Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: revert stories

islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3627 Post(s)

revert stories

figured we need a revert stories thread, so if you are a revert feel free to post yours here @brightesthour
    @john_repents
    @Mick1002015 @legomahmego
    @Abdur al Rahman
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1304 Post(s)

Re: revert stories

Alhamdulillah, brothers and sisters like above, they remind me of the early sahaba who became Muslim. Everyone in these situations, living in conditions with pressures against their following Islam, every sacrifice and even small action is likely greatly multiplied in the Creator's eyes (swt).

May Allah Ta'aalaa keep us all upon the till we return to Him (swt).
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Odan
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1366 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brightesthour View Post
    Dawah looks hard. I've never given it, well I told my mom about Islam but that was it. I dunno if it counts as dawah. But if a bunch of people were asking me about Islam I'd want them to leave me alone lol

Thanks for saying you'll pray for my father. I really appreciate it sis!
    Yea, simply you informing your mom about Islam is a form of da'wah. It doesn't have to be about a scholar yelling eomtionally about Islam to a crowd of people, that's what people sometimes think.
    I don't normally go up to them with information lol but they do get curious by some of the things I do so I try to explain why I'm doing it in the most understandable manner possible.
    Yea I've had a few that have consistently asked for days. I reply to them as much as possible. Because I know hidayah is with Allah, but when I see Muslims here express so much happiness for having Islam in their lives I feel obligated to at least have the people I know know something about the deen....you know?

No problem sis, your worries are my worries and vice versa
    Last edited by Figs; 29-11-15 at 08:21 PM.

Odan
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1366 Post(s)

@UmmHussein

barakallahu feek ya ukhti

May Allah reward you for your struggle sis

kept you waiting, huh? UmmHussein's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Figs View Post
    @UmmHussein

barakallahu feek ya ukhti

May Allah reward you for your struggle sis
    Jazaki Allahu Khair, sister.
    Indeed, Allah orders justice and good conduct and giving to relatives and forbids immorality and bad conduct and oppression. He admonishes you that perhaps you will be reminded.

-16:90 (Surah an-Nahl)

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3627 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UmmHussein View Post
    Oh boy, here we go. Ok for starters, my family is white, American, and against organized religion. My mother however would tell you we're a Christian family, because to her you're whatever religion your parents claim to be. Claiming to be Christian while hating Christianity? Yah I don't know either, don't ask. I never had any interest in religion growing up. Never been in a church, temple, or mosque. I never had any religious friends. Where I live religion doesn't play a role in people's daily life. My parents also have very weird and contrasting views. They're against racism and homophobia, but have a problem with "too many blacks in one place". It was after their reaction to my reversion that I began to see them as fallible people with the ability to be wrong. When I was in school, junior year of high school, we had this project where we had to, in groups, become spokespeople for a given religion. Mine was Islam. My understanding was neutral before the project, but after reading and reading, I almost became obsessed. I began to love Islam and all it's aspects eventually. I think I reverted Valentines of 2014 on my way home from school. I wrote down the shahada on a little paper. I was walking, pulled it out, read it, and put it back in my pocket. I kept it to myself for a while. I had my mom buy me a Qur'an off Amazon which made her suspicious. I learned about Islam alone because I KNEW how they'd feel. For many months. When I told my mom she cried. Asking "how could you do this" and all that. My dad found out but didn't say anything until he called me a terrorist after the Taliban shot the Peshawari schoolchildren (????) Nothing I said could have satisfied them. They thought I'd just be resigning myself to misogynistic slavehood for all my life and that I'd never see them again. I sort of hid it for them in the hopes they'd accept me. But then I decided it was time to get married because I wasn't too much of a noob at Islam. BIIIIIIIG MIIIISTAKE. They threatened to cut ME off then, if I didn't quit. I didn't want that, plus I neither loved the man nor knew he was right for me. So I again went back into hiding. I'd had a Tumblr where I formed a few online friends and downloaded some books to read. Then in August I downloaded a Qur'an app. It showed up on my brothers phone, who showed it to my parents, who went ballistic. They went through my things and threw away anything Islamic. I had another Qur'an which I bought online. They TORE the pages out, and dumped them in the trash. I felt this sense of calm watching this. Because I know they trash my physical things, but never touch what I feel in my heart. They screamed at me that Muslims were nothing but evil, but what were they doing? Muscling their daughter out of her room to invade her privacy and discard the things she bought herself because she believed in a different religion then them. My situation now is full circle. Back to hiding, but I'm keeping it that way until I'm financially independent. I hope to visit a mosque and make friends on UF. I've actually been here before, under a diff username. I posted question here and the users urged me to revert. Alhamdulillah. I also hope to rebuy some of the things I lost, like my abaya even though I never could wear it in public. I know how women should dress, but to be honest I'd be very thankful to even wear a scarf and be seen by others as Muslim even in "western clothes". To be recognized on the outside what I believe on the inside! It will be soon two years since I've uttered it on my tongue, but longer for feeling it in my heart. While my iman has fluctuated, never once in my heart have I ever considered the possibility that Islam is not the true path. That is my story so far, and will continue to unfold here because I'm an open book lol.
    subhannallah this is incredible jazak allah khair for sharing

