to do them themselves.

Hopefully, this builds initiative in them too!
    Last edited by oshirowanen; 10-04-17 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Re: how do you guys manage/control your children when they play with electronic devic

Quote Originally Posted by oshirowanen View Post
    I try to teach important life skills at the same time. As in, you have to earn time on the electronical devices by doing chores. The more time you spend doing chores per day, the more time you get for fun. The chores are completely optional. I'm hoping this builds delayed gratification, where they want to work and enjoy the result of their work in the end. If they chose to do no chores, then they get no fun on the electrical devices. Plus, I never pressurise them to do chores, they have to chose to do them themselves.

Hopefully, this builds initiative in them too!
    Thank you, yes i agree that's one way. by rewarding them for the work they put in. at least they did something beneficial alongside.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1405 Post(s)

You can put K9 on their devices

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

My son who is 6 recently got super interested in playing minecraft on our iPad. At first he was playing a few minutes here and there but now he is crazy about it. So I have started telling him, if you do this and that first (getting dressed, eat, brush etc) then you can sit for a while. And I give him, lets say 40 mins. Then later during the day if he wants to play again I give him a max amount of mins for how long he can sit. At the moment Im deciding from time to time how long he gets to sit but I want to decide like a max amount a mins or hours for the day. Lets say on a school day 1 hour and he can use it whenever he wants after he comes home and divide the time how he wants. On an off day, probably longer. We will see.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Halolani View Post
    My son who is 6 recently got super interested in playing minecraft on our iPad. At first he was playing a few minutes here and there but now he is crazy about it. So I have started telling him, if you do this and that first (getting dressed, eat, brush etc) then you can sit for a while. And I give him, lets say 40 mins. Then later during the day if he wants to play again I give him a max amount of mins for how long he can sit. At the moment Im deciding from time to time how long he gets to sit but I want to decide like a max amount a mins or hours for the day. Lets say on a school day 1 hour and he can use it whenever he wants after he comes home and divide the time how he wants. On an off day, probably longer. We will see.
    Thanks.
    Oh ok, setting time limits eh. My nephew also played minecraft, but at times it get longer than an hour. Its hard to stop. I think im going to try explore those auto-timeout sessions applications. where they auto-lock after a certain period of time. Minecraft helps creativity and kids need to de-stress after school i guess.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

Just take it away.

No child needs a tablet. They need a phone when they are older and they are out with friends, or after school sports and you need to contact them.

I've tried everything. Chores for time online, limiting time to after school only, etc etc. I couldn't be bothered with the negotiations of how much time each chore is worth, or the "I'm just saving it" that lasts for another half an hour. I hate them playing online games and iteracting with god knows who. Like clash of clans etc.

Now I've just taken it away and expect the kids to interact with each other. They can play playstation at the end of the day, so at least they're playing together.

They use the PC in my room for homework.

Nothing else.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Just take it away.

No child needs a tablet. They need a phone when they are older and they are out with friends, or after school sports and you need to contact them.

I've tried everything. Chores for time online, limiting time to after school only, etc etc. I couldn't be bothered with the negotiations of how much time each chore is worth, or the "I'm just saving it" that lasts for another half an hour. I hate them playing online games and iteracting with god knows who. Like clash of clans etc.

Now I've just taken it away and expect the kids to interact with each other. They can play playstation at the end of the day, so at least they're playing together.

Nothing else.
    But that's a good percentage of what parenting is.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

But that's a good percentage of what parenting is.
    If it was my parenting style be pretty one dimensional and my roles would be lacking in variety. Maybe its a mum/dad difference.

Mums actually have parenting 'jobs' to do while Dads just fill in here and there with non essentials?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)

If it was my parenting style be pretty one dimensional and my roles would be lacking in variety. Maybe its a mum/dad difference.

Mums actually have parenting 'jobs' to do while Dads just fill in here and there with non essentials?
    https://www.familyeducation.com/life...ortance-chores

No structured chores means the kids will grow up and be missing important life skills, which will make their future life more difficult.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Just take it away.

