Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

New Muslim support thread

:

Figured a thread like this would be a good idea (dunno if it will take off though)

Being converts to Islam you don't always get the support you need irl so if you want advice or just want to rant you can post here
    @Rifqah @brightest hour

I'll start, my family is so difficult to be around with Christmas it's not easy. Also something happened with a born "muslim" and my sister that I can't mention here coz I think you lot would start cursing the "Muslim". it's so sad it's not funny
    Last edited by eesa the kiwi; 18-12-16 at 05:57 AM.
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Re: New Muslim support thread

Great idea for a thread! Mashallah.

I'm just glad I have changed jobs as the outward appearance of changing from non Muslim to Muslim would be really hard to gain acceptance. In a new job people just accept that as they've only known you in that way. However, I am still getting given Christmas cards and I never know what to say. Sometimes I say,
    "You know I'm Muslim right?"
    Other times I say it's a nice card and then add that I wouldn't be sending one in return and people generally laugh.

I've been challenged a lot by other Muslims at work, usually about prayer. I've not come across anyone who prays at work, they must catch up when they get home.

My family is my hardest challenge for me to deal with. I almost have to step outside myself and look at their actions and words dispassionately and examine the cause from their point of view, but it's so difficult as I love them and I want to hug them and say it's still me, I love you so please just be the same with me. It's almost like I can see my brother thinking 'here comes the Muslim' rather than 'here comes my sister'.

He's been okay this week though Alhamdulillah even though I declined to visit him for Christmas. I said I'd come in January instead. He asked me if I would have a gift and I said I'd rather not and he joked that he would save money, which was super nice of him to lighten it a bit. So I laughed and said that there was always a bright side to these things.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rifqah View Post

I'm just glad I have changed jobs as the outward appearance of changing from non Muslim to Muslim would be really hard to gain acceptance. In a new job people just accept that as they've only known you in that way. However, I am still getting given Christmas cards and I never know what to say. Sometimes I say,
    Other times I say it's a nice card and then add that I wouldn't be sending one in return and people generally laugh.

I've been challenged a lot by other Muslims at work, usually about prayer. I've not come across anyone who prays at work, they must catch up when they get home.

My family is my hardest challenge for me to deal with. I almost have to step outside myself and look at their actions and words dispassionately and examine the cause from their point of view, but it's so difficult as I love them and I want to hug them and say it's still me, I love you so please just be the same with me. It's almost like I can see my brother thinking 'here comes the Muslim' rather than 'here comes my sister'.

He's been okay this week though Alhamdulillah even though I declined to visit him for Christmas. I said I'd come in January instead. He asked me if I would have a gift and I said I'd rather not and he joked that he would save money, which was super nice of him to lighten it a bit. So I laughed and said that there was always a bright side to these things.
    Just think of how proud of you you family will be on Qiyyamah when they see the honor inshaAllah Allah will give you for being a believer despite the trials you go through
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
    Just think of how proud of you you family will be on Qiyyamah when they see the honor inshaAllah Allah will give you for being a believer despite the trials you go through
    Inshallah, who knows what Allah (swt) will give me. Hopefully it will be according to His mercy rather than what I deserve.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Also something happened with a born "muslim" and my sister that I can't mention here coz I think you lot would start cursing the "Muslim". it's so sad it's not funny
    A weak Muslim needs dua, education and encouragement towards iman, not cursing. It's probably a good decision not to reveal it though, mashallah, for the sake of the brother and your sister.

We converts have these tests but born Muslims have cultural ones equally as challenging from what I read.

I'm so glad you made this thread where we can support each other.

Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1294 Post(s)

Brothers: @Abdulwadood @Grandad

Sisters:
    @Hannahk92 @Yasirah87 @aynina @xlouise @noraina

(It might be good idea for us to tag a few of the other revert brothers and sisters. Baarakallah feek, dear br Eesa. You know how I feel About this thread. May Allah Ta'aalaa make it a means of good for you and others.)
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9173 Post(s)

What type of support
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aynina View Post
    What type of support
    Encouragement sis

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1294 Post(s)

LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)

Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9173 Post(s)

Encouragement sis
    Yea i might beed some lol
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1144 Post(s)

This made me think of @elliemurray99 although she's no longer active on this forum.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    167 Post(s)

All of born Muslims may forsake you and discriminate against you.
    Non Muslim think you have betrayed their religion by accepting Islam (as if it's a soccer match n u have changed team) -__- !

