Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

quotes of the salaf thread

here are some i found (source https://contemplatequran.wordpress.com/quotes/), ill post more if i come across them inshaallah
    please feel free to add your own

Abu Dharr Al-Ghifaari (RA) said: A person possessing two dirhams will have a harsher reckoning on the Day of Judgment than a person who possesses just one dirham, and a person who possesses two dinars will have a harsher reckoning than someone who possesses only one. [Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqaa`iq article 555}
    I love the pious people even though i am not one of them and i dislike the evil people even though i may be worse than them. Ibn mubarak
    The wise Companion ibn Masud (may Allah be pleased with him) said, I have never regretted anything as much as a day on which the sun sets and my life span decreases, while my good deeds have not increased.
    Ibn Al-Jawzee said: This worldly life only impresses those with no intellect. Similar to how vain dreams please the sleeper, imaginary games are perceived by a child, whereas a sensible person cannot be deceived by such delusion. [Kitaab Al-Lataaif Fil-Waaiz, pg. 61]
    Knowledge without action is arrogance. Imam Ash-Shafiee (rahimahumAllah)
    Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (radiyAllahuanhu): Indeed Allah forgives Major Sins, so do not despair, and indeed Allah punishes for Minor Sins, so do not be deceived. (Sharh al-Bukhari by Ibn Battal 19/267)
    Umar Ibn Abdul Azeez was advised: Oh Umar, beware of being the ally of Allah (SWT) in open, while being His enemy in secret. If ones nature in open and secret do not equate then he is a hypocrite, and the hypocrites occupy the lowest level in Hellfire. [Al-Bayhaqi, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabeer, pg.100]
    The foolish one addresses me with words of disgrace, but I hate to respond to him in a similar manner. The more ignorant he proves, the more patient I become. Just like the incense; the more its burnt, the more it releases its fragrance. Imam Ash-Shafiee (rahimahumAllah)
    Imam As-Shafii (rahimahullah): Whoever does not love knowledge then there is no good in him. So there should not be any acquaintance between you and him, and nor any friendship. [Muqqadimatul-Majmoo Shahil-Muhadhdhab vol.1 pg-42]
    A person is not ready for death if he still thinks he will live tomorrow.
    Sufyan At-Thawri (رحمة الله)
    The great ascetic Shaqiq al-Balaki May Allah have mercy upon him] was once asked, What is the mark of [true] repentance? He replied, Continued crying over past sins, deep fear of falling into them again, staying away from bad company, and keeping the company of good people
    Imam Al-Hasan Al-Basree (may Allah have mercy on him) said: We laugh and yet who knows? Perhaps Allah has looked at some of our works and said: I will not accept anything from you. Woe to you, son of Adam! Can you fight Allah? Whoever disobeys Allah is fighting Him. By Allah! I have met seventy veterans of Badr. Most of their garments were wool. Had you seen them you would have said they are crazy, and had they seen the best among you they would have said: Those people will have no part in the Hereafter. Had they seen the worst among you they would have said: Those people do not believe in the Day of Reckoning. I have seen people for whom this world was cheaper than the dust under their feet. I have seen people the like of whom would come home at night, not finding more than his own portion of food, and yet say: I shall not put all of this into my belly. I shall certainly give some away for Allahs sake. Then he would give away some of his food in charity, even if he were more in need of it than its recipient. Quoted by Abu Nuaym in Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya 2/134
    It is reported that Muhammad b. Al-Hanafīyah Allāh have mercy on him said:
    Whoever has self respect does not give any value to the worldly life (dunyā).
    [Ibn Al-Jawzī, Sifatu Al-Safwah 2:77]
    It was said to Al-Hasan Al-Basri; People say that the one who has been on Hajj is the one who is forgiven. He said, And the sign of this is that he leaves the evils he used to do. [Ibn Abu Al-Dunya, Al-Tawbah article 70]
    Ibn Taymiyah said: Allah (SWT) is more merciful to His slaves than the most merciful of mothers to her child, for the One Who made her merciful must be more merciful than her. [Majmoo al-Fataawa, 16/448]
    Beautiful recitation of the Quran is like a key that opens up the treasures of the Quran. Dont use the recitation to marvel at the key but use it as a means to marvel at the treasures that lie beyond the door. Ust. Alomgir Ali
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude. ibn Taymiyyah.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    702 Post(s)

