Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 69 of 69
  1. #1
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Is homeschooling hard?

    Salam

    Ok so I've been thinking about homeschooling for a while now as my eldest is approaching school age. State school for me is a big no no, would have liked to send to an Islamic school but I may potentially be a single mum and obv won't have the finances. Plus, a lot of Islamic school teachers are not qualified, so surely I can teach just as well as them?!

    But, is it hard...obviously you need to spend time and money on homeschooling but can a single mum really do this with no other support? How long do you homeschool for anyway...what if my kids want to go to college / uni ?

    Tell me all you know about homeschooling!

  2. #41
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Apples View Post
    Salaam
    Are you referring to homeschooling in the UK (Which i can write an entire book about)
    If not UK - then unfortunately I wouldn't be able to say much as the syllabus and content etc differs from country to country.
    Assalamu alaykum

    Yes UK

  3. #42
    Senior Member Red Apples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_ View Post
    Assalamu alaykum

    Yes UK
    Salaam.
    Ok - the best way to do this and void any unnecessary information (because I'm going to type a document for you) is to tell me why you won't accept state school.
    The reason is that from your list - I would then be able to tell you if if you living in a pseudo -ideal of trying to achieve something which is not likely, OR how to achieve what is likely.
    I will also give you the pros and cons in different categories regarding social psychology and even the academia entity.

  4. #43
    Odan Abu julaybeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Girl Unspecified
    Posts
    1,713
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    932 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Apples View Post
    Salaam.
    Ok - the best way to do this and void any unnecessary information (because I'm going to type a document for you) is to tell me why you won't accept state school.
    The reason is that from your list - I would then be able to tell you if if you living in a pseudo -ideal of trying to achieve something which is not likely, OR how to achieve what is likely.
    I will also give you the pros and cons in different categories regarding social psychology and even the academia entity.
    Maybe coz in schools they talk about accepting homosexuality transgenders mixed toilets
    Freemixing and all soughts of rubbish topics like how england and america were the saviours of world war

  5. #44
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Apples View Post
    Salaam.
    Ok - the best way to do this and void any unnecessary information (because I'm going to type a document for you) is to tell me why you won't accept state school.
    The reason is that from your list - I would then be able to tell you if if you living in a pseudo -ideal of trying to achieve something which is not likely, OR how to achieve what is likely.
    I will also give you the pros and cons in different categories regarding social psychology and even the academia entity.
    The things that concern me are learning about homosexuality, having sex education from a young age, teachers being over worked and caring too much about targets (the bright kids usually are not pushed further and not much support for children who are not so bright) etc

  6. #45
    Odan Gingerbeardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    8,869
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3807 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    323

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_ View Post
    The things that concern me are learning about homosexuality, having sex education from a young age, teachers being over worked and caring too much about targets (the bright kids usually are not pushed further and not much support for children who are not so bright) etc
    I would strongly urge you to keep looking into this, in talking to some of the youth in my area, I have heard things about these schools which shows I under-estimated how bad they are, massively.

    the evils of secularism, liberalism and post-modernism are the norm now in society, prepare for it to be rammed down your kids throats from nursery onward should you put them in school.

    https://gingerbeardmansite.wordpress...stern-schools/
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

    www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

  7. #46
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
    I would strongly urge you to keep looking into this, in talking to some of the youth in my area, I have heard things about these schools which shows I under-estimated how bad they are, massively.

    the evils of secularism, liberalism and post-modernism are the norm now in society, prepare for it to be rammed down your kids throats from nursery onward should you put them in school.

    https://gingerbeardmansite.wordpress...stern-schools/
    I was totally against state schooling but because of my current situation I just don't know how feasible it would be to homeschool. I am definitely going to have to think it through properly though because my three year old told me that Ryan lies down on me in nursery i mean, what?!

    In addition to this, giving that school places are given based on catchment areas, I'm not in an area where it's predominately Muslim and another thing which would concern me is the possibility of my child eating haram at school.

    I'm very annoyed at Muslim schools as I put my daughters name down for a nursery place from the age of 2 & they lost the application, I then re added her and again they lost it.

    for the link, will have a read

  8. #47

    Account Disabled

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Gender
    Girl Unspecified
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Is homeschooling hard?