And what Muslims think is something far more worse (minus the sugar coated and double faced peeps)

But Allāh azza wajal never forsakes his Muslim slave.
    I am a witness to that.

He ALWAYS helps

do not revolt against the rulers nor backbite them (they will be accountable for their deeds) don't revile the Salafi scholars.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

It's just come to my attention that I have Christmas gifts to open. I didn't think they'd get me any or include me as they know I'm not Christian any more but my sister said everyone celebrates Christmas even Atheists.

What is the best thing to do?
    I think one of them is a tablet but don't let that sway your advice.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It's just come to my attention that I have Christmas gifts to open. I didn't think they'd get me any or include me as they know I'm not Christian any more but my sister said everyone celebrates Christmas even Atheists.

I'm in a similar situation, I tell my family not to buy me presents but they do anyway

Don't really know how to handle it

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1144 Post(s)

You can accept their gifts, just don't offer one in return.

"With regard to accepting a gift from a kaafir on the day of his festival, there is nothing wrong with that, and that is not regarded as participating in it or approving of it, rather it should be accepted as an act of kindness, with the aim of softening his heart and calling him to Islam. Allaah has permitted kindness and fair treatment towards the kaafir who is not fighting the Muslims, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion nor drove you out of your homes. Verily, Allaah loves those who deal with equity”

[al-Mumtahanah 60:8]"

https://islamqa.info/en/85108

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

I'm in a similar situation, I tell my family not to buy me presents but they do anyway

Don't really know how to handle it
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
    You can accept their gifts, just don't offer one in return.

"With regard to accepting a gift from a kaafir on the day of his festival, there is nothing wrong with that, and that is not regarded as participating in it or approving of it, rather it should be accepted as an act of kindness, with the aim of softening his heart and calling him to Islam. Allaah has permitted kindness and fair treatment towards the kaafir who is not fighting the Muslims, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion nor drove you out of your homes. Verily, Allaah loves those who deal with equity”

[al-Mumtahanah 60:8]"

https://islamqa.info/en/85108

sis for that information. I thanked my sister for including me and asked her if she wouldn't mind leaving her gift unwrapped and to give it me in the new year just as a gift but not at Christmastime. Then Inshallah, i am free to get them one in return am I not?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Nice thread,Masha Allah!

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Four sleeps to go and the inshaAllah I don't have to put up with this holiday for another year

Odan
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)

Inshallah, who knows what Allah (swt) will give me. Hopefully it will be according to His mercy rather than what I deserve.

A weak Muslim needs dua, education and encouragement towards iman, not cursing. It's probably a good decision not to reveal it though, mashallah, for the sake of the brother and your sister.

We converts have these tests but born Muslims have cultural ones equally as challenging from what I read.

I'm so glad you made this thread where we can support each other.

This exchange between you two just...touched me for some reason. I'm not sure why lol. May Allah increase you both in eman and steadfastness and make you examples for your fellow muslims. May He also guide your families to Islam so you may all exchange gifts on the two Eids instead of christmas and admit you and your familiesto paradise together. Ameen.

Proud to call you my brother and sister in Islam. (proud not like in a prideful way but like in a pleased sort of way...you know what I mean lol)

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Three sleeps to go, going to breathe a sigh of relief and say Alhamdulilah I think
    @TCKMuslima for the dua

Odan
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2422 Post(s)

They're calling for snow where I live and I'm hoping it snows and the freeways are closed so no one can make it here for Christmas eve and Christmas day lol

It won't snow here for sure but up in the mountains it might so here's to hoping!!