sister its pretty impressive that you have so much against you yet you still manage to hold steadfast to your deen, may allah bless you with even more steadfastness and help your family see the beauty of islam through you
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

kept you waiting, huh? UmmHussein's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
    subhannallah this is incredible jazak allah khair for sharing

sister its pretty impressive that you have so much against you yet you still manage to hold steadfast to your deen, may allah bless you with even more steadfastness and help your family see the beauty of islam through you
    Wa iyyakum akhi, and ameen to your duas.
    Indeed, Allah orders justice and good conduct and giving to relatives and forbids immorality and bad conduct and oppression. He admonishes you that perhaps you will be reminded.

-16:90 (Surah an-Nahl)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Assaalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh!
    Hello, brothers and sisters.
    I am sure that you've heard almost every revert story imaginable, so I'm not looking to wow you with my journey. However, I pray that my story can help to benefit one of you, or somebody in the future InshAllah.

To begin, I was raised a Catholic (I'm an Italian-American) and I attended Sunday school and took part in some of the sacraments involved in Catholicism up until my early teens. However, as a got older, I started to question it. I never understood why I was confessing my sins to another human being, then having them seek my forgiveness on my behalf. That never felt right to me, and it began to bother me, to be honest. Also, Catholicism did not fit what I your relationship with God was supposed to be like. Simply put, I never got the fulfillment or spiritual awakening that many claim to have.

By the time I was in middle school, I no longer attended Sunday school and I was never confirmed. My parents didn't seem to care and I simply went on about my studies in school and my personal life. Things would soon take a turn for the worst in my life, when in 2008, I lost my mother to cancer. As you can imagine, I was crushed. For a person who has multiple congenital birth defects and has had countless surgeries, nothing compared to losing her. I was 15 years old and never felt more lonely than at that moment. Nine mothers later, I lost my grandmother. Then six months later, my aunt (my mother's sister) passed away from the same form of cancer as my mother. I was completely devoid of any emotions; I was numb. I became angry at the world and wanted to know why God was systematically eliminating the most important people from my and my family's life. I was full of rage. Combined with me being self-conscious about my disabilities, I felt worthless and like a total failure. I've always had a large number of friends, but I questioned whether or not they liked me for who I was, or if it was pity. My sense of gratitude was non-existent.

I would eventually calm down, and II went through high school essentially with an Agnostic mind-state. My father ended up re-marrying and we moved to the other side of our town, so I was faced with accepting that my family was changed and how I can welcome a new authoritative figure. Alhamdulliah, I was able to cultivate a healthy relationship with my stepmother and things have gone well for the most part. I remained an Agnostic throughout my community college career which spanned three years, which I graduated from with honors.

Fast forward to 2014, 6 years to the day after my mother's passing, and I broke down. I was depressed, lonely, confused, and angry. I cried and told myself I needed to find God. I needed help, I needed guidance. I was ashamed of the negative feelings and anger I had towards God and I wanted to better myself and abandon my poor mindset and find peace.

Finally, onto the subject of Islam. I grew up in a community with a high Muslim population and had many Muslim friends. I always had an mild interest in Islam, but I never had the courage to ask my friends about their religion. I was afraid of being ignorant or them thinking I was being intrusive. Religion is a very sensitive subject, especially within the Ummah. So I decided I would take it upon myself to find the answers I was looking for. This past January, I enrolled in a four year university, where I met a Muslim friend whom I shared three classes with. We had a conversation that sparked something in my mind to research Islam heavily and seek out the truth. This past June, I ordered an English translation of the Qu'ran. I was hooked. About four pages into Baqarah, I felt something in my heart that I had never felt in my years as a Catholic. What I always believed about God was being confirmed to me, page after page. This analogy might sound ridiculous, but I compare it to having your hand raised in class, waiting for your question to be answered. But before you know it, the teacher answers your question within having to call on you. Allah (SWT) was revealing to me the truth, and I was overcome with emotions. I told myself, "This is the right path, I want to become Muslim". By August, I told my parents my intentions and while they were surprised, they never wavered in their support for me. I ended up connecting with a brother not too far from my hometown, who works at a local mosque. He became my mentor and we arranged for me to take my Shahada at the masjid on November 13.

Well, Alhamdullilah! It's been nearly three weeks since it being official, but I am so humbled and blessed to have Allah (SWT) guide me to this Deen. I've never been more at peace and genuinely happy than I am right now. I know this is just the beginning, but I am excited and looking forward to a wonderful journey as a Muslim, InshAllah. Jazakum Allahu Khair and thank you for allowing me to share my story!