  9. #48
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghuraba321 View Post
    What's so funny?

  10. #49
    Senior Member Red Apples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_ View Post
    I was totally against state schooling but because of my current situation I just don't know how feasible it would be to homeschool. I am definitely going to have to think it through properly though because my three year old told me that Ryan lies down on me in nursery i mean, what?!

    In addition to this, giving that school places are given based on catchment areas, I'm not in an area where it's predominately Muslim and another thing which would concern me is the possibility of my child eating haram at school.

    I'm very annoyed at Muslim schools as I put my daughters name down for a nursery place from the age of 2 & they lost the application, I then re added her and again they lost it.

    for the link, will have a read
    Layla - i promised you a document that i will type for you.
    Firstly please forgive the time delay as i have much to do but i did start it. Its not all of it but will come in parts.
    Its much to think about and probably many points already covered but I guess reading it all in go might solidfy certain points and myths.

    As I said there is more to come including the other side of the coin.

    Home Schooling
    Before home schooling your child you need to have a realistic idea on what grades you want your child to achieve

    A.
    The reason why many parents who start home schooling find it difficult is because they soon realise there is big difference between a QTS Teacher and a Parent. A teacher is qualified to teach and knows the intricacies of teaching. A parent might understand the books but will often lack a wholistic macroscopic view and understanding of the curriculum. So, the magic question here is would you be able to teach different subjects to your child? Do you have the ability to teach different content?

    Many parents think a way out of this is to either send my child for Tuition or have 1 Tutor teaching many kids. Going for tuition is now getting expensive and adding the sums almost comes to the same as private Islamic schooling. The second part about one tutor is another problem as there is a Law against creating a private school as such without registering it. I already know of one boys “school” / “Tuition centre” in UK that tried to be clever and is now closed down.

    B.
    If your concern is pertaining to the morality in school content – this is where the problem gets bigger. The first thing is to understand in this part, is that State schools are secular. They do not and does not force a belief pertaining to anything down a child’s throat but do have the legal right to introduce that belief. Example: Big bang theory and Evolution. If you speak to a QTS Teacher in science – you will learn that there is no compulsion that a student believes that concept but, yet the concept is covered.
    Swinging the pendulum, the other way, how would you as a parent educate your child that the big bang theory is incorrect without the very introduction of theory itself?

    One of the biggest problems inside UK about home schooling is that the very parent themselves (mind you, who is now educating the child) does not themselves understand the rationale argument against the kufr theology. So, it now raises the question, how is the child going to have a counter argument when going out into the open world?
    I will site a story that happened in my life to show you what I mean. I was with a friend picking up his kid from nursery. A muslim man inside was throwing his hands up and shouting. We went to see if we could help. Upon hearing his discussion – he was accusing the principal for derailing his child religiously based on the fact that they gave the child Pepa Pig to play with. I intervened and asked the man why he was upset about it – and he looked at me shocked (he probably visually identified that I am Muslim) and said “Brother you know they giving our kids pigs to play with”. I asked him as to why he was upset and he said “You know pigs are haram to eat”. I then asked him if it was Halaal to eat lions. He looked at me and no obviously we can’t eat lions. I then had to point out to him that his own child had a Lion toy attached to his push chair. The man was frankly embarrassed because he now got the point that there was no difference between him buying his child a Lion toy and playing with a little pig.

    Ultimately his argument was based on consumption and Islamicially both are haram to eat.

    Can you imagine this parent home schooling his son? He would achieve nothing but creating cognitive dissilience in his son.
    The point here being, is that you can only force feed a Islamic concept with may be a little rationale up to a certain age – after that age the human mind seeks further rationale. A simple browse in UF will prove my point.

    So simply put – whether your child is home schooled or state schooled – you as a parent would have to confront the child with the rationale of Islam on different degrees at different ages.








    Last edited by Red Apples; 14-10-17 at 09:08 PM. Reason: font size

  11. #50
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Apples View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman]

    Layla - i promised you a document that i will type for you.
    Firstly please forgive the time delay as i have much to do but i did start it. Its not all of it but will come in parts.
    Its much to think about and probably many points already covered but I guess reading it all in go might solidfy certain points and myths.

