Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Hijab Fard?

Question Is Hijab Fard?

People mentioned that Hijab was fard in Islam. I disagree. They mentioned a verse from the Qu'ran. Please post it so we can discuss it.

Thanks,
    Rp

THE VEIL IN ISLAM

By Dr. Gibril F. Haddad
    as appeared in The Muslim Magazine Fall 1999 issue.

"O children of Adam, we have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury. But the best garment is the garment of righteousness. These are some of Allah’s signs, that they may take heed." [7:26]

Today we find the Muslim community most divided on one subject: the veil or hijab. Despite the clear rulings of Sharia on this subject, many people claim that the order for women to cover all but their faces and hands is not found in Islam.

In this brief treatment, we will cite proofs from the source texts of Islamic jurisprudence (fiqh) from which the obligation of veiling is derived.

The Arabic word for "veiling" is hijab. Lexically it means "cover", and in Islam it means two things:

Woman's clothing such as the head-to-toe garment specifically called jilbab and khimar.

Separation of the places where men and women respectively congregate.

Obligation of Hijab as Stated in Qur'an

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (jalabib) close round them (when they go abroad)..." (33:59)

Ibn Rushd in Bidaya al-Mujtahid (1:83) said that this verse has been adduced as proof that no part of a woman's body should be evident to those who are not among the prohibited degrees of relationship (mahram) or her husband. Al-Qurtubi in his commentary on the verse said that the jilbab is the cloak that conceals all of the body including the head.

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms..." (24:31) "…only that which is apparent" applies to women’s face and hands.

"... And when you ask of them (the wives of the Prophet) anything, ask it of them from behind a veil. . ." (33:53) Al-Qurtubi said in commentary of this verse: "The consensus of Muslims is that the genitals and backside constitute nakedness for men and women, as well as all of woman except her face and hands, but some disagreed about the latter two." This means the consensus of Muslims included them in the definition of her nakedness based on verse 33:59 and the hadith cited below.

Obligation of Hijab as Stated in Hadith

Among proofs for the veil in the Sunna are the following authentic hadiths (traditional reports) of the Prophet – (s):

"Ayesha (r) reported that Asma’ the daughter of Abu Bakr (r) came to the Messenger of Allah (s) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asma’! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." [Abu Dawud]

Ibn Qudama in al-Mughni (1:349) explained that showing the face and hands are a specific dispensation within the general meaning of the hadith "All of the woman’s body is considered her nakedness [to those outside the mahram relationship or her husband]." (al-mar'atu `awra)

`Ayesha (r) said: "I used to enter the room where the Messenger of Allah (s) and my father (Abu Bakr) were later buried in without having my garment on me, saying it is only my husband and my father. But when 'Umar ibn Al-Khattab (r) was later buried in (the same place), I did not enter the room except that I had my garment on being shy from 'Umar."

The Prophet's specification to Umm Salama that women should also cover their feet in prayer, narrated in the Sunan. This included the feet into the definition of her legal nakedness. "Women who are clothed but (at the same time) naked , turning their heads sideways this way and that like the humps of the camel, shall never enter Paradise nor even smell its fragrance."

The jurists have divided woman's nakedness into two categories:

• Lesser nakedness (`awra mukhaffafa): the face, hands, head, neck, forearms, feet, torso and back.
    • Greater nakedness (`awra mughallaza): all of her body except the above parts.
    `Ayesha’s (ra) strictness on the question is a well known saying, "When a woman reaches puberty she must cover whatever her mother and grandmother must cover." A woman's covering (al-khimar) is defined by `Ayesha as "nothing short of what covers both the hair and skin." (innama al-khimaru ma wara al-sha`r wa al-bashar).

Covering the Face The khimar (pl. khumur) actually refers to the head covering, so that a better translation of 24:31 would be: "and to draw their headcovers (khumurihinna) over their bosoms..." (24:31)

It is essential to understand the two interpretations of the command to "draw their headcovers over" among the women of the Companions and the generation that immediately succeeded them, on which are based the two views of the Four Schools, namely, cover everything or expose only the face and hands:

Some women drew from the top down, some from the sides and over. The result for the first category was to cover the face, while the second category left the face uncovered according to one's own discretion.