Re: quotes of the salaf thread

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
    “My sin burdened me heavily. But when I measured it against Your Grace, O Lord, Your forgiveness came out
    greater.” – Imam Shafii
    God's grace can only be accessed by faith; otherwise, the sin remains and only God's justice remains.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iamsaved View Post
    God's grace can only be accessed by faith; otherwise, the sin remains and only God's justice remains.
    what part of stop spamming my thread didnt you understand?
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude. ibn Taymiyyah.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    702 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
    what part of stop spamming my thread didnt you understand?
    Truth is not spam dude

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Muhammad b. Sīrīn – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

If the Dajjāl appears, I believe the heretics (People of Desires, Bid’ah) will follow him.
    Al-Lālakā`ī, Sharh Usūl I’tiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah 1:131

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Sufyn b. ‘Uyainah – Allh have mercy on him – said, “The intelligent person is not one who merely knows what is good and what is bad. The intelligent person is one who, when he sees what is good, follows it, and when he sees evil, shuns it.”

Ab Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliy`, Vol. 4 p16.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)

Nice quote but it's not a quote from the salaf that's why Eesa the Kiwi wants you stop posting those kinds of quotes...If you have some of those quotes by early Muslim generations (salaf) then you may post, don't take it as rude but Eesa don't call it spam..
    Some quotes:

Al-Hasan Al-Basri said:

To endure short-lived difficulties that are followed by long lasting ease, is better than hurrying for a short-lived ease that is followed by ever-lasting hardship. [Al-Hilyah, 2/134]

Imam Malik said:

The shield of the Scholar is, I do not know, so if he leaves it down, his attacker will strike him. [Al-Intiqaa, p. 37]

Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal said:

Describe Allah with what He has described Himself with, and negate from Allaah what He has negated from Himself [Manaqibul Imam Ahmad, by Ibn Al-Jawzee, p. 221]

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    702 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qiyamah View Post
    Nice quote but it's not a quote from the salaf that's why Eesa the Kiwi wants you stop posting those kinds of quotes...If you have some of those quotes by early Muslim generations (salaf) then you may post, don't take it as rude but Eesa don't call it spam..
    Some quotes:

Al-Hasan Al-Basri said:

“To endure short-lived difficulties that are followed by long lasting ease, is better than hurrying for a short-lived ease that is followed by ever-lasting hardship.” [Al-Hilyah, 2/134]

Imam Malik said:

“The shield of the Scholar is, ‘I do not know’, so if he leaves it down, his attacker will strike him.” [Al-Intiqaa’, p. 37]

Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal said:

“Describe Allah with what He has described Himself with, and negate from Allaah what He has negated from Himself…” [Manaqibul Imam Ahmad, by Ibn Al-Jawzee, p. 221]
    Okay, I'll start a different thread and respond to some of these quotes

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)

Okay, I'll start a different thread and respond to some of these quotes
    Um I'm confused , why would you respond to those quotes? they aren't questions but sure you are free to start a thread using your own quotes.

Quotes(I didn't read all the quotes so forgive if I repeat )
    Al-Hasan al-Basri said:

“If you see a man competing with you with regard to this world then compete with him concerning the Hereafter.”

One of the salaf said: "Direct me to an action by which I will never cease to be performing for Allah, the Exalted." It was said to him: "Always intend good because you will never cease to be performing even if you do not do any actions. The intention performs even in the absence of any actions. Whoever intended to pray at night and then slept, the reward for what he intended will be written for him."

It is reported from Sufyan ath-Thawri ibn SaidI that he said: "They used to hate fame and reputation due to wearing nice garments so that eyes would stretch towards them."