    As I said there is more to come including the other side of the coin.

    Home Schooling
    Before home schooling your child you need to have a realistic idea on what grades you want your child to achieve

    A.
    The reason why many parents who start home schooling find it difficult is because they soon realise there is big difference between a QTS Teacher and a Parent. A teacher is qualified to teach and knows the intricacies of teaching. A parent might understand the books but will often lack a wholistic macroscopic view and understanding of the curriculum. So, the magic question here is would you be able to teach different subjects to your child? Do you have the ability to teach different content?

    Many parents think a way out of this is to either send my child for Tuition or have 1 Tutor teaching many kids. Going for tuition is now getting expensive and adding the sums almost comes to the same as private Islamic schooling. The second part about one tutor is another problem as there is a Law against creating a private school as such without registering it. I already know of one boys “school” / “Tuition centre” in UK that tried to be clever and is now closed down.

    B.
    If your concern is pertaining to the morality in school content – this is where the problem gets bigger. The first thing is to understand in this part, is that State schools are secular. They do not and does not force a belief pertaining to anything down a child’s throat but do have the legal right to introduce that belief. Example: Big bang theory and Evolution. If you speak to a QTS Teacher in science – you will learn that there is no compulsion that a student believes that concept but, yet the concept is covered.
    Swinging the pendulum, the other way, how would you as a parent educate your child that the big bang theory is incorrect without the very introduction of theory itself?

    One of the biggest problems inside UK about home schooling is that the very parent themselves (mind you, who is now educating the child) does not themselves understand the rationale argument against the kufr theology. So, it now raises the question, how is the child going to have a counter argument when going out into the open world?
    I will site a story that happened in my life to show you what I mean. I was with a friend picking up his kid from nursery. A muslim man inside was throwing his hands up and shouting. We went to see if we could help. Upon hearing his discussion – he was accusing the principal for derailing his child religiously based on the fact that they gave the child Pepa Pig to play with. I intervened and asked the man why he was upset about it – and he looked at me shocked (he probably visually identified that I am Muslim) and said “Brother you know they giving our kids pigs to play with”. I asked him as to why he was upset and he said “You know pigs are haram to eat”. I then asked him if it was Halaal to eat lions. He looked at me and no obviously we can’t eat lions. I then had to point out to him that his own child had a Lion toy attached to his push chair. The man was frankly embarrassed because he now got the point that there was no difference between him buying his child a Lion toy and playing with a little pig.

    Ultimately his argument was based on consumption and Islamicially both are haram to eat.

    Can you imagine this parent home schooling his son? He would achieve nothing but creating cognitive dissilience in his son.
    The point here being, is that you can only force feed a Islamic concept with may be a little rationale up to a certain age – after that age the human mind seeks further rationale. A simple browse in UF will prove my point.

    So simply put – whether your child is home schooled or state schooled – you as a parent would have to confront the child with the rationale of Islam on different degrees at different ages.








    Subhanallah, thank you for taking the time out to write such an insightful reply. You make some very valid points which I will definitely consider

  12. #51
    Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    4,448
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1304 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    306

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Relating to Point B, can we really say that, regarding them not pushing beliefs down throats? We are seeing our children conditioned to accept the horrific ideas that two mummies or two daddies are all okay. That a boy can turn into a girl and a girl can turn into a boy. They are also being taught by homosexuals in some cases, not to mention the general exposure to all the perversion and filthiness that goes on in a lot of regular state schools later on.

    To OP sister, there may be a network of other mothers homeschooling in the locality. Please try to find out online. From what I understand, these groups are quite useful in helping others become acquainted with how it all works and offer support and the opportunity for home schooled children to get to know and spend time with other children.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

  13. #52
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fakhri View Post
    Relating to Point B, can we really say that, regarding them not pushing beliefs down throats? We are seeing our children conditioned to accept the horrific ideas that two mummies or two daddies are all okay. That a boy can turn into a girl and a girl can turn into a boy. They are also being taught by homosexuals in some cases, not to mention the general exposure to all the perversion and filthiness that goes on in a lot of regular state schools later on.