Following are two hadiths that illustrate the use of the khimar (face-veil) applied by women Companions of the verse quoted above.

Abu Hurayra gave the following account of his mother's conversion: I came to the Prophet - Allah bless and greet him -- weeping one day and said: "O Messenger of Allah, I have been inviting my mother to Islam and she has been refusing. Today I asked her again, and she said something about you which I hated to hear. Ask Allah to guide Abu Hurayra's mother!" Whereupon the Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- said: "O Allah! Guide Abu Hurayra's mother." Then I returned home cheered up by the Prophet's -- Allah bless and greet him -- supplication. When I arrived at the door of the house I found it closed. Hearing my footsteps, my mother said: "Abu Hurayra, do not come in yet." I could hear the sound of water. She washed herself and wore her robe (dir') and headcover (khimâr) then she opened the door and said: "Abu Hurayra! I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah's servant and messenger!" I returned at once to the Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him --, weeping for joy, and said to him: "O Messenger of Allah, good news! Allah has answered your request and guided my mother!" He glorified and praised Allah, thanking Him and saying good things. I said: "O Messenger of Allah! Ask Allah that He make me and my mother beloved to his believing servants and that He make them beloved to us." The Prophet – Allah bless and greet him -- said: "O Allah! Make Your little servant (here meaning Abu Hurayra) and his mother beloved to Your believing servants, and make the believers beloved to the two of them." Not one believer is brought into existence who hears about me without seeing me except he loves me.

Ayesha said: "By Allah, I never saw any women better than the women of the Ansar (i.e. the women of Madina) or stronger in their confirmation of Allah's Book! When Sura al-Nur was revealed -- "and to draw their 'khumur' over their bosoms" (24:31) -- their men went back to them reciting to them what Allah had revealed to them, each man reciting it to his wife, daughter, sister, and relative. Not one woman among them remained except she got up on the spot, tore up her waist-wrap and covered herself from head-to-toe (i`jtajarat) with it. They prayed the very next dawn prayer covered from head to toe (mu`tajirat)."

And Allah knows best.

Dr. Haddad has authored and co-authored more than 12 books on Islamic jurisprudence and is currently completing his dissertation in Damascus. This article appears as a courtesy of The Muslim Magazine. All rights reserved by The Muslim Magazine.

you got served RP...lol
    Maybe self-improvement isn't the answer.... Maybe self-destruction is the answer.

Asalamu alaykum,

Just to mention regarding covering the face, the mashur / popular opinion in all four Madhabs as far as I know is that the face is not awrah. However, according to the scholars of the Hanafi madhab, if there is fear of fitna it becomes wajib for the sister to cover her face [and I think this is the case with Shafi'i ulema]. I recently read that the Malikis would consider it merely recommended to do so in such a case.

And Allah knows best.

p.s.

I remember Sh. Abdallah bin Bayyah mentioning in one of his talks in the Legal Philosophy of Islam a narration from Rasul Allah salallahu alayhi wasalam's last pilgrimage where a young woman came to ask the Prophet salallahu alayhi wasalam a question and one of the sahaba sitting next to him started staring at her at which point he, salallahu alayhi wasalam ,pushed his face to the side [as opposed to telling the woman to cover her face]. I believe he was referring to the following Sahih Hadith from al-Bukhari (2:589):

Narrated `Abdullah bin `Abbas :

Al-Fadl (his brother) was riding behind Allah's Apostle (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) and a woman from the tribe of Khath'am came and Al-Fadl started looking at her and she started looking at him. The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) turned Al-Fadl's face to the other side. The woman said, "O Allah's Apostle! The obligation of Hajj enjoined by Allah on His devotees has become due on my father and he is old and weak, and he cannot sit firm on the Mount; may I perform Hajj on his behalf?" The Prophet replied, "Yes, you may." That happened during the Hajj-al-Wida (of the Prophet ).
    Last edited by faqir; 15-12-04 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThE aPpReNtIcE
    you got served RP...lol
    Yeah make fun of the librel.

