Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

Issues, complaints, grievances and/or suggestions regarding the Mods /How can we as U

Not sure what happened to the other thread, but I do think we need something like this here to keep us in check.

If you have issues, complaints, grievances and/or suggestions about the moderators and their work here then please mention it. Normally we ask members to go via the helpdesk, but I think some would feel more comfortable doing it here. Say what you'd like, as long as it's done in a proper way (no swearing and stuff like that). And if you are ranting about something, then please provide a solution to make things better so that everything wins.

Other than that, it's a safe space here. As long as you follow the rules, this thread shouldn't be deleted or locked.
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

.:.
    ...said the spider to the fly...

ایک بار پکار کے تو دیکھو .mirror.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

Re: Issues, complaints, grievances and/or suggestions regarding the Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
    The answer is obvious to anyone grounded in the basics of Islam. Plus it's a 'What Do You Prefer' question.
    Yeah, except not everyone is grounded in the basics of Islam. This forum isn't for practicing Muslims only. People from all walks of life come on here. It's just shortsighted to think that everyone is aware of the basics of Islam.

And FYI, many people make these "What Do You Prefer" thread because they do not want to tell the world "Hey, I know this sounds hypothetical, but this is actually regarding me." So, this policy of closing these types of thread is illogical, esp. if you don't know where the person is coming from.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    Yeah, except not everyone is grounded in the basics of Islam. This forum isn't for practicing Muslims only. People from all walks of life come on here. It's just shortsighted to think that everyone is aware of the basics of Islam...
    The correct approach then is to get grounded in the basics.

...And FYI, many people make these "What Do You Prefer" thread because they do not want to tell the world "Hey, I know this sounds hypothetical, but this is actually regarding me." So, this policy of closing these types of thread is illogical, esp. if you don't know where the person is coming from.
    1. If it's regarding 'me' then how does knowing what anonymous strangers prefer help?
    2. If you don't know where the person is coming from, how can you offer any beneficial advice?

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

The correct approach then is to get grounded in the basics.

1. If it's regarding 'me' then how does knowing what anonymous strangers prefer help?
    2. If you don't know where the person is coming from, how can you offer any beneficial advice?
    Correct approach according to who? Is this a new rule on the forum?
    I hope you are not saying people are not allowed to make threads on here until they are grounded in the basics, because that's an illogical suggestion.

1. Because other people could've been in the same situation and can offer insight. Also, this "anonymous strangers" argument is kind of weak because everyone here is anonymous, so we should just stop asking for any advice on the forum altogether, then.
    2. We can offer beneficial advise based on the information provided by the OP...of course, unless the thread gets closed.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

Quite frankly, I think you all need to go into your Mods' Corner and discuss this a bit more from the looks of it. Seems to me some have made up rules on their own and unfortunately decent threads are getting closed as a result.

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

Correct approach according to who? Is this a new rule on the forum?
    I hope you are not saying people are not allowed to make threads on here until they are grounded in the basics, because that's an illogical suggestion...
    According to everyone. Instead of hoping what I'm not saying, try to concentrate on what I am saying. It'll be a lot easier.

...1. Because other people could've been in the same situation and can offer insight. Also, this "anonymous strangers" argument is kind of weak because everyone here is anonymous, so we should just stop asking for any advice on the forum altogether, then...
    Good idea. Stop asking for personal advice where nobody knows you or your situation.

...2. We can offer beneficial advise based on the information provided by the OP...of course, unless the thread gets closed...
    The information is (usually) vague and we don't even know if it's accurate.

It's better to stick to general questions and advice, especially concerning marriage related topics.

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

Quite frankly, I think you all need to go into your Mods' Corner and discuss this a bit more from the looks of it. Seems to me some have made up rules on their own and unfortunately decent threads are getting closed as a result.
    lol @ decent threads

Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Quoted
    909 Post(s)

well, back to trading
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

Anyways, it's futile speaking to Abu Abdullah. No surprises there. Maybe, if other mods are a little more open-minded, this can actually go somewhere. @admin @.: Anna :. @moderators @-Yassar @Fais @.Hajar. @Pippin1376 @Abu 'Abdullaah @Jenicca @samin62 @علي @Meriadoc @Darul Ilm @device

Regardless, it's pathetic to close down threads because you think something is obvious or that people need to be grounded in basics (this new one was unheard of). And this policy of closing down hypothetical threads just because they are hypothetical defeats the purpose of having a discussion forum. Yes, by all means close threads that are clearly made in jest, but not all of these "Would you..." threads are meaningless and some can strike a good discussion.

