Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    868 Post(s)

What does "practicing" mean to you?

:

We always heard brothers and sisters here saying they want to find a practicing husband/wife, but what does that actually mean to you? Is it;

A) Someone who does the minimum fardh (5x salah, fast ramadhan, zakat, hijab, etc) but maybe lax in avoiding minor sins (free-mixing, movies, music, etc)

B) Someone who does fardh and nawafil, and avoid minor sins.

C) All of B + is a student of knowledge or a scholar or a hafidh/hafidha.

D) Others (please specify)

Bonus Q : Would you consider someone who intends to practice to be the same as one who's already practicing?

Disclaimer: this is not a "what would you prefer" thread. -_-

Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7559 Post(s)

Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

Someone who has taqwa, fulfills the fardh, and is doing their best to follow the deen. They have a clear passion for Islam and use it as their measure for what is right and wrong.

As for your bonus question, I would not marry such a person.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1917 Post(s)

I would consider someone to be practicing if they do all the faradh and mostly do sunnah and mark acts and also mostly do not actively do minor sins.

Also a big one for me is they do not eat HARAM food. I.e they actively check their food is halal.

I would not consider someone who is trying to be practicing the same as they're not the same. But in terms of marriage I would consider a potential if they did the faradh, showed strong faith and were trying to do more.

First question from me be like: soo what is your favourite McDonald's meal..
    Ya Rab! When you give me wealth, do not take away my happiness. When you give me strength, do not take away my intelligence. When you give me victory, do not take away my humility. When you give me humility, do not take away my dignity.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6320 Post(s)

B.

Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5186 Post(s)

Wa Alaykumussalam, I wouldn't marry someone who is not yet practising, but intends to do so. Especially if by not practising you mean like not following the Fardth, but then when do they start to intend doing so.. after marriage? If they were serious about it, they should start right this present moment.. nothing should change that dramatically in that respect, after marriage. They're doing it for Allah s.w.t, not for us.. Also imagine taking that risk and they don't start praying or don't truly change from within.. you're stuck, and your kids too.. The only exception to this is if they are a revert and have already reverted, and are learning currently how to pray and follow the pillars of Islam, imo that is entirely different, because they are starting to practice, and didn't before as they literally weren't Muslim.. so it's not like a born muslim neglecting Muslim.

In regards to the bulk of the question, I wouldn't want to consider A, as they listen to music, watch films, free mixing etc, all of which are big no no's. I would consider B, C and D. I would love to marry someone that is C, because being a student of knowledge, they will know more than me, and can teach me and our kids too, Insha ' Allah. I would prefer a student of knowledge or alim over a hafidth, if the person was just exclusively one, of course they may be both. Also, that's not a requirement for me, as I am not a student of knowledge or an aalima. Also, as long as they do the Fardth, and stay away from major and minor sins, I am happy. Someone who tries their best to follow the deen, and has taqwa in all elements of their life. Knowing that which is haram and halal as well as makrooh, and not only being interested in and following Islam to the best of their ability, but also striving to learn more.

So as well as the 5 pillars, they don't listen to music, free mix or watch movies. That they have a beard, don't think it's okay to take out a university loan (if they've done this themselves, I don't know whether I'd hold it against them or not though.. because people don't realise at the time sometimes), and ensuring they have a halal job, because there's jobs like bank ones and taxi driving ones and others, that I don't think are okay.. Also not wanting to take out a mortgage, things like not going to restaurants because they also serve alcohol (as a lot of halal restaurants here do that too) etc. Hopefully helping me to wear Niqaab too.. I wouldn't be doing this for the sake of them, it's something I've been thinking about for a while, but right now it's tough for me to do this, and there's stuff I want to change about myself before I start doing this (before marriage of course). Also someone who tries their best to follow the sunnahs in life, as well as the fardths. Also zero talking to the opposite gender except in necessity, like say we're at the supermarket and there's a female at the counter, and she says Hi to him, he better be lowering his gaze and not reply lol, let me reply instead.. is that taking things extreme, I don't know, but there you go
    Last edited by Creamcake; 21-03-17 at 06:07 AM.
    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
    [al-An’aam 6:59]

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    868 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoic Believer View Post

Someone who has taqwa, fulfills the fardh, and is doing their best to follow the deen. They have a clear passion for Islam and use it as their measure for what is right and wrong.

As for your bonus question, I would not marry such a person.

How do you know if she has taqwa?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    868 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deeni Akh View Post

B.