Anyway it is immpossible for me to answer that whole post. I saw 6 quranic verses there which are the heart and soul of any Islami disscussions. I'll focus on those. Please people give me chance to respond.

lol...ok ok
    Maybe self-improvement isn't the answer.... Maybe self-destruction is the answer.

I doubt any new information has suddenly come to light... and I doubt that the modernist's arguments which you are likely to repeat have not already been ripped apart [in an intellectual and polite manner of course] by the Ulema.

"O children of Adam, we have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury. But the best garment is the garment of righteousness. These are some of Allah’s signs, that they may take heed." [7:26]

This verse is adressed to man kind in genral and if you say this applies for Hijab then it also applies to men.

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (jalabib) close round them (when they go abroad)..." (33:59)

This concerns modesty. Women who don't where the Hijab can still be modest.

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms..." (24:31) "

"only what is apparent", why does it have to mean only hands. This also translates to genral modesty and in the later part specifies the bossom.

"... And when you ask of them (the wives of the Prophet) anything, ask it of them from behind a veil. . ."

The wives of the Prophet. We are not the Prophet. The Prophet himself and his wives had a special status. They were required to do thing we were forbidden and forbidden some we were reccomended. Both to show the diffrence between fard and sunat, and to show their special statues.

is STILL mawliding*joy*:D Chained_Water's Avatar
    Am I the only one that is getting tired of this users threads?..

when there is fatwa after fatwa giving CLEAR answers and this is not stuff disputed amongst the ulema (apart from difference in opinion on whether hands and face should be covered.. but everything apart from hands and face is *bare* minimum and that is AGREED)

I just want to know what the intention is behind these threads.

When Allah(swt) and His Prophet(swt) decide on a matter there is NO room for disagreement or opinion..

are you unclear as to whether or not Allah(swt) commanded hijaab and whether the sunnah of the Prophet(saw) clearly demonstrated what is fardh?

or do you just want to disagree cuz it doens't suit your self declared image as a "liberal"?

what are you trying to do?
    what are you trying to achieve?

The Qur'an is understood through the Prophet salallahu alayhi wasalam. As for your interpretation, it is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by RisingPhoinex

This concerns modesty. Women who don't where the Hijab can still be modest.
    what does that comment mean?!

who defines modesty? you?

and when it clearly commands to wrap their cloakcs all around their bodies so as to cover them.. why are you ignoring that and replying with "this concerns modesty"

OF COURSE IT DOES!

that is why Allah(swt) has said in that verse tell them to cover themselves when they go out.

Quote Originally Posted by faqir
    I doubt any new information has suddenly come to light... and I doubt that the modernist's arguments which you are likely to repeat have not already been ripped apart [in an intellectual and polite manner of course] by the Ulema.
    You always speek of some farr off discussion. If it so simple why can't you seem to materalize them in the here an now.

thank u sis Chained lol..

The Qur'an is understood through the Prophet salallahu alayhi wasalam. As for your interpretation, it is incorrect.
    I agree that the Qu'ran should be understoof in the light of the Sunat. Then why amI wrong.

I think the article bro faqir posted explains EVERYTHING sufficiently and gives enough daleel to prove your opinion WRONG.

There are PLENTY of threads that go through this on ummah.. very long, detailed ones, full of information.. go and LEARN and READ first.. then come back

I agree that the Qu'ran should be understoof in the light of the Sunat. Then why amI wrong.
    From bro faqirs post..

Obligation of Hijab as Stated in Hadith

Among proofs for the veil in the Sunna are the following authentic hadiths (traditional reports) of the Prophet – (s):

"Ayesha (r) reported that Asma’ the daughter of Abu Bakr (r) came to the Messenger of Allah (s) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asma’! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." [Abu Dawud]

Ibn Qudama in al-Mughni (1:349) explained that showing the face and hands are a specific dispensation within the general meaning of the hadith "All of the woman’s body is considered her nakedness [to those outside the mahram relationship or her husband]." (al-mar'atu `awra)

`Ayesha (r) said: "I used to enter the room where the Messenger of Allah (s) and my father (Abu Bakr) were later buried in without having my garment on me, saying it is only my husband and my father. But when 'Umar ibn Al-Khattab (r) was later buried in (the same place), I did not enter the room except that I had my garment on being shy from 'Umar."