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

Anyways, it's futile speaking to Abu Abdullah. No surprises there. Maybe, if other mods are a little more open-minded, this can actually go somewhere. @admin @.: Anna :. @moderators @-Yassar @Fais @.Hajar. @Pippin1376 @Abu 'Abdullaah @Jenicca @samin62 @علي @Meriadoc @Darul Ilm @device

Regardless, it's pathetic to close down threads because you think something is obvious or that people need to be grounded in basics (this new one was unheard of). And this policy of closing down hypothetical threads just because they are hypothetical defeats the purpose of having a discussion forum. Yes, by all means close threads that are clearly made in jest, but not all of these "Would you..." threads are meaningless and some can strike a good discussion.
    Stop mentioning me if you don't want to talk to me. You're worse than a gossiping aunty with the passive aggressiveness.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

Stop mentioning me if you don't want to talk to me. You're worse than a gossiping aunty with the passive aggressiveness.
    I just mentioned all mods, you happen to be one. Not sure why you're getting upset tho. And please, easy with the insults. If you can't take criticism as a mod and "lol" away people's posts, then it might not be a position for you.

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

I just mentioned all mods, you happen to be one. Not sure why you're getting upset tho. And please, easy with the insults. If you can't take criticism as a mod and "lol" away people's posts, then it might not be a position for you.
    I can take criticism... do you see me closing/deleting/banning anyone or anything against me? There's a thread made specifically to criticise me.

The problem is that you don't have good arguments so decided to throw a hissy fit.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

I can take criticism... do you see me closing/deleting/banning anyone or anything against me? There's a thread made specifically to criticise me.

The problem is that you don't have good arguments so decided to throw a hissy fit.
    No, but I do see you insulting people (me), which is probably worse, for pointing out your closing-spree.

And I don't see any "hissy fit" in my posts. You are closing way too many threads and i pointed that out. Seems like I am not the only one who thinks that, either. Time to revisit your rules, I think.

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

No, but I do see you insulting people (me), which is probably worse, for pointing out your closing-spree.

And I don't see any "hissy fit" in my posts. You are closing way too many threads and i pointed that out. Seems like I am not the only one who thinks that, either. Time to revisit your rules, I think.
    Why did you say I was getting upset? You see, anyone can throw in those passive aggressive tones but when it comes back to them, it really hits a nerve. See what I did there? -_-

You have a cheek to talk about insults. Talking about me as if I'm not here; @ 'ing me and then saying you don't want to talk to me not to mention all the sly jabs you've been using all along.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

Khayr, putting the above aside as it's not getting anywhere, the issues I see with the forum currently:

1) There is very little central authority or oversight by the admin on the mods. Admin(s) are rarely even here.
    2) There is a huge need for more defined guidelines on what is acceptable and not acceptable.
    3) Mods make up their own rules because of the lack of #2 above (some of these new rules are kind of unnecessary)
    2) Even mods aren't exactly aware of the rules it seems, based on a post I read earlier regarding giving a reason before closing a thread
    1) Just not a big diversity of mods and it ends up being 2 - 3 people running the show based on what they think is right

Mentioned
    648 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7988 Post(s)

Why did you say I was getting upset? You see, anyone can throw in those passive aggressive tones but when it comes back to them, it really hits a nerve. See what I did there? -_-

You have a cheek to talk about insults. Talking about me as if I'm not here; @ 'ing me and then saying you don't want to talk to me not to mention all the sly jabs you've been using all along.
    I like you A'A, and wouldn't insult you. But I also like mirror. You both cool.

Stop throwing hissy fits over threads being locked. This is a classic case of Hanafi vs Other. You both need a platform for a final showdown. Neither of you are bickering about worthless threads being closed; the underlying reason is of more consequence than a trifling matter as that.

Let's go Pakistanis it's 'showtime'

Mentioned
    648 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7988 Post(s)

I'm waiting for some overreacting Ummah member to come along and say,

"Brothers please stop fighting please I am crying my eyes out seeing you argue. Please stop fighting please. Please. You guys are bothers please stop fighting please... Please "

Ahahahah

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morose View Post
    ...Neither of you are bickering about worthless threads being closed; the underlying reason is of more consequence than a trifling matter as that...
    No doubt about that.

Mentioned
    648 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7988 Post(s)

No doubt about that.
    Shall I become mod A'A?

I could turn this forum around. The only issue is i don't really want to sell out, you know?

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

Shall I become mod A'A?

I could turn this forum around. The only issue is i don't really want to sell out, you know?
    We need you on the ground. You're too good to be bogged down with red tape.

Mentioned
    648 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7988 Post(s)

We need you on the ground. You're too good to be bogged down with red tape.
    Ah, a clever way of telling me I am not mod material Good work.

I need orders to follow. Give me a mission.

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

...I need orders to follow. Give me a mission.
    Refute at will.

