Ads by Muslim Ad Network


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 52
  1. #1
    Odan lonelyniqabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,436
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1140 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    107

    What does "practicing" mean to you?

    :

    We always heard brothers and sisters here saying they want to find a practicing husband/wife, but what does that actually mean to you? Is it;

    A) Someone who does the minimum fardh (5x salah, fast ramadhan, zakat, hijab, etc) but maybe lax in avoiding minor sins (free-mixing, movies, music, etc)

    B) Someone who does fardh and nawafil, and avoid minor sins.

    C) All of B + is a student of knowledge or a scholar or a hafidh/hafidha.

    D) Others (please specify)



    Bonus Q : Would you consider someone who intends to practice to be the same as one who's already practicing?




    Disclaimer: this is not a "what would you prefer" thread. -_-

  2. #2
    Wanderer Stoic Believer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    9,906
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8543 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    403

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?



    Someone who has taqwa, fulfills the fardh, and is doing their best to follow the deen. They have a clear passion for Islam and use it as their measure for what is right and wrong.

    As for your bonus question, I would not marry such a person.

  3. #3
    ⚔♔ Warrior ♔⚔ -qed-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    3,389
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2616 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    496

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    I would consider someone to be practicing if they do all the faradh and mostly do sunnah and mark acts and also mostly do not actively do minor sins.

    Also a big one for me is they do not eat HARAM food. I.e they actively check their food is halal.

    I would not consider someone who is trying to be practicing the same as they're not the same. But in terms of marriage I would consider a potential if they did the faradh, showed strong faith and were trying to do more.

    First question from me be like: soo what is your favourite McDonald's meal..
    Ya Rab! When you give me wealth, do not take away my happiness. When you give me strength, do not take away my intelligence. When you give me victory, do not take away my humility. When you give me humility, do not take away my dignity.

  4. #4
    your bro, I am ;) Deeni Akh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    9,471
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    932

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?



    B.

  5. #5
    Odan Creamcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    14,720
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6255 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    538

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Wa Alaykumussalam, I wouldn't marry someone who is not yet practising, but intends to do so. Especially if by not practising you mean like not following the Fardth, but then when do they start to intend doing so.. after marriage? If they were serious about it, they should start right this present moment.. nothing should change that dramatically in that respect, after marriage. They're doing it for Allah s.w.t, not for us.. Also imagine taking that risk and they don't start praying or don't truly change from within.. you're stuck, and your kids too.. The only exception to this is if they are a revert and have already reverted, and are learning currently how to pray and follow the pillars of Islam, imo that is entirely different, because they are starting to practice, and didn't before as they literally weren't Muslim.. so it's not like a born muslim neglecting Muslim.

    In regards to the bulk of the question, I wouldn't want to consider A, as they listen to music, watch films, free mixing etc, all of which are big no no's. I would consider B, C and D. I would love to marry someone that is C, because being a student of knowledge, they will know more than me, and can teach me and our kids too, Insha ' Allah. I would prefer a student of knowledge or alim over a hafidth, if the person was just exclusively one, of course they may be both. Also, that's not a requirement for me, as I am not a student of knowledge or an aalima. Also, as long as they do the Fardth, and stay away from major and minor sins, I am happy. Someone who tries their best to follow the deen, and has taqwa in all elements of their life. Knowing that which is haram and halal as well as makrooh, and not only being interested in and following Islam to the best of their ability, but also striving to learn more.

    So as well as the 5 pillars, they don't listen to music, free mix or watch movies. That they have a beard, don't think it's okay to take out a university loan (if they've done this themselves, I don't know whether I'd hold it against them or not though.. because people don't realise at the time sometimes), and ensuring they have a halal job, because there's jobs like bank ones and taxi driving ones and others, that I don't think are okay.. Also not wanting to take out a mortgage, things like not going to restaurants because they also serve alcohol (as a lot of halal restaurants here do that too) etc. Hopefully helping me to wear Niqaab too.. I wouldn't be doing this for the sake of them, it's something I've been thinking about for a while, but right now it's tough for me to do this, and there's stuff I want to change about myself before I start doing this (before marriage of course). Also someone who tries their best to follow the sunnahs in life, as well as the fardths. Also zero talking to the opposite gender except in necessity, like say we're at the supermarket and there's a female at the counter, and she says Hi to him, he better be lowering his gaze and not reply lol, let me reply instead.. is that taking things extreme, I don't know, but there you go
    Last edited by Creamcake; 21-03-17 at 06:07 AM.
    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
    [al-An’aam 6:59]

  6. #6
    Odan lonelyniqabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,436
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1140 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoic Believer View Post


    Someone who has taqwa, fulfills the fardh, and is doing their best to follow the deen. They have a clear passion for Islam and use it as their measure for what is right and wrong.