The Prophet's specification to Umm Salama that women should also cover their feet in prayer, narrated in the Sunan. This included the feet into the definition of her legal nakedness. "Women who are clothed but (at the same time) naked , turning their heads sideways this way and that like the humps of the camel, shall never enter Paradise nor even smell its fragrance."

The jurists have divided woman's nakedness into two categories:

• Lesser nakedness (`awra mukhaffafa): the face, hands, head, neck, forearms, feet, torso and back.
    • Greater nakedness (`awra mughallaza): all of her body except the above parts.
    `Ayesha’s (ra) strictness on the question is a well known saying, "When a woman reaches puberty she must cover whatever her mother and grandmother must cover." A woman's covering (al-khimar) is defined by `Ayesha as "nothing short of what covers both the hair and skin." (innama al-khimaru ma wara al-sha`r wa al-bashar).
    go ahead and try to refute the Prophet(saw)'s sunnah as reported by his wives(ra) and his companions(ra) and authenticated and verified thoroughly!

READ then come back and speak

I really think bro faqir posted enough, mashAllah.

and there is enough on this forum discussing this.. if there is a specific aspect someone doesn't understand or issue someone has with something that.. then OK

but for a user to join the forum and do nothing but quetsion CLEAR things in Islam and try to tell us haraam is halaal.. NO, that does not sit well with me or seem to be of any benefit.. be warned I'm not going to let this span across pages and pages of ignorant tripe like that dating thread, if it gets too bad and useless, it's going bye-bye.

ooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Chained_Water
    Am I the only one that is getting tired of this users threads?..

when there is fatwa after fatwa giving CLEAR answers and this is not stuff disputed amongst the ulema (apart from difference in opinion on whether hands and face should be covered.. but everything apart from hands and face is *bare* minimum and that is AGREED)

I just want to know what the intention is behind these threads.

When Allah(swt) and His Prophet(swt) decide on a matter there is NO room for disagreement or opinion..

are you unclear as to whether or not Allah(swt) commanded hijaab and whether the sunnah of the Prophet(saw) clearly demonstrated what is fardh?

or do you just want to disagree cuz it doens't suit your self declared image as a "liberal"?

what are you trying to do?
    what are you trying to achieve?
    Are you really tired of me? Good, that means the hunt is amost at an end. Just a joke. However I'm not leaving and since your soooo tired why don't you not read my posts?

Secondly I don't believe in fatwas because that is precicley what leads to the Christian doctrine of intermediaries between God and man. I'm the one who has to answer to God for me not the Mullanah who issue the Fatwah.

Thirdly My intention is to gain knowledge, correct my mistakes and in the process share what I think is right in me.

You again brought up the point. I showed that the Qu'ran doesn't exactly say it is haram. That is the whole point of the thread.

Don't give me that libral bill$%$%$. I was joking. You know laughter. I'm moderate and I think that is my relegions beuty.

You always speek of some farr off discussion. If it so simple why can't you seem to materalize them in the here an now.
    I have a life away from this forum and would rather not waste my time discussing something which has been discussed to death in the past.

The point is that we will not come to agreement unless we are in agreeement with certain fundamentals:

1) Belief in Allah
    2) Belief that the Qur'an is the Word of Allah
    3) Belief that the Qur'an was revealed through the Messenger of Allah [the seal of the Prophets] who came to explain the Qur'an - the final revelation from our Lord.
    4) An understanding that we are to follow both the Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah
    5) An understanding that the derivation of an Islamic ruling in terms of our actions from the Qur'an and the Sunnah requires a certain expertise and knowledge that I gaurantee nobody on this forum [myself first and foremost] will possess - if you would like details let me know or alternatively read http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/ahm/newmadhh.htm

Wasalam.
    Last edited by faqir; 15-12-04 at 11:28 PM.

you don't believe in fatwa's?!
    you don't believe in legal rulings from those with FAR more knowledge than any of us.. you don't believe in basing decisions about what is right and wrong on Quran and sunnah?!

so you get your legal rulings from yourself?

subhanAllah

how, from who and what exactly are you going to gain knowledge from if the most valid opinions in your eyes are those of your own ego and not those of the scholars of Islam?

so do you reject or accept the sunnah? do you reject or accept authentic hadiths and reports? do you accept or reject COMMANDS from the Quran? do you reject or accept the rulings of the scholars of Islam (who have all agreed that at a bare minimum, everything apart from hands and face should be covered), from 1400 years ago until the scholars of today?

22. 15-12-04, 11:29 PM
    Reason
    bro pointed out error, I corrected it.. so removing post now

what does that comment mean?!

who defines modesty? you?

and when it clearly commands to wrap their cloakcs all around their bodies so as to cover them.. why are you ignoring that and replying with "this concerns modesty"

OF COURSE IT DOES!

that is why Allah(swt) has said in that verse tell them to cover themselves when they go out.

It means just what its say cove your self. No I don't define modesty the Qu'ran does and the Sunat but they have to be taken in context. There was alos an incident where and adultress came to the Prophet three times for her punishment and he put it off. Does this mean that the Sunat takes presidence over the Qu'ran. Of course not. Like I said you must take things in context.

Another example most Muslims would agree that God is eternal but in the Qu'ran it gives a figure that states God's days are equal to blank number of human days. I believe God to be free of time. Am I a heratic? These thing are given so we may gauge the magnifeccence of God not so we try to measure him.

Yes I think a women should cover themselves but your the one trying to say that scripture tell us that includes the head. The Qu'ran also defines the Perfect society are we then sinning by not living in it. In the same way the Qu'ran gives an image of Perfect modesty but we don't sin by not living in it. The same way the Qu'ran gives some neccesarry precepts that if we don't follow we sin. In the area of modesty the Qu'ran has provided neccesary and optional precepts. You mentioned the little girl and the Prophet. Well that's a sunat not the Qr'uran. Against popular belief they are not equal.

Lightbulb

you don't believe in fatwa's?!
    you don't believe in legal rulings from those with FAR more knowledge than any of us.. you don't believe in basing decisions about what is right and wrong on Quran and sunnah?!

so you get your legal rulings from yourself?

subhanAllah

how, from who and what exactly are you going to gain knowledge from if the most valid opinions in your eyes are those of your own ego and not those of the scholars of Islam?

so do you reject or accept the sunnah? do you reject or accept authentic hadiths and reports? do you accept or reject COMMANDS from the Quran? do you reject or accept the rulings of the scholars of Islam (who have all agreed that at a bare minimum, everything apart from hands and face should be covered), from 1400 years ago until the scholars of today?
    Instead of answering your false assosiations between the Scriptures and fatwahs, I'll just list my beliefs. (But did you happen to read why I don't believe in Fatwahy? Anyway.)

I believe in the Qu'ran, secondly Hadiths (though I recognize the chance that they all may noy be authentic), Thirdly in my own mind. Everything else in minimul< Within the Qu'ran it tells us to believe in te Prophet. Within the Qu'ran it tell us to use our reason. Therefore I believe in these three things and if I am bad Muslim in anybody's eyes except God for my beliefs, than so be it.

Lightbulb

I have a life away from this forum and would rather not waste my time discussing something which has been discussed to death in the past.

The point is that we will not come to agreement unless we are in agreeement with certain fundamentals:

1) Belief in Allah
    2) Belief that the Qur'an is the Word of Allah
    3) Belief that the Qur'an was revealed through the Messenger of Allah [the seal of the Prophets] who came to explain the Qur'an - the final revelation from our Lord.
    4) An understanding that we are to follow both the Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah
    5) An understanding that the derivation of an Islamic ruling in terms of our actions from the Qur'an and the Sunnah requires a certain expertise and knowledge that I gaurantee nobody on this forum [myself first and foremost] will possess - if you would like details let me know or alternatively read http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/ahm/newmadhh.htm

Wasalam.
    I agree with everything completly except for 5. As I said ultimatly it is the individual who has to answer to God. I am willing to consider the oppinions of shoclars wit respect but they are not hard fact. We are called to gain knowledge and those who would blindly take fatwas and believe are no better than the Catholics and their Magesterium.