It is reported from 'Ali (radhiallahu 'anhu) that he said: "The one who shows off has three characteristics: He is lazy when by himself, he is lively and energetic when with others and he increases in his actions when he is praised and decreases in them when he is criticised."

It is reported from Al-Hasan (radhiallahu 'anhu) that he said: "The one who shows off desires to overcome what Allah has decreed for him. He is an evil person who desires to inform the people that he is righteous in order to hear what they would say. He has obtained a position of vileness and wickedness from his Lord. It is therefore essential for the hearts of the believers to recognise him."

Ibn al-Qayyim (rahimahullah) said: "Ikhlas is the tawhid of one's wish/intent."

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    702 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qiyamah View Post
    Um I'm confused , why would you respond to those quotes? they aren't questions but sure you are free to start a thread using your own quotes.

Quotes(I didn't read all the quotes so forgive if I repeat )
    Al-Hasan al-Basri said:

“If you see a man competing with you with regard to this world then compete with him concerning the Hereafter.”

One of the salaf said: "Direct me to an action by which I will never cease to be performing for Allah, the Exalted." It was said to him: "Always intend good because you will never cease to be performing even if you do not do any actions. The intention performs even in the absence of any actions. Whoever intended to pray at night and then slept, the reward for what he intended will be written for him."

It is reported from Sufyan ath-Thawri ibn SaidI that he said: "They used to hate fame and reputation due to wearing nice garments so that eyes would stretch towards them."

It is reported from 'Ali (radhiallahu 'anhu) that he said: "The one who shows off has three characteristics: He is lazy when by himself, he is lively and energetic when with others and he increases in his actions when he is praised and decreases in them when he is criticised."

It is reported from Al-Hasan (radhiallahu 'anhu) that he said: "The one who shows off desires to overcome what Allah has decreed for him. He is an evil person who desires to inform the people that he is righteous in order to hear what they would say. He has obtained a position of vileness and wickedness from his Lord. It is therefore essential for the hearts of the believers to recognise him."

Ibn al-Qayyim (rahimahullah) said: "Ikhlas is the tawhid of one's wish/intent."
    True, they are not questions; I just like to show my reaction to them. I responded to one on one of my threads addressed to you

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

And verily for everything that a slave loses there is a substitute, but the one who loses Allah(God) will never find anything to replace Him.
    Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Jubayr b. Nufayr said:

I entered upon Abū Al-Dardāʾ – Allāh be pleased with him – at his home in Ḥims and found him standing in prayer at his place of prayer. When he sat for tashahhud he started to seek protection with Allāh from al-nifāq (hypocrisy). So when he had finished praying, I said “May Allāh forgive you o Abū Al-Dardāʾ, what have you got to do with nifāq?” He said, “O Allāh forgive!”, three times, and replied, “Who can feel secure from trial, who can feel secure from trial? By Allāh, a man can be tested with fitnah in a single hour and turn away from his religion.”

Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān 1:857.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

On the authority of ‘Abdullh Ibn Mas’d – Allh be pleased with him, who said:

May Allh curse those women who tattoo or seek to be tattooed, those women who remove facial hair or seek it to be removed and those women who put gaps between their teeth for beautification; those who seek to change Allh’s creation.

This reached a woman from Ban Asad who was called Umm Ya’qb and who used to read the Qur`n. She came to [Ibn Mas’d] and said, “What is this I hear from you, that you curse women who tattoo or seek to get tattooed, and those who remove facial hair and those who put gaps between their teeth for beauty, those who change Allh’s creation?” ‘Abdullh [Ibn Mas’d] replied, “And why should I not curse those whom Allh’s Messenger has cursed and those who are mentioned in Allh’s Book?” She said, “I have read [the Qur`n] from cover to cover and I have not seen it mentioned.” He replied, “If you had really read it [carefully] you would have found it; Allh the Mighty and Sublime said:

And whatever the Messenger gives you, take it; and whatever he forbids you, shun it. [Al-Hashr (59):7]

The woman then said, “Well I have just seen some of this on your own wife.” He said, “Go and see her.” So she went to the wife of ‘Abdullh but didn’t see anything. She returned to him and said, “I don’t see anything.” He said, “Well, if any of those practices had been done I would not be with her any more.”