    To OP sister, there may be a network of other mothers homeschooling in the locality. Please try to find out online. From what I understand, these groups are quite useful in helping others become acquainted with how it all works and offer support and the opportunity for home schooled children to get to know and spend time with other children.
    I don't know how to find other homeschooling mothers in my locality, as stupid as that may sound. I'm not on FB or social media and I think most of the groups are on FB... I've tried googling it but to no avail...

    I will definitely make more of an effort to find out though. It would be nice to have first hand experience of homeschooling

  14. #53
    Senior Member Red Apples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fakhri View Post
    Relating to Point B, can we really say that, regarding them not pushing beliefs down throats? We are seeing our children conditioned to accept the horrific ideas that two mummies or two daddies are all okay. That a boy can turn into a girl and a girl can turn into a boy. They are also being taught by homosexuals in some cases, not to mention the general exposure to all the perversion and filthiness that goes on in a lot of regular state schools later on.

    To OP sister, there may be a network of other mothers homeschooling in the locality. Please try to find out online. From what I understand, these groups are quite useful in helping others become acquainted with how it all works and offer support and the opportunity for home schooled children to get to know and spend time with other children.
    Although i havent finished the document - you obviously skipped that part, the point was that whether a child is home schooled or state schooled or even Islamic school Kufr ideologies are already ingrained into the system !

    How are you going to counter act that ? By simply skipping that part in home schooling yet your child has write a national exam pertaining to THAT very module ?
    You basically setting up your child to fail that course.

    Point number 2 that you missed is that the parent of a home schooled/private schooled or state schooled child has to play a role into counter measuring these ideas.

    When OFSTED visits her - which they do mind you (They visit home schooled children) What is the OP going to say ?

    Wait for my second installment to comment on the entire doc.

  15. #54
    Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    4,448
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1304 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    306

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Apples View Post
    Although i havent finished the document - you obviously skipped that part, the point was that whether a child is home schooled or state schooled or even Islamic school Kufr ideologies are already ingrained into the system !

    How are you going to counter act that ? By simply skipping that part in home schooling yet your child has write a national exam pertaining to THAT very module ?
    You basically setting up your child to fail that course.

    Point number 2 that you missed is that the parent of a home schooled/private schooled or state schooled child has to play a role into counter measuring these ideas.

    When OFSTED visits her - which they do mind you (They visit home schooled children) What is the OP going to say ?

    Wait for my second installment to comment on the entire doc.
    :]

    I did read part A, my brother, but either something about the way the post is written...or the fact that I'm just very tired, means it just isn't getting though this dense head of mine!

    That point jumped out at me and had me a little riled up, I have to admit, hence my post. I'll leave you to complete the rest of your document, insha'Allah.

    Sister Layla, I'll try to find out a little more from my own sister, insha'Allah. She had been preparing to homeschool for some time, but eventually found a suitable Muslim school and has sent her daughter there, instead. Maybe she'll know of something specific that may help.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

  16. #55
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fakhri View Post
    :]

    I did read part A, my brother, but either something about the way the post is written...or the fact that I'm just very tired, means it just isn't getting though this dense head of mine!

    That point jumped out at me and had me a little riled up, I have to admit, hence my post. I'll leave you to complete the rest of your document, insha'Allah.

    Sister Layla, I'll try to find out a little more from my own sister, insha'Allah. She had been preparing to homeschool for some time, but eventually found a suitable Muslim school and has sent her daughter there, instead. Maybe she'll know of something specific that may help.
    that would be very helpful.

  17. #56
    Odan Abu julaybeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Girl Unspecified
    Posts
    1,713
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    932 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    I think a muslim school is best as home schooling sounds like too much effort with less results
    Obviously money can be an issue so either you have ro work more or raise money from friends family and donations

  18. #57
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    The thing with Muslim schools is that they don't always have qualified staff. If I am paying for my child's education, I expect the education to be 'good' at a minimum! As an example, I was offered a job position in an Islamic school to teach GSCE English & History when I'd literally just graduated - I was only 21. I could teach English no problem but I was taken by surprise when they asked me to teach history at GSCE level.

    i don't even want to mention what I seen in this Islamic school when I went for my interview, but I did politely decline the job offer.

    We need Muslim schools where the staff know what they are doing, not just any random jumping up at the chance of a business opportunity...