Why not C?

Odan
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
    :

We always heard brothers and sisters here saying they want to find a practicing husband/wife, but what does that actually mean to you? Is it;

A) Someone who does the minimum fardh (5x salah, fast ramadhan, zakat, hijab, etc) but maybe lax in avoiding minor sins (free-mixing, movies, music, etc)

Bonus Q : Would you consider someone who intends to practice to be the same as one who's already practicing?

A + B, abstains from major sin as well.

Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7559 Post(s)

How do you know if she has taqwa?
    Her actions are an indication.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    868 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -qed- View Post
    I would consider someone to be practicing if they do all the faradh and mostly do sunnah and mark acts and also mostly do not actively do minor sins.

Also a big one for me is they do not eat HARAM food. I.e they actively check their food is halal.

I would not consider someone who is trying to be practicing the same as they're not the same. But in terms of marriage I would consider a potential if they did the faradh, showed strong faith and were trying to do more.

First question from me be like: soo what is your favourite McDonald's meal..
    lol I was confused at first, but then I got it. You're trying to find out if they eat haram food, yes? That wouldn't work for me because McD here is halal. But that's a good point.

Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    992 Post(s)

Someone who prays and is mindful of avoiding sins and all that is haraam, especially someone who has a genuine concern and passion for Allah Ta'aalaa and Islam.

Being okay with free-mixing, music, watching (most) movies would mean to me they aren't "practicing" (ie. practicing how I'd like to see them or myself), though they are of course practicing but engaged in a few serious sins.

(Question not addressed to me I know, but C would be 'very strongly practicing' or a similar description.)
    Last edited by Fakhri; 21-03-17 at 06:31 AM.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Mentioned
    768 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5795 Post(s)

What does "practicing" mean to you?

B & c

وعليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته
    إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    868 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Creamcake View Post
    Wa Alaykumussalam, I wouldn't marry someone who is not yet practising, but intends to do so. Especially if by not practising you mean like not following the Fardth, but then when do they start to intend doing so.. after marriage? If they were serious about it, they should start right this present moment.. nothing should change that dramatically in that respect, after marriage. They're doing it for Allah s.w.t, not for us.. Also imagine taking that risk and they don't start praying or don't truly change from within.. you're stuck, and your kids too.. The only exception to this is if they are a revert and have already reverted, and are learning currently how to pray and follow the pillars of Islam, imo that is entirely different, because they are starting to practice, and didn't before as they literally weren't Muslim.. so it's not like a born muslim neglecting Muslim.

In regards to the bulk of the question, I wouldn't want to consider A, as they listen to music, watch films, free mixing etc, all of which are big no no's. I would consider B, C and D. I would love to marry someone that is C, because being a student of knowledge, they will know more than me, and can teach me and our kids too, Insha ' Allah. I would prefer a student of knowledge or alim over a hafidth, if the person was just exclusively one, of course they may be both. Also, that's not a requirement for me, as I am not a student of knowledge or an aalima. Also, as long as they do the Fardth, and stay away from major and minor sins, I am happy. Someone who tries their best to follow the deen, and has taqwa in all elements of their life. Knowing that which is haram and halal as well as makrooh, and not only being interested in and following Islam to the best of their ability, but also striving to learn more.

So as well as the 5 pillars, they don't listen to music, free mix or watch movies. That they have a beard, don't think it's okay to take out a university loan (if they've done this themselves, I don't know whether I'd hold it against them or not though.. because people don't realise at the time sometimes), and ensuring they have a halal job, because there's jobs like bank ones and taxi driving ones and others, that I don't think are okay.. Also not wanting to take out a mortgage, things like not going to restaurants because they also serve alcohol (as a lot of halal restaurants here do that too) etc. Hopefully helping me to wear Niqaab too.. I wouldn't be doing this for the sake of them, it's something I've been thinking about for a while, but right now it's tough for me to do this, and there's stuff I want to change about myself before I start doing this (before marriage of course). Also someone who tries their best to follow the sunnahs in life, as well as the fardths. Also zero talking to the opposite gender except in necessity, like say we're at the supermarket and there's a female at the counter, and she says Hi to him, he better be lowering his gaze and not reply lol, let me reply instead.. is that taking things extreme, I don't know, but there you go

A+ answer. 100 marks.

Regarding minor sins, do you think it's easy to find someone who completely avoid movies and music these days? Also, obviously none of us can be completely free of minor sins, so which ones would be a deal-breaker to you, and which ones would you overlook?