Al-Bukhr and Muslim. This translation is from the version in Muslim.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrī – Allāh have mercy on him – once said during the funeral of a man:

May Allāh have mercy on the man who works for the likes of this day; for today you are able to do what these brothers of yours, the residents of these graves, cannot do. So make full use of your health and free time before the day of distress and accounts comes upon you.

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Dhamm Al-Dunyā article 53.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

Hudhayfah b. Al-Yamān – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

The munāfiqūn (hypocrites) amongst you today are worse than those in the time of Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him.

He was asked, “How is that o Abū ‘Abdillāh”?
    He replied:
    Because those [in the time of the Prophet] used to hide their nifāq (hypocrisy), whereas the hypocrites of today commit [hypocrisy] openly.

Al-Bukhārī, Al-Sahīh hadith 7113.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Imām Al-Shāfiʿī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Do not live in a land in which there is neither a scholar to inform you about your religion, nor a doctor to tell you about your body.

Al-Bayhaqī, Manāqib Al-Shāfiʿī 2:115

Odan
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1366 Post(s)

Before I forget.....

Ibn Taymiyah rahimahullah said "Remembrance of Allah is to the heart what water is to the fish".

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Ya’lā b. ‘Ubayd said, “We entered upon Ibn Sūqah, who said: ‘O nephew, let me relate to you something that will hopefully benefit you; for it benefited me. ‘Atā b. Abī Rabāh once said to us:'”

Those before you used to consider idle talk to be anything other than the Book of Allāh, or the enjoining of good, or the forbidding of evil, or speaking for the sake of your basic living needs. Do you deny that there are recording angels appointed over you? Sitting on your right and your left? Never is a word said except there is an observer prepared to record? Are you not afraid (ashamed) that your record of words and deeds be spread open only to discover that there is nothing of the hereafter in it?

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 5:86

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Ab Ayyb Al-Ansr – Allh be pleased with him – said, “A person might do a single good deed, rely on it and forget sins that he regards insignificant, but then meet Allh (on the Day of Judgment) with those sins surrounding him. And a man might commit a sin, but never stop fearing its consequences, until he meets Allh safe and sound.”

Al-Hfidh Ibn Hajr, Fath Al-Br, references this narration to Asad b. Ms’s Al-Zuhd. A slightly different wording is reported by Ibn Al-Mubrak in Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raq`iq Vol.1 p170.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Al-Khalīl b. Aḥmad said:

Men are of four types: There is the man who knows and he knows that he knows. He is knowledgeable, so follow him and ask him. And there is the man who does not know, and he knows that he does not know. He is ignorant, so teach him. And there is the man who knows, but he does not know that he knows. He is heedless, so remind him. And then there is the man who does not know, but he does not know that he does not know (he thinks he knows). This is the fool (idiot), so beware of him.

Ibn ˁAbd Al-Barr, Jāmiˁ Bayān Al-ˁilm wa Faḍlihī article 1538.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

Aḥmad b. Yūnus reports:

I saw Zuhayr b. Muʿāwiyah come to Zāʾidah b. Qudāmah (d.160H) and speak to him to get him to narrate ḥadīth to a man, so Zāʾidah asked, Is he from Ahl Al-Sunnah? Zuhayr replied, I do not know that he has any bidʿah. Zāʾidah said, No, that is another matter! Is he from Ahl Al-Sunnah? Zuhayr said, Since when have people become like this? Zāʾidah replied, Since when did people curse Abū Bakr and ʿUmar?!

Al-Khaṭīb Al-Baghdādī, Al-Jāmiʿ li Akhlāq Al-Rāwī #754.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Masrūq – Allāh have mercy him – said: There is no house better for the believer than the niche of his grave, for then he will rest from the worries of this world, and be secured from the punishment of Allāh.

Ibid. #87

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrī – Allāh have mercy on him – once said during the funeral of a man:

May Allāh have mercy on the man who works for the likes of this day; for today you are able to do what these brothers of yours, the residents of these graves, cannot do. So make full use of your health and free time before the day of distress and accounts comes upon you.

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Dhamm Al-Dunyā article 53.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that ʿUthmān b. ʿAffān – Allāh be pleased with him – once addressed the people in a sermon. He praised Allāh, then said:

O people! Fear Allāh and obey Him, for piety is a valuable prize. Verily the most intelligent person is he who takes account of himself and works for what comes after death, and acquires through the light (guidance) of Allāh a light for the darkness of the grave.

The servant of Allāh should fear lest Allāh the Mighty and Sublime resurrects him blind though he used to see. A few comprehensive words can be enough for a wise man, whereas the deaf (who does not listen to guidance) is being called from afar.

And know that whoever Allāh the Mighty and Sublime is with has nothing to fear; but whoever Allāh the Mighty and Sublime is against, then in whom can he hope after Allāh?!

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9765 Post(s)

...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaNdOm View Post
    wa iyaak

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

On the authority of ‘Abdullh Ibn Mas’d – Allh be pleased with him, who said:

May Allh curse those women who tattoo or seek to be tattooed, those women who remove facial hair or seek it to be removed and those women who put gaps between their teeth for beautification; those who seek to change Allh’s creation.

This reached a woman from Ban Asad who was called Umm Ya’qb and who used to read the Qur`n. She came to [Ibn Mas’d] and said, “What is this I hear from you, that you curse women who tattoo or seek to get tattooed, and those who remove facial hair and those who put gaps between their teeth for beauty, those who change Allh’s creation?” ‘Abdullh [Ibn Mas’d] replied, “And why should I not curse those whom Allh’s Messenger has cursed and those who are mentioned in Allh’s Book?” She said, “I have read [the Qur`n] from cover to cover and I have not seen it mentioned.” He replied, “If you had really read it [carefully] you would have found it; Allh the Mighty and Sublime said:

And whatever the Messenger gives you, take it; and whatever he forbids you, shun it. [Al-Hashr (59):7]

The woman then said, “Well I have just seen some of this on your own wife.” He said, “Go and see her.” So she went to the wife of ‘Abdullh but didn’t see anything. She returned to him and said, “I don’t see anything.” He said, “Well, if any of those practices had been done I would not be with her any more.”

Al-Bukhr and Muslim. This translation is from the version in Muslim.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2551 Post(s)

I swear by the One with whom there is no other god to be worshipped, a believer was never given anything better than to have good thoughts of Allaah. I swear by the One with whom there is no other god to be worshipped, never does a believer think good of Allaah, except that Allaah would give him that which he thought Allaah would give him; this is because all good is in His Hand. (Ibn Mas’ood)

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Ibrhm b. Adham (d162H) – Allh have mercy on him – once passed through the market of Basrah. People gathered around him and asked:

O Ab Ishq, Allh the Exalted says in his Book. ‘Call on me, I will answer your prayers’, but we have been calling on Him for a long time and He does not answer our prayers. [Ibrhm] replied, “O people of Basrah, your hearts have died in respect to ten things: First, you know Allh but you do not give Him His rights; second, you have read Allh’s Book but you do not act by it; third, you claim to love Allh’s Messenger – Allh’s peace and blessings be upon him – yet you abandon his Sunnah; fourth, you claim to be enemies to Shaytn but you conform to [his ways]; fifth, you say you love Paradise yet you do not work for it; sixth, you say you fear The Fire yet you put yourselves closer to it [by sinning]; seventh, you say death is true but you do not prepare for it; eighth, you busy yourselves with the faults of others and disregard your own; ninth, you consume the favors of your Lord but are not grateful for them; and tenth, you bury your dead but take no lesson from them.”