    As for your bonus question, I would not marry such a person.

    How do you know if she has taqwa?

  7. #7
    Odan lonelyniqabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,436
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1140 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deeni Akh View Post


    B.

    Why not C?

  8. #8
    Odan
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
    :

    We always heard brothers and sisters here saying they want to find a practicing husband/wife, but what does that actually mean to you? Is it;

    A) Someone who does the minimum fardh (5x salah, fast ramadhan, zakat, hijab, etc) but maybe lax in avoiding minor sins (free-mixing, movies, music, etc)

    B) Someone who does fardh and nawafil, and avoid minor sins.

    C) All of B + is a student of knowledge or a scholar or a hafidh/hafidha.

    D) Others (please specify)



    Bonus Q : Would you consider someone who intends to practice to be the same as one who's already practicing?




    Disclaimer: this is not a "what would you prefer" thread. -_-
    A + B, abstains from major sin as well.

  9. #9
    Wanderer Stoic Believer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    9,906
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8543 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    403

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
    How do you know if she has taqwa?
    Her actions are an indication.

  10. #10
    Odan lonelyniqabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,436
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1140 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by -qed- View Post
    I would consider someone to be practicing if they do all the faradh and mostly do sunnah and mark acts and also mostly do not actively do minor sins.

    Also a big one for me is they do not eat HARAM food. I.e they actively check their food is halal.

    I would not consider someone who is trying to be practicing the same as they're not the same. But in terms of marriage I would consider a potential if they did the faradh, showed strong faith and were trying to do more.

    First question from me be like: soo what is your favourite McDonald's meal..
    lol I was confused at first, but then I got it. You're trying to find out if they eat haram food, yes? That wouldn't work for me because McD here is halal. But that's a good point.

  11. #11
    Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    3,743
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1194 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    269

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Someone who prays and is mindful of avoiding sins and all that is haraam, especially someone who has a genuine concern and passion for Allah Ta'aalaa and Islam.

    Being okay with free-mixing, music, watching (most) movies would mean to me they aren't "practicing" (ie. practicing how I'd like to see them or myself), though they are of course practicing but engaged in a few serious sins.

    (Question not addressed to me I know, but C would be 'very strongly practicing' or a similar description.)
    Last edited by Fakhri; 21-03-17 at 06:31 AM.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

  12. #12
    Tawakkul... iRepIslam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    22,611
    Mentioned
    791 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6046 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    1262

    What does "practicing" mean to you?

    B & c

    وعليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته
    إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

  13. #13
    Odan lonelyniqabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,436
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1140 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Creamcake View Post
    Wa Alaykumussalam, I wouldn't marry someone who is not yet practising, but intends to do so. Especially if by not practising you mean like not following the Fardth, but then when do they start to intend doing so.. after marriage? If they were serious about it, they should start right this present moment.. nothing should change that dramatically in that respect, after marriage. They're doing it for Allah s.w.t, not for us.. Also imagine taking that risk and they don't start praying or don't truly change from within.. you're stuck, and your kids too.. The only exception to this is if they are a revert and have already reverted, and are learning currently how to pray and follow the pillars of Islam, imo that is entirely different, because they are starting to practice, and didn't before as they literally weren't Muslim.. so it's not like a born muslim neglecting Muslim.

    In regards to the bulk of the question, I wouldn't want to consider A, as they listen to music, watch films, free mixing etc, all of which are big no no's. I would consider B, C and D. I would love to marry someone that is C, because being a student of knowledge, they will know more than me, and can teach me and our kids too, Insha ' Allah. I would prefer a student of knowledge or alim over a hafidth, if the person was just exclusively one, of course they may be both. Also, that's not a requirement for me, as I am not a student of knowledge or an aalima. Also, as long as they do the Fardth, and stay away from major and minor sins, I am happy. Someone who tries their best to follow the deen, and has taqwa in all elements of their life. Knowing that which is haram and halal as well as makrooh, and not only being interested in and following Islam to the best of their ability, but also striving to learn more.

