Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Is homeschooling hard?

Salam

Ok so I've been thinking about homeschooling for a while now as my eldest is approaching school age. State school for me is a big no no, would have liked to send to an Islamic school but I may potentially be a single mum and obv won't have the finances. Plus, a lot of Islamic school teachers are not qualified, so surely I can teach just as well as them?!

But, is it hard...obviously you need to spend time and money on homeschooling but can a single mum really do this with no other support? How long do you homeschool for anyway...what if my kids want to go to college / uni ?

Tell me all you know about homeschooling!

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1581 Post(s)

Re: Is homeschooling hard?

Salaam
    A close friend attempted to homeschool but sadly when the children were tested they did not achieve the requirements regarding their age and by government law all children must reach a certain stage which is putting many schools under pressure and she couldn't cope so was forced to place them in to school.. That's the only case I know of and I remember she would teach them from 11pm to around 4pm including a lot of traveling.

Their doing great in school Mashallah.
    I love you, cherish you and worship you,
    Guide me on your path to your janna,
    Unite me beside you My King and all mighty,

Allah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Wa aleikum Salam,
    We are a homeschooling family and have homeschooled in three different continents, Asia, Europe and now North America.Our kids have never attended school alhamdulillah. If you want the simple answer homeschooling is hard, but so isn't parenting if you are doing it right. It does require a lot of effort on our part but it has been extremely rewarding. We are able to enhance our childrens strengths, focus on their weaknesses, encourage their passions, and provide a sound islamic education. It has been a huge blessing and even on the hard days I could not imagine it any other way. It is a full time job, because even once 'schoolwork' is done, the children continue learning in their own free time, from listening to lectures (that is one of their pastimes), reading books, learning new skills. It does not end and that is the beauty of homeschooling, it is a lifestyle of learning. The world is your classroom, it has no boundaries. Yesterday i gave my son a book series to start, 'the chronicles on narnia'. He picked up the first book in the collection and was done in a day, but about halfway through it he came across a poem in the book, and stopped to come over to me to discuss the meter and whether it was iambic or trochaic. Our goal for homeschooling our children was not merely to get them ahead of the pack (which we have succeeded in) but to give them a passion for learning that would see them flourish into independent learners. Likewise the freedom you have in curriculum really allows for so much growth and development, There are so many resources you can use that they are never exposed to in a school setting. Our kids take part in physical sports, nationwide competitions, they memorize quran daily, they read and write well above their level. They take part in workshops, do online courses in things like programming, video editing, media prodution etc. They interact with kids on a frequent basis, we make sure to invite people over weekly, they also take part in group sports and frequently interact with kids at the masjid.
    and lastly yes it can be expensive, but it does not have to be that way.

Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3804 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Layla_ View Post
    Salam

Ok so I've been thinking about homeschooling for a while now as my eldest is approaching school age. State school for me is a big no no, would have liked to send to an Islamic school but I may potentially be a single mum and obv won't have the finances. Plus, a lot of Islamic school teachers are not qualified, so surely I can teach just as well as them?!

But, is it hard...obviously you need to spend time and money on homeschooling but can a single mum really do this with no other support? How long do you homeschool for anyway...what if my kids want to go to college / uni ?