Rising Phoenix, [isn't that some dead Hollywood star?] for starters, might I ask what knowledge you have of the language of Revelation?

Also, whilst you are at it maybe you can tell me why only a select few of the Sahaba issued legal edicts?

Rising Phoenix, [isn't that some dead Hollywood star?] for starters, might I ask what knowledge you have of the language of Revelation?
    Hollywood star?

Admitadly none whatsoever. That is eaxctly why I have four diffrent translations ine English and two in Urdu. So that I can get the true gist of the message. Plus I have an English one translated by a former Jewish, Muslim (MAshaallah). He has philosophical, Biblical, linguistics, and all sorts of other things in it. You can really get imnto studying the Qu'ran from that translation. Anyway sorry to get of on a tangent but I knew the argument you are trying to make and I want to assure you I do my best to find the most diverse translations that I can and do my best to understand the orignal. Also I am currently trying to find a source to learn the language of the Heavens.

riiiiiiiiiiiiight... okay Akhi, may advice to you would be to read through the article I have linked above and also http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/nuh/madhhabstlk.htm and other related articles on the masud site.

Good night.

Wasalam.

look a new avatar! ponderingstar's Avatar
    i absolutely hate to be making treaties with this new upstart (*ahem*j/k) but i came to this forum with some similar views on hijab. There is room for discussion. don't bite his head off. I have decided to stay silent on issues that i am not sure about and that do not make sense to me or those that will offend people until i gain enough information about them. That's what i have decided (since a rather recent unpleasant bashing incident i think we are aware of). It would be better to explain these things with a calmness and rationale. There are a few people who are just intrigued by how exactly the hadith were collected and there are a few conflicting evidences on the subject. I will not go around seeking information in public on this forum as its not a pleasant task. instead i will request info from people by PMing them and hope they will answer and read and study and learn and hopefully understand what is happening and why. I have already learnt quite a lot more about my religion than i thought i would in such a small amount of time. if we ostracise the people who have similar questions we'll just go off and do our own thing, isolated and alone, maybe in a group and then we'll become one of those prophesized off shoots etc. just be patient with the kid. HE's not living his life to pee you off. (although young man! it can seem like it ) heh heh
    Please Re-update your Signature

::eek::

riiiiiiiiiiiiight... okay Akhi, may advice to you would be to read through the article I have linked above and also http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/nuh/madhhabstlk.htm and other related articles on the masud site.

Good night.

Wasalam.
    Sorry If you'd like to give me a sumirization 'd love to hear it but that thing is a monster. On a closing note I have to main reasons not believing in Fatwas.

1. I am going to answer to God not the person who issues the Fatwah
    2. Believing in Fatwahs and the like is what caused Cathalocism to believe in the doctrine of the MAgesterium, which ultimatly gave rise to the fall of reason and Trinitarianism. The trinity is a prime example of what happens whne a relegion loses its balance between faith an reason. Have you ever tried to talk yo a Christian about relegion? They will tell you the Trinity is a uncomprehesible yet true mystery. taking a fatwah is the same thing to me. I can't do it. I care to much about my soul.

lol that was river phoenix...

I am sooo not touching this because if a person wont take from scholars, wont agree to quran, wont take the hadiths then one is unwilling to learn about Islam as this is where we get our understanding of Islam...

soooo as I am sure many know I could break this down in many ways he would never take from anything I am going to say... so hope one of you gets through to him but i will take the low ground this time around...

yeap yeap!!!

look a new avatar! ponderingstar's Avatar
    yeah i suppose i agree too...

especially sincce he got my name worng on the other thread.