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brightesthour View Post
    They're calling for snow where I live and I'm hoping it snows and the freeways are closed so no one can make it here for Christmas eve and Christmas day lol

It won't snow here for sure but up in the mountains it might so here's to hoping!!
    May Allah help you navigate through this pagan holiday safely and also grant you snow

Odan
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2422 Post(s)

May Allah help you navigate through this pagan holiday safely and also grant you snow
    Ameen

Would be nice getting a break, I'd feel bad for my mom though since she spent a lot of money on food for both days. Eek.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Ameen

Would be nice getting a break, I'd feel bad for my mom though since she spent a lot of money on food for both days. Eek.
    My mum gets herself in debt every year trying to make a nice Christmas buying food and presents only to have a miserable day as kids treat her poorly (they're adults btw)
    She had an operation last week and she's still going all out trying to make something happen

It's pretty sad May Allah guide her

Odan
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2422 Post(s)

My mum gets herself in debt every year trying to make a nice Christmas buying food and presents only to have a miserable day as kids treat her poorly (they're adults btw)
    She had an operation last week and she's still going all out trying to make something happen

It's pretty sad May Allah guide her
    Yeah honestly my mom is getting tired of it too. She complains but does it every year because she wants to see my brothers and her brothers. And it's the only time she can see them since they have a mini winter break and she does too.

I think she'll stop if my brother and his wife move into a house then they'll have the space to host it. And then I can stay home. Woot

Odan
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2422 Post(s)

Today and tomorrow and it'll finally be over

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Hate being around people who drink
    Alcohol does not make one big and clever

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Don't know why they bother celebrating everyone just winds up at each others throats and miserable
    Also my sister's boyfriend just had a go at mum so I'm fuming
    Doing an @brightesthour and using a thread to vent

Odan
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2422 Post(s)

Don't know why they bother celebrating everyone just winds up at each others throats and miserable
    I made a thread about my terrible night, I should've just posted it here but decided on making a thread. You all can vent there too if you'd like, I know as Muslims we should ignore Christmas but it's hard when you're still at home and have no where else to go.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

I made a thread about my terrible night, I should've just posted it here but decided on making a thread. You all can vent there too if you'd like, I know as Muslims we should ignore Christmas but it's hard when you're still at home and have no where else to go.
    Yeah I saw your thread. May Allah make things easy for you if my brother did what yours did I'd want to deck him

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Picking up the pieces after Xmas
    Mums still really upset over how she was treated

So many calamities in her life and I can see why they keep happening (riba shirk etc) but if I even hint at that she will majorly flip
    No idea how to advise her
    Hard to watch, she's had a very hard life

Odan
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)

Want to tell us about it? We can sympathize.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Prior to becoming Muslim, I had a couple of distressing dreams and mentioned them on UF, wherein a couple of members gave me verses to recite before bed time which I duly did without any further incidents of similar dreams.

In the last two weeks I've been having so many really distressing dreams allwith a similar theme. I have made a big mistake in converting to Islam or the dream has some element of doom to it. Last night's dream was about a baby I was holding that died and I couldn't let go of it and everyone I passed told me it was my fault as I'd made a bad decision and now I am cursed that everything I touched would die.

Really distressing and makes me not want to go back to sleep. Today I'm exhausted and wondering if this is just normal anxiety or if I have doubts that I have tried to suppress or even if there's another element I hadn't considered yet.

Any advice would be gratefully received inshallah.

When I wake at night I'm using the time to do the night prayers and to read Quran, which is a good use of time but is not necessarily stopping the bad dreams.

for any help

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Prior to becoming Muslim, I had a couple of distressing dreams and mentioned them on UF, wherein a couple of members gave me verses to recite before bed time which I duly did without any further incidents of similar dreams.

In the last two weeks I've been having so many really distressing dreams allwith a similar theme. I have made a big mistake in converting to Islam or the dream has some element of doom to it. Last night's dream was about a baby I was holding that died and I couldn't let go of it and everyone I passed told me it was my fault as I'd made a bad decision and now I am cursed that everything I touched would die.

Really distressing and makes me not want to go back to sleep. Today I'm exhausted and wondering if this is just normal anxiety or if I have doubts that I have tried to suppress or even if there's another element I hadn't considered yet.

Any advice would be gratefully received inshallah.