^ Question for all.

Btw, did this thread got moved?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4049 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fakhri View Post
    Someone who prays and is mindful of avoiding sins and all that is haraam, especially someone who has a genuine concern and passion for Allah Ta'aalaa and Islam.

Being okay with free-mixing, music, watching (most) movies would mean to me they aren't "practicing" (ie. practicing how I'd like to see them or myself), though they are of course practicing but engaged in a few serious sins.

(Question not addressed to me I know, but C would be 'very strongly practicing' or a similar description.)
    This.

But i would also add that one other criteria is that practicing muslims MUST have a strong sense of 'identity" and love towards Islam.
    Attempting to become a Sipahi - buffering............ Training will commence from 2/3/2017-??

Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7559 Post(s)

A+ answer. 100 marks.

Regarding minor sins, do you think it's easy to find someone who completely avoid movies and music these days? Also, obviously none of us can be completely free of minor sins, so which ones would be a deal-breaker to you, and which ones would you overlook?

^ Question for all.

Btw, did this thread got moved?
    Completely avoids? It's possible, but I think you'll be looking for a long time.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    868 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arfatzafar View Post
    A + B, abstains from major sin as well.

Good point. I didn't address major sins in my OP, because in my mind those who do that won't be considered practicing at all.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    868 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spicen View Post
    This.

But i would also add that one other criteria is that practicing muslims MUST have a strong sense of 'identity" and love towards Islam.

What does it mean to have a strong sense of identity?

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6320 Post(s)

Why not C?
    B is the minimum, C is bonus.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4049 Post(s)

What does it mean to have a strong sense of identity?
    Do you want a short version or a long version answer?
    Attempting to become a Sipahi - buffering............ Training will commence from 2/3/2017-??

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    868 Post(s)

Do you want a short version or a long version answer?

Medium length.

Odan
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iRepIslam View Post
    B & c

وعليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته
    Being scholar has nothing to do with being a practicing one, however,essential knowledge which enables to distinguish haram and halal is obligatory on all Muslims.

Moreover, more knowledgeable you're, more practicing you must be.

Taqwa isn't confined in knowledge rather in following kitab and sunnah obediently.

Mentioned
    1034 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8805 Post(s)

The criteria you listed shows outward actions but I know plenty of people who do that and more but have the hardest hearts and are cruel to their wives.

********* Sincerity *********

This is literally what melts me.

Quantifying deeds doesn't represent quality of the actions.

And just because someone studied at an Islamic university does not mean they love their Lord even though it was really heartbreaking for me to hear the stories because with that level of commitment you would hope they are the best amongst us.
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Odan
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)

This.

It differs in level of Taqwa

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4049 Post(s)

Medium length.

Well first a little bit of background. I believe one of the biggest reasons behind muslims leaving Islam is the adoption of western culture and morals. The adoption of western culture however is a direct result of a loss of identity of muslims following colonial rule. Muslims instead chose different identities including nationalistic identities, globalist identities such as ideas like "we are all humans." Muslims no longer feel a sense of 'belonging' to Islam and hence identify themselves with other groups such as humanists, secularists, etc. Most young muslims know Taylor Swift or some other actress from hollywood and they can tell you A-Z about them. But ask them about Islamic history or famous muslims in the past, you will only hear silence. And there's something extremely wrong with that.

Fact is Islam has been sidelined as a religion of following a few rituals. However, Islam is far more than that. Islam has an important role to play in society and in politics. Islamic history is one of the most successful among all civilizations, we should be proud of it but we are not.

A good muslim should not only restrict islam to a few rituals but also be aware of the fact that he is a part of a religion and a major civilization that's 1,400 years old. It's a civilization that gave the world many things- it was muslims who kept science alive while europe slept, a law system (Shariah Law), guaranteed rights for women at a time when there was no pressure to do so, oversaw the most tolerant society at the time among many other things. This is the civilization that own ancestors built with their own blood, sweat and hands. Instead, of putting our loyalty towards Islam, muslims are putting their loyalty towards secularism and liberalism as if those are the only things that can bring progress.

Hence, a good, practising muslim must feel a sense of belonging and loyalty to islam and other muslims.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1917 Post(s)

I think it's also important to take into account that certain unislamic habits are much harder to break. Music is a great example because a lot of people consider it minor but people who do listen very rarely give it up from my experience. I also don't know many people who don't listen to music anymore which is very sad
    Ya Rab! When you give me wealth, do not take away my happiness. When you give me strength, do not take away my intelligence. When you give me victory, do not take away my humility. When you give me humility, do not take away my dignity.

Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7559 Post(s)
    I think it's also important to take into account that certain unislamic habits are much harder to break. Music is a great example because a lot of people consider it minor but people who do listen very rarely give it up from my experience. I also don't know many people who don't listen to music anymore which is very sad
    Quite true, about music.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4049 Post(s)

It differs in level of Taqwa
    Doesn't have anything to do with taqwa.

Keep off of my property! Morose's Avatar
    Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4603 Post(s)

RE option b, did you major sins? Because avoiding minor sins is probably impossible aha? How many sins we commit in the day. Allah have mercy. Ameen.
    So what I don't care.

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2226 Post(s)

It's very interesting to read everyone's answers.I particulary like Randoms.Hidden diamonds are hard to find.
    Ya Allah,
    Make me a stronger person today. Make me a better person out of all these. It is no longer bearable for me for my heart is aching and You are the only One who knows how I feel. Nothing is making sense to myself and for anyone else for that matter especially to the one person I wish to understand me better than anybody else.
    "Don't use the sharpness of your tongue on the mother who taught you how to speak

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    945 Post(s)

:

There r 2 cores of practicing without which the person cannot be practicing.

1. Fard
    2. Refraining from whats haram/sins and that which is not allowed.

All the rest r add ons, anyone with all the add ons without the core isnt really practicing,
    and u can add one more (not having pride, or looking down on others coz of ones acts of following Islam)

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2763 Post(s)

Someone can be a mix of all three or change depending on their imaan. Also sinning has nothing to do with being practising as long as the person is repenting and knows it's wrong., whether they fall into major or minor sins. When it's continues and they make excuses for it, that's when that person can't be called practising in my opinion.

However I would say B and C.

Someone who isn't practising but only intends to is not the same as someone who is already practising.
    "So, if you are too tired to speak,
    sit next to me, because I too,
    am fluent in silence."

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    868 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaNdOm View Post
    The criteria you listed shows outward actions but I know plenty of people who do that and more but have the hardest hearts and are cruel to their wives.

********* Sincerity *********

This is literally what melts me.

Quantifying deeds doesn't represent quality of the actions.

And just because someone studied at an Islamic university does not mean they love their Lord even though it was really heartbreaking for me to hear the stories because with that level of commitment you would hope they are the best amongst us.

How do you judge / measure a person's sincerity?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    868 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morose View Post
    RE option b, did you major sins? Because avoiding minor sins is probably impossible aha? How many sins we commit in the day. Allah have mercy. Ameen.

No, I meant minor sins, but I should've worded it as "trying their best to avoid minor sins", because you're right, no one can totally avoid minor sins.

Odan
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)

Doesn't have anything to do with taqwa.
    O.k . Then what do you mean to strong identity?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4049 Post(s)

O.k . Then what do you mean to strong identity?
    post 24

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)

:

C) + avoid major sins.

Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3275 Post(s)

First question from me be like: soo what is your favourite McDonald's meal
    but in Dubai its halal so they could technically answer that question
    Allah is greater than my pain...

Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    992 Post(s)

Quite true, about music.
    Hmmm.... I'm surprised to hear that, tbh. I know quite a few people who were quite into music but now don't listen to it at all. One of them isn't particularly practicing either, just with age he stopped listening. They don't have time for music, or if in their cars they just leave the radio (news/chat) turned on. (I wouldn't advise that either, tbh, but Alhamdulillah. It's not music.)

Maybe it's with a certain age group it's an issue.(?).
    Last edited by Fakhri; 21-03-17 at 05:18 PM.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7559 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakhri View Post
    Quite true, about music.
    Hmmm.... I'm surprised to hear that, tbh. I know quite a few people who were quite into music but now don't listen to it at l. One of them isn't particularly practicing either, just with age he stopped listening. They don't have time for music, or if in their cars they just leave the radio (news/chat) turned on. (I wouldn't advise that either, tbh, but Alhamdulillah. It's not music.)

Maybe it's with a certain age group it's an issue.(?).
    Yeah probably it's more an issue with young people.

Odan
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    595 Post(s)

Salam alekum wa rahmatullah wa barakeetuh,
    One, to who Islam is way of life, not just a name. He is implementing it as much as possible in his daily life. Whose role models are Prophet Muhammad SAW and Sahabah Ra. Whose main concern is his Akherah.