Ab Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliy’ 8: 15, 16.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Sufyn Al-Thawr – Allh have mercy on him – said:

If you loved a man for Allh and then he innovates in Islm and you don’t hate him for it, you never [truly] loved him for Allh.

Ab Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliy` 7:34.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that ‘Umar b. Al-Khattb – Allh be pleased with him – said:

We were once in a time when we did not think anyone learned the Quran seeking anything but Allh the Exalted, but now I fear there are men who learn it and intend the people and what they can get from them. So seek Allh with your recitation and deeds. For verily, we used to know you when Allh’s Messenger – Allh’s peace and blessings be upon him – was amongst us, when revelation would descend and Allh would tell us about you. As for today, Allh’s Messenger – peace and blessings be upon him – has passed on, and the revelation has stopped; and I only know you as I say: whoever shows what is good, we love him for it and think good of him, and whoever shows what is evil, we hate him for it and suspect him. Your secret and private matters are between you and your Lord the Mighty and Majestic.

Al-jurr, Akhlq Hamalat Al-Qur`n article 26.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Al-Fuḍayl b. ʿAyyāḍ – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Do not mix except with those who have good character; for the one who has good character brings nothing but good, whilst the one who has bad character brings nothing but evil.

Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān, #87044

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Khālid b. Maʿdān – Allāh have mercy him – said:

Whoever seeks praise by [saying or doing] what goes against Allāh, Allāh will turn those praises back on him to blame; and whoever is bold enough to [say or do] what brings blame [from people but] is in conformity to the truth, Allāh will turn that blame into praise.

Abū Dāwūd, Al-Zuhd #494.

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9765 Post(s)

...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2551 Post(s)

"Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response but rather, it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam as-Shafi’i rahimahullah
    رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that ‘Alī b. Abī Tālib – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

Mention what you will of the greatness of Allāh, but Allāh is greater than anything you say. And mention what you will of the Fire, but it is more severe than anything you say. And mention what you will of Paradise, but it is better than anything you say.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm article 853.

~dreamer
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1800 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Uthmaan View Post
    "Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response but rather, it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam as-Shafi’i rahimahullah
    O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity~ Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basr – Allh have mercy on him – said:

One who acts without knowledge is like one who travels off the path; and the one who acts without knowledge corrupts more than he rectifies. So seek knowledge in a way that does not harm your worship, and seek to worship [Allh] in a way that does not harm [your seeking of] knowledge. For verily, there were people (the Khawrij extremists) who sought to worship [Allh] but abandoned knowledge until they attacked the Ummah of Muhammad – Allh’s praise and peace be upon him – with their swords. But if they had sought knowledge, it would not have directed them to do what they did.

Quoted by Ibn ‘Abd Al-Barr, Jmi’ Bayn Al-‘Ilm wa Fadlihi article 905.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

It is reported that the son of Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyd – Allh have mercy on him – said to his father:

Father! How sweet (beautiful) the speech of the Companions is! [Al-Fudayl] said, “Son, do you know why it was so sweet?” He replied, “No father, I do not.” He said, “Because they sought Allh the Exalted when they spoke.”

Al-Bayhaq, Shu’ab Al-mn 2:299

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3625 Post(s)

A man once asked ʿAbdullāh b. ʿAmr b. Al-ʿĀṣ – Allāh be pleased with them:

“Are we not from the poor of the Muhājirīn?” He replied, “Do you have a wife to go back to?” The man replied, “Yes.” ʿAbdullāh asked, “Do you have a home to live in?” The man said, “Yes.” ʿAbdullāh said, “Then you are one of the rich.” The man said, “And I have a servant.” ʿAbdullāh said, “In that case, you are a king!”

Muslim, Al-Ṣaḥīḥ #5290

Odan
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1366 Post(s)

Sufyan ath-Thawri rahimahullah said "Treat the Ahlus-sunnah kindly for verily they are strangers."