Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

New Muslim support thread

:

Figured a thread like this would be a good idea (dunno if it will take off though)

Being converts to Islam you don't always get the support you need irl so if you want advice or just want to rant you can post here
    @Rifqah @brightest hour

I'll start, my family is so difficult to be around with Christmas it's not easy. Also something happened with a born "muslim" and my sister that I can't mention here coz I think you lot would start cursing the "Muslim". it's so sad it's not funny
    Last edited by eesa the kiwi; 18-12-16 at 05:57 AM.
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Re: New Muslim support thread

Thank you brother @Fakhri, I'll do anything or read anything that might help. I went to work on two hours sleep today so, I'm shattered.

If it is shaytaan then I shouldn't go to bed early as that would be submitting to shaytaan and giving in to the disturbance. I think I should stay awake until the usual time I might sleep.

for the valued help

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

I answered a question in my final exam that I was surprised I got wrong.

Is it permissible to wear silk underwear?

It didn't stipulate male or female.

Prohibited was one of the choices and I chose this answer, which was wrong.

Other answers included...acceptable, disliked, permissible if you have a need, allowed...

I thought silk was not permitted?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rifqah View Post

Other answers included...acceptable, disliked, permissible if you have a need, allowed...

Permissible if you have a need would be my guess
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

:
    I really want my family to embrace Islam but I'm really starting to see perhaps there is a reason they haven't been guided

Behavior and character is just appalling
    Seems every time I meet I lose some respect. Mum just had an operation and they still treat her like dirt

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

My brothers and sisters are shayateen smh

Mentioned
    722 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6315 Post(s)

Not a new muslim but sometimes feel that I know basics only and trying to learn more, Insha ' Allah
    It's important as Muslims to give your children a good Islamic upbringing, just dawned on me how little i know. And Insha ' Allah all of us can pass this onto our kids, if we are blessed with children, Insha ' Allah. And that we all gain knowledge ourselves too.
    Some of us weren't given that. i mean we were taught to pray and read the Qur'an as kids etc, but like tajweed wasn't taught, not the rules anyway. I had to teach someone in my family to pray a few years back, so not everyone knew. I love my parents and family dearly, and I was taught to the extent they knew. So i just need to learn more myself, sometimes it gets overwhelming when i think of how little i know. Insha ' Allah going to make an effort to start learning daily, rather than procrastinating, or putting it off due to not knowing where to begin with knowledge
    Masha ' Allah was just reading over this thread, may Allah s.w.t keep all of you strong. It must be tough when your family is non muslim, we are all here for you though, and Insha ' Allah they are guided. Ameen.
    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
    [al-An’aam 6:59]

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

Mum was watching "psychics" on tv I told her they get their information from the shayateen and got told to not ruin it for her

Sad thing is hands down she would trust one of these "psychics" over the Quran

She wouldn't even think that hard

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
    Mum was watching "psychics" on tv I told her they get their information from the shayateen and got told to not ruin it for her

Sad thing is hands down she would trust one of these "psychics" over the Quran

She wouldn't even think that hard
    My brother is the same eesa, he would accept anything said to him by these charlatans and think it meaningful even with the most tenuous of links. Yet he refers to himself as Atheist and says that if he went to any church, it would be to the spiritualist church no doubt.

It's all comfort and escapism for him, I can see the attraction from his perspective but it's a hollow outcome.

Only Allah (swt) can do this, we cannot. We can only give the information which is what you're doing. May Allah (swt) reward you for your efforts and make it easy for your family to see the truth and be guided to the straight path. Ameen.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

My brother is the same eesa, he would accept anything said to him by these charlatans and think it meaningful even with the most tenuous of links. Yet he refers to himself as Atheist and says that if he went to any church, it would be to the spiritualist church no doubt.

It's all comfort and escapism for him, I can see the attraction from his perspective but it's a hollow outcome.

Only Allah (swt) can do this, we cannot. We can only give the information which is what you're doing. May Allah (swt) reward you for your efforts and make it easy for your family to see the truth and be guided to the straight path. Ameen.

for the dua, appreciate it
    May Allah guide your family and guide many to Islam through you

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

:
    I really want my family to embrace Islam but I'm really starting to see perhaps there is a reason they haven't been guided

Behavior and character is just appalling
    Seems every time I meet I lose some respect. Mum just had an operation and they still treat her like dirt

I do too but firstly I would settle for acceptance. Just to be accepted as a Muslim and not to walk on eggshells or be treated like it's a phase would be wonderful.