Yes homeschooling is hard, but very rewarding. There are quite a few homeschooling networks out there, some Muslim so look into it further
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ummsafi View Post
    Wa aleikum Salam,
    We are a homeschooling family and have homeschooled in three different continents, Asia, Europe and now North America.Our kids have never attended school alhamdulillah. If you want the simple answer homeschooling is hard, but so isn't parenting if you are doing it right. It does require a lot of effort on our part but it has been extremely rewarding. We are able to enhance our childrens strengths, focus on their weaknesses, encourage their passions, and provide a sound islamic education. It has been a huge blessing and even on the hard days I could not imagine it any other way. It is a full time job, because even once 'schoolwork' is done, the children continue learning in their own free time, from listening to lectures (that is one of their pastimes), reading books, learning new skills. It does not end and that is the beauty of homeschooling, it is a lifestyle of learning. The world is your classroom, it has no boundaries. Yesterday i gave my son a book series to start, 'the chronicles on narnia'. He picked up the first book in the collection and was done in a day, but about halfway through it he came across a poem in the book, and stopped to come over to me to discuss the meter and whether it was iambic or trochaic. Our goal for homeschooling our children was not merely to get them ahead of the pack (which we have succeeded in) but to give them a passion for learning that would see them flourish into independent learners. Likewise the freedom you have in curriculum really allows for so much growth and development, There are so many resources you can use that they are never exposed to in a school setting. Our kids take part in physical sports, nationwide competitions, they memorize quran daily, they read and write well above their level. They take part in workshops, do online courses in things like programming, video editing, media prodution etc. They interact with kids on a frequent basis, we make sure to invite people over weekly, they also take part in group sports and frequently interact with kids at the masjid.
    Wow mashallah sounds great! Thank you for your input, Insha Allah I can be as successful as you if I take this route

Jazakallah for the replies, I will definitely be looking into this further

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2266 Post(s)

When can 1 or should 1 start homeschooling?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Educating your child begins from birth so it's never really to early. Obviously you wouldn't have a sit down lesson with a one year old lol but nursery in the UK starts from 3 with school starting at 5 so I would start between then.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    442 Post(s)

Wa aleikum Salam,
    MashaAllah tabarakAllah, that is awesome.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    760 Post(s)

keystone school
    And k12 is another good one if you are in US

I was home schooled for a while.
    Last edited by Sahar.; 12-04-16 at 04:28 AM.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

I praise parents who dedicate their kids to become good muslims/muslimas.
    Its like headstart programme.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYmGVs5KPXA
    Alhamdulillah!

Odan
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    610 Post(s)

I don't know, but if you are considering this, look into "Kumon" for mathematics. It requires minimal input from yourself and your children can get years ahead of the school syllabus. They also do English, but I don't have experience of it so I don't know if it mirrors the school syllabus or how good it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For homeschooling, you will need contents. Among others, these may be in the form of books, teaching and learning materials, videos and digital resources which are curriculum-compliant to your child's age. It's a challenge these days to get get good contents, especially for Islamic education.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

It's after to you. If you take this as a hard work than it is hard. But it is not so hard.

Odan
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    637 Post(s)

Wa aleikum Salam,

Jazakallahu khair for sharing your experiences sister. I don't know anyone that homeschooled so the whole process is a bit of a blur to me, but it's something I'm interested in exploring in the future inshAllah.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

Best send them to a state school. The education there is far far better than homeschooling by unqualified teacher

My neighbours' children were homeschooled. They're all religious but big headed ignoramouses

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    442 Post(s)

Salam

Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

Do what the mother of Imam ash-Shafii did.

Odan
    Mentioned
    587 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5357 Post(s)

I wish I was home schooled :/

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9765 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ~Umar~ View Post

I wish I was home schooled :/
    hmmmmmm

i know 2 fams that homeschooled their kids and they are the most lovely, respectful, intelligent kids you would meet. It could have done u good Umar, but looks like back to school it is.
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Odan
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    637 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AbdullahiG View Post
    Best send them to a state school. The education there is far far better than homeschooling by unqualified teacher

My neighbours' children were homeschooled. They're all religious but big headed ignoramouses
    Due to class ratios, the average state school kid gets 15 minutes of one-on-one time with their teacher in a week. That's just one example of how homeschooling trumps sending kids off to state schools. Any "unqualified" parent can do a much better job, if we are only factoring in time.

Homeschooling is less about "teaching" than it is about facilitating a child's learning.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

This homeschooling thing IS HARD

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

I home educated all of my children, really loved the whole experience mashaAllah at primary level. The world is literally your classroom. We leant towards unschooling in that we didn't have a curriculum or set hours, just did bits and pieces as/when suited us. The children entered school just before GCSE stage (they wanted to, felt they needed more and to be honest I really didn't enjoy it at this stage. Two of them did GCSE's a few years early)

Anyway sister what are you finding hard? Do you have a good social network for both you and your child/ren? I find a lot of people new to home schooling burn themselves out as they are under the impression that you need to be replicating a school day in order for children to learn, which is not true at all.

Odan
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2077 Post(s)

This homeschooling thing IS HARD
    How is it going?

How do you teach your child?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indefinable View Post
    How is it going?

How do you teach your child?
    It's not going too well tbh. My eldest is still a pre schooler and I've got a younger baby as well so I'm finding it hard to manage my time. Right now I am teaching through play and trying to follow the Montessori method but I lack motivation.

I guess i better register for a school place from September!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Fatimah View Post
    I home educated all of my children, really loved the whole experience mashaAllah at primary level. The world is literally your classroom. We leant towards unschooling in that we didn't have a curriculum or set hours, just did bits and pieces as/when suited us. The children entered school just before GCSE stage (they wanted to, felt they needed more and to be honest I really didn't enjoy it at this stage. Two of them did GCSE's a few years early)

Anyway sister what are you finding hard? Do you have a good social network for both you and your child/ren? I find a lot of people new to home schooling burn themselves out as they are under the impression that you need to be replicating a school day in order for children to learn, which is not true at all.
    Thanks for your reply sis.

In just finding it hard as I lack motivation. unschooling sounds great. I'm not trying to replicate a classroom as such, but would like to get ahead with Phoenics but I guess I'm a bit lazy, lol

pizza is life
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)

It's not going too well tbh. My eldest is still a pre schooler and I've got a younger baby as well so I'm finding it hard to manage my time. Right now I am teaching through play and trying to follow the Montessori method but I lack motivation.

I guess i better register for a school place from September!
    dont ... not yet keep going and fight on!
    where are you from? i might know some families that can help in homeschooling etc
    btw i helped homeschool my sister back when she needed it and im telling you its great alhamdulillah no one will see your child she'll always remain in at home with honour and her hijab always protected.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by babadods View Post
    dont ... not yet keep going and fight on!
    where are you from? i might know some families that can help in homeschooling etc
    btw i helped homeschool my sister back when she needed it and im telling you its great alhamdulillah no one will see your child she'll always remain in at home with honour and her hijab always protected.
    I am from the UK, East Midlands. Yes it is great but I really am starting to think it's not for me. I've got another year of it to fully make up my mind as I've not registered my daughter for her reception place this sep

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Just saw your daughter is still pre-school, you should be concentrating on having fun and lots of play Don't put any pressure on yourself, she isn't even school aged yet and yes if you decide that you feel it isn't for you then you can explore other options. After all of these years I now believe that home education isn't for everyone and not everyone is for home education lol.

its great alhamdulillah no one will see your child she'll always remain in at home with honour and her hijab always protected.

I'm not really sure that the purpose of home education should be a child always being at home with no one seeing her? I have met a few families like this and their children ended up in the care system.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Fatimah View Post
    Just saw your daughter is still pre-school, you should be concentrating on having fun and lots of play Don't put any pressure on yourself, she isn't even school aged yet and yes if you decide that you feel it isn't for you then you can explore other options. After all of these years I now believe that home education isn't for everyone and not everyone is for home education lol.

its great alhamdulillah no one will see your child she'll always remain in at home with honour and her hijab always protected.

I'm not really sure that the purpose of home education should be a child always being at home with no one seeing her? I have met a few families like this and their children ended up in the care system.
    You're right lol, I guess I'm just getting ahead of myself. I'm that pushy parent. I really need to relax and calm down! Lol

On Break
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1268 Post(s)

I am from the UK, East Midlands. Yes it is great but I really am starting to think it's not for me. I've got another year of it to fully make up my mind as I've not registered my daughter for her reception place this sep
    Preschool is still young. I homeschooled mine during high school. I would suggest using a structured program, something that has your days planned out. I would have found it difficult if we did not have that structure, preplanned curriculum. Plus, with smaller children you really need to have one-on-one teaching time, whereas with older kids they can read and do a lot on their own. If it's really something you don't think you will be able to continue, I would go for the school route.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sister_2009 View Post
    Preschool is still young. I homeschooled mine during high school. I would suggest using a structured program, something that has your days planned out. I would have found it difficult if we did not have that structure, preplanned curriculum. Plus, with smaller children you really need to have one-on-one teaching time, whereas with older kids they can read and do a lot on their own. If it's really something you don't think you will be able to continue, I would go for the school route.
    Jazakallah khayr, yes defo need a structure

Yes I don't think it's for me. I think maybe once the primary years are over I will consider it Insha Allah. Too bad I didn't apply for a space from September and everywhere is full :|

Odan
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2077 Post(s)

Jazakallah khayr, yes defo need a structure

Yes I don't think it's for me. I think maybe once the primary years are over I will consider it Insha Allah. Too bad I didn't apply for a space from September and everywhere is full :|
    I'm looking forward to this challenge. It's a huge commitment (and I tend to have commitment issues lol)

But - I'm thinking/planning In Shaa Allaah - to start homeschooling my son when he is 11, so he doesn't attend the local Secondary School. I've sort of looked into the curriculum, and what subjects I'd like to teach him.

Short listed it to the following:
    English (Literature/Language), Mathematics, Science (Bio/Chem/Phys), Islamic History, Secular History, Islamic Studies, Arabic, Religious Studies (Secular), Qur'aan/Tajweed.

So basically build him up/teach him so he can gain all those GCSEs In Sha Allaah.

Wishful thinking. I'm not sure how feasible it is, it's not impossible, it is manageable though I reckon. In Sha Allaah.

Just needs to be planned accordingly I think.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Salam

Salaam,

From looking at your post, your level of literacy is more than enough to do the homeschooling by yourself, unless you are really poor at arithmetic. That is something that your post does not reveal, of course. I just suppose that you can handle that as well. The materials only become more challenging at A levels. Until then, I suspect that you should be able to handle it by yourself. No need to worry. The kids would certainly not do better by sitting in a rowdy class with twenty other pupils vying for an often burnt out state-school teacher's attention. For A levels, there are lots of sites like tutor.com where your children could access a specialized subject teacher for their advanced questions. Furthermore, at that age, they should probably just learn how to "Google" for things anyway.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indefinable View Post
    I'm looking forward to this challenge. It's a huge commitment (and I tend to have commitment issues lol)

But - I'm thinking/planning In Shaa Allaah - to start homeschooling my son when he is 11, so he doesn't attend the local Secondary School. I've sort of looked into the curriculum, and what subjects I'd like to teach him.

Short listed it to the following:
    English (Literature/Language), Mathematics, Science (Bio/Chem/Phys), Islamic History, Secular History, Islamic Studies, Arabic, Religious Studies (Secular), Qur'aan/Tajweed.

So basically build him up/teach him so he can gain all those GCSEs In Sha Allaah.

Wishful thinking. I'm not sure how feasible it is, it's not impossible, it is manageable though I reckon. In Sha Allaah.

Just needs to be planned accordingly I think.
    Sounds good Insha Allah: yes it is defo manageable Insha Allah depending on how it's all planned out but secondary home schooling seems a lot easier than primary home schooling

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pronorah View Post
    Salaam,

From looking at your post, your level of literacy is more than enough to do the homeschooling by yourself, unless you are really poor at arithmetic. That is something that your post does not reveal, of course. I just suppose that you can handle that as well. The materials only become more challenging at A levels. Until then, I suspect that you should be able to handle it by yourself. No need to worry. The kids would certainly not do better by sitting in a rowdy class with twenty other pupils vying for an often burnt out state-school teacher's attention. For A levels, there are lots of sites like tutor.com where your children could access a specialized subject teacher for their advanced questions. Furthermore, at that age, they should probably just learn how to "Google" for things anyway.
    Salaam

I have a degree in English, if that helps...

Math is most certainly not my strongest subject, however, I'm sure i can manage till at least secondary school age

I'm still confused about homeschooling. Im just not sure I have the patience

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

I have a degree in English, if that helps...
    It certainly helps. There are truckloads of "Teach English Online" sites that desperately try to hire online teachers:

You may also want to look at what British Council says about teaching online. They clearly think that it is a great idea, and a real opportunity for English language majors, but also that you should try to avoid the "pitfalls". These sites seem to pay $20+ per hour or more (sometimes also less) for this job. So, it is not a "get rich quick" scheme, but it can clearly help you paying the inevitable bills left, right, and center. You will still need common sense, though, concerning payment and working conditions. There is really nothing that can exempt you from being alert and knowing what you are doing.

There are also firms that cater to the business crowd with "Commercial English" and things like that. They pay even more for one-to-one tuition for their staff (and executives). This is often the cheapest way out for them. Just let someone call in a few hours a week and talk in English with someone who is generally useful to the company, but should also be able to talk in English with customers or suppliers.

Then, there are also the local-market opportunities that should be not too bad. Even in the poorest countries there are parents who are financially able -- and are more than happy -- to send their kids for private English classes to your house. It is a really interesting opportunity to make money when you need to stay at home to keep an eye on the kids too. You can even add a few of such "external kids" to the classes you would give to your own children. Then, you would even get paid to basically teach your own kids!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pronorah View Post
    It certainly helps. There are truckloads of "Teach English Online" sites that desperately try to hire online teachers:

You may also want to look at what British Council says about teaching online. They clearly think that it is a great idea, and a real opportunity for English language majors, but also that you should try to avoid the "pitfalls". These sites seem to pay $20+ per hour or more (sometimes also less) for this job. So, it is not a "get rich quick" scheme, but it can clearly help you paying the inevitable bills left, right, and center. You will still need common sense, though, concerning payment and working conditions. There is really nothing that can exempt you from being alert and knowing what you are doing.

There are also firms that cater to the business crowd with "Commercial English" and things like that. They pay even more for one-to-one tuition for their staff (and executives). This is often the cheapest way out for them. Just let someone call in a few hours a week and talk in English with someone who is generally useful to the company, but should also be able to talk in English with customers or suppliers.

Then, there are also the local-market opportunities that should be not too bad. Even in the poorest countries there are parents who are financially able -- and are more than happy -- to send their kids for private English classes to your house. It is a really interesting opportunity to make money when you need to stay at home to keep an eye on the kids too. You can even add a few of such "external kids" to the classes you would give to your own children. Then, you would even get paid to basically teach your own kids!
    Jazakallah khayr

When I graduated I was doing proof reading for Saudi students (females) for their masters but I stopped as sometimes they expect you to do the work for them

I think I am going to educate myself on the national literacy curriculum & offer tuition to children and it will also help my children too if I decide to go ahead with the homeschooling. Thanks for the idea I hadn't actually thought about tuition in a long time

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)

Walaykum salam,

A number of my fb friends home school their children; some in the UK and some in the US. Sadly one of the UK mums has been forced to place her children in state school against her wishes. As a single mum on benefits, she was told that she has to be available for work (and training courses) if she wishes to continue getting benefits (and i think this applies to tax credits as well). She explained that she home schools but was told that if her children weren't enrolled in school, she'd lose her benefits.

We talked about potential loopholes but none of those were viable options for her. For example; one loophole is to say you're available during those hours and arrange for a friend/sitter/family member to watch the kids when you're not at home- she would've been allowed to continue home schooling if she knew someone who could watch the kids when she's not at home.

She was very successful at home schooling, in fact I think she used the term "unschooling" which means it's not like a traditional classroom set up. I mean, the kids were taught the usual reading, writing, arithmetic etc, but also a lot of their learning would involve things like going to parks and woods (the kids were under 7 at the time), partly to play, partly to spend time outdoors with fresh air and partly to learn about the different types of leaves, seasons, trees and plants etc so it still involves learning but not in a traditional classroom way. Her children have a much higher reading age than their actual ages and are academically bright so this form of learning hasn't hindered their progress.

There are facebook groups for home school parents to find resources, websites that offer learning courses for various key stages, where to get free or low price resources and a lot of posts on personal experiences of dealing with a kid who keeps disrupting an older sibling or other day to day challenges like that. I think one grandparent dealt with home schooling by paying for a computer course that offered a lot of the texts and resources for the main type of school curriculum subjects online. So there's a range of parents from the unschoolers who DIY it by completely rewriting the rule book on what they think education should consist of on their own terms- to the opposite end where someone buys a reputable course online that covers the main subjects her teen needed to learn to get his qualifications.

I know one page is called "abi homeschools too", I can't remember the others. From what I know of the other home schooler parents, the main thing you need is confidence. There is such a strong culture of society telling parents that children MUST be in school and if they aren't then "how will they learn to socialise with other kids their own age?" and the typical questions like that, which I also asked before I knew better. It leads parents to lack the self esteem to take it on themselves, so if you have the confidence, then the next step is to connect with other parents experienced in this, make a plan as to what you want your child to learn and what resources and steps you'll need to get there and take it from there. If you feel you can't do it alone, find other home school parents in your area, meet up and maybe you can help each other out and so on.

Odan
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    637 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neelu View Post
    Walaykum salam,

A number of my fb friends home school their children; some in the UK and some in the US. Sadly one of the UK mums has been forced to place her children in state school against her wishes. As a single mum on benefits, she was told that she has to be available for work (and training courses) if she wishes to continue getting benefits (and i think this applies to tax credits as well). She explained that she home schools but was told that if her children weren't enrolled in school, she'd lose her benefits.

We talked about potential loopholes but none of those were viable options for her. For example; one loophole is to say you're available during those hours and arrange for a friend/sitter/family member to watch the kids when you're not at home- she would've been allowed to continue home schooling if she knew someone who could watch the kids when she's not at home.

She was very successful at home schooling, in fact I think she used the term "unschooling" which means it's not like a traditional classroom set up. I mean, the kids were taught the usual reading, writing, arithmetic etc, but also a lot of their learning would involve things like going to parks and woods (the kids were under 7 at the time), partly to play, partly to spend time outdoors with fresh air and partly to learn about the different types of leaves, seasons, trees and plants etc so it still involves learning but not in a traditional classroom way. Her children have a much higher reading age than their actual ages and are academically bright so this form of learning hasn't hindered their progress.

There are facebook groups for home school parents to find resources, websites that offer learning courses for various key stages, where to get free or low price resources and a lot of posts on personal experiences of dealing with a kid who keeps disrupting an older sibling or other day to day challenges like that. I think one grandparent dealt with home schooling by paying for a computer course that offered a lot of the texts and resources for the main type of school curriculum subjects online. So there's a range of parents from the unschoolers who DIY it by completely rewriting the rule book on what they think education should consist of on their own terms- to the opposite end where someone buys a reputable course online that covers the main subjects her teen needed to learn to get his qualifications.

I know one page is called "abi homeschools too", I can't remember the others. From what I know of the other home schooler parents, the main thing you need is confidence. There is such a strong culture of society telling parents that children MUST be in school and if they aren't then "how will they learn to socialise with other kids their own age?" and the typical questions like that, which I also asked before I knew better. It leads parents to lack the self esteem to take it on themselves, so if you have the confidence, then the next step is to connect with other parents experienced in this, make a plan as to what you want your child to learn and what resources and steps you'll need to get there and take it from there. If you feel you can't do it alone, find other home school parents in your area, meet up and maybe you can help each other out and so on.
    Solid post. It definitely takes a lot of courage to deviate from the norm. My sister has opted to homeschool and the questions/judgement from other mothers is constant. We forget that, anyone who is a parent is already a teacher by default.

Abi homeschool too is an awesome resource, I also like Elizabeth Hanson (she's an education consultant) who has homeschooled her children. She follows the classical education approach. There are so many methods and approaches to home schooling, so parents need to do the research beforehand to be clear about their objectives.

Un-schooling, sounds interesting and probably requires a lot more creativity.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neelu View Post
    Walaykum salam,

Subhanallah, I'm unsure how I missed your post but great post. I looked into unschooling and it really interested me. I have applied for a place for my daughter for school for next year. The more I look into it, I don't think homeschooling is for me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

Salam

Salaam
    Are you referring to homeschooling in the UK (Which i can write an entire book about)
    If not UK - then unfortunately I wouldn't be able to say much as the syllabus and content etc differs from country to country.