Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Thread: Islamic Faith

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Islamic Faith

People have varying degrees of faith and I was wondering how much faith you have to have to make your statement of belief or shahada. Do you have to believe emphatically that the words you are speaking are absolutely true or can you simply believe that Islam is truer than other religions you've come across?

Thanks for your consideration.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3661 Post(s)

Re: Islamic Faith

Quote Originally Posted by drberks View Post
    People have varying degrees of faith and I was wondering how much faith you have to have to make your statement of belief or shahada. Do you have to believe emphatically that the words you are speaking are absolutely true or can you simply believe that Islam is truer than other religions you've come across?

Explain the bit in bold...
    “Whoever wants to purify his heart must prefer Allah over and above his own desires.” .

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

How can truth be compared to falsehood?

That makes no sense because if they were all true you could find the trust but if one is true and the other is not then no truer form can exist

it's like comparing green to red and saying that this looks the greenest to me out of all the other reds
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1755 Post(s)

Hey

I guess it comes down to whether you believe this faith is divine. Do you believe the Quran came from Allah? Do you reject things about the Quran? If it's from God how can you reject anything about it, that would be outright arrogance towards a Being more knowledgable and capabe than you.

Just wanted to also tell you , as far as taking the shahada and becoming a member of the muslim community. You just have to say those words publicly. Many people have joined islam for wealth(well we don't know what's in their hearts but their actions speak volumes) even during the prophets life , a disbelieve wanted to partake in the battle of badr which was assumed to be a clear and easy raid of the enemy caravans, but the prophet rejected him because he was not a muslim. After at least going back to the prophet 2 times saying " I want to fight with you but I don't accept islam" he eventally just took the shahada to get in the army and enjoy the spoils of war.
    (The incident doesn't say he converted for wealth but it's practically assumed due to his rejection just earlier)
    Anyways , I'm not bringing this up to say be a hypocrite and I hope no one takes it like that. As far as when you should take it , well that incident proves that even the prophet did not question the mans intention. Everyone is encouraged to become a muslim.

Though I assume your question is asking when should I? I feel confident about islam , it makes sense and has proofs but I'm just not 100%. Just so you know , yes islam is the most sensible religion. It also provides strong proofs to prove that the Quran is actually from the Creator, but islam nonetheless requires you to have *faith* .. We don't see Allah but we believe in him and his signs, nor did we see the prophet and his miracles(other than Quran) . We didn't see the angels approaching him , nor did we fly to the heavens on a well known night. Islam asks you to believe in the Unseen. With regards to the unseen , you may have conviction that it exists , but you still didn't see it with your own eyes. What is certainly in faith? Can you be certain that heaven exists? We have very powerful reasons to believe. At the end of the day we *believe and we are not *witnessing.

I would recommend you to take that shahada. You never know how long you will live , or you will procrastinate until death takes over or something. Islam is the truth man , I simply don't see any way of thinking which is greater than this.

May Allah soften your heart and guide you .. hope this msg helped. May Allah guide me.
    Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 28-09-16 at 07:15 PM.

Odan
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)

You know Islam is a religion of the heart and the mind. So logically does your mind accept that Allah is the One True God - the only one worthy of our worship? Do you accept that Muhammad peace be upon him was the last prophet in a long line of prophets of Allah?
    If the answer to those two questions is yes.. then you have faith in these two things. And that's all that's needed for you to say the shahada. If you don't feel comfortable saying it in front of witnesses yet you can say it to yourself and Allah will be your witness.
    As far as people having varying degrees of faith (iman) - you're right, you know. Faith goes up and down. We have to constantly nourish it and ask Allah to increase it and strengthen it. We are tested in our lives and it stands to reason that our faith will fluctuate because of those trials. We have to pour effort and work sometimes into nourishing our faith continuously with Allah's help.
    So don't wait for some kind of iman high. In sha Allah that will come.

Odan
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)

You know Islam is a religion of the heart and the mind. So logically does your mind accept that Allah is the One True God - the only one worthy of our worship? Do you accept that Muhammad peace be upon him was the last prophet in a long line of prophets of Allah?
    If the answer to those two questions is yes.. then you have faith in these two things. And that's all that's needed for you to say the shahada. If you don't feel comfortable saying it in front of witnesses yet you can say it to yourself and Allah will be your witness.
    As far as people having varying degrees of faith (iman) - you're right, you know. Faith goes up and down. We have to constantly nourish it and ask Allah to increase it and strengthen it. We are tested in our lives and it stands to reason that our faith will fluctuate because of those trials. We have to pour effort and work sometimes into nourishing our faith continuously with Allah's help.
    So don't wait for some kind of iman high. In sha Allah that will come.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Thank you for the replies everyone. The information is really helpful.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

you have to believe that it is the absolute truth from God; anything less that that wont make you a muslim at heart

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

So, is it enough to have the intention to live an obedient life and to worship and serve The Almighty even if the individual still has reservations? If the intention to try and do the right thing is present, then that is the most important thing?

islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3620 Post(s)

So, is it enough to have the intention to live an obedient life and to worship and serve The Almighty even if the individual still has reservations? If the intention to try and do the right thing is present, then that is the most important thing?
    dont know the answer to your question but i just figured out you are a full member now, your names gone blue
    Alhamdulilah should make using this site easier
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
    dont know the answer to your question but i just figured out you are a full member now, your names gone blue
    Alhamdulilah should make using this site easier
    Oh oh OH! I can search lol
    Thank you for the nudge, I didn't notice.

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1755 Post(s)

Oh oh OH! I can search lol
    Thank you for the nudge, I didn't notice.
    So have you taken the shahada?

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
    So have you taken the shahada?
    Not yet. I very nearly did, the day before yesterday but it's just not that easy. I just need to be a little more prepared I think.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)

Not yet. I very nearly did, the day before yesterday but it's just not that easy. I just need to be a little more prepared I think.
    May Allah let you die as a Muslim, sister.

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1755 Post(s)

May Allah guide you and give you strength. If you need anything feel free .

Our prayers are with you and would love to call you our sister in islam soon. Please announce it to us when you do go through with it.

And remember you don't need to be a super muslim 0 to 100. It takes time , the Prophet(saws) was easy going with his companions as they were all new converts to the faith. The religion was not revealed in 1 day. It was a 23 year old process with commandments coming down throughout that period.

Yeah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

It is trust in the Unity of God or Tawheed. This is expressed in the primary Kalimah (Word) of Islam as: “Laa ilaaha illallaah", meaning: “There is no one worthy of worship but Allah.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rifqah View Post

There is not "truer" religion but the true religion did exist and it is Islam. I believe you are already a Muslimah. If you believe there is no god but Al-wahid (The one and only) and prophet Muhammad is the messenger of Allah then you already a Muslimah. Sahada is kind of declaration of your faith, Which is important to show the world that you are a true Muslimah.

May Allah guide you and give you the courage to show the world that you are a Muslimah. Amin Ya Rabbal Al-Amin.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    909 Post(s)

Look at the 7 conditioms of shahada

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    909 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Afzalsheikh View Post
    It is trust in the Unity of God or Tawheed. This is expressed in the primary Kalimah (Word) of Islam as: “Laa ilaaha illallaah", meaning: “There is no one worthy of worship but Allah.
    This includes rejecting the taghut

Any false God thats why we say there is no God
    You have to reject any false God
    In islam a taghut is
    Any one or thing that is worshipped
    Andyone that does the worshipping of orher than Allah
    Anyone who claims to see the unseen
    Anyone who rules by other the law of Allah
    And satan we have to reject and disbelieve all these things and only worship , believe and legislate by Allahs law the sharia then you are a muslim

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5057 Post(s)

Islam is not truer than other Religions.

Islam is the Only True/Legitimate Deen/Religion.

Allah عز و جل makes this explicitly clear.

If one believes there are other Religions than Islam which are True, valid, legitimate etc then they are not muslim.

The very definition of the word implies we submit to Allah عز و جل and his messenger صلى الله عليه و سلم

In the sight of Allah عز و جل there is only one Deen, Al-Islam, and it has always been Islam.

The one who doesn't believe in his/her testimony of faith, isn't a Muslim.

Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 09-11-17 at 11:55 PM.
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rahmat89 View Post
    There is not "truer" religion but the true religion did exist and it is Islam. I believe you are already a Muslimah. If you believe there is no god but Al-wahid (The one and only) and prophet Muhammad is the messenger of Allah then you already a Muslimah. Sahada is kind of declaration of your faith, Which is important to show the world that you are a true Muslimah.

May Allah guide you and give you the courage to show the world that you are a Muslimah. Amin Ya Rabbal Al-Amin.
    this thread was made well over a year ago in August 2016

I have been a Muslim for a year now Alhamdulillah.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

this thread was made well over a year ago in August 2016

I have been a Muslim for a year now Alhamdulillah.
    Alhamdulillah.. allahu akbar.