I was wondering about the whole part where it bothers us that these things take time. In your case, that you cannot see any progress in their conversion journey and in my case, waiting for them to respect my decision. The feelings we get eesa, I wonder if they are not sinful.

That Allah (swt) has not guided them thus far or that I am impatient for His assistance in this matter, as if I am thinking Allah (swt) should have acted sooner for my satisfaction. Do you see what I'm saying?

It makes me worry that I am being sinful because ultimately that's what my feelings mean. I am wanting something to have changed by now and that's why I am feeling bad. Instead of accepting that Allah (swt) has perfect timing or of course that He might say no.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

I do too but firstly I would settle for acceptance. Just to be accepted as a Muslim and not to walk on eggshells or be treated like it's a phase would be wonderful.

I was wondering about the whole part where it bothers us that these things take time. In your case, that you cannot see any progress in their conversion journey and in my case, waiting for them to respect my decision. The feelings we get eesa, I wonder if they are not sinful.

That Allah (swt) has not guided them thus far or that I am impatient for His assistance in this matter, as if I am thinking Allah (swt) should have acted sooner for my satisfaction. Do you see what I'm saying?

It makes me worry that I am being sinful because ultimately that's what my feelings mean. I am wanting something to have changed by now and that's why I am feeling bad. Instead of accepting that Allah (swt) has perfect timing or of course that He might say no.
    I see what you are saying : btw but there is two different things here. It's ok to be unhappy with something but to be unhappy with the decree of Allah is something else

I don't like my siblings bad behaviour or how they think this life is a party heedless of the hereafter but does that mean I'm unhappy with Allah for not guiding them? Of course not, All praise is due to him subhanahu wa ta ala

Or for you to dislike how you are being treated doesn't mean you are unhappy with Allah
    Two different things but I think I explained this poorly. That being said patience is a virtue so I really shouldn't use this thread to moan

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

I see what you are saying : btw but there is two different things here. It's ok to be unhappy with something but to be unhappy with the decree of Allah is something else

I don't like my siblings bad behaviour or how they think this life is a party heedless of the hereafter but does that mean I'm unhappy with Allah for not guiding them? Of course not, All praise is due to him subhanahu wa ta ala

Or for you to dislike how you are being treated doesn't mean you are unhappy with Allah
    Two different things but I think I explained this poorly. That being said patience is a virtue so I really shouldn't use this thread to moan
    I see what you're saying, our intention is because we are worried for their benefit rather than feeling impatient with Allah (swt).

I get worried about doing the right thing in this new religion.

You didn't explain poorly, when I'm a bit emotional I read what I think rather than what's written, sorry..

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Awful day just awful.

Odan
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2077 Post(s)

Awful day just awful.
    What's the matter?

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indefinable View Post
    What's the matter?
    Getting everything wrong, feeling like i have the knowledge and intelligence of a potato at the moment.

Maybe I need to change my name again to Potato.
    Last edited by Rifqah; 11-01-17 at 04:58 PM.

Odan
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2077 Post(s)

Getting everything wrong, feeling like i have the knowledge and intelligence of a potato at the moment.

Maybe I need to change my name again to Potato.
    Knowledge and intelligence of a potato?

You know Potatoes have so many uses, there's so much you can do with a Potato, baked potato, mashed potato, chips, boiled potatoes, stuffed potatoes, baked potato casserole...

But on a serious note, everyone has their 'off' days, don't let it get you down.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

Hopefully youre feeling better @Potato I mean @Rifqah
    (That was an attempt at a joke btw we can all use a smile from time to time

In my family we have 4 birthdays in January including mine. I told my parents I wouldn't be celebrating and surprisingly they respected that. They didn't even buy me presents Alhamdulilah

I know deep down mums not happy but I feel like saying without Islam I doubt I'd be alive so surely it's better to have a son who doesn't do birthdays over having a son that died from an od or commited suicide or something. The sadness she feels over me being a Muslim would be multiplied I reckon if I never accepted islam

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Hopefully youre feeling better @Potato I mean @Rifqah
    (That was an attempt at a joke btw we can all use a smile from time to time

In my family we have 4 birthdays in January including mine. I told my parents I wouldn't be celebrating and surprisingly they respected that. They didn't even buy me presents Alhamdulilah

I know deep down mums not happy but I feel like saying without Islam I doubt I'd be alive so surely it's better to have a son who doesn't do birthdays over having a son that died from an od or commited suicide or something. The sadness she feels over me being a Muslim would be multiplied I reckon if I never accepted islam
    That's good they accepted your wishes about your birthday Alhamdulillah. Your mum will always avoid seeing the negative because it would hurt to think about the possibilities that could have been had you not been Guided (swt).

