Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Once you know it is haram...

My whole job is haram. It's not just a job it's my career and I've worked hard to attain it. It heavily involves music and also artwork and images of people and indeed some animals. I don't want to say any more about it than that.

I don't feel like there should be any period of adjustment as when you know something is haram, you should not even be doing it for one more day.

I've decided to take an emergency week off (I have some annual leave left unbooked and can say it's a personal issue) that gives me a week to find something else, temporarily, but its such a shock as I have not been with this firm long, a little over six months and thought I was good here for a few years inshallah.

It's just a shock. I have no idea what other career to choose and even if I can retrain or use transferable skills.

Inshallah...
    Last edited by Rifqah; 20-11-16 at 08:17 PM.

islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Re: Once you know it is haram...

You give up something for the sake of Allah, Allah will give you something better inshaallah
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9268 Post(s)

Congratulations on becoming a muslim. May Allah make you successful in this world and the hereafter-ameen

I think you should speak to a careers advisor about the skills and qualifications you have that can be transferred to other jobs. There are always vacancies that we Muslims can do.

This way you can find something temporarily and take some time to do more research about how you can do something that you enjoy in a halal environment. It's possible even thought it might feel really difficult now.

Don't panic, it will all work out in the end, like eesa say's it'll be replaced with something better
    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

MashAllah
    "What is asked today is uniting the ranks of the Muwahideen, and to re-unite the Muslims. And directing the efforts to confront the challenges/threats of the Majoos, Tawagith and their donkeys the Murji'ah and the secularists."- Shayk Sulayman Al Alwan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drberks View Post

My whole job is haram. It's not just a job it's my career and I've worked hard to attain it. It heavily involves music and also artwork and images of people and indeed some animals. I don't want to say any more about it than that.

I don't feel like there should be any period of adjustment as when you know something is haram, you should not even be doing it for one more day.

I've decided to take an emergency week off (I have some annual leave left unbooked and can say it's a personal issue) that gives me a week to find something else, temporarily, but its such a shock as I have not been with this firm long, a little over six months and thought I was good here for a few years inshallah.

It's just a shock. I have no idea what other career to choose and even if I can retrain or use transferable skills.

Inshallah...

Asalaamualaykum
    Be rest assured that our merciful Allah SWT knows well your realization and open up doors for you.
    Be steadfast.
    Does the pain weigh out the pride? And you look for a place to hide,
    Did someone break your heart inside, You're in ruins.

Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1294 Post(s)

Inshallah...
    Alhamdulillah.

This is an attitude that sadly many of us who grow up as Muslims often don't have. As others have mentioned, the greater the sacrifice for Allah Ta'aalaa, the greater one is (InshaaAllah) raised in status with Him.

Many of us find and have found ourselves in similar situations and it is definitely a horrible place to be in internally, working knowing one is involved in haraam of one sort of another - even when given dispensation by a scholar to continue whilst simultaneously searching for something else.

In sister's case it appears to be worse as it seems this was something that had years(?) of effort invested in it, yet she is willing to let it go with a strength that is surely a great gift from Allah Ta'aalaa, and InshaaAllah, what we can also hope is a very good sign of sister's position with Him.

A reminder of some words of our Creator (swt) that we should try to keep in our hearts when in such a situation...

وَمَنْ يَتَّقِ اللَّهَ يَجْعَلْ لَهُ مَخْرَجًا

...And whoever fears Allah - He will make for him a way out

وَيَرْزُقْهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا يَحْتَسِبُ ۚ وَمَنْ يَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ فَهُوَ حَسْبُهُ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ بَالِغُ أَمْرِهِ ۚ قَدْ جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدْرًا

And will provide for him from where he does not expect. And whoever relies upon Allah - then He is sufficient for him. Indeed, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Allah has already set for everything a [decreed] extent.
    (65:3-4)

It may also help, InshaaAllah, to cite this action of leaving this career when making du'aa, in the manner of the ones mentioned in the well known Hadith below. They entreated Allah Ta'aalaa by each mentioning to Him something they had done out of what they hoped was sincere regard for Him. Among these deeds was the foregoing of financial gain sincerely for His sake.

Imams Bukhari and Muslim reported that the Messenger sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam said:

“Three persons of a people before you, were on a journey when they were overtaken by a storm and therefore they took shelter in a cave. A rock slipped down from the mountain and blocked the exit from cave.

One of them said: “The only way for deliverance left is to beseech Allah in the name of some virtuous deed.” Thereupon one of them supplicated, “O Lord, my parents were very old, I used to offer them their nightly drink of milk before my children and the other members of the family. One day I went astray far away in search of green trees and could return only after my parent had gone to sleep. When I had milked the animals and brought their nightly drink to them, They were fast asleep, but I did not like to disturb them, nor would give any part of the milk to my children and other members of the family till after my parents had their drink. Thus, with the vessel in hand, I awaited their awakening till the flush of dawn, While the children cried out of hunger at my feet. When they woke up, they had their drink. O Lord, if I did this thing seeking only your pleasure, then do relieve us of the distress wrought upon us by this rock.” Thereupon, The rock moved a little but that not enough to let them pass out.

Then the second man supplicated: “O Lord, I had a cousin whom I loved her more passionately than any loves a woman. I tried to seduce her but she would have none of me, till in a season of great hardship due to famine, she approached me (for help) and I gave her one hundred and twenty Dinars on condition that she would have sexual intercourse with me. She agreed, and when we got together and I was just going to have intercourse with her, she pleaded: ‘Fear Allah, and do not break the seal unlawfully’; whereupon I moved away from her, despite the fact that I desired her most passionately; and I let her keep the money I had given her. O Lord, if I did this thing seeking only your pleasure, then do move the distress in which we find ourselves.” Again the rock moved a little but not enough to let them pass out.

