Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

Ask the mods a question

We've had ummah interviews, but what about mod interviews?

Just for fun, so be nice, ask the mods some questions and get a response. Are you curious about who is the youngest? Whether samin really is that grumpy, or if sajid ever thinks about shutting the forum down and going into an early retirement?

Ask away!

.....and hopefully you get an answer.

PS. Would you rather have a open thread like this for q&a or an interview style where each mod gets their own thread?
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

...said the spider to the fly...

Odan
    Mentioned
    587 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5350 Post(s)

Re: Ask the mods a question

Quote Originally Posted by Gegiroor View Post
    Ok basically put down a down payment, which is 250 posts, to get some features, . Ok I get it.

Now, how about if I make thread like shown below? Ok I gave up. It is your forum and I am a guest. And we all know guests can't demand on where they should be seated when they visit others' homes. Got it. Thanks! SMH

Suject: You win, I lose.

Body: until I reach 250 posts.
    Huh?

Just get to 250 posts and you'll have all the privileges.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

I am have 250 posts enchla and what I get?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

mod is all red color?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Quoted
    974 Post(s)

what does it feel like to be a mod?
    does someone in your family or friends know you're a mod here? if so, then how do they react to it?

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    701 Post(s)

I got some questions.

1) why can't you mods do anything right?

2) do you brag about being a mod I really life?

3) has the power gone to your Heads?

Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1713 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meentajir View Post
    what does it feel like to be a mod?
    does someone in your family or friends know you're a mod here? if so, then how do they react to it?
    I can only answer for myself.

Being a mod can be very gratifying when you get to instantly ban trolls that, as a regular user, we would have to wait to see banned.

At the same time though you get scrutinized far more often. You also sometimes get blamed for things you didn't do. So for instance let's say a user got banned for doing something, and I happened to be debating something with them, but it wasn't me that banned them, users that have no idea why that user was banned might then believe I banned them because I disagreed with them in a discussion. It will then be brought up in multiple places that I "abuse my power" and so on, and I can't do much about it. I don't typically ban people in debates I'm in unless the person said something very bad that forced me to. Or another examples is that something was changed, like a thread title, or a thread was moved to some other part of the forum, just the fact that I was participating in that thread might make the blame fall on me even though I didn't make that call.

Don't get me wrong this stuff doesn't hurt my feelings or anything, over the years on the internet I've developed some pretty toxic proof metal coating around my guts, even before joining Ummah.com (I had plenty of experience getting completely roasted on previous sites). But it's an example of what a mod might go through, it might not be for everyone.

Another example of scrutiny is when users dislike how I mod, even though I've always typically modded that way. I can't change myself for everyone, at the end I try to do my job as best as I can and we have information that others simply don't have, so when we make a call on something, especially if it's something big, usually we consult with each other beforehand. We don't typically disagree on why someone might have deserved a ban for instance.

Other times a user might have something deleted or get infracted, they think the mod hates them now. Or that I'm angry at them and specifically singled them out. The thing is I don't like having to do a lot of that stuff, but I have to do it to be fair a lot of the time. I have to explain to people sometimes how I don't have it in for them. You can't really have it in for other users as a mod easily, there are far, far too many cases to handle, when infractions/bans are handed out, it's just routine. We did it hundreds of times before, and I mean hundreds. It's not done because we hate that one user out of the hundreds we've had to deal with. So if someone gets infracted, chances are that simply the mod felt that what was said deserved it, so they give the infraction and move on without any ill feelings towards the user (unless it was a legit troll insulting the religion of course).

Lastly, mods are often privy to a whole other world behind the scenes, and we can get Alice in Wonderland type weirdness sometimes. Stuff you didn't think was possible, it's like when you end up in that weird part of youtube where you see these videos, odd randomness the normal mind typically cannot conjure. We get that sometimes and more. Odd behavior, often completely unexpected from users that seemed completely normal prior.

But do I like it? Yes. I used to wonder if what I'm doing here is of any benefit, so I asked a scholar and explained my position. He said if you're banning trolls and preventing some of the bad stuff that might happen, it's good. But it shouldn't take up all my time.