Nothing else.
    yeah, im concerned as well with regards to the interacting part with other players online. the language they use etc.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

https://www.familyeducation.com/life...ortance-chores

No structured chores means the kids will grow up and be missing important life skills, which will make their future life more difficult.
    I get my kids to do chores because they need to be done. Because they live here with the rest of us and have to pull their age appropriate weight. Not because they're doing me or their dad a favour. I don't like to link it to immediate payback or to luxuries. Most stuff in life we do because we are responsible for our family, not because we get instant gratification from it.

We hang the washing out so we have clean clothes to wear, not because we want to sit in front of the xbox for an hour.

I've found linking chores to luxuries leads to a slightly skewed sense of reality. Kids don't really get a explanation of why they are doing those things. They just get into the habit of tidying up their lego because they want 10 mins on game, instead of realising it's untidy to leave stuff lying around and dangerous for the elderly who may trip, and babies who may eat them. It kind of teaches them to do anything they're told just to get some small gratification, more of a pavlovian response rather than learning skills valualable to the family and the real world. I think kids learn to sell themselves short that way.

Also, it doesn't lead to a sense of responsibility and acomplishment. E.g. I put the lego away, and grandad can sit on the sofa and not have to step on stuff, or guests came round and didnt' see my mess.

I've been through a whole story arc with "10 mins" for chores and decided it just wasn't worth it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)

I get my kids to do chores because they need to be done. Because they live here with the rest of us and have to pull their age appropriate weight. Not because they're doing me or their dad a favour. I don't like to link it to immediate payback or to luxuries. Most stuff in life we do because we are responsible for our family, not because we get instant gratification from it.

We hang the washing out so we have clean clothes to wear, not because we want to sit in front of the xbox for an hour.

I've found linking chores to luxuries leads to a slightly skewed sense of reality. Kids don't really get a explanation of why they are doing those things. They just get into the habit of tidying up their lego because they want 10 mins on game, instead of realising it's untidy to leave stuff lying around and dangerous for the elderly who may trip, and babies who may eat them. It kind of teaches them to do anything they're told just to get some small gratification, more of a pavlovian response rather than learning skills valualable to the family and the real world. I think kids learn to sell themselves short that way.

Also, it doesn't lead to a sense of responsibility and acomplishment. E.g. I put the lego away, and grandad can sit on the sofa and not have to step on stuff, or guests came round and didnt' see my mess.

I've been through a whole story arc with "10 mins" for chores and decided it just wasn't worth it.
    You're right, which is why all chores should be optional. They should take initiative for being part of the family, and if they chose to do chores, they get rewarded. Chores should not be inforced IMO, as parents we should explain why they should chose to do chores for being part of the family. If they choose to not do the chores, that's fine, it just means the parents do all the chores, leaving the parents no time to plan any fun activities etc.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

yeah, im concerned as well with regards to the interacting part with other players online. the language they use etc.
    That was my main issue with tablets. I found online games impossible to put the brakes on because:

1. Their friends are playing a particular game and want them to join their online group.
    2. The older kids include the little ones in their online games and use their accounts to get upgrades or points for themselves, while helping younger child to get a few points too. Also small child gets to hang out with teenagers.
    3. They get addicted to getting another win or high score etc.
    4. The game keeps sending them reminders.
    5. You ban one game another one starts.
    6. You don't know what kids of wierdo's they are interacting with. Or who is saying what. They may get involved in adult conversations.

I realised there really wasn't any reason for them to have tablets at all. There's plenty of other stuff they can use to make their brains go numb, like watching the paint dry.
    Last edited by Ikki; 13-04-17 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)

That was my main issue with tablets. I found online games impossible to put the brakes on because:

1. Their friends are playing a particular game and want them to join their online group.
    2. The older kids include the little ones in their online games and use their accounts to get upgrades or points for themselves, while helping younger child to get a few points too. Also small child gets to hang out with teenagers.

I realised there really wasn't any reason for them to have tablets at all. There's plenty of other stuff they can use to make their brains go numb, like watching the paint dry.
    All in all, games should be avoided, as there seems to be a link between games and increasing unemployment rate in young adults:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...st-explains-24

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

You're right, which is why all chores should be optional. They should take initiative for being part of the family, and if they chose to do chores, they get rewarded. Chores should not be inforced IMO, as parents we should explain why they should chose to do chores for being part of the family. If they choose to not do the chores, that's fine, it just means the parents do all the chores, leaving the parents no time to plan any fun activities etc.
    How old are your kids? I think if you still in the getting parenting advice from the internet stage, you're kids must be in lower primary or pre primary.