    So as well as the 5 pillars, they don't listen to music, free mix or watch movies. That they have a beard, don't think it's okay to take out a university loan (if they've done this themselves, I don't know whether I'd hold it against them or not though.. because people don't realise at the time sometimes), and ensuring they have a halal job, because there's jobs like bank ones and taxi driving ones and others, that I don't think are okay.. Also not wanting to take out a mortgage, things like not going to restaurants because they also serve alcohol (as a lot of halal restaurants here do that too) etc. Hopefully helping me to wear Niqaab too.. I wouldn't be doing this for the sake of them, it's something I've been thinking about for a while, but right now it's tough for me to do this, and there's stuff I want to change about myself before I start doing this (before marriage of course). Also someone who tries their best to follow the sunnahs in life, as well as the fardths. Also zero talking to the opposite gender except in necessity, like say we're at the supermarket and there's a female at the counter, and she says Hi to him, he better be lowering his gaze and not reply lol, let me reply instead.. is that taking things extreme, I don't know, but there you go

    A+ answer. 100 marks.

    Regarding minor sins, do you think it's easy to find someone who completely avoid movies and music these days? Also, obviously none of us can be completely free of minor sins, so which ones would be a deal-breaker to you, and which ones would you overlook?

    ^ Question for all.


    Btw, did this thread got moved?

  14. #14
    Hibernating Spicen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    7,134
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4981 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    98

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fakhri View Post
    Someone who prays and is mindful of avoiding sins and all that is haraam, especially someone who has a genuine concern and passion for Allah Ta'aalaa and Islam.

    Being okay with free-mixing, music, watching (most) movies would mean to me they aren't "practicing" (ie. practicing how I'd like to see them or myself), though they are of course practicing but engaged in a few serious sins.

    (Question not addressed to me I know, but C would be 'very strongly practicing' or a similar description.)
    This.

    But i would also add that one other criteria is that practicing muslims MUST have a strong sense of 'identity" and love towards Islam.
    Keep calm and don't hate the crescent.

  15. #15
    Wanderer Stoic Believer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    9,906
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8543 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    403

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
    A+ answer. 100 marks.

    Regarding minor sins, do you think it's easy to find someone who completely avoid movies and music these days? Also, obviously none of us can be completely free of minor sins, so which ones would be a deal-breaker to you, and which ones would you overlook?

    ^ Question for all.


    Btw, did this thread got moved?
    Completely avoids? It's possible, but I think you'll be looking for a long time.

  16. #16
    Odan lonelyniqabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,436
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1140 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by arfatzafar View Post
    A + B, abstains from major sin as well.

    Good point. I didn't address major sins in my OP, because in my mind those who do that won't be considered practicing at all.

  17. #17
    Odan lonelyniqabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,436
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1140 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicen View Post
    This.

    But i would also add that one other criteria is that practicing muslims MUST have a strong sense of 'identity" and love towards Islam.

    What does it mean to have a strong sense of identity?

  18. #18
    your bro, I am ;) Deeni Akh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    9,471
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    932

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
    Why not C?
    B is the minimum, C is bonus.

  19. #19
    Hibernating Spicen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    7,134
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4981 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    98

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
    What does it mean to have a strong sense of identity?
    Do you want a short version or a long version answer?
    Keep calm and don't hate the crescent.

  20. #20
    Odan lonelyniqabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,436
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1140 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicen View Post
    Do you want a short version or a long version answer?

    Medium length.

  21. #21
    Odan
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by iRepIslam View Post
    B & c

    وعليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته
    Being scholar has nothing to do with being a practicing one, however,essential knowledge which enables to distinguish haram and halal is obligatory on all Muslims.

    Moreover, more knowledgeable you're, more practicing you must be.

    Taqwa isn't confined in knowledge rather in following kitab and sunnah obediently.

  22. #22
    Kintsukuroi RaNdOm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    18,696
    Mentioned
    1078 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9312 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    967

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    The criteria you listed shows outward actions but I know plenty of people who do that and more but have the hardest hearts and are cruel to their wives.

    ********* Sincerity *********

    This is literally what melts me.

    Quantifying deeds doesn't represent quality of the actions.

    And just because someone studied at an Islamic university does not mean they love their Lord even though it was really heartbreaking for me to hear the stories because with that level of commitment you would hope they are the best amongst us.
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

  23. #23
    Odan
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicen View Post
    This.

    But i would also add that one other criteria is that practicing muslims MUST have a strong sense of 'identity" and love towards Islam.
    It differs in level of Taqwa

  24. #24
    Hibernating Spicen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    7,134
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4981 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    98

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
    Medium length.


    Well first a little bit of background. I believe one of the biggest reasons behind muslims leaving Islam is the adoption of western culture and morals. The adoption of western culture however is a direct result of a loss of identity of muslims following colonial rule. Muslims instead chose different identities including nationalistic identities, globalist identities such as ideas like "we are all humans." Muslims no longer feel a sense of 'belonging' to Islam and hence identify themselves with other groups such as humanists, secularists, etc. Most young muslims know Taylor Swift or some other actress from hollywood and they can tell you A-Z about them. But ask them about Islamic history or famous muslims in the past, you will only hear silence. And there's something extremely wrong with that.

