Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,080 of 1192
    islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

quotes of the salaf thread

here are some i found (source https://contemplatequran.wordpress.com/quotes/), ill post more if i come across them inshaallah
    please feel free to add your own

Abu Dharr Al-Ghifaari (RA) said: “A person possessing two dirhams will have a harsher reckoning on the Day of Judgment than a person who possesses just one dirham, and a person who possesses two dinars will have a harsher reckoning than someone who possesses only one.” [Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqaa`iq article 555}
    I love the pious people even though i am not one of them and i dislike the evil people even though i may be worse than them. Ibn mubarak
    The wise Companion ibn Mas’ud (may Allah be pleased with him) said, “I have never regretted anything as much as a day on which the sun sets and my life span decreases, while my good deeds have not increased.”
    Ibn Al-Jawzee said: “This worldly life only impresses those with no intellect. Similar to how vain dreams please the sleeper, imaginary games are perceived by a child, whereas a sensible person cannot be deceived by such delusion.” [Kitaab Al-Lataa’if Fil-Waa’iz, pg. 61]
    “Knowledge without action is arrogance.” – Imam Ash-Shafi’ee (rahimahumAllah)
    Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (radiyAllahu’anhu): “Indeed Allah forgives Major Sins, so do not despair, and indeed Allah punishes for Minor Sins, so do not be deceived.” (Sharh al-Bukhari by Ibn Battal 19/267)
    Umar Ibn ‘Abdul Azeez was advised: “Oh Umar, beware of being the ally of Allah (SWT) in open, while being His enemy in secret. If one’s nature in open and secret do not equate then he is a hypocrite, and the hypocrites occupy the lowest level in Hellfire.” [Al-Bayhaqi, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabeer, pg.100]
    “The foolish one addresses me with words of disgrace, but I hate to respond to him in a similar manner. The more ignorant he proves, the more patient I become. Just like the incense; the more it’s burnt, the more it releases its fragrance.” – Imam Ash-Shafi’ee (rahimahumAllah)
    Imam As-Shafi’i (rahimahullah): “Whoever does not love knowledge then there is no good in him. So there should not be any acquaintance between you and him, and nor any friendship.” [Muqqadimatul-Majmoo’ Shahil-Muhadhdhab vol.1 pg-42]
    “A person is not ready for death if he still thinks he will live tomorrow.”
    Sufyan At-Thawri (رحمة الله)
    The great ascetic Shaqiq al-Balaki May Allah have mercy upon him] was once asked, ‘What is the mark of [true] repentance?’ He replied, ‘Continued crying over past sins, deep fear of falling into them again, staying away from bad company, and keeping the company of good people’
    Imam Al-Hasan Al-Basree (may Allah have mercy on him) said: “We laugh and yet who knows? Perhaps Allah has looked at some of our works and said: ‘I will not accept anything from you.’ Woe to you, son of Adam! Can you fight Allah? Whoever disobeys Allah is fighting Him. By Allah! I have met seventy veterans of Badr. Most of their garments were wool. Had you seen them you would have said they are crazy, and had they seen the best among you they would have said: ‘Those people will have no part in the Hereafter.’ Had they seen the worst among you they would have said: ‘Those people do not believe in the Day of Reckoning.’ I have seen people for whom this world was cheaper than the dust under their feet. I have seen people the like of whom would come home at night, not finding more than his own portion of food, and yet say: ‘I shall not put all of this into my belly. I shall certainly give some away for Allah’s sake.’ Then he would give away some of his food in charity, even if he were more in need of it than its recipient.” – Quoted by Abu Nu’aym in Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya 2/134
    It is reported that Muhammad b. Al-Hanafīyah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
    “Whoever has self respect does not give any value to the worldly life (dunyā)”.
    [Ibn Al-Jawzī, Sifatu Al-Safwah 2:77]
    It was said to Al-Hasan Al-Basri; “People say that the one who has been on Hajj is the one who is forgiven.” He said, “And the sign of this is that he leaves the evils he used to do.” [Ibn Abu Al-Dunya, Al-Tawbah article 70]
    Ibn Taymiyah said: “Allah (SWT) is more merciful to His slaves than the most merciful of mothers to her child, for the One Who made her merciful must be more merciful than her.” [Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 16/448]
    Beautiful recitation of the Qur’an is like a key that opens up the treasures of the Qur’an. Don’t use the recitation to marvel at the key but use it as a means to marvel at the treasures that lie beyond the door. Ust. Alomgir Ali
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Re: quotes of the salaf thread