My wife knows I mod here, she doesn't mind it much but one has to limit their time on here to give the family their due attention as well.
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1713 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musicisme6565 View Post
    3) has the power gone to your Heads?
    Apart from the occasional random uncontrollable bouts of villainous laughter, I think I have it under control.
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    701 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by علي View Post
    Apart from the occasional random uncontrollable bouts of villainous laughter, I think I have it under control.
    Make sure the NSA don't hear that laugh

Odan
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    548 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ~Umar~ View Post
    Huh?

Just get to 250 posts and you'll have all the privileges.

Meanwhile, whenever someone quotes me, I will go through the torturous road of checking every section and every thread in order to find that comment. Brothers and sisters, please review the policy. I don't see how that is encouraging people to contribute to the forum or protecting the existing forum members. Thanks!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quoted
    955 Post(s)

@Pippin1376 on a scale of 0-10, how proficient are you in somali, 0 being none 10 being poet level?

Can you buranbuur?

Why are canadians passive aggressive?
    Allah sent down his tranquillity upon him and supported him with angels you did not see and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowest, while the word of Allah - that is the highest. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

ایک بار پکار کے تو دیکھو .mirror.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

^ Time for you to get a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by hadmatter View Post
    @Pippin1376 on a scale of 0-10, how proficient are you in somali, 0 being none 10 being poet level?

Can you buranbuur?

Why are canadians passive aggressive?
    Hmmm, I can read it fairly easily and when people talk I can somewhat understand them......Maybe 2 or 3?

I think answering the second question would be fitna.

We're passive aggressive? How so?
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    Surah al-Baqarah

Odan
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    548 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post

Hmmm, I can read it fairly easily and when people talk I can somewhat understand them......Maybe 2 or 3?

Buraanbur is the traditional way that Somali women used to convey their poetry. There is nothing fitna about it if you're using it to convey a good message. It is all about what you're trying to convey. And when they do it, it is done around women.

If you can create a poem in English while the message is one that benefits you or the community, you can do buraanbur provided you're poet and speak the language.

Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gegiroor View Post
    Buraanbur is the traditional way that Somali women used to convey their poetry. There is nothing fitna about it if you're using it to convey a good message. It is all about what you're trying to convey. And when they do it, it is done around women.

If you can create a poem in English while the message is one that benefits you or the community, you can do buraanbur provided you're poet and speak the language.

I see I failed at another joke. I'll see myself out.

Surah al-Baqarah

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quoted
    955 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post

people who live in cold weather tend to be passive aggressive. They mask everything under a polite tone while feeling burning rage or annoyance.
    Allah sent down his tranquillity upon him and supported him with angels you did not see and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowest, while the word of Allah - that is the highest. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    946 Post(s)

why dont u help me in the user help section? do u think ur prestifge
    Narrated by Anas ibn Malik RA: Allah's Messenger said. "When a woman observes the five times of prayer, fasts during Ramadan, preserves her chastity and obeys her husband, she may enter by any of the gates of Paradise she wishes."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    537 Post(s)

@علي

Is the cross/Christian symbols and kaafir religions allowed to be promoted through profile pictures, signatures etc? Why is this guy allowed to use Pope's picture? This is an Islamic forum, there should be no room for this whatsoever. He's been around since 2009, not sure how long he has had that pic up.
    Last edited by ابن مرة; 24-07-16 at 12:26 PM.
    اللهم يا مقلب القلوب ثبت قلبي على دينك

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)

1. When will you hold your next prize thread?

2. How many people in real life know you're on here (as a poster/mod/user/etc.) -numbers only.

3. When was the last time you were on holiday abroad?
    Pray. Fast. Zakat. Pilgrimage. Allah.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2864 Post(s)

Out of the mods who are th UF addicts lol?

Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2087 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Mualim View Post

2. How many people in real life know you're on here (as a poster/mod/user/etc.) -numbers only.

Overdue a Prize lets do one maybe next weekend inshallah if anyones up for it??

Odan
    Mentioned
    587 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5350 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sajid View Post
    Overdue a Prize lets do one maybe next weekend inshallah if anyones up for it??
    Do the question thing you done last year.

Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2087 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ~Umar~ View Post
    Do the question thing you done last year.
    Yup sounds good

Decide on the prizes and will sort something out (Can be voucher./cash prizes)

Odan
    Mentioned
    587 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5350 Post(s)

Yup sounds good

Yep same as last year then

Oh never saw the below part!

6 Prizes: 2 Vouchers for amazon, 2 prem membership, 2 rep related ones
    Last edited by ~Umar~; 26-07-16 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)

Yup sounds good

Vouchers: Amazon - £/$/€ (30/20/10)
    and 3-5 premium membership for runners ups.
    Pray. Fast. Zakat. Pilgrimage. Allah.

Mentioned
    723 Post(s)
    Quoted
    953 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Mualim View Post

1. Sajid is the 'game show host' for these sorts of things.

2. One, which was completely by human error of leaving my laptop open when unattended. But they don't know my username alhamdulillah.

3. Never been. I hope to change that soon.
    ⚔ Even in death may you be triumphant ⚔
    U.F Sadaqah Jariyah Project

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Can you list the mods in order of their longevity as mods on the forum? I know the newest sister is .hajar.

Odan
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2075 Post(s)

Why do some mods have different coloured names?

Who is the eldest/youngest mod?

Why isn't
    @Abu 'Abdullaah a mod?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1144 Post(s)

Do mods read everyone's reps and PMs?

Why do some members have pink usernames?

Odan
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2075 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post

I would absolutely detest having a 'Pink' username.

I think it's for the sisters who are verified and have access to the Sisters section.

And I would think the mods have the power to read anyone's reps/PMs.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1144 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indefinable View Post
    I would absolutely detest having a 'Pink' username.

I think it's for the sisters who are verified and have access to the Sisters section.

And I would think the mods have the power to read anyone's reps/PMs.
    Ah, I see.

I know they have the power to read reps, but the question is, do they read all the reps/PMs?

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Whichever mod reads this question first - which Mod is your favourite?

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Do Mods come in two's? If you buy one, do you get one free?

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

Do u guys ban people for fun?
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

abu sab'a
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3300 Post(s)

talk about random questions. lets get down to the real issue here

mods who do you most want to slap on here?

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonameakhi View Post

i can choose some
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Mentioned
    648 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7990 Post(s)

Am I a 'good' member or a 'troubled' member? Bear in mind I have never been banned before. So I'm just wondering where do I stand?

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2088 Post(s)

Do Mods register as silly members and post silly threads sometimes?

Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rifqah View Post
    Can you list the mods in order of their longevity as mods on the forum? I know the newest sister is .hajar.
    Um...Sajid is the oldest and Hajar is the newest one.

Quote Originally Posted by Indefinable View Post
    Why do some mods have different coloured names?

Who is the eldest/youngest mod?

Why isn't
    @Abu 'Abdullaah a mod?
    Abu Abdullah runs the Soapbox. He's a mod there...

Who is the eldest? I think Te'oma might have been (May Allah protect him and his family. Ameen), but Abu Mubarak is a grandpa and he's active so I'll go with him. As for youngest, I think Meri would be.

If you're a mod you can become red, but I prefer black....because once you go black...

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyniqabi View Post

Mods can read everyone's rep, but unless there's a need (like a rep was reported) then we generally don't spend our times snooping in places that we don't need to. As for PMs, I think only admins can but once again they don't unless there's a need.

Pink usernames = members of the sis section

Whichever mod reads this question first - which Mod is your favourite?
    I don't have a favourite

Do Mods come in two's? If you buy one, do you get one free?
    I don't know about that....

Quote Originally Posted by RaNdOm View Post
    Do u guys ban people for fun?
    I don't really like banning people unless there's a need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by nonameakhi View Post

The better question is who do I want to not slap...amirite?

I'm just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Morose View Post
    Am I a 'good' member or a 'troubled' member? Bear in mind I have never been banned before. So I'm just wondering where do I stand?
    I don't know? You're you and that's all that matters.

Do Mods register as silly members and post silly threads sometimes?
    I don't know.

Surah al-Baqarah

Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Quoted
    909 Post(s)

yes to all above questions
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History

ایک بار پکار کے تو دیکھو .mirror.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

What's for dinner?
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