    Fact is Islam has been sidelined as a religion of following a few rituals. However, Islam is far more than that. Islam has an important role to play in society and in politics. Islamic history is one of the most successful among all civilizations, we should be proud of it but we are not.

    A good muslim should not only restrict islam to a few rituals but also be aware of the fact that he is a part of a religion and a major civilization that's 1,400 years old. It's a civilization that gave the world many things- it was muslims who kept science alive while europe slept, a law system (Shariah Law), guaranteed rights for women at a time when there was no pressure to do so, oversaw the most tolerant society at the time among many other things. This is the civilization that own ancestors built with their own blood, sweat and hands. Instead, of putting our loyalty towards Islam, muslims are putting their loyalty towards secularism and liberalism as if those are the only things that can bring progress.

    Hence, a good, practising muslim must feel a sense of belonging and loyalty to islam and other muslims.
    Keep calm and don't hate the crescent.

  25. #25
    ⚔♔ Warrior ♔⚔ -qed-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    3,389
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2616 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    496

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    I think it's also important to take into account that certain unislamic habits are much harder to break. Music is a great example because a lot of people consider it minor but people who do listen very rarely give it up from my experience. I also don't know many people who don't listen to music anymore which is very sad
    Ya Rab! When you give me wealth, do not take away my happiness. When you give me strength, do not take away my intelligence. When you give me victory, do not take away my humility. When you give me humility, do not take away my dignity.

  26. #26
    Wanderer Stoic Believer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    9,906
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8543 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by -qed- View Post
    I think it's also important to take into account that certain unislamic habits are much harder to break. Music is a great example because a lot of people consider it minor but people who do listen very rarely give it up from my experience. I also don't know many people who don't listen to music anymore which is very sad
    Quite true, about music.

  27. #27
    Hibernating Spicen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    7,134
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4981 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    98

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by arfatzafar View Post
    It differs in level of Taqwa
    Doesn't have anything to do with taqwa.
    Keep calm and don't hate the crescent.

  28. #28
    Odan
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    16,646
    Mentioned
    476 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6191 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    1176

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    RE option b, did you major sins? Because avoiding minor sins is probably impossible aha? How many sins we commit in the day. Allah have mercy. Ameen.

  29. #29
    tranquillity, patient believer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    7,622
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2483 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    463

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    It's very interesting to read everyone's answers.I particulary like Randoms.Hidden diamonds are hard to find.
    Ya Allah,
    Make me a stronger person today. Make me a better person out of all these. It is no longer bearable for me for my heart is aching and You are the only One who knows how I feel. Nothing is making sense to myself and for anyone else for that matter especially to the one person I wish to understand me better than anybody else.
    "Don't use the sharpness of your tongue on the mother who taught you how to speak

  30. #30
    Odan m7md's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    2,112
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    947 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
    :

    We always heard brothers and sisters here saying they want to find a practicing husband/wife, but what does that actually mean to you? Is it;

    A) Someone who does the minimum fardh (5x salah, fast ramadhan, zakat, hijab, etc) but maybe lax in avoiding minor sins (free-mixing, movies, music, etc)

    B) Someone who does fardh and nawafil, and avoid minor sins.

    C) All of B + is a student of knowledge or a scholar or a hafidh/hafidha.

    D) Others (please specify)



    Bonus Q : Would you consider someone who intends to practice to be the same as one who's already practicing?




    Disclaimer: this is not a "what would you prefer" thread. -_-
    There r 2 cores of practicing without which the person cannot be practicing.

    1. Fard
    2. Refraining from whats haram/sins and that which is not allowed.

    All the rest r add ons, anyone with all the add ons without the core isnt really practicing,
    and u can add one more (not having pride, or looking down on others coz of ones acts of following Islam)

  31. #31
    Umm Kulthum Rumaysah~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    4,054
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3096 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    295

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Someone can be a mix of all three or change depending on their imaan. Also sinning has nothing to do with being practising as long as the person is repenting and knows it's wrong., whether they fall into major or minor sins. When it's continues and they make excuses for it, that's when that person can't be called practising in my opinion.

    However I would say B and C.