~dreamer
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1800 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggz View Post
    I am sure that you've heard almost every revert story imaginable, so I'm not looking to wow you with my journey. However, I pray that my story can help to benefit one of you, or somebody in the future InshAllah.

To begin, I was raised a Catholic (I'm an Italian-American) and I attended Sunday school and took part in some of the sacraments involved in Catholicism up until my early teens. However, as a got older, I started to question it. I never understood why I was confessing my sins to another human being, then having them seek my forgiveness on my behalf. That never felt right to me, and it began to bother me, to be honest. Also, Catholicism did not fit what I your relationship with God was supposed to be like. Simply put, I never got the fulfillment or spiritual awakening that many claim to have.

By the time I was in middle school, I no longer attended Sunday school and I was never confirmed. My parents didn't seem to care and I simply went on about my studies in school and my personal life. Things would soon take a turn for the worst in my life, when in 2008, I lost my mother to cancer. As you can imagine, I was crushed. For a person who has multiple congenital birth defects and has had countless surgeries, nothing compared to losing her. I was 15 years old and never felt more lonely than at that moment. Nine mothers later, I lost my grandmother. Then six months later, my aunt (my mother's sister) passed away from the same form of cancer as my mother. I was completely devoid of any emotions; I was numb. I became angry at the world and wanted to know why God was systematically eliminating the most important people from my and my family's life. I was full of rage. Combined with me being self-conscious about my disabilities, I felt worthless and like a total failure. I've always had a large number of friends, but I questioned whether or not they liked me for who I was, or if it was pity. My sense of gratitude was non-existent.

I would eventually calm down, and II went through high school essentially with an Agnostic mind-state. My father ended up re-marrying and we moved to the other side of our town, so I was faced with accepting that my family was changed and how I can welcome a new authoritative figure. Alhamdulliah, I was able to cultivate a healthy relationship with my stepmother and things have gone well for the most part. I remained an Agnostic throughout my community college career which spanned three years, which I graduated from with honors.

Fast forward to 2014, 6 years to the day after my mother's passing, and I broke down. I was depressed, lonely, confused, and angry. I cried and told myself I needed to find God. I needed help, I needed guidance. I was ashamed of the negative feelings and anger I had towards God and I wanted to better myself and abandon my poor mindset and find peace.

Finally, onto the subject of Islam. I grew up in a community with a high Muslim population and had many Muslim friends. I always had an mild interest in Islam, but I never had the courage to ask my friends about their religion. I was afraid of being ignorant or them thinking I was being intrusive. Religion is a very sensitive subject, especially within the Ummah. So I decided I would take it upon myself to find the answers I was looking for. This past January, I enrolled in a four year university, where I met a Muslim friend whom I shared three classes with. We had a conversation that sparked something in my mind to research Islam heavily and seek out the truth. This past June, I ordered an English translation of the Qu'ran. I was hooked. About four pages into Baqarah, I felt something in my heart that I had never felt in my years as a Catholic. What I always believed about God was being confirmed to me, page after page. This analogy might sound ridiculous, but I compare it to having your hand raised in class, waiting for your question to be answered. But before you know it, the teacher answers your question within having to call on you. Allah (SWT) was revealing to me the truth, and I was overcome with emotions. I told myself, "This is the right path, I want to become Muslim". By August, I told my parents my intentions and while they were surprised, they never wavered in their support for me. I ended up connecting with a brother not too far from my hometown, who works at a local mosque. He became my mentor and we arranged for me to take my Shahada at the masjid on November 13.

Well, Alhamdullilah! It's been nearly three weeks since it being official, but I am so humbled and blessed to have Allah (SWT) guide me to this Deen. I've never been more at peace and genuinely happy than I am right now. I know this is just the beginning, but I am excited and looking forward to a wonderful journey as a Muslim, InshAllah. Jazakum Allahu Khair and thank you for allowing me to share my story!

Ruggz. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story with us. So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you to lose the people you love the most. Alhamdulilah Allah has guided you to Islam. Welcome to the family and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay here.
    Last edited by *sheba*; 05-12-15 at 06:34 AM.
    O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity~ Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Sheba,
    Assaalamu alaikum and Thank you very much for your warm welcome and support. Allah (SWT) showed his mercy in guiding me to Islam. I certainly didn't do it, I simply put my trust in Him and he's taken care of the rest. I look forward to getting used to the forum and interacting with everyone, InshAllah.

Odan
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1366 Post(s)

@Ruggz amazing story brother and welcome to Islam. Thanks for telling us your story, I am sure it will help a lot of ppl in the future insha allah.
    @eesa the kiwi
    @UmmHussein
    @brightesthour
    @muslimahhh

Yea, every time I come across this thread can't help but feel a lil bit emotional so jazakullahu khairan three times over for sharing your stories and contributing to this thread.

~dreamer
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1800 Post(s)

Sheba,
    Assaalamu alaikum and Thank you very much for your warm welcome and support. Allah (SWT) showed his mercy in guiding me to Islam. I certainly didn't do it, I simply put my trust in Him and he's taken care of the rest. I look forward to getting used to the forum and interacting with everyone, InshAllah.
    (wa alaykum asalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh)
    Alhamdulilah and no problems. Thats great.
    Last edited by *sheba*; 07-12-15 at 03:03 AM. Reason: :/
    O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity~ Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

Odan
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2424 Post(s)

Beautiful story. Welcome to Islam

Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1304 Post(s)

^ Alhamdulillah. Allah Ta'aalaa grant us all strength and patience and tawfeeq to return to Him in a state pleasing to Him (swt).
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Odan
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    791 Post(s)

Haven't seen this thread until now.
    The stories on here have been great to read Alhamdulillah!
    Hope more are posted Inshallah.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Salam

i read the stories here and i'm like so glade for you and i encourage you.

and i also seen lot of youtube videos of peope reverted to Islam

and what i noticed is that a lot of reverted people stated that before they where Muslim
    they asked god for guidance or they where searching for the truth for god

that gave me a good lesson that we need always seek guidance from god.
    and that's a good way for helping non Muslim people that have a grudge against Islam (Because of the media) by advising them to ask god for guidance without Mentioning Islam. i'm sur people who ask god guidance from out their hearths will find their way themselves like a lot of reverted people did

this is a part of my life story for people who lost hope and wondering why their prayers are not answered

about me i'm a Muslim i Grew as a muslims from the start, and i used to ask for god guidance from when i was a kid.
    3 and a half years from now i had epilepsy (seizures) i stopped my studies and lost my job and i never lost hope i was asking god daily to cure me to help me

because of the medicins i was taking (Carbamazepine) i started having memory loss because of that
    and after about 2 and half years of asking god for cure daily (beginning of 2015) i've seen a roya(Vision)
    ----the vision----
    i've seen someone who told me that he can talk to Muhammed peace be upon him
    and i told him pass him my Salam
    and he said that he (Muhammed peace be upon him) passed his Salam to you and said use Ginger and cumin and Kohl
    ---------------------
    i started using ginger and cumin daily and all my family noticed that my seizures power dropped in the first week
    after 2 weeks i've seen another vision telling me that ginger is to be used 3 times (1 Teaspoon every time about 2 grammes) daily for Epilepsy
    and cumin 1 teaspoon daily for memory loss
    and i already knew that kohl is for eyes vision
    i searched in the net i found that ginger is good for epilepsy and cumin for memory loss

and after 1 year of taking ginger my seizures just gone though i was taking only 1 teaspoon daily not 3 because of my family worries.

so never lose hop. i lost lot of things because of my illness and still have lot of problems but i know i have to be patient so i'm still waiting and asking god daily to answer my prayers
    and one of them is to guide me to be a good Muslim
    Last edited by 4N45; 07-02-16 at 10:00 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

@brightesthour

Salam

maybe you can talk to your mother little about your journey and tell her to prey to GOD directly asking for guidance
    and you can use videos like these en renforce your point of view when you decide talking to your father (they are all non muslim made)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGG97dDfZ7E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7sYdfM1IqQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pYlfFW-20w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqIyJycXxOo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PphD2e4dilw

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9765 Post(s)

this thread
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3627 Post(s)

bump
    seeing as we have some more new muslims on the forum i figured id bump this
    if you are new to islam and havent already done so please share your story here and as this will inshaallah help our iman alhamdulilah

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9765 Post(s)

...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1302 Post(s)

Awesome thread and so inspiring subhan'Allah.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3627 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaNdOm View Post
    If he doesn't have 250 posts he won't be able to see the notification for this mention
    Maybe link him this in another thread

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

Great posts, it's always great to a get a view from a reverts perspective, something unimaginable to us that Allah blessed with Islam from birth, although it could very easily serve as a evidence against us on the day of judgement.

@4N45 post touched me the most, incredible stuff, I myself went through a long period of time were prayers weren't directly relieving the problems, and I am talking years, when I was almost at the verge of loosing hope I come across a hadith reminder, that a person on the day of judgement would find mountains of good deeds and wonder about the source, and he is told, those are the prayers not answered in this Dunay and kept for you for this day, upon learning this, he will wish none of his prayers were ever answered in this Dunay.

The answers come at the perfect time, not a moment sooner, once you have been totally cleansed of the evils, habits, corruptions of your soul which elevates your piety, taqwa and iman, that's usually when the answers will come and I am very glad it was held off until this day, because I would likely have gone back otherwise, now even a mere thought about those past habits frightens me really bad nevermind going back to it, bad sickness is really a mercy, not only does it cleanse your sins, but cleanses your habits and cleanses your heart from all the filth, it's the ultimate mercy.

I was a very stubborn person, family members dying had no affect, seeing friends die had no affects, loss of wealth had no affect, ballooning up to over 100KG through binge eating had no affects, no stress, no depressions, a few close encounters with death had no affects, warnings coming via dream had no affects,the only thing that had affect was the body I thought I was in control off being taken away and imprisoned and it took a whole year of that for introspection/reflection/retrospection to really hit home, thanks to the Mercy of the all Mighty.

The good thing was that I didn't watch TV or was into Music or the other new age hippie stuff or drugs, I also stayed far away from oppressing others or being bad to parents, I was quasi humanitarian, the illness (rahma) really struck after I sent my ageing pious auntie to Saudi Arabia for Hajj/Umrah (whom had been begging family members to fund it for years) and subsequently she took residence there, it was her duas that likely made it happen, she prayed for my guidance and the answer came in a horrifying multiple bouts of illnesses (rahma), that only went away after total cleansing that took 2 years, every doctor/specialist, every comprehensive check up came back with "there is nothing wrong with you", take these allergy pills.

The illnesses were a combination of severe digestive issues, severe abdominal pains, severe anxiety almost 24/7 (tremors, couldn't even leave the home), blepharitis that made the eyes swollen, bad chronic rhinitis swelling the nose that even powerful steroids couldn't relief, extreme chronic lethargy literally pass out all of a sudden anywhere multiple time a day (frightened the crap out of me), I was a very stubborn guy and needed it all, I am very grateful for this exceedingly great rahma, would be totally lost without it.
    Last edited by Inquisitive10; 11-11-16 at 01:11 AM.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3627 Post(s)

asalamu alaikum brothers and sisters
    anyway heres mine (note i have left some details out as there too private to share on a public forum but here goes)

bismillahir rahmanir raheem
    i was raised christian in a fairly religious family. we went to church most sundays and i went to a lot of christian youth camps. i believed in this with all my heart and as a kid i was terrfied of hell. it wasnt something my parents taught (they werent like if your bad you'll go to hell but the concept really scared me. i hated vice (well as a christian concept of it, used to nag my aunt for smoking and had a loathing of drugs) i was fairly bright and used to go for a school for gifted children once a week. my early teens were fairly uneventful but when i was 14 i changed high school to a scummy rat hole. i fell into the wrong crowd and while it started innocently (i knew most of them from church) it got messed up real fast. i started using drugs and became hooked. all my ambitions went out the window, i started failing school (because i was absent half the time) and i went from being a kid with a bright future to being a junkie whose sole ambition in life was to to take drugs until i died. i started using harder and harder drugs and soon was commiting crimes to fuel my habit. i left christianity around 15, 16 and became heavily influenced by heavy metal music. for those that say music is halaal you have no idea how manipulated you can become because of it. i was listening to a lot of marilyn manson (someone who if i heard he died tommorow i would make sujood of thanks) and i found that the heavy metal was just as corrupting on my soul as the drugs
    then i OD
    it literally felt like dying, probablly one of the most horrific experiences of my life, i was taking drugs with friends i took too much and bam. i was so sick it wasnt funny. i remember praying to god in the od. i was too sick to even remember the trinity, it was just me and god, i was like god you have to help me, and i know im a scumbag and ill probably go back to my same old tricks tommorrow (which i did for a while astaghfirullah) but you have to help me (imparaphrasing this prayer coz i dont remember it exactly)

things started to change after that

when i was 17 i got in heaps of trouble with the law, like heaps of trouble, i got locked up for a while and alhamdulilah this was one of allahs greatest blessings upon me
    it got me away from my scumbag friends and gave me time to think. I quit the drugs alhamdulilah, i wanted to get back into religion but i figured with all the bad stuff i had done god didnt want me. ii spent two years on the verge of suicide because i felt so scummy about the things i done and people i had hurt. i was terrified of god, like so scared i couldnt even pray i figured i was doomed to hell and i couldnt do anything about it

but one day that fear went away (mostly) and istarted trying to pray again. id lost all belief in the trinity and i had a basic version of tauheed. i stopped eating pork cause the old testament was so against it and wasnt drinking anymore. and then i found a copy of english quran

it hit me like a ton of bricks and cut right into my heart, i knew instantly that this was from my creator. it scared the living daylights out of me and i knew if i didnt accept i was in big trouble
    so on jan 4th 2009 shortly before my 20th birthday i decided to become a muslim. i emailed the local masjid and not long after took shahadah

alhamdulilah through islam Allah turned my life around, i turned my back on the drugs alhamdulilah have been clean 6 years, ditched the loser friends and started trying to repair things. i get along really well with my parents (whom i had hated), allah taught me how to deal with them. i have a pretty quiet life these days, i dont really go out much but alhamdulilah im way happier than i ever was chasing after the drugs and the girls and the dunya. theres something about placing your head on the ground in salaat that makes your soul go this is what i was created for

some reverts have these amazing stories and they were like super good people before islam, me mines not so pretty so apologies

if you hadve asked the christians i knew as a teen, what's god going to do with jeremy? they would probably say god will throw him in hell
    if allah had have taken my soul and put me in jahanam he would have been completely justified but instead he had mercy on this sinner and guided him instead. subhannallah look at the mercy of allah something i will always be grateful

anyway thats basically me
    asalamu alaikum
    @shabbir80 here's how I came to Islam

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3627 Post(s)

@aidaalej

:
    dunno if you would be interested in sharing your story?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1445 Post(s)

@aidaalej

:
    dunno if you would be interested in sharing your story?
    Soon insha'Allah

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1445 Post(s)

Bismillah

I remember being very religious as a child although the only time my family would go to Church was on occasions like Easter and Ethiopian New Years. For writing in English, we'd get prompts like, "If you could have lunch with anyone, who would you eat with?". While other students wrote about their favorite celebrities and athletes, I would write things like, "I would have lunch with Jesus and God" and devote a whole page to drawing a picture of an old man with a white beard, a young man with a brown beard and a tiny girl sitting at a table in the sky. I would pray for everyone I knew. I would pray saying things like, "Father God, please help the whole wide world and everyone I know, even Satan". When I was around 11 I wanted to be a nun although I wasn't Catholic. I liked the idea of being devoted to God. I remember when I told my mother that I wanted to be a nun, she was disgusted and told me all kinds of things like how they can't have children, what they wear, etc. The things she was told me didn't phase me but the fact that she didn't like the idea of me becoming a nun did. I eventually gave up the desire. A bit after entering middle school I became irreligious. I'd rarely think about God and I wouldn't pray. The only time I'd think about God was when I'd ask my friends stupid questions like, "do you have to be 13 and older to go to hell?" and some other things.

Looking back on it, I did not think highly of Islam. I think what influenced my view of Islam is the fact that my mother is Ethiopian. Many Ethiopian Christians despise Islam. My mother wasn't mean to Muslims but she does not like organized religion in general. We also had a Mexican Catholic roommate who'd show me Christian propaganda videos about Islam.. So what I knew of Islam was that some Afghan girl ran away from her husband and her nose and ears chopped off and that Muslims will outnumber Christians at some point in the future. I remember seeing the video about Muslims outnumbering Christians and I felt very scared. I thought that Muslims would enslave Christians and I'd have to wear a burqa or something.. That's what the video implied.

I remember learning about the civil rights movement in either the second or third grade and hearing about Islam. We were reading about Martin Luther King and Malcolm X and I remember feeling unhappy and almost disgusted with Malcolm because he was a Muslim. I preferred MLK because he was a Christian. Although I wasn't mean to Muslims, I did not want people to think I am a Muslim. Because my parents are from two different places, no one can guess my ethnicity. Sometimes people would think that I am Arab and I didn't like that. I didn't care about people thinking I am from the subcontinent because it wasn't seen as Islamic. Because my biological father is Puerto Rican, my legal last name begins with 'Al'. I remember wishing my last name didn't start with 'Al' because I didn't want to be associated with Arabs or Muslims.

I was 12 when my religious view started to change. I remember thinking about Christianity and the Trinity and telling my sister that I don't think Jesus is God. I remember saying, "I think Jesus was a nice guy, but I don't think he is God". After that, I delved into atheist literature and grew to hate religion. Maybe after a year and a half, my hatred for religion changed to admiration but for a while I thought that religion was just a way for people to manipulate others and that religion stops people from living their lives. As disgusting and odd as it sounds, I liked the idea of Satanism. The type of Satanism I am referring to isn't the kind where people even believe in Satan, it's basis is hedonism. It's pretty much about worshiping your nafs. Although I liked the idea, I never considered myself a Satanist alhamdulillah. I mentioned this to show how atheism corrupted me. I had viewed Satanism in a positive light for a while but I never did the things they do alhamdulillah.

My views on religion started to change when I spoke to my mother's friend's husband about how I thought it was unfair that churches in the US don't have to pay taxes. I said that since there are more churches than schools, the government could be making more money from taxing them. He told me that he disagreed with taxing places of worship because churches would probably start charging entrance fees and religion is what prevents some people from committing crimes. I started to think about how he said that the fear of God stops people from committing crimes and I started to view religion in a positive light. I became a lot more tolerant towards religion after thinking about this.

I started to pay attention to Islam because of my love of politics. I had been interested in politics from ages of 12 to 15. I wanted to become a foreign service officer so of course I gave more attention to foreign policy than domestic. I started paying attention to US policy in the middle east a lot more after ISIS declared it's khilafah. I felt very scared and there was a lot of fear mongering going on. I wanted to know why groups like Al Qaeda and ISIS wanted to kill Americans. When researching ISIS and talking to Muslims online, I started to wonder if Islam is true. Maybe in late February or early March 2015 I made dua when I was helping my mother clear out some stuff from our home. That day we were clearing out the empty boxes we weren't able to fit our trash can and we were taking it to a bigger trash container. Before we left I made dua asking if the God of Islam is the true God, then show me a sign. When we came back home my mother missed the entrance we usually take and we had to take the take path that would take us to the other side of our garage. We never take this route and at the time, we hadn't taken it in months and maybe even a year. When we were almost home my mother and I saw a giraffe statue we had in our house on our neighbor's driveway. Maybe a year later my sister admitted to hiding the statue there because she feared we'd throw it away. Either way, my mother saw it as very creepy. What were the chances we'd take this path and see the giraffe? She had thrown the statue away because she thought it was haunted or something. We did not have an explanation as to why this happened so I knew this must be the sign. I remember after I picked the statue up from their driveway, I was eager to get home to google something about Islam and giraffes. When I had looked it up, I expected to see a verse from the Quran talking about giraffes or something but it was something much more specific. I think it was the first result or one of the first results but what came up was a website called "IslamCan.com". The title of the link was called "Signs of Allah in Giraffes". This is the website: http://islamcan.com/signsofallah/sig...giraffes.shtml. I was especially amazed since I had asked Allah for a sign and the link was about His signs. I don't think I knew what to do after that but I ended up saying shahada about an month and a half later alhamdulillah. I think this experience made me more open to accepting Islam.

I was in a group on kik and a Muslim joined the chat. Not long after he joined, he messaged me and I ended up asking him to prove to me that Islam was the true religion. He ended up mentioning things like the expansion of the universe, embryology, etc. and my jaw dropped. I was in awe. I tried to make it look like I was asking him in jest because I felt shy to ask but he took my question seriously alhamdulillah. After that I asked him how to convert and he told me about shahada. He told me I need two witnesses. I couldn't go to the masjid in my area and after doing some research, I had read that a sister had said it without others present as Allah is the Best Witness. I remember trying to go to sleep one day in April and I really wanted to become a Muslim. I didn't know when I could find two Muslims so I ended up sitting up in bed and saying shahada. I felt at peace and I was so happy.

Although I said shahada, my knowledge of Islam was limited and most of what I knew was wrong. The only things I was told about Islam was to watch Hamza Yusuf's videos and that there is no compulsion in religion so I don't have to do anything. The other things I had learned about Islam were from books demonizing Salafis and pushing the agenda of Sufis. I ended up learning more later on and I started practicing soon after I turned 15. A few months later I made this account on Ummah alhamdulillah.

On A Hired Plane of Logic LailaTheMuslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2684 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
    So I was born into a Somali family in Oslo, Norway in the early 90s.
    my family were one of the first to come to Europe after the civil war and my mum moved from Turkey, to Denmark to Norway and my dad came via Saudi where he studied.
    In turkey my mum met some nice Muslim couple who helped her get visa to western Europe. She recollects buying a prayer mat from there, which we still have and has been not been washed for 20 years (lol) but she didn't wear hijab until the last decade here in the UK.
    My mother was a really outspoken woman, even back home people called her 'Araweelo', which was a female queen in Somalia who used to kill men and young boys, a feminist tyrant you could say. This led to her having really outspoken views on Islam, like the 'Qur'an has been changed by men', or claiming wrong beliefs about women in islam
    My dad, I have no clue about his upbringing, but I don't remember either parents praying frequently as a child.

I remember some stuff about how I related to religion as a child in Norway. We went to the mosque when I was 3 for eid and I was really respectful of the mosque and people praying and felt that I believed in God. My sis went to an Islamic nursery school, i think she was so lucky. Cos I went to primary school in England and some of the Muslim students and teachers were really ignorant. They'd say stuff that I couldn't celebrate eid cos I was Black, also madrassahs weren't good at all.

So I was a loner from a young age in religious terms.

As I grew up, at the age of 14, I took an interest in the Qur'an, I started reading it and felt some much peace and sakinah. I never got that feeling elsewhere. I was always such a resteless girl. I loved music and movies and art, and really wanted to be a famous author or cartoonist lol. but that was just materialism on my side. I didn't get too much attention from classmates so focused on writing and drawing, and used to get praise from teachers for my talents.

I loved music so much, at the age of 15 I started listening to rock music, and I can say that it was a horrible decision. Rock music is the worst, because the lyrics are so deep at times, and its quite arty, so its harder to let go than shallow pop music.I still haven't let go properly. My fav bands were, The smiths, the Beatles, oasis, I liked reggae a lot too.

Anyway, reading the quran made me forget about music and books, it just made me feel humble and obedient and not crazy. i never did outward crazy stuff, like wore crazy clothes and high heels, didn't date boys but I thought crazy stuff. I became a feminist at 16 and into socialism later on. I just liked the adrenaline rush of it. But the Qur'an dominated that all, I never felt pretentious or had crazy thoughts when listening to the Quran.

I started praying at 15, though had to wrestle with music at the same time. Nobody told me to stop listening to music at all. I just was glued to youtube watching songs, and then praying when the prayer time came on.
    I wouldn't recommend that. cos you wont focus in that prayer, you'll be hyperactive and in a wild state. The Qur'an even says to avoid praying while intoxicated.

my sister slowly picked up on me praying and reading the Qur'an, that she started doing so herself. We became best friends and did everything together, I loved chilling in her room and just 'meditating' and reading religious books.
    The rest of my family weren't too bothered, younger brother blatantly was into drink despite being a Muslim back then.

when time for uni came I fell seriously ill. I had this strange thought that I was going to hell, because of my past sins, despite only being 18. I suffered for 5 years of depression and psychosis cos of this, and had to retake numerous times at uni. I finally repented and turned back to the religion in 2013, at 21. It was a sad time, my family left the deen, got into sihr, Christianity and fortune tellers. Mum started saying that the 'Qur'an was changed'. Brother left Islam for Christianity and became really unwell, into drugs, others no longer prayed.
    I feel like a revert because no-1 cares and takes seriously Islam, they mock me for having hope in Allah. I pray for signs from God and the my family mock if it hasn't obviously come true.
    The only muslim people am in contact with are my classmates at the Islamic college I attend, and I have missed many classes due to illness, pleas pray for me to get back on track
    Things have changed.

My mother takes Islam seriously now, she is now the one telling me to do salaat and do good deeds. My sister alhamdulilah is more religious too

I am still struggling with my mental health, but still have hope that Allah will correct my affairs - ameen
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3627 Post(s)

Things have changed.

My mother takes Islam seriously now, she is now the one telling me to do salaat and do good deeds. My sister alhamdulilah is more religious too

I am still struggling with my mental health, but still have hope that Allah will correct my affairs - ameen
    Alhamdulilah for the good changes. May Allah grant you cure and rectify your affairs

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

Things have changed.

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

I was really sad when I read your first story then alhamdulilah I came across this reply of yours saying that your mother now is becoming more serious in religion ..

I think what happened to your family was the reason of weakness of Iman + Sihir

As for your mental health (which I assume it is because of Sihir ) I would advise you to bring black musk and winter hat so you will put a little of black musk in the hat and you will wear it at night (should cover all your hair, ears and forehead) also you will run a repeated ruqyah ..

Inshallah by doing these steps you will get rid of anxiety and all mental problems

The black musk looks like that

And here is the ruqyah :

الرقية النفسية

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kswq7o8q0lfv02i/

If you have any questions you can send message to me
    Last edited by Tayoofa; 05-09-17 at 02:54 AM.
    Ibn Al Qayyim may Allah have mercy on him said: ("
    The heart on its journey towards Allah the Exalted is like that of a bird. Love is its head, and fear and hope are its two wings. When the head is healthy, then the two wings will fly well. When the head is cut off, the bird will die. When either of two wings is damaged, the bird becomes vulnerable to every hunter and predator..”
    )

On A Hired Plane of Logic LailaTheMuslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2684 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tayoofa View Post
    السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

I was really sad when I read your first story then alhamdulilah I came across this reply of yours saying that your mother now is becoming more serious in religion ..

I think what happened to your family was the reason of weakness of Iman + Sihir

As for your mental health (which I assume it is because of Sihir ) I would advise you to bring black musk and winter hat so you will put a little of black musk in the hat and you will wear it at night (should cover all your hair, ears and forehead) also you will run a repeated ruqyah ..

Inshallah by doing these steps you will get rid of anxiety and all mental problems

The black musk looks like that

And here is the ruqyah :

الرقية النفسية

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kswq7o8q0lfv02i/

If you have any questions you can send message to me
    Jazakallah Khair

Ooh alhamdulilah beneficial post. Yeah I will do this in sha Allah and hopefully, it will help others too.
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

Jazakallah Khair

Ooh alhamdulilah beneficial post. Yeah I will do this in sha Allah and hopefully, it will help others too.
    You can bring black musk from Abdulsamad Al qurashi or Al Arabia for Oud , I bought mine from Al-Arabia but I checked their website and it was sold out

Anyways you can check Al Ka'abah musk I think it's same as black musk

https://uae.arabianoud.com/index.php...result/?q=Musk
    Ibn Al Qayyim may Allah have mercy on him said: ("
    The heart on its journey towards Allah the Exalted is like that of a bird. Love is its head, and fear and hope are its two wings. When the head is healthy, then the two wings will fly well. When the head is cut off, the bird will die. When either of two wings is damaged, the bird becomes vulnerable to every hunter and predator..”
    )