  19. #58
    Senior Member Red Apples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_ View Post
    The thing with Muslim schools is that they don't always have qualified staff. If I am paying for my child's education, I expect the education to be 'good' at a minimum! As an example, I was offered a job position in an Islamic school to teach GSCE English & History when I'd literally just graduated - I was only 21. I could teach English no problem but I was taken by surprise when they asked me to teach history at GSCE level.

    i don't even want to mention what I seen in this Islamic school when I went for my interview, but I did politely decline the job offer.

    We need Muslim schools where the staff know what they are doing, not just any random jumping up at the chance of a business opportunity...
    Asalaamualaykum Mu'mina Layla
    This will be covered in the continuation of my document. (From a very unbiased level)

  20. #59
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Apples View Post
    Asalaamualaykum Mu'mina Layla
    This will be covered in the continuation of my document. (From a very unbiased level)
    Wa alaykum salaam

    I look forward to reading the rest of the document Insha Allah

  21. #60
    Senior Member Red Apples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_ View Post
    Wa alaykum salaam

    I look forward to reading the rest of the document Insha Allah

    Asalaamualaykum Mu'mina Layla,

    C.Qualifications

    The point that you brought forward was a point that I have touched upon, more challenging the parents ability, as compared to the teacher. You have spurred me to actually name my headings now.

    You are correct in saying that majority of UK Islamic Schools have non-qualified teachers (ie. Not PGCE or QTS) however I cannot derail from the original issue of home schooling against state schooling.

    What I am about to state now is in many ways related to your last post.
    In the UK – there is no compulsive law that a teacher need be QTS/PGCE. It is actually a preferred measure rather than a compulsive one. This is the very reason that home schooling is legal. On that same note – that’s the reason (despite limited funding) that most Islamic schools can have a degree graduate teaching, in fact, it might shock you to know that the law even allows a A levels Student to formally teach !!! ( I don’t understand the rationale behind that myself, I’m sure you rolled your eyes up too) – and, if you did roll your eyes up, then that proves my point – how qualified is parent to Teach ?

    So this now leaves the paradox in the issue – that a Paying parent to a Private Islamic School challenges the very qualification of a teacher yet intrinsically believes that home schooling a Muslim child is viable.

    D. Resources

    Should you still want to consider the pseudo envisaging of the heavenly home schooling issue – consider that a state school provides many resources for the wholistic understanding of the child’s experience. Home schooling would require the same ethos to give the child a valued education. The provision of PE equipment, Science labs, I.T Labs and Related Software, Speech and Drama Etc.

    They are not all easily substituted.

    E. Spatial Awareness.
    This is a major issue in Home Schooling. The format of the design of a School is to encourage Spatial Awareness which in turn effects human psychology. Schooling a child in a “one dimensional” can lead to many issues. Should a person want to home school a child, firstly, what is their knowledge in this matter? Secondly, How would one create a provision to meet the demands of the ever expanding mind of a child?

    To be continued…

  22. #61
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Apples View Post

    Asalaamualaykum Mu'mina Layla,

    C.Qualifications

    The point that you brought forward was a point that I have touched upon, more challenging the parents ability, as compared to the teacher. You have spurred me to actually name my headings now.

    You are correct in saying that majority of UK Islamic Schools have non-qualified teachers (ie. Not PGCE or QTS) however I cannot derail from the original issue of home schooling against state schooling.

    What I am about to state now is in many ways related to your last post.
    In the UK – there is no compulsive law that a teacher need be QTS/PGCE. It is actually a preferred measure rather than a compulsive one. This is the very reason that home schooling is legal. On that same note – that’s the reason (despite limited funding) that most Islamic schools can have a degree graduate teaching, in fact, it might shock you to know that the law even allows a A levels Student to formally teach !!! ( I don’t understand the rationale behind that myself, I’m sure you rolled your eyes up too) – and, if you did roll your eyes up, then that proves my point – how qualified is parent to Teach ?

    So this now leaves the paradox in the issue – that a Paying parent to a Private Islamic School challenges the very qualification of a teacher yet intrinsically believes that home schooling a Muslim child is viable.