I know what you mean though, I'm thinking all this will take time for them to fully accept the changes.

May Allah (swt) guide your family Inshallah and make it easy for them to see and be Guided (swt), ameen.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

That's good they accepted your wishes about your birthday Alhamdulillah. Your mum will always avoid seeing the negative because it would hurt to think about the possibilities that could have been had you not been Guided (swt).

I know what you mean though, I'm thinking all this will take time for them to fully accept the changes.

May Allah (swt) guide your family Inshallah and make it easy for them to see and be Guided (swt), ameen.
    :

To answer your rep I do not know, perhaps a question for the scholars.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

:

I'm looking for a pdf of Islamic studies by bilal Philips book 2,3 &4 (I have 1)

Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1111 Post(s)

:

I'm looking for a pdf of Islamic studies by bilal Philips book 2,3 &4 (I have 1)

Any suggestions?
    For starters I guess it might help people find it if I put up the ISBN of each book:

(Islamic Studies 1 - ISBN: 9960850935)
    Islamic Studies 2 - ISBN: 1898649189
    Islamic Studies 3 - ISBN: 9960672387
    Islamic Studies 4 - ISBN: 996085096X

Maybe there are local libraries that loan out e-books.
    I've only been able to find paperback copies.
    Say what somebody can do instead of the haram if you want to help.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

:

Any suggestions?

Brother, can't you download the ones on the course?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

Brother, can't you download the ones on the course?
    :

These are slightly different to the ones he used with iou

These were textbooks he wrote before iou

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstorm View Post
    For starters I guess it might help people find it if I put up the ISBN of each book:

(Islamic Studies 1 - ISBN: 9960850935)
    Islamic Studies 2 - ISBN: 1898649189
    Islamic Studies 3 - ISBN: 9960672387
    Islamic Studies 4 - ISBN: 996085096X

Maybe there are local libraries that loan out e-books.
    I've only been able to find paperback copies.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

:

These are slightly different to the ones he used with iou

These were textbooks he wrote before iou
    On one or two of mine, he gave incorrect information. One I recall was about the leader of Ethiopia who apparently his his conversion to Islam and one other about wudhu.

Brother Ibn Talib recommended some other books but I can't find where at the moment. I'll post the link here when I find them Inshallah.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

On one or two of mine, he gave incorrect information. One I recall was about the leader of Ethiopia who apparently his his conversion to Islam and one other about wudhu.

Brother Ibn Talib recommended some other books but I can't find where at the moment. I'll post the link here when I find them Inshallah.

I've come across incorrect rulings before. SubhannAllah one in particular was where bilal Phillips said vanilla essence with alcohol was halal to be used as the percentage of alcohol was so minute you couldn't get drunk no matter how much you drank. I worked at a supermarket as a teen and as I was underage to buy alcohol once or twice with workmates we actually drunk vannila essence as it's actually like 50% alcohol and it's will get you drunk like any other spirit. Bilal Phillips obviously didn't know this and was making the ruling based on the knowledge he had

the only person we blindly follow is Rasululah sallaho alayhi wa sallam. Everyone else will err from time to time so take the good and leave the bad. Even me if I'm like @Rifqah do such and such and I can't back it up from Quran and authentic sunnah then leave it

The point is don't let one or two errors make you write off everything. Iou is in my experience one of the best resources online and in English that you can find to study the Deen.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

I've come across incorrect rulings before. SubhannAllah one in particular was where bilal Phillips said vanilla essence with alcohol was halal to be used as the percentage of alcohol was so minute you couldn't get drunk no matter how much you drank. I worked at a supermarket as a teen and as I was underage to buy alcohol once or twice with workmates we actually drunk vannila essence as it's actually like 50% alcohol and it's will get you drunk like any other spirit. Bilal Phillips obviously didn't know this and was making the ruling based on the knowledge he had

the only person we blindly follow is Rasululah sallaho alayhi wa sallam. Everyone else will err from time to time so take the good and leave the bad. Even me if I'm like @Rifqah do such and such and I can't back it up from Quran and authentic sunnah then leave it

The point is don't let one or two errors make you write off everything. Iou is in my experience one of the best resources online and in English that you can find to study the Deen.
    That's a balanced view and I agree with it.