It is reported that Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyād – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
    Whoever sees a wrongdoing from his brother and then laughs in front of him has betrayed him.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm 5:115
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Muhammad b. Sīrīn – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

If the Dajjāl appears, I believe the heretics (People of Desires, Bid’ah) will follow him.
    Al-Lālakā`ī, Sharh Usūl I’tiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah 1:131

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Real Men

It is reported that ‘Umar b. Al-Khattāb – Allāh be pleased with him – said:
    Do not be impressed by the twitter of an individual. But one who fulfils his duty and trust, and refrains from [transgressing against] the honor of people is the real man.

Al-Bayhaqī, Al-Sunan Al-Kubrā article 12345.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Sufyān Al-Thawrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

There is nothing that corrupts a person or rectifies him more than [his] companion.

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibānah Al-Kubrā article 504.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    679 Post(s)

O foolish man, you are sinful, yet you consider yourself to be noble, you are ignorant, yet you claim you have knowledge. (Fuduail RA)

You seek salvation, yet you choose not to tread it's path, remember well, the boat and vessel cannot sail on land.
    (Imaam Shafee R.A)

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

it is reported that ʿUthmān b. ʿAffān – Allāh be pleased with him – once addressed the people in a sermon. He praised Allāh, then said:

O people! Fear Allāh and obey Him, for piety is a valuable prize. Verily the most intelligent person is he who takes account of himself and works for what comes after death, and acquires through the light (guidance) of Allāh a light for the darkness of the grave.

The servant of Allāh should fear lest Allāh the Mighty and Sublime resurrects him blind though he used to see. A few comprehensive words can be enough for a wise man, whereas the deaf (who does not listen to guidance) is being called from afar.

And know that whoever Allāh the Mighty and Sublime is with has nothing to fear; but whoever Allāh the Mighty and Sublime is against, then in whom can he hope after Allāh?!

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Mālik b. Mighwal said:

Al-Sha’bī once said to me, “When these [people] report to you from Allāh’s Messenger – praise and peace of Allāh be upon him, adhere to it; but when they merely opine, throw it in the trash.”

Al-Dārimī, Al-Sunan 1:78.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Four Types of People in this World Entering a Conversation
    by Imam Shafi'ee rahimahullah.

There are four types of people in this world who enter a
    conversation/ discussion:

1. One who knows not, and himself knows he knows not, is a
    student. Teach that person.

2. One who knows, and others know he knows, is a teacher. Learn
    from that person.

3. One who knows, and himself knows not that he knows, is
    humble. Encourage him.

4. One who knows not, and himself knows not that he knows not,
    is stupid. Avoid that person.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Meet people in such a manner that if you die,
    they should weep for you,
    and if you live,
    they should long for you
    - Ali (radi Allahu anhu)

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Al-Ahnaf b. Qays – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

I find it amazing how anyone who passed through the urinary tract twice could ever be arrogant and haughty!

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 4:92.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Fudayl ibn `Iyad (rahimahullah) said, "A believer plants a palm tree and fears that thorns will grow. The hypocrites plant thorns expecting ripe dates to grow!"

Odan
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    548 Post(s)

I just found this good thread. Brothers and sisters, keep up the good work.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Ibn Qudamah (rahimahumullah) once said that when one slanders you, you should be thankful that he spoke something about you which was untrue, for there are many blemishes on your account which are true which Allah hid from the world

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Ibrāhīm b. Ad-ham – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Zuhd (abstinence from materialism, asceticism) is of three types: (i) obligatory zuhd, (ii) virtuous zuhd and (iii) zuhd for safety. Obligatory zuhd is to abstain from what is forbidden (harām); virtuous zuhd is to be disinterested in what is allowed (of this world); and zuhd for safety is to stay away from doubtful matters.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm article 905.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that ‘Alī b. Abī Tālib – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

Mention what you will of the greatness of Allāh, but Allāh is greater than anything you say. And mention what you will of the Fire, but it is more severe than anything you say. And mention what you will of Paradise, but it is better than anything you say.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm article 853.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

"Watch your eye, should it ever reveal to you the faults of others, say to it - Oh my eye, other people have eyes too"

~Imaam Al-Shafi (ra)

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Abu Darda said: "Three make me laugh. Those that make me laugh are a person who puts his hopes in this worldly life while death pursues him, a person who is heedless of Allah while Allah is not heedless of him, and a person who always laughs while he does not know whether he has pleased Allah or angered Him." (Collected by Ibn Al Mubarak)

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrī – Allāh have mercy on him – once said during the funeral of a man:

May Allāh have mercy on the man who works for the likes of this day; for today you are able to do what these brothers of yours, the residents of these graves, cannot do. So make full use of your health and free time before the day of distress and accounts comes upon you.

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Dhamm Al-Dunyā article 53.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Abū Ja’far reports:

Whenever Ibn ‘Umar – Allāh be pleased with him – heard a hadīth from Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him – he never went beyond it, and he never fell short of it.

Ibn Mājah, Al-Sunan, hadīth #4. Shaykh Al-Albānī graded this narration sahīh in his edition of the Sunan.

Shaykh Al-Albānī explained that ‘he never went beyond it’ means: he never added anything to what was in the hadīth or overstepped the bounds of the hadīth; and ‘he never fell short of it’ means: he never neglected what was in the hadīth.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

al-Fudayl bin ‘Iyad said:

“If you love for the people to have exactly what you have (and nothing more), then you have not been true to your Lord. So, how is it when you secretly wish for them to have less than what you have?”

['Jami' al-'Ulum wal-Hikam'; 1/309]

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

al-Fudayl ibn 'Iyaad (rahimahullah) said:

"There is no night when darkness comes but the Most Majestic calls out, 'Who is more generous than me? My creatures disobey Me but I take care of them in their beds as if they do not disobey Me. I continue to protect them as if they did not sin. I bestow generously upon the one who disobeys and I give generously to the sinner. Who is there that calls Me and I do not respond? Who is there that asks of Me and I do not give?

I am the Most Generous and generosity comes from Me, I am the Most Kind and Kindness comes from Me. It is by My generosity that I give My slave what he asks Me for and what he does not ask Me for. It is by My generosity that I give to the one who repents as if he had never disobeyed Me. So where can my creation flee from Me? Where will the disobedient find refuge other than with Me?"

[The World of Jinn and Devils, 'Umar al-Ashqar, p.219]

On A Hired Plane of Logic LailaTheMuslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2676 Post(s)

'Umar Ibn al-Khattāb رضي الله عنه:

"Do not look to a person's prayer nor his fasting, rather look to how truthful he is when he speaks..."

[موسوعة ابن أبي الدنيا ١/ ٢٣٣-٢٣٤]
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported on the authority of Al-Walīd b. Mazyad that he said:

I heard Al-Awzā’ī say, when I asked him, “Who is a fool?” He replied, “One who is blind to what is wrong (evil), [though] he has insight into what is good.”

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 7:116.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Yūnus b. ‘Ubayd (d. 139H) – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

I only liken the worldly life (dunyā) to a man who, whilst sleeping, sees in his dream things he likes and things he does not like. Then he wakes up (the world ends and the next life starts).

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Dham Al-Dunyā article 21.

It is reported that Al-Ḥasan Al-Baṣrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

The dunyā, from its beginning to its end, is only like a man who takes a nap, sees in his dream what pleases him, and then wakes up.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm article 2056.

On A Hired Plane of Logic LailaTheMuslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2676 Post(s)

Ibn al-Qayyim رحمه الله writes:

He who has tested the slave is the Most Wise, the Most Merciful and He didn’t test him with the affliction to destroy, punish or overwhelm him.

Rather, the affliction is merely a test of his patience, contentment with Allaah and faith.

In addition, Allaah wants to hear the slave’s pleas, du'as and humility before him, seeking refuge with Him, his hearts humbleness before Him and and his explaining his sadness to Him (alone).

[The Prophetic Medicine]
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

“Had Allah lifted the veil for His slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than His own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of dua. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know, that verily Allah does not forget it” – Ibn al Qayyim (rahimahullah).

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Muhammad Ibn Al-Hanafīyah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

He is not wise who does not live in a good way with the person he has no choice but to live with, until Allāh gives him relief from that [situation].

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 4:117 et al. Shaykh Al-Albānī graded it Sahīh in Silsilatu Al-Da’īfah 6:172, after explaining that it is not authentic as a hadīth from the Prophet – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Imām Al-Zuhrī said:

Verily, knowledge has calamities [that afflict it]. One of its calamities is when the scholar is left, until he goes away with his knowledge. Another calamity is forgetting [knowledge]. Yet another calamity is lying about [knowledge], and this is the worst type.

Ibn ‘Abd Al-Barr, Jāmi’ Bayān Al-‘Ilm article 684.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

A man once said to Ibn al-Mubarak: ‘Is there anyone who will advise us?’ He replied, ‘Rather, is there anyone who will accept the advice?’

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Ibrāhīm Al-Taymī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

What a great difference there is between you and those people [of the past, the Salaf]! Worldly wealth came to them but they fled from it, whereas the world turns its back on you and you go after it.
    Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqā`iq article 538.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that ‘Imrān b. Husayn – Allāh be pleased with him – was once relating hadīth amongst a group of people, when a man said:

Leave this and give us something from the Book of Allāh. ‘Imrān said, “You are a dunce (stupid). Do you find in the Book of Allāh details of prayer. Do you find in the Book of Allāh details of fasting!? This Qur`ān prescribes those matters, and the Sunnah explains them.”

Al-Harawī, Dham Al-Kalām article 244, et al with various wordings.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Whoever proposes to the world, then the world would not be satisfied until he gave up his Deen as dowry.
    [Malik bin Dinar]

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

‘Ali Ibn Abee Taalib said:

“The thing I fear for you most is following desires and having extensive hopes (about this worldly life). Following one’s desires blocks you from the truth, and having extensive hopes makes you forget the hereafter. Verily, this worldly life is departing and the hereafter is approaching and each of them has its children. So be children of the hereafter, not children of this world, for today there are (opportunities to do) deeds and there is no reckoning, but tomorrow there will be reckoning and no deeds.” [Aboo Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyaa’, 1/40]

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

"The world is 3 days: As for yesterday, it has vanished along with all that was in it. As for tomorrow, you may never see it. As for today, it is yours, so work on it."
    — Hasan Al-Basri (ra)

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Abū ‘Ubaydah b. Al-Jarrāh – Allāh be pleased with him – said:
    O people! Yes, I am a man from Quraysh, but there is not a white man (literally: red), nor a black man amongst you who exceeds me in righteousness (taqwā) except that I wish I was in his skin.

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 1:18.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

"Let not your tongue mention the shame of another For you yourself are covered in shame and all men have tongues.
    If your eye falls upon the sin of your brother Shield them and say, "Oh my eye! All men have eyes!" - Imam Shaafi'ee

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

It is reported that Mufaddal b. Muhalhal – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
    If the heretic started mentioning his bid’ah right at the beginning of the sitting, you would be on your guard and flee from him, but what he does is begin by mentioning hadīth from the Sunnah. Then, he slips his bid’ah in on you. It might then stick to your heart; but when will it leave your heart?

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibānah Al-Kubrā, 2:444.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Imām Sa’īd b. Al-Musayyib – Allāh have mercy on him – once saw a man praying more than two rak’ah after sunrise the beginning of Fajr, making many bows and prostrations, and so he forbade him. The man said, “O Abu Muhammad, is Allāh going to punish me for praying?” Sa’īd said, “No, but He will punish you for contradicting the Sunnah.”

Al-Bayhaqī, As-Sunan Al-Kubraa 2:466. graded sahīh by Shaykh Al-Albānī. See Irwā Al-Ghalīl 2:236.

Shaykh Al-Albānī writes:

This is one of the superb answers given by Sa’īd b. Al-Musayyib – Allāh have mercy on him. It is a strong weapon against heretics (mubtadi’ah) who recommend many different types of religious innovation in the name of them being dhikr and prayer. They then criticize the followers of the Sunnah for criticizing them, and accuse them of censuring dhikr and prayer, when in fact [Ahl Al-Sunnah] are only criticizing the contravention of the Sunnah in matters such as dhikr and prayer.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

One of the Salaaf said: "Beware of the life of this world because its magic is more effective than that of Harut and Marut. The two latter's separate a man from his wife whereas the life of this world separates a man from his Rabb.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3612 Post(s)

Hudhayfah b. Al-Yamān – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

The munāfiqūn (hypocrites) amongst you today are worse than those in the time of Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him.

He was asked, “How is that o Abū ‘Abdillāh”?
    He replied:
    Because those [in the time of the Prophet] used to hide their nifāq (hypocrisy), whereas the hypocrites of today commit [hypocrisy] openly.

Al-Bukhārī, Al-Sahīh hadith 7113.