    Someone who isn't practising but only intends to is not the same as someone who is already practising.
    “How amazing is it that a seeker of knowledge leaves his home in order to recite and memorise the Qur’ān. It is as if his tongue is saying: ‘O my Lord, bear witness! I want to carry the Qur’ān in my chest, thereby seeking Your Face, and desiring that which is with You!’”
    Sh. Muhammad al-Mukhtār al-Shinqītī

  32. #32
    Odan lonelyniqabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,436
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1140 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by RaNdOm View Post
    The criteria you listed shows outward actions but I know plenty of people who do that and more but have the hardest hearts and are cruel to their wives.

    ********* Sincerity *********

    This is literally what melts me.

    Quantifying deeds doesn't represent quality of the actions.

    And just because someone studied at an Islamic university does not mean they love their Lord even though it was really heartbreaking for me to hear the stories because with that level of commitment you would hope they are the best amongst us.

    How do you judge / measure a person's sincerity?

  33. #33
    Odan lonelyniqabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,436
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1140 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morose View Post
    RE option b, did you major sins? Because avoiding minor sins is probably impossible aha? How many sins we commit in the day. Allah have mercy. Ameen.

    No, I meant minor sins, but I should've worded it as "trying their best to avoid minor sins", because you're right, no one can totally avoid minor sins.

  34. #34
    Odan
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicen View Post
    Doesn't have anything to do with taqwa.
    O.k . Then what do you mean to strong identity?

  35. #35
    Hibernating Spicen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    7,134
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4981 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    98

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by arfatzafar View Post
    O.k . Then what do you mean to strong identity?
    post 24
    Keep calm and don't hate the crescent.

  36. #36
    Gender: Male oshirowanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Girl Unspecified
    Posts
    3,798
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
    :

    We always heard brothers and sisters here saying they want to find a practicing husband/wife, but what does that actually mean to you? Is it;

    A) Someone who does the minimum fardh (5x salah, fast ramadhan, zakat, hijab, etc) but maybe lax in avoiding minor sins (free-mixing, movies, music, etc)

    B) Someone who does fardh and nawafil, and avoid minor sins.

    C) All of B + is a student of knowledge or a scholar or a hafidh/hafidha.

    D) Others (please specify)



    Bonus Q : Would you consider someone who intends to practice to be the same as one who's already practicing?




    Disclaimer: this is not a "what would you prefer" thread. -_-
    C) + avoid major sins.

  37. #37
    We hear and we obey shay5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    7,895
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3529 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by -qed- View Post
    I would consider someone to be practicing if they do all the faradh and mostly do sunnah and mark acts and also mostly do not actively do minor sins.

    Also a big one for me is they do not eat HARAM food. I.e they actively check their food is halal.

    I would not consider someone who is trying to be practicing the same as they're not the same. But in terms of marriage I would consider a potential if they did the faradh, showed strong faith and were trying to do more.

    First question from me be like: soo what is your favourite McDonald's meal
    ..
    but in Dubai its halal so they could technically answer that question
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you

  38. #38
    Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    3,743
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1194 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    269

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoic Believer View Post
    Quite true, about music.
    Hmmm.... I'm surprised to hear that, tbh. I know quite a few people who were quite into music but now don't listen to it at all. One of them isn't particularly practicing either, just with age he stopped listening. They don't have time for music, or if in their cars they just leave the radio (news/chat) turned on. (I wouldn't advise that either, tbh, but Alhamdulillah. It's not music.)

    Maybe it's with a certain age group it's an issue.(?).
    Last edited by Fakhri; 21-03-17 at 05:18 PM.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

  39. #39
    Wanderer Stoic Believer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    9,906
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8543 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakhri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoic Believer View Post
    Quite true, about music.
    Hmmm.... I'm surprised to hear that, tbh. I know quite a few people who were quite into music but now don't listen to it at l. One of them isn't particularly practicing either, just with age he stopped listening. They don't have time for music, or if in their cars they just leave the radio (news/chat) turned on. (I wouldn't advise that either, tbh, but Alhamdulillah. It's not music.)

    Maybe it's with a certain age group it's an issue.(?).
    Yeah probably it's more an issue with young people.

  40. #40
    Odan
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,399
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    652 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    97

    Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

    Salam alekum wa rahmatullah wa barakeetuh,
    One, to who Islam is way of life, not just a name. He is implementing it as much as possible in his daily life. Whose role models are Prophet Muhammad SAW and Sahabah Ra. Whose main concern is his Akherah.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.2.7 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com

MPADC.com Islamic Web Hosting | Muslim Ad Network | Islamic Nasheeds | Islamic Mobile App Developement Android & iPhone | Islamic Web Hosting : Muslim Designers : Labbayk Nasheeds : silk route jilbab: Hijab: : Web Islamic Newsletter: Islamic Web Hosting

Students of Arabic Forum | Hijab Shop