    D. Resources

    Should you still want to consider the pseudo envisaging of the heavenly home schooling issue – consider that a state school provides many resources for the wholistic understanding of the child’s experience. Home schooling would require the same ethos to give the child a valued education. The provision of PE equipment, Science labs, I.T Labs and Related Software, Speech and Drama Etc.

    They are not all easily substituted.

    E. Spatial Awareness.
    This is a major issue in Home Schooling. The format of the design of a School is to encourage Spatial Awareness which in turn effects human psychology. Schooling a child in a “one dimensional” can lead to many issues. Should a person want to home school a child, firstly, what is their knowledge in this matter? Secondly, How would one create a provision to meet the demands of the ever expanding mind of a child?

    To be continued…
    Wa alaykum salaam


  23. #62
    Senior Member Red Apples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?


    Asalaamualaykum Mu'mina Layla
    You are most welcome.

  24. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    I just started working as a teacher for the first time. I was initially put in grade 3 when I only have experience as a TA in kindergarten and it was rough. You have no idea what goes into teaching kids until you actually teach them. Granted it was a class full of 25 kids so its obviously going to be more difficult, but they need to learn basic things that are so ingrained in you that you don't even realise that you need to teach that type of stuff. I teaching kg2 now and all I can say is take your time. It takes FOREVER for them to learn in the beginning. This entire week is dedicated to the letter R and counting from 1-5. A WHOLE WEEK!!! It takes time especially when they are so young.
    But since I work in kg i can tell you for sure that going to actual school teaches kids how to make friends and how to be independent. At the beginning the kids would cry when they left their parents but now they are excited to come to school so they could play with other kids. You don't want your children to be antisocial. You could send them to school for a few years and then pull them out later on when the children around them start to become bad influences. I grew up in the middle east and was very gaurded from haram things and when I moved to the west, I was in complete shock at how horrible things were. So I understand why you would want to homeschool them. But I genuinely believe that you should let them go to regular school until they at least know the basics.
    Also you need to be hard on kids sometimes when they are learning and as a mother would you be willing to do that? I had a kid today who was crying her eyes out for no reason and she refused to do her work. I gave into her crying for a while but then I had to just say "enough" and let her calm herself down and made her do her work. Because that is how they grow. Would you be able to just let your kid cry and be able to make them finish their work?
    Also can you teach everything between grades kg1 and grade 12. I can't even do that. You would need to work very hard to make this work.

  25. #64
    Odan Gingerbeardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    8,869
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3807 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    323

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by aelmo View Post
    I just started working as a teacher for the first time. I was initially put in grade 3 when I only have experience as a TA in kindergarten and it was rough. You have no idea what goes into teaching kids until you actually teach them. Granted it was a class full of 25 kids so its obviously going to be more difficult, but they need to learn basic things that are so ingrained in you that you don't even realise that you need to teach that type of stuff. I teaching kg2 now and all I can say is take your time. It takes FOREVER for them to learn in the beginning. This entire week is dedicated to the letter R and counting from 1-5. A WHOLE WEEK!!! It takes time especially when they are so young.
    But since I work in kg i can tell you for sure that going to actual school teaches kids how to make friends and how to be independent. At the beginning the kids would cry when they left their parents but now they are excited to come to school so they could play with other kids. You don't want your children to be antisocial. You could send them to school for a few years and then pull them out later on when the children around them start to become bad influences. I grew up in the middle east and was very gaurded from haram things and when I moved to the west, I was in complete shock at how horrible things were. So I understand why you would want to homeschool them. But I genuinely believe that you should let them go to regular school until they at least know the basics.
    Also you need to be hard on kids sometimes when they are learning and as a mother would you be willing to do that? I had a kid today who was crying her eyes out for no reason and she refused to do her work. I gave into her crying for a while but then I had to just say "enough" and let her calm herself down and made her do her work. Because that is how they grow. Would you be able to just let your kid cry and be able to make them finish their work?
    Also can you teach everything between grades kg1 and grade 12. I can't even do that. You would need to work very hard to make this work.
    First of all would you think you would find it as difficult if you were teaching two kids not 25?
    Do you think things would take as long?

    As for socialisation, it's not true homeschooled kids are not socialised with classes, clubs, neighbours and relatives and unlike other kids they learn to play with people of different ages, not just their own age group.

    Finally, your argument to expose them to western culture at such a young age so they are not shocked later, sorry this is just insane to me. I assume you do a little basic child psychology as a teacher and you'd put these kids, at their most vulnerable in an environment where they going to be exposed to bad manners, foul language, as well as elements of kufr beliefs and you think this is a good idea?

    Kids have to still grow up in this society, but as a parent I want to control the degree that they are exposed to it as much as possible, especially in the early years, to make it as safe as possible and it's unconscionable to me to just put them into an environment where that is all controlled by those who do not share my beliefs and practices
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

    www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

  26. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
    First of all would you think you would find it as difficult if you were teaching two kids not 25?
    Do you think things would take as long?

    As for socialisation, it's not true homeschooled kids are not socialised with classes, clubs, neighbours and relatives and unlike other kids they learn to play with people of different ages, not just their own age group.

    Finally, your argument to expose them to western culture at such a young age so they are not shocked later, sorry this is just insane to me. I assume you do a little basic child psychology as a teacher and you'd put these kids, at their most vulnerable in an environment where they going to be exposed to bad manners, foul language, as well as elements of kufr beliefs and you think this is a good idea?

    Kids have to still grow up in this society, but as a parent I want to control the degree that they are exposed to it as much as possible, especially in the early years, to make it as safe as possible and it's unconscionable to me to just put them into an environment where that is all controlled by those who do not share my beliefs and practices
    I'm sorry I think I didn't speak very clearly. I meant that she can put them in school in the beginning so that they can learn the basics, not so that they can be exposed to western culture. I would assume that kids who are 5 and 6 still wouldn't know all the bad things that older kids would know. Also it is definetely easier to teach 1 or 2 kids. I guess it just depends on the kid on how long it would take to teach them. The kids I teach are esl so we need to take a long time ingraning every little thing in them.
    I guess because I am a teacher and I live in a muslim country I don't really see much of a need for homeschooling, but I completely understand why people in the western would want to homeschool. But I do still think that you need to do a lot of research on homeschooling and on how to teach kids before you start doing it. You don't want the kids to fall behind.
    Sorry again, trust me I don't have bad intentions with what I am saying. Raising children to be good muslims should be your top priority.

  27. #66
    Senior Member neelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    10,839
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    429

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    I'm not surprised that teaching KG or 5 year olds would be difficult and take a lot of time. There are countries in mainland Europe which have very high educational standards but they don't start sending their children to school till age 7 because they believe that the earlier years should be for play and they're too young to be in a structured learning system before that age. My cousins grew up in Austria and this is how they were raised and their education level was very good. They were fluent in at least 3 languages by the time they were 15 and they're in good jobs now.

  28. #67
    Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    4,448
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1304 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    306

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Sr @Layla_

    http://home-ed.info/local_groups

    I don't if sister has come across the above?

    That was what my sister gave although she mentioned there was a far more useful site for finding people locally. She wasn't able to find the link for that (apparently it took a lot of searching and reading through pages to find this other link, so my apologies if the above isn't very useful.)

    Allah Ta'aalaa make it easy for sister, and for trying to go down this route. Alhamdulillah.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

  29. #68
    Senior Member Layla_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fakhri View Post
    Sr @Layla_

    http://home-ed.info/local_groups

    I don't if sister has come across the above?

    That was what my sister gave although she mentioned there was a far more useful site for finding people locally. She wasn't able to find the link for that (apparently it took a lot of searching and reading through pages to find this other link, so my apologies if the above isn't very useful.)

    Allah Ta'aalaa make it easy for sister, and for trying to go down this route. Alhamdulillah.
    to both you and your sister for the link.

    Ameen!

  30. #69
    Senior Member Red Apples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

    Asalaamualaykum Muhmina Layla

    So where are you sitting with this, thus far ?

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.2.7 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com

MPADC.com Islamic Web Hosting | Muslim Ad Network | Islamic Nasheeds | Islamic Mobile App Developement Android & iPhone | Islamic Web Hosting : Muslim Designers : Labbayk Nasheeds : silk route jilbab: Hijab: : Web Islamic Newsletter: Islamic Web Hosting

Students of Arabic Forum | Hijab Shop