Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)

5th Feb 2017 Neelu show (on air now)

Salam,

Topic: do we control social media or is social media manipulating us? Going on air within the minute inshaAllah

Mentioned
    648 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7992 Post(s)

Re: 5th Feb 2017 Neelu show (on air now)

I'm listening!

Point 1 - should have put the articles up before you begun the show.

Point 2 - it's 'Musssslim' not 'Muzlim'.
    Last edited by Morose; 05-02-17 at 09:08 PM.

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1753 Post(s)

True say on the social media being a spying tool. They sell your information to private companies as well. Android is affiliated to a company called Nuance which they sell your info to.

The information you enter / display on Android apps do not belong to you but rather they belong to Android and the companies they share with.

- android s5 terms of agreement.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)

I didn't get to read the whole of the second article as it's long but I'm posting it on here in case anyone is interested in reading the rest of it. I found it very eye opening about the level of intricately detailed information they can gather down to an individual and mass level and worse, how that information can be used and directed in a very specific way to influence people's life decisions.
    https://medium.com/@jakefuentes/the-...0c5#.ejrpxtmr2
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...lped-trump-win

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)

okay literally the first thing to pop up on my newsfeed on fb as soon as I finished the show was this thing from fb saying "you're in control of the things people post on your timeline". I find that reeeeeally creepy. I do a whole show talking mainly about "facebook" and "control" and "manipulation" and it's using the same terminology back at me to give me the illusion of control.

Mentioned
    648 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7992 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neelu View Post
    okay literally the first thing to pop up on my newsfeed on fb as soon as I finished the show was this thing from fb saying "you're in control of the things people post on your timeline". I find that reeeeeally creepy. I do a whole show talking mainly about "facebook" and "control" and "manipulation" and it's using the same terminology back at me to give me the illusion of control.
    That is very strange.

You don't suppose....?

a muslim in a odd place HelloEverybody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)

hmm...

A acquaintance of mine had responsibility of coding a bot to recognize "hate-speech". He had access to data provided by local social-media-site, not facebook. Also some other people I know makes algorithms for promoting products to certain type people using access give by company who probably got it from facebook. I know about their work superficially.

There are a lot people whose job is solely think ways to monetize the information you provide, so natural extension of it is how feed certain information to people.

Any of you uni people, you most likely have access to databases in research papers. You can simply try to search how this is done.

Data from social media is used to classify people. Either to sell products or something else.
    Last edited by HelloEverybody; 06-02-17 at 01:46 AM.

a muslim in a odd place HelloEverybody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HelloEverybody View Post
    hmm...

A acquaintance of mine had responsibility of coding a bot to recognize "hate-speech". He had access to data provided by local social-media-site, not facebook. Also some other people I know makes algorithms for promoting products to certain type people using access give by company who probably got it from facebook. I know about their work superficially.

There are a lot people whose job is solely think ways to monetize the information you provide, so natural extension of it is how feed certain information to people.

Any of you uni people, you most likely have access to databases in research papers. You can simply try to search how this is done.

Data from social media is used to classify people. Either to sell products or something else.
    Even if practical implementation of ways feeding information through social media isn't accessible, I believe theoretical base exist and it might be found in research papers. I haven't checked it myself.

I am not talking about "trolls" whose job is to comment message boards on behalf of their organization. I am talking about more nuanced way that is designed specific person having certain "profile-type". This possbily could done through continuous messages, pictures, videos and maybe sounds. But I don't know how exactly this works.
    Last edited by HelloEverybody; 06-02-17 at 02:20 AM.