Mentioned
    648 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7988 Post(s)

Refute at will.
    I do that any way ?:-(

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

I do that any way ?:-(
    :attaboy:

Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1713 Post(s)

Case in point: http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?489530

Reason Given by Abu Abdullah: "Nothing to discuss as the answer is obvious."

No, actually the answer is not obvious if you read the sister's threads and past replies. She obviously came here seeking advice for a real life situation she's going through. Not every Muslim out there prays or is practicing, I am sure you are aware of it. To close the thread because you think the answer is obvious is not a good enough reason.
    I agree with closing "what do you prefer" threads because they're usually where a lot of trouble starts, especially in the marriage section.

Even in the thread you're talking about, you can see it's the same exact story playing out all over again. The answer to the question is obvious (the same topic having been created so many times before as well), but you will get people who do not care and give bad advice/a bad answer. Now it's up to everyone else to come in and refute their very clearly bad answer, and because of how obviously bad it is, the answers will get more and more heated. All for the sake of the one sentence OP "what do you prefer" thread.

Many accounts are created for the sole purpose of spamming the forum with this type of question.
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

I disagree for multiple reasons.

1) If trouble starts, you take care of the trouble and those posts. Having a blanket rule to close these types of thread defeats the purpose of having a discussion on the forum and/or giving people a chance to ask their question in an anonymous way.

2) Answer to the question in that particular thread is not obvious at all. It'd only be obvious if we assume every Muslim on here is a practicing Muslim which is not the case. The OP in that thread comes from a cultural family where salaah isn't given high importance, so according to her, the answer clearly wouldn't be obvious. Countless Muslims marry people who do not pray and I think it's our duty to advice and inform anyone who comes on here to tell them not to and why. Locking a thread because you think the answer is obvious just makes it seem like every other Muslim thinks as you do.

3) I don't think this topic has been created so many times before. And even if it was, it doesn't devalue this particular poster's question. What I do see being discussed to death over and over again are fiqh issues, esp. those that have been established centuries ago by scholars. Surprisingly, those threads do not get locked and go on for 5+ pages.

4) In a general sense, threads shouldn't be closed because people give bad answers/advice. Maybe, the person giving the bad advice also needs to be educated and informed.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1144 Post(s)

1) If trouble starts, you take care of the trouble and those posts. Having a blanket rule to close these types of thread defeats the purpose of having a discussion on the forum and/or giving people a chance to ask their question in an anonymous way.

2) Answer to the question in that particular thread is not obvious at all. It'd only be obvious if we assume every Muslim on here is a practicing Muslim which is not the case. The OP in that thread comes from a cultural family where salaah isn't given high importance, so according to her, the answer clearly wouldn't be obvious. Countless Muslims marry people who do not pray and I think it's our duty to advice and inform anyone who comes on here to tell them not to and why. Locking a thread because you think the answer is obvious just makes it seem like every other Muslim thinks as you do.

3) I don't think this topic has been created so many times before. And even if it was, it doesn't devalue this particular poster's question. What I do see being discussed to death over and over again are fiqh issues, esp. those that have been established centuries ago by scholars. Surprisingly, those threads do not get locked and go on for 5+ pages.

4) In a general sense, threads shouldn't be closed because people give bad answers/advice. Maybe, the person giving the bad advice also needs to be educated and informed.

Good points, especially #3. I hope a reasonable mod will take the time to seriously consider your opinions.

Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1713 Post(s)

I disagree with that because questions can be asked such that better discussion is facilitated, but these types of threads are not conducive to the OP getting actual help. One sentence fired off, "Ladies and gentlemen! Begin!" And then we have to come in when things turn sour.

It's not just that bad advice is going to be given (that's just insult over injury though), I'm explaining why such threads are a bad idea. So the OP got my preference. Now what? It's not even advice, for you to think it pertains to a personal situation is purely assumption. And if my preference is going to be seen as advice, then it's worth noting that everyone has preferences, and we can't do anything about that. Some preferences are bad too, but they're going to pass as advice, and it's not always a fixable situation via this forum (i.e. I have a bad preference and my life is already set up with it, too late).

Put simply, there are better ways to get that information, this is not typically a productive way.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
    I hope a reasonable mod will take the time to seriously consider your opinions.
    Dang, I bothered typing the above before having read this
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

We can't expect everyone to type out a very intelligently written question. The nature of internet is that people write in shorthand and small sentences. If threads are gauged based on how the OP is worded or how many sentences are used, then I think that's a very poor way to judge. There are countless thread on this forum which start off with one or two lines and they certainly do facilitate a good discussion.
    It's not just that bad advice is going to be given (that's just insult over injury though), I'm explaining why such threads are a bad idea. So the OP got my preference. Now what? It's not even advice, for you to think it pertains to a personal situation is purely assumption. And if my preference is going to be seen as advice, then it's worth noting that everyone has preferences, and we can't do anything about that. Some preferences are bad too, but they're going to pass as advice, and it's not always a fixable situation via this forum (i.e. I have a bad preference and my life is already set up with it, too late).
    Well, we can say the same thing for pretty much anything then. For example, I ask a question and bunch of people reply. Now what? I mean, I am not sure what exactly are you expecting to happen now? Is there something supposed to happen to make the thread worthwhile?

Also, so what if people are giving their preference? What do you prefer - Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla? Well, my preference is Honda Civic because x, y, and z, so you should buy the Civic. Take it as a preference or advice, but I don't see what's so inherently wrong in that.

Again, the point is, making a blanket rule for these types of threads is just not healthy, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)

Can mods start terminating Trolls, dubious characters from the for and deleting useless threads
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

1) If trouble starts, you take care of the trouble and those posts. Having a blanket rule to close these types of thread defeats the purpose of having a discussion on the forum and/or giving people a chance to ask their question in an anonymous way...
    Fiqh? Now we're talking.

Please post anything about approaching anonymous people, whilst remaining anonymous yourself, and asking them for advice, rulings, and guidance, especially on personal matters related to marriage. Show where the scholars have encouraged women to ask random people, many of whom are men, about anything at all. Since this issue is established, you should have no problem at all in sharing what the scholars have said.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

Fiqh? Now we're talking.
    No, actually we are not.

You seem to have totally misunderstood my mentioning of the word fiqh in that post.

Mentioned
    1118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16454 Post(s)

So why on Earth has the quick questions thread been locked?
    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

No, actually we are not.

You seem to have totally misunderstood my mentioning of the word fiqh in that post.
    I understood it quite well I think.

The thing matters here is what scholars have said about seeking knowledge and advice from 'unknown' people, which is up to you to provide since you are encouraging this method. Then narrow it down to women asking unknown people. Then narrow it further to women asking unknown people about their own marriage related 'issues'.

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
    So why on Earth has the quick questions thread been locked?
    It says it right there:
    Can't think of a good reason to keep this thread open, and nor can anyone else.

Mentioned
    1118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16454 Post(s)

It says it right there:
    Yeah I am definitely starting to see the issues people have with your thread closing.

One of the most useful threads on the forum which went over sixty pages with no mod closing it, you decide to close it to satisfy your 'mod trolling' urges.
    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

Yeah I am definitely starting to see the issues people have with your thread closing.

One of the most useful threads on the forum which went over sixty pages with no mod closing it, you decide to close it to satisfy your 'mod trolling' urges.
    Why didn't you post a good reason to keep the thread open before it was closed?

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

I understood it quite well I think.

The thing matters here is what scholars have said about seeking knowledge and advice from 'unknown' people, which is up to you to provide since you are encouraging this method. Then narrow it down to women asking unknown people. Then narrow it further to women asking unknown people about their own marriage related 'issues'.
    Doesn't look like you understood it at all, actually. This thread is about grievances regarding mods, not about fiqh of asking questions.

And since you obviously misunderstood my post, let me clarify it for you: The reason I mentioned "fiqh" was to show the types of thread which are repeated on here (as I was discussing this with Ali).

So, yeah, nobody is discussing fiqh here, bro. Sorry, you got all excited there.

Mentioned
    1118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16454 Post(s)

Why didn't you post a good reason to keep the thread open before it was closed?
    Why do you want reasons for threads to remain open?

You are supposed to close threads which break forum rules. The thread wasn't breaking any and it was very peaceful.

Maybe we need to ask ourselves a better question, namely,

Any good reason for you to remain a mod?

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

Doesn't look like you understood it at all, actually. This thread is about grievances regarding mods, not about fiqh of asking questions.

And since you obviously misunderstood my post, let me clarify it for you: The reason I mentioned "fiqh" was to show the types of thread which are repeated on here (as I was discussing this with Ali).

So, yeah, nobody is discussing fiqh here, bro. Sorry, you got all excited there.
    My decisions are based on my understanding of what I should do as a HANAFI. It's fiqh. More specifically, the approach to fiqh. You're encouraging a method where advice and guidance can be sought from unknown people. Did you read that in a text or hear it in a lecture? It's not something I've come across in the HANAFI madhab.

SUFI HANAFI
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8563 Post(s)

Why do you want reasons for threads to remain open?

You are supposed to close threads which break forum rules. The thread wasn't breaking any and it was very peaceful...
    I didn't feel it was right. The benefits of that thread outweighed the (potential) harm.

...Maybe we need to ask ourselves a better question, namely,

Any good reason for you to remain a mod?
    There's already a thread on that. Join the queue.