When I wake at night I'm using the time to do the night prayers and to read Quran, which is a good use of time but is not necessarily stopping the bad dreams.

for any help
    :
    Are you reading ayatul kursi before sleeping?
    Dreams like this are from the shaitaan. I know easier said than done but do your best to ignore them. Remember he is a compulsive liar so any dreams from him cannot be trusted in the slightest

Like asking Pinocchio if he is a real boy

I had some pretty bad nightmares but after learning ayatul kursi I've been fine Alhamdulilah

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

:
    Are you reading ayatul kursi before sleeping?
    Dreams like this are from the shaitaan. I know easier said than done but do your best to ignore them. Remember he is a compulsive liar so any dreams from him cannot be trusted in the slightest

Like asking Pinocchio if he is a real boy

I had some pretty bad nightmares but after learning ayatul kursi I've been fine Alhamdulilah
    I've been reciting this yes, every time Inshallah that's why I wondered if it wasn't just plain old anxiety of things worried about. Though I'm not really worried about anything I can think of.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

I've been reciting this yes, every time Inshallah that's why I wondered if it wasn't just plain old anxiety of things worried about. Though I'm not really worried about anything I can think of.
    Perhaps it's not the jinn then. Could be diet, could be medication could be a range of things
    Back when I tried to quit smoking if I fell asleep with a nicotine patch on I would get disturbing dreams almost similar imo to the dreams you get from opium

Is there anything you can think of that could be causing you to dream like this? Is the room extremely cold or hot

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Perhaps it's not the jinn then. Could be diet, could be medication could be a range of things
    Back when I tried to quit smoking if I fell asleep with a nicotine patch on I would get disturbing dreams almost similar imo to the dreams you get from opium

Is there anything you can think of that could be causing you to dream like this? Is the room extremely cold or hot
    I'm not on any meds and all I can think of is that I've changed my diet quite a bit from some processed foods to fresh.

It'll work out Inshallah

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2043 Post(s)

@BrodyNBL how are you doing brother? I've changed my username so its ok if you cant recognise me
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|•.•) Hello, Assalamu Alaikum! Check out this topic! #makethechanges
    ┳┻|⊂ノ
    ┻┳|
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...adan-Authentic

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

My dad's spending more and more time watching this Christian propaganda movie channel

Don't really know how to wake him up
    Christians are shayateen who act like they think they are angels

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1294 Post(s)

As well as Ayatul Kursi....
    Has sister been reciting surah ikhlaas, falaq and naas, blowing into cupped hands, then wiping hands over the body, thrice?

Also going to sleep on right side and being in state of wudhu.

This has been very helpful for me, alhamdulillah. I had issues with disturbing dreams and also sleep paralysis quite often prior to doing this routinely.

Aisha (RA) also narrated that whenever Allah’s Apostle (S.A.W.S.) went to bed every night, he used to cup his hands together and blow over it after reciting Surah Al-Ikhlas, Surah Al-Falaq and Surah An-Nas, and then rub his hands over whatever parts of his body he was able to rub, starting with his head, face, and front of his body. He used to do that three times. [Narrated by Saheeh Al-Bukhari: Book of the Virtues of the Qur’aan, 5017]

For sure, Shaytaan plays with our minds during sleep, especially when we try to leave behind things that are harmful for us, with the intention of making us go back to whatever that harmful thing was for us, be it a major change as in sister's case or a smaller one.

Whenever we see these type of dreams, immediately upon waking, we should turn towards the left shoulder, recite "au'oothu Billahi Minash shaytaanir rajeem and "dry-spit" thrice...(There isn't a nicer way to say this in English that I'm aware of... Essentially, blowing with the faintest droplets of saliva) thrice.

Sister should notice that make a difference, InshaaAllah
    When we let these kinds of dreams bother us, Shaytaan (his underlings) continue to trouble us with them. If we recognise it is from him and a cheap and desperate attempt to disturb us/get us to return to what we have left behind, InshaaAllah, these kind of dreams will not bother us so much, and should become rare occurrences, if at all.
    (Also, the negative feelings from sister's family may be contributing to the nature of sister's dreams...)

(Wallahu A'lam)

---------------

If sister feels up to some light reading...

Just the first parts, esp what is in red (not very long):

http://www.authentictauheed.com/2015...cance.html?m=1
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH