Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

quotes of the salaf thread

here are some i found (source https://contemplatequran.wordpress.com/quotes/), ill post more if i come across them inshaallah
    please feel free to add your own

Abu Dharr Al-Ghifaari (RA) said: “A person possessing two dirhams will have a harsher reckoning on the Day of Judgment than a person who possesses just one dirham, and a person who possesses two dinars will have a harsher reckoning than someone who possesses only one.” [Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqaa`iq article 555}
    I love the pious people even though i am not one of them and i dislike the evil people even though i may be worse than them. Ibn mubarak
    The wise Companion ibn Mas’ud (may Allah be pleased with him) said, “I have never regretted anything as much as a day on which the sun sets and my life span decreases, while my good deeds have not increased.”
    Ibn Al-Jawzee said: “This worldly life only impresses those with no intellect. Similar to how vain dreams please the sleeper, imaginary games are perceived by a child, whereas a sensible person cannot be deceived by such delusion.” [Kitaab Al-Lataa’if Fil-Waa’iz, pg. 61]
    “Knowledge without action is arrogance.” – Imam Ash-Shafi’ee (rahimahumAllah)
    Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (radiyAllahu’anhu): “Indeed Allah forgives Major Sins, so do not despair, and indeed Allah punishes for Minor Sins, so do not be deceived.” (Sharh al-Bukhari by Ibn Battal 19/267)
    Umar Ibn ‘Abdul Azeez was advised: “Oh Umar, beware of being the ally of Allah (SWT) in open, while being His enemy in secret. If one’s nature in open and secret do not equate then he is a hypocrite, and the hypocrites occupy the lowest level in Hellfire.” [Al-Bayhaqi, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabeer, pg.100]
    “The foolish one addresses me with words of disgrace, but I hate to respond to him in a similar manner. The more ignorant he proves, the more patient I become. Just like the incense; the more it’s burnt, the more it releases its fragrance.” – Imam Ash-Shafi’ee (rahimahumAllah)
    Imam As-Shafi’i (rahimahullah): “Whoever does not love knowledge then there is no good in him. So there should not be any acquaintance between you and him, and nor any friendship.” [Muqqadimatul-Majmoo’ Shahil-Muhadhdhab vol.1 pg-42]
    “A person is not ready for death if he still thinks he will live tomorrow.”
    Sufyan At-Thawri (رحمة الله)
    The great ascetic Shaqiq al-Balaki May Allah have mercy upon him] was once asked, ‘What is the mark of [true] repentance?’ He replied, ‘Continued crying over past sins, deep fear of falling into them again, staying away from bad company, and keeping the company of good people’
    Imam Al-Hasan Al-Basree (may Allah have mercy on him) said: “We laugh and yet who knows? Perhaps Allah has looked at some of our works and said: ‘I will not accept anything from you.’ Woe to you, son of Adam! Can you fight Allah? Whoever disobeys Allah is fighting Him. By Allah! I have met seventy veterans of Badr. Most of their garments were wool. Had you seen them you would have said they are crazy, and had they seen the best among you they would have said: ‘Those people will have no part in the Hereafter.’ Had they seen the worst among you they would have said: ‘Those people do not believe in the Day of Reckoning.’ I have seen people for whom this world was cheaper than the dust under their feet. I have seen people the like of whom would come home at night, not finding more than his own portion of food, and yet say: ‘I shall not put all of this into my belly. I shall certainly give some away for Allah’s sake.’ Then he would give away some of his food in charity, even if he were more in need of it than its recipient.” – Quoted by Abu Nu’aym in Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya 2/134
    It is reported that Muhammad b. Al-Hanafīyah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
    “Whoever has self respect does not give any value to the worldly life (dunyā)”.
    [Ibn Al-Jawzī, Sifatu Al-Safwah 2:77]
    It was said to Al-Hasan Al-Basri; “People say that the one who has been on Hajj is the one who is forgiven.” He said, “And the sign of this is that he leaves the evils he used to do.” [Ibn Abu Al-Dunya, Al-Tawbah article 70]
    Ibn Taymiyah said: “Allah (SWT) is more merciful to His slaves than the most merciful of mothers to her child, for the One Who made her merciful must be more merciful than her.” [Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 16/448]
    Beautiful recitation of the Qur’an is like a key that opens up the treasures of the Qur’an. Don’t use the recitation to marvel at the key but use it as a means to marvel at the treasures that lie beyond the door. Ust. Alomgir Ali
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Re: quotes of the salaf thread

Wolves in Sheeps’ Clothing

It is reported that Abūl-ʿĀliyah said:

There will come upon the people a time when their hearts will be derelict of the Qurān; they will find neither sweetness nor pleasure by it. If they fall short of doing what they have been commanded to do, they will say: Allāh is most forgiving, merciful (He will forgive us), and if they do what they have been forbidden from doing, they will say: we will be forgiven, we haven’t committed any shirk with Allāh. Their affairs will all be based on [false] hope, having no truth and sincerity with it. They will wear the skins of lambs over hearts of wolves. The best of them in his religion will be someone who compromises.

Imām Aḥmad, Al-Zuhd article 1741.
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

“My sin burdened me heavily. But when I measured it against Your Grace, O Lord, Your forgiveness came out
    greater.” – Imam Shafii

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Muhammad b. Sīrīn – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

If the Dajjāl appears, I believe the heretics (People of Desires, Bid’ah) will follow him.
    Al-Lālakā`ī, Sharh Usūl I’tiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah 1:131

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Wahb b. Munabbih – Allāh have mercy on him – used to say:

The believer mixes with others in order to learn, keeps quiet to keep safe (from sinning), speaks in order to understand, and secludes himself for the attainment (of good).

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-‘Uzlah article 99.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Salmân Al-Fârsî – Allâh be pleased with him – once visited a sick friend. When he entered upon him he said:

Have glad tidings, for verily Allâh makes the illness of a believer an expiation [for his sins] and a cause of being pleased, whereas the illness of a sinner is like a camel that has been tied by its owners, then released by them: it knows not why it was tied up nor why it was released.

Al-Bukhârî, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad in the Chapter on the Expiation [of sins through] illness. Graded sahîh by Shaykh Al-Albânî in Sahîh Al-Adab Al-Mufrad

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Sufyân b. ‘Uyainah – Allâh have mercy on him – said, “The intelligent person is not one who merely knows what is good and what is bad. The intelligent person is one who, when he sees what is good, follows it, and when he sees evil, shuns it.”

Abű Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ`, Vol. 4 p16.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported form Abű Al-Dardâ – Allâh be pleased with him – that he said, “Three make me laugh, and three make me cry.

Those that make me laugh are a person who puts his hopes in this worldly life while death pursues him, a person who is heedless [of his Lord] while [his Lord] is not heedless of him, and a person who always laughs while he does not know whether he has pleased Allâh or angered Him.

What makes me cry is being separated from my beloved: Muhammad and his party (the Companions), the horrors of the time of death, and standing in front of Allâh ‘azza wa jall on the Day when the secrets will be revealed and I do not know will I then go to Paradise or Hell?”

Ibn Al-Mubârak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq article 250.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Abdur-Razzaq said, narrating from Ma`mar, from Al-Hasan Al-Basri, who recited this Ayah:

﴿وَمَنْ أَحْسَنُ قَوْلاً مِّمَّن دَعَآ إِلَى اللَّهِ وَعَمِلَ صَـلِحاً وَقَالَ إِنَّنِى مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِينَ ﴾

(And who is better in speech than he who invites to Allah, and does righteous deeds, and says: "I am one of the Muslims.'') and said, "This is the beloved of Allah, this is the close friend of Allah, this is the chosen one of Allah, this is the most beloved of the all the people of earth to Allah. He responded to the call of Allah and called mankind to that to which he had responded. He did righteous deeds in response and said, `I am one of the Muslims.' This is Allah's Khalifah.''

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrî – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

One who acts without knowledge is like one who travels off the path; and the one who acts without knowledge corrupts more than he rectifies. So seek knowledge in a way that does not harm your worship, and seek to worship [Allâh] in a way that does not harm [your seeking of] knowledge. For verily, there were people (the Khawârij extremists) who sought to worship [Allâh] but abandoned knowledge until they attacked the Ummah of Muhammad – Allâh’s praise and peace be upon him – with their swords. But if they had sought knowledge, it would not have directed them to do what they did.

Quoted by Ibn ‘Abd Al-Barr, Jâmi’ Bayân Al-‘Ilm wa Fadlihi article 905.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
    “My sin burdened me heavily. But when I measured it against Your Grace, O Lord, Your forgiveness came out
    greater.” – Imam Shafii
    So true, may allah have mercy upon us and forgive us

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by muslimainblack View Post
    So true, may allah have mercy upon us and forgive us
    ameen

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2425 Post(s)

It is reported that Wahb b. Munabbih – Allāh have mercy on him – used to say:

The believer mixes with others in order to learn, keeps quiet to keep safe (from sinning), speaks in order to understand, and secludes himself for the attainment (of good).

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-‘Uzlah article 99.

Salaam

i liked this one! I started talking less recently and i think its for the better lol.. my big mouth always gets me into trouble.
    The Prophet (saw) advised to: “Take benefit of five before five: Your youth before your old age, your health before your sickness, your wealth before your poverty, your free time before you are preoccupied, and your life before your death
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgE...kS-Qi3nf3tcvPw

~dreamer
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1800 Post(s)

O my soul! It is not, except a few days of patience; As if the extent were but a few dreams. O my soul! Pass quickly on through this world; And leave it, for indeed life lies ahead of it.~ Imam Ash-Shafii

" Were this world to be sold on the market, I would not buy it for a loaf of bread, for all the troubles it contains
    .” – Imam Shafi’i
    Last edited by *sheba*; 13-11-15 at 06:42 AM.
    O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity~ Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by *sheba* View Post
    O my soul! It is not, except a few days of patience; As if the extent were but a few dreams. O my soul! Pass quickly on through this world; And leave it, for indeed life lies ahead of it.~ Imam Ash-Shafii

" Were this world to be sold on the market, I would not buy it for a loaf of bread, for all the troubles it contains
    .” – Imam Shafi’i
    Jazak Allah khair sister these are brilliant

~dreamer
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1800 Post(s)

Jazak Allah khair sister these are brilliant
    Yeah, I love that first one. Wa iyyak
    O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity~ Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that ‘Alî b. Abî Tâlib – Allâh be pleased with him – said:

Goodness is not in your wealth and offspring being plentiful; true goodness is when your [good] deeds are plenty and you have great understanding and forbearance, and when you compete to worship your Lord. If you do good you praise Allâh and thank Him, and if you sin you beg Allâh’s forgiveness. There is no good in this life except with two types of men: A man who sins but then corrects himself through repentance, and a man who strives and hastens to get [the good] of the hereafter.

Ibn ‘Asâkir, Al-Tawbah article 13.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Ibn Umar passed by a man who had fallen down. Thereupon he asked: What is the matter with him? They said: When the Qur'aan is recited to him, this is what happens. He (Ibn Umar) said: We fear Allah but we do not fall down.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Abdullâh b. ‘Abbâs – Allâh be pleased with them – said:

O Muslims, how can you ask the People of the Book [about their scripture] when the Book of Allâh that was revealed to your Prophet – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him – is the most recent news of Allâh; you recite it complete and unaltered? Allâh has informed you that they replaced what Allâh wrote and changed the Book with their hands and said ‘This is from Allâh,’ to purchase with it a measly price (Quran 2:79). Does not the knowledge that has come to you forbid you from asking them? By Allâh, we have not seen a single man among them asking you about what was revealed to you.

Al-Bukhârî, Al-Sahîh hadith 2685, Chapter on not asking the Polytheists for testimonies or anything else. He also records it in other chapters.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Ibn Masood (may Allah be pleased with him) said to his Companions:

إنكم في زمان كثير علماؤه ، قليل خطباؤه ، وسيأتي بعدكم زمان قليل علماؤه،كثير خطباؤه

You [live] in a time when scholars are many and orators are few. There will come after you a time [in which] scholars will be few and orators many.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

There will come upon the people a time when their hearts will be derelict of the Qurān; they will find neither sweetness nor pleasure by it. If they fall short of doing what they have been commanded to do, they will say: Allāh is most forgiving, merciful (He will forgive us), and if they do what they have been forbidden from doing, they will say: we will be forgiven, we haven’t committed any shirk with Allāh. Their affairs will all be based on [false] hope, having no truth and sincerity with it. They will wear the skins of lambs over hearts of wolves. The best of them in his religion will be someone who compromises.

Odan
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1366 Post(s)

how true this is

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported from Al-Ḵalīl b. Aḥmad – Allāh have mercy on him – that if he ever benefitted someone with something, he would never make out that he had benefitted him, but if he ever benefitted from someone, he would show him that he had benefitted from him.
    Op. cit. 7:431

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Mufaddal b. Muhalhal – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
    If the heretic started mentioning his bid’ah right at the beginning of the sitting, you would be on your guard and flee from him, but what he does is begin by mentioning hadīth from the Sunnah. Then, he slips his bid’ah in on you. It might then stick to your heart; but when will it leave your heart?

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibānah Al-Kubrā, 2:444.

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

It is reported that Mufaddal b. Muhalhal – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
    If the heretic started mentioning his bid’ah right at the beginning of the sitting, you would be on your guard and flee from him, but what he does is begin by mentioning hadīth from the Sunnah. Then, he slips his bid’ah in on you. It might then stick to your heart; but when will it leave your heart?