Hopefully when I become more confident in the basics I'll be less jumpy about such things.

for the nodge in the right direction.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

https://youtu.be/TayZp7gxYxk

Tips for memorising Surat ul Baqara, Alhamduliah

Odan
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2424 Post(s)

n/m.
    Last edited by brightesthour; 22-01-17 at 02:47 AM.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brightesthour View Post
    n/m.
    Morning sis

How are things?
    How are your studies going?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quoted
    753 Post(s)

: Brother , Sisters

Silk is haram only for men.
    My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

:
    Ok Muslims use certain Arabic phrases interchangeably but for a new Muslim it would be quite confusing. I do this myself but if I was asked to explain it could be tricky

So how would you explain to a new Muslim when to say Alhamdulilah and subhanAllah in conversation

Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9433 Post(s)
    :
    Ok Muslims use certain Arabic phrases interchangeably but for a new Muslim it would be quite confusing. I do this myself but if I was asked to explain it could be tricky

So how would you explain to a new Muslim when to say Alhamdulilah and subhanAllah in conversation

Any suggestions?

There aren't any explicit rules to that regard. Personally I say Alhamdulillah to express gratitude towards Allah and subhanAllah to express marvel at His will or His creation.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoic Believer View Post

There aren't any explicit rules to that regard. Personally I say Alhamdulillah to express gratitude towards Allah and subhanAllah to express marvel at His will or His creation.

I think that explains it nicely

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3624 Post(s)

My sister had a birthday dinner at mums. My mum's recently had surgery on her hand and also had a knee replacement yet cooked a flash dinner and desserts. My brothers and sisters were more interested in alcohol than trying to help. When it was over everyone got up and left her this huge mess and pile of dishes. I was like mum I'll do the dishes and did them while my siblings sat on their beds talking to boyfriend's etc

This lady struggles so much for them and they treat her like a maid. Seems everytime I visit they do something that makes me lose respect for them. Don't have much respect left tbh

I know their religion is batil with the way they behave
    Wish my parents could see this may Allah guide them to islam

Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9433 Post(s)
    My sister had a birthday dinner at mums. My mum's recently had surgery on her hand and also had a knee replacement yet cooked a flash dinner and desserts. My brothers and sisters were more interested in alcohol than trying to help. When it was over everyone got up and left her this huge mess and pile of dishes. I was like mum I'll do the dishes and did them while my siblings sat on their beds talking to boyfriend's etc

This lady struggles so much for them and they treat her like a maid. Seems everytime I visit they do something that makes me lose respect for them. Don't have much respect left tbh

I know their religion is batil with the way they behave
    Wish my parents could see this may Allah guide them to islam
    That's really sad. Its hard to believe how some people can take their mothers for granted to such an extent.

Ameen bro.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Asalaamalaikum, The following link has a large number of beneficial Islamic books that are available for download. In sha Allah, I hope the link will work for you all.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8lEw_negqRyMll3NlBZSEo1dUU

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Jalebis View Post
    Asalaamalaikum, The following link has a large number of beneficial Islamic books that are available for download. In sha Allah, I hope the link will work for you all.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8lEw_negqRyMll3NlBZSEo1dUU
    Yes it works sis and there's a lot of literature, thank you so much!

Barakallahu feeki

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Asalaamalaikum, This video may be helpful for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHs-Yo6dLQ0

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Jalebis View Post

Asalaamalaikum, This video may be helpful for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHs-Yo6dLQ0

I think the answer might be....if you have a need. Given the choices I have. I'll find out this evening, I'm going to take the test again Inshallah.

I didn't know what to think of the video sis. He's discussing serious issues so i didnt think laughing at a lot of ut seemed appropriate. It might be me being too cautious but i juat felt uncomfortable watching it. Thank you for your help though. I wish the question in the test stipulated he or she but it didn't.

When I've exhausted the option it seems...
    Last edited by Rifqah; 22-01-17 at 01:38 PM.