Then the third supplicated: “O Lord, I hired some laborers and paid them their dues, but one of them left leaving behind what was due to him. I invested it in business and the business prospered greatly.” After a time the laborer came Back and said: ‘O servant of Allah, hand over to me my wages.’ I said to him: ‘All that you see is yours – camels, cattle, goats and slaves.’ He said: ‘Don’t play joke with me, O servant of Allah.’ I assured him: ‘I am mot joking.’ So he took all of it sparing nothing. O Lord, If I did this seeking only for your pleasure, do relieve us of our distress.”

The rock then moved away, and all the three came out of the cave safe and sound.

(Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim )

(Allah Ta'aalaa grant sister and all of us in such situations income that is pure, and the patience required in acquiring it.)
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)

Inshallah...
    وعليكم السلام والرحمة الله وبركاته

Ukthi your intelligent, I'm sure if you looked elsewhere you'd find alternative Halaal jobs.

Yes your right, once we know something is Haraam, we cannot even plead ignorance, we have to stop the Evil deed/action/job etc

As akhi Eesa said... Give up this Haraam job for Allah عز و جل sake, and he will replace it with something better,

Rizq is in the hands of Allah tala,

http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)

Some severe effects of consuming Haraam earnings

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...=1#post5669830

Posted way back by ukthi Mockinjay
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quoted
    751 Post(s)

Inshallah...
    : Sister,

I never knew that you were in this line but what I wrote was what Allah swt put me in my mind. But that's a good daring decision for pleasing your Creator who had given many talents to test you. . Such tests are the one with great rewards inshallah , Allah will give a better one or the one may be lesser earning with greater barakah- blessings which I had also gone through my life. For an inspiration try this short talk from Bro Yusha Evans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_U1ifMpgI0
    My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Inshallah...
    Sister Drberks

You could do English Calligraphy artwork in'shaa'ALLAH and when you learn Arabic you could get into Arabic Calligraphy artwork in'shaa'ALLAH. Calligraphy is halaal as long as it is just writing only always and not writing to look like pictures at all. in'shaa'ALLAH Just tell your employer that is haraam in Islam to draw pictures and you want to do Halaal Calligraphy only always in'shaa'ALLAH or you could look for another job in Halaal Calligraphy only in'shaa'ALLAH and in'shaa'ALLAH quit your old job .

May ALLAH AL-AZEEM reward you immensely always for your decision. Aameen!
    Last edited by ABDEL-AZEEM; 21-11-16 at 08:22 AM.
    ALLAH AL-AZEEM is the one and only GOD and ALLAH AL-AZEEM created everything. Therefore ALLAH AL-AZEEM created the Earth and created everything in the Earth and created all of the heavens and created everything in all of the heavens and created all of the hells and created everything in all of the hells and created all of the universes and created everything in all of the universes and created everything in between them.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

I know it seemed like a good decision at the time and my intention was for good as well, but I think I made a rash decision and that, as a test, I think I might have failed it. I should have thought about it more and not been so impulsive - I don't know.

I'm in a difficult situation where I am living. If I had stayed earning as much as I did, it would be easy to move out and rent a small apartment. However, I switched to a very low income job because the job itself was more halal and I find I cannot afford to move out and support myself on minimum wage.

My longterm goals are in place Inshallah and I have applied to add a module to my (current) qualification in order to get a halal job that pays more and hopefully with it, an income that will enable me to support myself living alone. It will take approximately a year though to add the module and then to apply for positions or set up in private practice.

What choice would have been better if you were in haram at work and haram at home? What choice would you have deemed more of a priority?

Jazakallah khair
    Last edited by Rifqah; 14-05-17 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9173 Post(s)

Sis Allahumma barik

You doing this, may Allah reward you Ameen
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rifqah View Post

I know it seemed like a good decision at the time and my intention was for good as well, but I think I made a rash decision and that, as a test, I think I might have failed it. I should have thought about it more and not been so impulsive - I don't know.

I'm in a difficult situation where I am living. If I had stayed earning as much as I did, it would be easy to move out and rent a small apartment. However, I switched to a very low income job because the job itself was more halal and I find I cannot afford to move out and support myself on minimum wage.

My longterm goals are in place Inshallah and I have applied to add a module to my (current) qualification in order to get a halal job that pays more and hopefully with it, an income that will enable me to support myself living alone. It will take approximately a year though to add the module and then to apply for positions or set up in private practice.

What choice would have been better if you were in haram at work and haram at home? What choice would you have deemed more of a priority?

Jazakallah khair

The foundation for the life your building is on a more halal income so iA it will be a better one.
    Last edited by Jumpski; 14-05-17 at 01:17 PM.

islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rifqah View Post

Jazakallah khair

“And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine.”

[al-Talaq 65:2-3]
    Imo you made the right call, keep making dua keep striving and wait for Allah to provide a way out of your difficulties
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post

“And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine.”

[al-Talaq 65:2-3]
    Imo you made the right call, keep making dua keep striving and wait for Allah to provide a way out of your difficulties

What's done cannot be undone even if it was a rash call.

Thank you eesa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Allah only requires a good heart, sincere, constant effort, and small baby steps. Remember the turning from an alcoholic society to am intoxicant free one? Didn't happen abrupt. It took a long time.
    Take a pen and paper and write down your goal i.e. where you want to be in the end... Then chart some milestones that will be your constant guide as you get them done one by one.