At a certain age (I think 11-12) the child just has to pitch in because they're part of the team. If you put them in the habit of a payback for chores then how long is that going to carry on, until they're 18? When does it end? Rather don't start something you can't see the end of.

Chores are not optional. I don't use my time to plan fun activities. I use it to keep the kids alive. Fed, clothed and clean. The least they can do is plan their own fun. If the kids don't do chores they get a ear full from me.

Either you're too soft on your kids, or I"m a bit hard on them.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)

How old are your kids? I think if you still in the getting parenting advice from the internet stage, you're kids must be in lower primary or pre primary.

At a certain age (I think 11-12) the child just has to pitch in because they're part of the team. If you put them in the habit of a payback for chores then how long is that going to carry on, until they're 18? When does it end? Rather don't start something you can't see the end of.

Chores are not optional. I don't use my time to plan fun activities. I use it to keep the kids alive. Fed, clothed and clean. The least they can do is plan their own fun. If the kids don't do chores they get a ear full from me.

Either you're too soft on your kids, or I"m a bit hard on them.
    I firmly disagree with forcing them to pitch in, if you can get them to a stage where they realise they must pitch in without being forced, they have learnt a very important life skill. Force removes initiative in a child, which they need as a grown up. So IMO, it's best to parent kids to develop initiative to do chores. Personal parenting preference I guess.

Getting an ear full from parents only teaches them to get an ear full from their boss in the future for not doing their job.

Initiative is a very important skill to have as an adult, and it's the parents job to make sure the kids grown up with this skill.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

6. You don't know what kids of wierdo's they are interacting with. Or who is saying what. They may get involved in adult conversations.

Some games do have the profanity checks but rarely. So kids are now learning these words at quite a very young age. if not games, then movies. I think muslims should create more of the islamic brand of games. create a safe environment etc. but the thing is the games out there always have the pull factor. more fun they say. Games are addictive yes.

haha yes, you ban one game and another starts. im ok with creativity games though, puzzles and all that. like math and stuff. I think games also have some kind of "changing the persons attitude effect". the character etc. (like trying to be a hero etc)
    the thing about tablets are also the video-sharing websites. the comments are really harsh at times. either they are not playing games, or watching games on video-sharing websites.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

I firmly disagree with forcing them to pitch in, if you can get them to a stage where they realise they must pitch in without being forced, they have learnt a very important life skill. Force removes initiative in a child, which they need as a grown up. So IMO, it's best to parent kids to develop initiative to do chores. Personal parenting preference I guess.

Getting an ear full from parents only teaches them to get an ear full from their boss in the future for not doing their job.

Initiative is a very important skill to have as an adult, and it's the parents job to make sure the kids grown up with this skill.

I think both of you have your own points. in the end its up the individual family i guess, different family different kind of conditions/situations. they will know their children best and scenarios. also it depends on the age group of the children. For me during my childhood, i was at times forced to do chores because honestly lazy(guilty). but most of the times, i was asked to help, so there was no forcing or initiative in that matter. later when i grew up the initiative comes in, because maturity. if the initiative in helping parents comes at a very early stage of growing up, then that is a very very good sign. education is important, the child can learn that he/she get rewards for helping their family.

Regarding the getting an ear full i believe discipline is also important. Kids need discipline. Not really getting an ear full literally but some kind of discipline. doing Chores early are about developing good habits also.

but i wont really feel all this yet as a parent because i havent had kids yet. so lack of experience.

a muslim in a odd place HelloEverybody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)

Internet fully disabled, some games downloaded from time when they weren't.

Victory is promised... Deeni Akh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    765 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7123 Post(s)

Just take your kids out more, spend quality time with them. And if you need to use your phone or another electronic device, don't use it in front of them as they will want to imitate you.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HelloEverybody View Post
    Internet fully disabled, some games downloaded from time when they weren't.
    Thanks , you mean download those games then put them on offline eh without internet connection. ok

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deeni Akh View Post
    Just take your kids out more, spend quality time with them. And if you need to use your phone or another electronic device, don't use it in front of them as they will want to imitate you.
    thanks for the advices,brother. yes, i guess this will work, once they see nature or outside surroundings a lot more often, they will want to spend lesser time with their electronic devices, and get addicted less.
    imitation is also a strong factor. i like writing, hopefully when i have kids one day they follow me writing. And reading.

I think this imitation part is also relevant with regards to the chores discussion above. If they see you doing chores, they might follow too hopefully.

a muslim in a odd place HelloEverybody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)

Thanks , you mean download those games then put them on offline eh without internet connection. ok
    Some games work without Internet, not all. These were downloaded when kids still had the internet. I didn't care about games, I was more worried about social media and video providers such as youtube. Problem was gore videos, anti-Islamic and generally lewd content.

Victory is promised... Deeni Akh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    765 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7123 Post(s)

thanks for the advices,brother. yes, i guess this will work, once they see nature or outside surroundings a lot more often, they will want to spend lesser time with their electronic devices, and get addicted less.
    imitation is also a strong factor. i like writing, hopefully when i have kids one day they follow me writing. And reading.

I think this imitation part is also relevant with regards to the chores discussion above. If they see you doing chores, they might follow too hopefully.
    Completely agree bro

The good bloke
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Easiest way is to hide the charger

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)

give them an alternative and don't deprive them of their fun especially during childhood.
    take them outdoors and show them the world and nature
    play board games with them
    read books

most important rule is to make sure no one around the kids do it keep it away from your families as children do what adults do.

i for one hate it if there are 2 or more people in a room and one person has their head down to a phone ... start a convo will you or eat together just don't pull your phone out playing games or txting day in and out.

i'm not married or anything but this is my family's attitude to these things and its how i was raised, finally its how i treat the cousins etc.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by babadods View Post
    give them an alternative and don't deprive them of their fun especially during childhood.
    take them outdoors and show them the world and nature
    play board games with them
    read books

most important rule is to make sure no one around the kids do it keep it away from your families as children do what adults do.

i for one hate it if there are 2 or more people in a room and one person has their head down to a phone ... start a convo will you or eat together just don't pull your phone out playing games or txting day in and out.

i'm not married or anything but this is my family's attitude to these things and its how i was raised, finally its how i treat the cousins etc.
    Thanks
    yeah board games, really. Can't wait to have kids and play with them those, been years since i played board games.
    Im not married either actually, just preparing and trying to help the young ones around me, nephews nieces and for knowledge.

its good that your family culture keep this good habit

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)

Thanks
    yeah board games, really. Can't wait to have kids and play with them those, been years since i played board games.
    Im not married either actually, just preparing and trying to help the young ones around me, nephews nieces and for knowledge.

its good that your family culture keep this good habit
    yeah man, IA i hope you grow up be be a man who can do justice to the people around you and your kids, and that you marry someone pious.

Odan
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

those devices are a big fitna. whenever I go and visit my sisters place, I see every one of their kids just glued to their phone or ipad all day long!

that's all they are interested in doing. I hope to give a phone to my kids when they are 18 inshallah

at the moment I just let my 3 year old watch cartoons on my phone, 30 mins max, same for TV. and I try not to do that every day.
    Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children...

-Quran (57:20)

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    734 Post(s)

The way I see it, you just need to raise them on going outdoors more when they're young and give them a limited fixed time on electronic devices. When they're older though I think you should just let them use it freely, so long as they still study and fullfil their Islamic duties.

Just be careful what they do on their devices.

Odan
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dsr478 View Post
    The way I see it, you just need to raise them on going outdoors more when they're young and give them a limited fixed time on electronic devices. When they're older though I think you should just let them use it freely, so long as they still study and fullfil their Islamic duties.

Just be careful what they do on their devices.
    Yes. Good idea. Inner city kids just want to eat chips and play call of duty all day. Too much laziness.
    Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children...

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    734 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deen1984 View Post
    Yes. Good idea. Inner city kids just want to eat chips and play call of duty all day. Too much laziness.
    *crisps

Odan
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Children in Japanese city banned from using smartphones after 9pm

Soaring mobile phone use and rising bullying rates have prompted one Japanese city to issue a nightly curfew on mobile devices after 9pm from next month.