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibānah Al-Kubrā, 2:444.
    that hit hard
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Salmân Al-Fârsî – Allâh be pleased with him – once visited a sick friend. When he entered upon him he said:

Have glad tidings, for verily Allâh makes the illness of a believer an expiation [for his sins] and a cause of being pleased, whereas the illness of a sinner is like a camel that has been tied by its owners, then released by them: it knows not why it was tied up nor why it was released.

Al-Bukhârî, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad in the Chapter on the Expiation [of sins through] illness. Graded sahîh by Shaykh Al-Albânî in Sahîh Al-Adab Al-Mufrad.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    465 Post(s)

Mureeh ibn Masruq reported: Umar ibn Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, used to say, “You imagine that you are believers, yet among you a believer is starving?”

Source: Musnad Ash-Shamiyeen 1018

عَنْ مُرِيحِ بْنِ مَسْرُوقٍ عَنْ عُمَرَ بْنِ الْخَطَّابِ أَنَّهُ كَانَ يَقُولُ تَزْعُمُونَ أَنَّكُمْ مُؤْمِنُونَ وَفِيكُمْ مُؤْمِنٌ جَائِعٌ

1018 مسند الشاميين للطبراني ما انتهى إلينا من مسند صفوان عن المثنى بن يزيد

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Imām Al-Zuhrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

We used to sometimes come to a scholar and what we learned of his manners was more beloved to us than the knowledge we took from him.

Abū Nuʿaym, Ḥilyatu Al-ʾAwliyāʾ #4575

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Ibn al-Mubarak(Ra) said, "I studied adaab (Manners) for 30 years and I studied knowledge for 20 years."
    "The organisation that is called as "the state" puts effort to destroy jihad in Sham as they destroyed it in Iraq because of their obvious transgressions against Quran and Sunnah." Abu Khalid as-Suri (Rahimahullah)

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Imaam Al-Mujtahid Muhammad bin Jareer Al-Tabari said in his book تهذيب الآثار:

إن من المسلمين من يخرج من الإسلام من غير أن يقصد الخروج منه

Indeed, from among the Muslims is he who exits from Islaam without intending to exit from it.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Mu’āwiyah b. Qurrah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
    Those who will be taken to account most on the Day of Resurrection are those who were healthy and unoccupied.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm 4:152

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. ʿAmr b. Al-ʿĀs – Allāh be pleased with them – said:

Leave alone what you have nothing to do with, and do not speak about what does not concern you, and secure your tongue like you secure your money.

Ibn Ḥibbān Al-Bustī, Rawḍatu Al-ʿUqalāʾ 1:55.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. ʿAmr b. Al-ʿĀs – Allāh be pleased with them – said:

Leave alone what you have nothing to do with, and do not speak about what does not concern you, and secure your tongue like you secure your money.

Ibn Ḥibbān Al-Bustī, Rawḍatu Al-ʿUqalāʾ 1:55.

Mentioned
    1124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9764 Post(s)

...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    [Al-Imran 3:159]

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    702 Post(s)

Wolves in Sheeps’ Clothing

Why does he say there will come a time? That time already existed during his time and exists still today. What is the point? Besides, there is a Scripture like that in the gospel that says people won't endure sound doctrine. But that time is here and has been here since before Imām Aḥmad, Al-Zuhd said it.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iamsaved View Post
    Why does he say there will come a time? That time already existed during his time and exists still today. What is the point? Besides, there is a Scripture like that in the gospel that says people won't endure sound doctrine. But that time is here and has been here since before Imām Aḥmad, Al-Zuhd said it.
    stop derailing good threads with your christian nonsense
    there is other sections of the forum designated for annoying people like you
    stay off this thread its not meant to be a debate

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that ‘Awn b. ‘Abdillâh, the ascetic and jurist, said, “Sit with the repentant, for they have the softest hearts.”

Abű Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ` Vol. 2 p192.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    702 Post(s)

stop derailing good threads with your christian nonsense
    there is other sections of the forum designated for annoying people like you
    stay off this thread its not meant to be a debate
    Oh, okay it was just a question not a debate. You find questions annoying uhm?

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Oh, okay it was just a question not a debate. You find questions annoying uhm?
    when it comes from you yes

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    702 Post(s)

when it comes from you yes
    that is discrimination without reason

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

that is discrimination without reason
    no its because i dont want this thread spammed with a comparative religion debate which if i answer you is exactly what it will turn into