Muslims must wear the hijab because Allah, Glorified and Exalted be He, ordered it. Muslims have two sources for guidance. The first and most important source is Qur'an, the revealed word of Allah, Glorified and Exalted be He. They may then use Hadith which is the sayings and traditions of the Prophet Muhammad, blessings and peace be upon his noble soul, who was chosen by Allah, Glorified and Exalted be He, to be a role model for mankind.

Here are four passages from the Qur'an that order the hijab.

• "O Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts, etc.) and as an adornment. But the raiment of righteousness, that is better" Quran 7:26
    • "O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." (Qur'an 33:59)

• "Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah (swt) is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty to their husbands..." (Qur'an 24:30-31)

• “O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59)
    All muslim adults are supposed to wear the appropriate hijab for their sex. This is one Hadith related by Abu Dawood: "Ayesha(r) reported that Asmaa bint Abu Bakr(r) came to the Messenger of Allah(swt) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this.' He pointed to the face and hands."

Remember to follow the Example of Prophet Muhammad, blessings and peace be upon his noble soul, for his guidance and pattern of life is an essential component of the perfect life:

" Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah a beautiful pattern (of conduct) for any one whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the Praise of Allah. " Quran 33:21

As I chomp on a banana, I yearn. We desire so much, yet our darts fall away from the centre mark, simply because of the fact that our intent is incorrect. What we should strive for is pleasing Allah, Glorified and Exalted be He, for only this belief can grant us true happiness over any aspect, any barrier, or any tribulation. Islam, and the desire to please one's Creator, Allah - is the answer to every question on the examination-paper of life.

Please read my thread on the Hijab; it should be enlightening for a learning mind, insha'Allah: [http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42103].

Walaykam as-salaam,
    Tahsin.
    Last edited by Abdullah al-Muhajir; 16-12-04 at 05:57 AM.

Hijab - the Light
    By Sister Sumayyah Joan, a convert to Islam. Originally published in Resalah, December 1999

It will be three years ago, this December 25th, that I stood before two Muslim sisters and declared openly my belief in Allah and His Messenger, Sallallahu-‘Alaihi Was-Sallam, and thus freeing and liberating myself from my former self-imposed bondage. Stepping out of the darkness of disbelief into the light of Islam, it’s funny that I found such freedom in the very thing that was keeping me from Islam in the first place; the hijab. Even though I get the wide gamut of strange stares, points, and comments, this covering makes me feel honored, safe, and cherished.

The word hijab comes from the Arabic word "hajaba" meaning to hide from view or to conceal their beauty in this society and do not give in to its oppressive system, are looked upon as invisible, without sexuality, and backward. Because I’m often mistaken for a nun, a terrorist, who may be hiding Allah knows what’s under all that stuff, or the poster-child for oppressed womanhood everywhere, I feel the reactions to the hijab for many women, is the truest test of being a Muslim. In instructing us to wear the hijab, Allah has given Muslim women what they can bear of injunctions and obligations. For Allah says,

"And we do not lay on any soul a burden except to the extent of it’s ability, and with Us is a Book which speaks the truth, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly." Quran 23:62

Unfortunately, Satan and his cohorts are calling the Muslim woman to enslave her to the creation, and to forget about her servitude to her Creator. Chastity, modesty, and piety are deceptively marked as shackles on personal freedom. Allah warns the believers that they should not let Satan deceive them, as he deceived their parents, Adam and Eve. Under the guises of fashion, culture, and modernism, however, Satan has succeeded and is succeeding to lead the Muslim woman into immodesty.

From the dawn of civilization, flowing dresses and headscarves has always been associated with "Godliness" or "God consciousness". Even the Christian pictorial representation of the earlier prophets and their womenfolk bear familiar likeness to the dress ordained for Muslim men and women. This tradition of modesty is reflected in the Qur’an, wherein Allah says,

"O Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts, etc.) and as an adornment. But the raiment of righteousness, that is better" Quran 7:26

But since the heyday of feminist movement, there has been an increasing amount of scrutiny placed on the dress and status of Muslim women. According to these "liberated" women, the hijab not only covers the head, but also covers the mind, will, and intellect. They say that our dress code is outdated and oppressive, and it stops us from being productive human beings. They speak out of ignorance when they say that our hijab does not belong in these modern times, when due to the constant decrease in moral values in the world today, circumstances make the hijab even more necessary. More than ever before, sex crimes are rampant and "liberated women" in the larder society now face increasing higher chances of being raped or sexually harassed. The Federal Government conducted research in which they found that in America, a rape is committed every six minutes.