The technology curfew move reportedly aims to discourage children from spending an unhealthy amount of time on electronic devices Photo: Alamy

3:54AM GMT 24 Mar 2014

Officials in a Japanese city are launching an ambitious campaign to ban children from using smartphones and mobile devices after 9pm.

Around 13,000 schoolchildren, aged between six and 15, who are living in Kariya city, Aiichi prefecture, will be banned from using mobile technology in the evening from 1 April.

The technology curfew move reportedly aims to discourage children from spending an unhealthy amount of time on electronic devices such as smartphones as well as reduce on-line bullying via instant messaging apps.

The ban, which was initially proposed by a group of teachers, social workers and police, was not officially issued by city hall so parents will not face any penalties if their children do not comply, according to Japanese media reports.

However, the initiative is reportedly supported by Kariya's board of education as well as all 21 schools across the city, with parents being directly requested to remove smartphones after 9pm and monitor the websites they access.

The new initiative is being launched just weeks after the government released statistics reflecting the increasingly extensive use of smartphones among Japan's school population.

The figures, released by the Cabinet Office, found that schoolchildren aged between 10 and 17 were spending an average of 107.4 minutes a day on-line on their phones, with nearly 40 per cent spending more than two hours a day on-line.

There has been growing controversy in Japan surrounding the use of mobile phones by schoolchildren, with claims of bullying relating to the a number of popular messaging apps.

Among them is Line, a widely-used free instant messaging and image sharing app which has been linked with cases of bullying among children, prompting calls for it to be banned on school premises.

The potentially harmful impact of heavy mobile phone use among children is an increasingly important issue for teachers, parents and government officials around the world.

A growing number of schools are considering mobile phone bans for pupils, with one successful example in the UK being Burnage Media Arts College in south Manchester, which reported soaring academic results following such a ban.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...after-9pm.html

humans are weird
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    743 Post(s)

Just take it away.

Nothing else.
    You don't mess around lol.
    I beg my parents for money

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    253 Post(s)

My dad blocks off the wifi for my younger sibling at 10:00pm every day

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deen1984 View Post

Children in Japanese city banned from using smartphones after 9pm

Soaring mobile phone use and rising bullying rates have prompted one Japanese city to issue a nightly curfew on mobile devices after 9pm from next month.

The technology curfew move reportedly aims to discourage children from spending an unhealthy amount of time on electronic devices Photo: Alamy

3:54AM GMT 24 Mar 2014

Officials in a Japanese city are launching an ambitious campaign to ban children from using smartphones and mobile devices after 9pm.

Around 13,000 schoolchildren, aged between six and 15, who are living in Kariya city, Aiichi prefecture, will be banned from using mobile technology in the evening from 1 April.

The technology curfew move reportedly aims to discourage children from spending an unhealthy amount of time on electronic devices such as smartphones as well as reduce on-line bullying via instant messaging apps.

The ban, which was initially proposed by a group of teachers, social workers and police, was not officially issued by city hall so parents will not face any penalties if their children do not comply, according to Japanese media reports.

However, the initiative is reportedly supported by Kariya's board of education as well as all 21 schools across the city, with parents being directly requested to remove smartphones after 9pm and monitor the websites they access.

The new initiative is being launched just weeks after the government released statistics reflecting the increasingly extensive use of smartphones among Japan's school population.

The figures, released by the Cabinet Office, found that schoolchildren aged between 10 and 17 were spending an average of 107.4 minutes a day on-line on their phones, with nearly 40 per cent spending more than two hours a day on-line.

There has been growing controversy in Japan surrounding the use of mobile phones by schoolchildren, with claims of bullying relating to the a number of popular messaging apps.

Among them is Line, a widely-used free instant messaging and image sharing app which has been linked with cases of bullying among children, prompting calls for it to be banned on school premises.

The potentially harmful impact of heavy mobile phone use among children is an increasingly important issue for teachers, parents and government officials around the world.

A growing number of schools are considering mobile phone bans for pupils, with one successful example in the UK being Burnage Media Arts College in south Manchester, which reported soaring academic results following such a ban.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...after-9pm.html
    nice initiative by schools there

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pink123 View Post
    My dad blocks off the wifi for my younger sibling at 10:00pm every day