The women, who uncover their beauty and show off their bodies and made-up faces for all to enjoy, expose themselves to be harmed by wolves in human clothing. Allah enjoined hijab on the Muslim woman to protect her from harm. He knows his creation, and knows that when women make a dazzling display of themselves, with immodest clothes, perfumed bodies and made-up faces, it serves to increase the sexual deviance of the overall society. Many of those who are misguided would have us thing though that the hijab is a portable prison that restricts our minds, lives, and hearts. It is none of these things, and in order not to fall victim to their plots, we must begin to understand what the hijab truly is.

Thank you for your post Abu Sabr. It was informative.

I realie that Hijab is beutiful. I also realize that it doesn't have to do with personel freedom. I agree that if a women chooses to do it, she is going to be blessed by God (Inshallah). I'm not disagreeing with th beuty og the Hijab. I'm just saying that women who choose not to cover their heads should not be persecuted because it is their choice. Hijab is exactly that a choice.

Again People have mentioned that i won't accept anything as proof. Again they show their frustration. None of the mentione Qu'ran verses said that women had to cover their heads. They all were just telling women and human kind in genral to be modest and I full accept that. What I don't accept is extremist interpereting these verses to include Hijab. Because forcing a women spiritualy or physicly to wear Hijab is wrong.

Thirdly, most importantly, Ponderingstar, I'm not a saviour and Thank You for your post about alienating people. I'm just a guy at my computer who disagrees with the majority of his fellow Muslims and wants to know why they feel the way they do. Sorry for caring so much about your oppinion, ChainedWater.

so you admit that your views are not based upon anything islam, just your views

and i hope you realize that islam is not about phenix's feelings, nor his thoughts or opinions

so when you go away, dont say how muslims arent agreeing with you, its you who disagree with islam, because islam is based upon the words of Allah and the guidance of the messenger of Allah, and you obviously dont give a fig about either of those

so just to be clear, your views are of kufr, denial, and they are no where near islamic

so if you are going to be one of those people walking around and say how muslim women dont have to wear hijab, realize that is a statement of kufr

have a nice day
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMubarak
    so you admit that your views are not based upon anything islam, just your views

and i hope you realize that islam is not about phenix's feelings, nor his thoughts or opinions

so when you go away, dont say how muslims arent agreeing with you, its you who disagree with islam, because islam is based upon the words of Allah and the guidance of the messenger of Allah, and you obviously dont give a fig about either of those

so just to be clear, your views are of kufr, denial, and they are no where near islamic

so if you are going to be one of those people walking around and say how muslim women dont have to wear hijab, realize that is a statement of kufr

have a nice day
    Yeah, I conceded this poin when. I do believe my point to be valid. Just to be clear, for your understanding. I BELIEVE MY VIEWS TO BE ISLAMIC. Was that clear.

I agree that Islam is not about oppinions but about God's word. Well guess what up to know I've only seen Hadith about the Hijab all the Qu'ranic verses had nothing to do with Hijab but with modesty. Remember moderation. So because you only offered Hadith you can rightly call Hijab a Sunat but not a fard.

AGAIN TO MAKE IT CLEAR, I DID NOT CONCEDE TO ANYTHING. I STILL BELIEVE MY VIEWS TO BE ISLAMIC. I do believe Abu Mubarak, that Iv'e worn you down, now your halucinating.

on what planet are they islamic?

you disagree with what Allah says
    you disagree with what the prophet said
    you disagree with what the companions said
    you disagree with what the scholar said

so these are the basis's of our beliefs

so what islamic about your belief, other than you claim to be a follower of islam?
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد