Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
Results 1,161 to 1,193 of 1193
    islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

quotes of the salaf thread

here are some i found (source https://contemplatequran.wordpress.com/quotes/), ill post more if i come across them inshaallah
    please feel free to add your own

Abu Dharr Al-Ghifaari (RA) said: A person possessing two dirhams will have a harsher reckoning on the Day of Judgment than a person who possesses just one dirham, and a person who possesses two dinars will have a harsher reckoning than someone who possesses only one. [Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqaa`iq article 555}
    I love the pious people even though i am not one of them and i dislike the evil people even though i may be worse than them. Ibn mubarak
    The wise Companion ibn Masud (may Allah be pleased with him) said, I have never regretted anything as much as a day on which the sun sets and my life span decreases, while my good deeds have not increased.
    Ibn Al-Jawzee said: This worldly life only impresses those with no intellect. Similar to how vain dreams please the sleeper, imaginary games are perceived by a child, whereas a sensible person cannot be deceived by such delusion. [Kitaab Al-Lataaif Fil-Waaiz, pg. 61]
    Knowledge without action is arrogance. Imam Ash-Shafiee (rahimahumAllah)
    Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (radiyAllahuanhu): Indeed Allah forgives Major Sins, so do not despair, and indeed Allah punishes for Minor Sins, so do not be deceived. (Sharh al-Bukhari by Ibn Battal 19/267)
    Umar Ibn Abdul Azeez was advised: Oh Umar, beware of being the ally of Allah (SWT) in open, while being His enemy in secret. If ones nature in open and secret do not equate then he is a hypocrite, and the hypocrites occupy the lowest level in Hellfire. [Al-Bayhaqi, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabeer, pg.100]
    The foolish one addresses me with words of disgrace, but I hate to respond to him in a similar manner. The more ignorant he proves, the more patient I become. Just like the incense; the more its burnt, the more it releases its fragrance. Imam Ash-Shafiee (rahimahumAllah)
    Imam As-Shafii (rahimahullah): Whoever does not love knowledge then there is no good in him. So there should not be any acquaintance between you and him, and nor any friendship. [Muqqadimatul-Majmoo Shahil-Muhadhdhab vol.1 pg-42]
    A person is not ready for death if he still thinks he will live tomorrow.
    Sufyan At-Thawri (رحمة الله)
    The great ascetic Shaqiq al-Balaki May Allah have mercy upon him] was once asked, What is the mark of [true] repentance? He replied, Continued crying over past sins, deep fear of falling into them again, staying away from bad company, and keeping the company of good people
    Imam Al-Hasan Al-Basree (may Allah have mercy on him) said: We laugh and yet who knows? Perhaps Allah has looked at some of our works and said: I will not accept anything from you. Woe to you, son of Adam! Can you fight Allah? Whoever disobeys Allah is fighting Him. By Allah! I have met seventy veterans of Badr. Most of their garments were wool. Had you seen them you would have said they are crazy, and had they seen the best among you they would have said: Those people will have no part in the Hereafter. Had they seen the worst among you they would have said: Those people do not believe in the Day of Reckoning. I have seen people for whom this world was cheaper than the dust under their feet. I have seen people the like of whom would come home at night, not finding more than his own portion of food, and yet say: I shall not put all of this into my belly. I shall certainly give some away for Allahs sake. Then he would give away some of his food in charity, even if he were more in need of it than its recipient. Quoted by Abu Nuaym in Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya 2/134
    It is reported that Muhammad b. Al-Hanafīyah Allāh have mercy on him said:
    Whoever has self respect does not give any value to the worldly life (dunyā).
    [Ibn Al-Jawzī, Sifatu Al-Safwah 2:77]
    It was said to Al-Hasan Al-Basri; People say that the one who has been on Hajj is the one who is forgiven. He said, And the sign of this is that he leaves the evils he used to do. [Ibn Abu Al-Dunya, Al-Tawbah article 70]
    Ibn Taymiyah said: Allah (SWT) is more merciful to His slaves than the most merciful of mothers to her child, for the One Who made her merciful must be more merciful than her. [Majmoo al-Fataawa, 16/448]
    Beautiful recitation of the Quran is like a key that opens up the treasures of the Quran. Dont use the recitation to marvel at the key but use it as a means to marvel at the treasures that lie beyond the door. Ust. Alomgir Ali
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude. ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

Re: quotes of the salaf thread

It is reported that Ab Al-Dard` Allh be pleased with him said:

Be a scholar or a learner, or a person who loves [the scholars] or a follower [of the scholars], but do not be the fifth.
    Humayd (one of the reporters) asked Al-Hasan (Al-Basri, who reported this from Ab Al-Dard`), And who is the fifth? He replied, A heretic (mubtadi, religious innovator}.

Ibn Abd Al-Barr, Jmi Bayn Al-Ilm 1:142.
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude. ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

Dead Hearts and Empty Supplications

It is reported that Ibrhm b. Adham (d162H) – Allh have mercy on him – once passed through the market of Basrah. People gathered around him and asked:

O Ab Ishq, Allh the Exalted says in his Book. ‘Call on me, I will answer your prayers’, but we have been calling on Him for a long time and He does not answer our prayers. [Ibrhm] replied, “O people of Basrah, your hearts have died in respect to ten things: First, you know Allh but you do not give Him His rights; second, you have read Allh’s Book but you do not act by it; third, you claim to love Allh’s Messenger – Allh’s peace and blessings be upon him – yet you abandon his Sunnah; fourth, you claim to be enemies to Shaytn but you conform to [his ways]; fifth, you say you love Paradise yet you do not work for it; sixth, you say you fear The Fire yet you put yourselves closer to it [by sinning]; seventh, you say death is true but you do not prepare for it; eighth, you busy yourselves with the faults of others and disregard your own; ninth, you consume the favors of your Lord but are not grateful for them; and tenth, you bury your dead but take no lesson from them.”

Ab Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliy’ 8: 15, 16.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post

Dead Hearts and Empty Supplications

It is reported that Ibrhm b. Adham (d162H) – Allh have mercy on him – once passed through the market of Basrah. People gathered around him and asked:

O Ab Ishq, Allh the Exalted says in his Book. ‘Call on me, I will answer your prayers’, but we have been calling on Him for a long time and He does not answer our prayers. [Ibrhm] replied, “O people of Basrah, your hearts have died in respect to ten things: First, you know Allh but you do not give Him His rights; second, you have read Allh’s Book but you do not act by it; third, you claim to love Allh’s Messenger – Allh’s peace and blessings be upon him – yet you abandon his Sunnah; fourth, you claim to be enemies to Shaytn but you conform to [his ways]; fifth, you say you love Paradise yet you do not work for it; sixth, you say you fear The Fire yet you put yourselves closer to it [by sinning]; seventh, you say death is true but you do not prepare for it; eighth, you busy yourselves with the faults of others and disregard your own; ninth, you consume the favors of your Lord but are not grateful for them; and tenth, you bury your dead but take no lesson from them.”

Ab Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliy’ 8: 15, 16.
    SubhanaAllah imagine how far our ummah is today if this was the case back then :'(

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

Ibn Shihb reports:

‘Umar b. ‘Abd Al-‘Azz – Allah have mercy on him, said, “The Messenger of Allh – Allh’s peace and blessings be upon him – and the authorities (leaders of the Muslims, the Caliphs ) after him set certain ways and practices. To follow those ways is to believe in Allh’s Book and to complete [ones] obedience of Him, and to be strong upon the religion of Allh. It is not for anyone to alter those ways or change them for something else, and it is not for anyone to consider the views and opinions of those who contradict them. Whoever follows what [the Prophet and his Caliphs] laid down will be guided, whoever seeks enlightenment through it will be enlightened. But whoever contradicts those ways and follows a way other than the way of the Believers, Allh the Mighty and Majestic will leave him in the path he has chosen and land him in Jahannam (Hell); and what an evil destination that is.'”

Al-Llak`, Sharh Usl I’tiqd Ahl Al-Sunnah 1:94.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

Ab Bakr Al-Siddq – Allh be pleased with him – said:

I will not leave anything Allh’s Messenger – Allh’s peace and blessings be upon him – did, except that I will also do it; for I fear that if I were to leave any of his commands and ways I would deviate.

Al-Bukhr, Al-Sahh 2:386 hadth no. 3093; Ibn Battah, Al-Ibnah article 77, and others.

Notes

After recording this narration, Ibn Battah states:

This, my brothers, is the greatest Siddq (true believer i.e. Ab Bakr), fearing that he would fall into deviation if he were to leave any of the commandments of his Prophet – Allh’s peace and blessings be upon him. What then is to happen in a time in which people deride their Prophet and his commandments, and compete with each other and show off in contradicting him and mock his Sunnah? We ask Allh to protect us from slipping and to save us from evil deeds.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

Ab Al-Dard` once wrote to Salmn Al-Frs:

Come to the Holy Land. [Salmn] wrote back, “Verily, the land does not make anyone holy; it is the deeds of a man that make him pure.”

Al-Dhahab, SIyar A’lm Al-Nubal 1:549.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is narrated that ‘Uthmān b. ʿAffān – Allāh be pleased with him – said in a sermon:

Son of Adam! Know that the angel of death who has been assigned to you has not ceased to pass you and move on to others, ever since you have been in this world. But it is as if he is about to pass someone else and move on to target you, so be careful and prepare for him (by correcting your deeds). And do not forget him, for he does not forget you. And know o son of Adam, if you are heedless about yourself and do not prepare, no one else will prepare for you. You must meet Allah the Mighty and Majestic, so take for yourself and do not leave it to someone else. Peace be on you.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūr, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm 2: 73, 74.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

The Integrity of a Man and his Prayer

It is reported that Ab Al-‘liyah – Allh have mercy on him – said:

I would travel for days to a man to hear [knowledge/hadth ] from him, and the first thing I would check about him is his prayer: if he performed it properly I would stay and hear [knowledge] from him, but if he neglected it, I would return without hearing from him, and I would say, ‘He will be even more neglectful of other matters.’

Al-Khatb Al-Baghdd, Al-Rihlah f Talab Al-Hadth article 22; Al-Dhahab, Siyar A’lm Al-Nubal` 4:209.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

Ab Ishq [Al-Fazr] states:

The enemy was never able to stand up to the Companions of Allh’s Messenger – Allh’s praise and peace be upon him, so when the news of the defeat of the Romans came to Heraclius at Antioch he asked [his people], “Woe to you, tell me about these people who fight you, are they not humans like you?” They replied, “Indeed, they are.” He asked, “So are you more in number or them?” They replied, “We outnumber them greatly in all places.” He said, “So how is it that you are defeated whenever you meet them [in battle].” A senior and esteemed elder amongst them replied, “Because they stand in prayer at night, fast during the day, fulfill their agreements and promises, enjoin what is right and forbid what is evil, they are fair and just amongst themselves; and because we drink wine, fornicate, commit sin, break our agreements, steal, oppress and do injustice, enjoin the committing of what angers Allh and forbid what pleases Allh the Mighty and Majestic, and we cause evil and corruption in the land.” Heraclius said, “You are the one who has told me the truth.”

Ab Bakr Al-Daynr, Al-Mujlasah wa Jawhir Al-‘Ilm 4:91.

Please do not 'Rep'. Jzk. Fakhri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1297 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi View Post

Ab Ishq [Al-Fazr] states:

The enemy was never able to stand up to the Companions of Allh’s Messenger – Allh’s praise and peace be upon him, so when the news of the defeat of the Romans came to Heraclius at Antioch he asked [his people], “Woe to you, tell me about these people who fight you, are they not humans like you?” They replied, “Indeed, they are.” He asked, “So are you more in number or them?” They replied, “We outnumber them greatly in all places.” He said, “So how is it that you are defeated whenever you meet them [in battle].” A senior and esteemed elder amongst them replied, “Because they stand in prayer at night, fast during the day, fulfill their agreements and promises, enjoin what is right and forbid what is evil, they are fair and just amongst themselves; and because we drink wine, fornicate, commit sin, break our agreements, steal, oppress and do injustice, enjoin the committing of what angers Allh and forbid what pleases Allh the Mighty and Majestic, and we cause evil and corruption in the land.” Heraclius said, “You are the one who has told me the truth.”

Ab Bakr Al-Daynr, Al-Mujlasah wa Jawhir Al-‘Ilm 4:91.
    Subhaanallah.

LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fakhri View Post
    Subhaanallah.

Wa iyaak my bro

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

This world (the dunyā) is [only taken as] a home by those who will have no real home [in Jannah], and it is the wealth of those who will have no real wealth, and it is gathered and collected for by those who have no real intelligence. (Ibn Mas'ud; reported by Ibn Abi Dunya in Dhamm al Dunya')

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is reported that ‘Abdullh b. ‘Umar – Allh be pleased with him – was asked:

Did the Companions of Allh’s Messenger – Allh’s peace and blessings be upon him – used to laugh? He replied, “Yes, and the mn (faith) in their hearts was greater than the mountains.”

‘Abd Al-Razzq Al-San’n, Al-Musannaf 11:327.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is reported that Ayyb Al-Sakhtiyn was asked:

Is knowledge today greater or lesser [in amount]? He replied, “There is more speech today, but there was more knowledge in the past.”

Al-Fasaw, Al-Ma’rifah wa Al-Trkh 2:136.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is reported that when Al-Hasan Al-Basr was on his deathbed, some of his companions came to him and said:

O Ab Sa’d, offer us some words you can benefit us with. He replied, “I will equip you with three words, then you must leave me to face what I am facing. Be the farthest of people from those things you have been forbidden, and be the most involved of people in the good you have been commanded to do; and know that the steps you take are two steps: a step in your favor and a step against you, so be careful where you come and where you go.”

Ab Nu’yam, Hilyah Al-Awliy` 2:154

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

Imam Al-Awzai’s Letter of Warning against Heresy and Heretics

It is reported that Imm Al-Awz’ (d157H) wrote:

O Muslims, fear Allh and obey Him, and accept the advice of the sincere advisers and the exhortation of the exhorters, and know that this knowledge is religion, so be careful about what you do [in it] and from whom you take [it] and who you follow and who you trust your religion to. For verily, the followers of Bid’ah are all falsifiers and liars, neither are they careful nor do they fear and protect [against wrongdoing], and nor are they to be trusted to not distort what you hear. They say what they know not when criticizing and decrying or when affirming their lies. But Allh encompasses what they do. So be on guard against them, suspect them, reject them and distance yourselves from them, for this was what your earlier scholars and the righteous latter ones did and instructed others to do.

Beware of rising against Allh and becoming instruments in the destruction of His religion and undoing its handholds by respecting the innovators, for you know what has come down to us about respecting them. And what stronger respect and veneration can there be than taking your religion from them, following them, believing them, being close to them and helping them in alluring those they allure and attracting those they attract of the weak Muslims towards their ideas and the religion they practice? This is enough to be considered a partnership and contribution to what they do.

Ibn ‘Askir, Trkh Dimishq 6:361, 362.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basr – Allh have mercy on him – said when asked ‘what is mn (faith)?’:

It is perseverance (al-sabr) from the things that are forbidden by Allh the Mighty and Majestic and acceptance. He was asked, “What is perseverance and acceptance?” He replied, “al-sabr is to persevere in holding back from what Allh has forbidden, and [acceptance is] acceptance of what Allh the Mighty and Majestic has commanded.”

Ab Bakr Al-Daynr, Al-Mujlasah wa Jawhir Al-‘Ilm 3:535.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

No poverty after Paradise and no wealth in the Fire

It is reported that Jundub b. ‘Abdillh Al-Bajal – Allah be pleased with him – was once asked for advice and instruction. He said:

I advise you to fear Allh and obey Him (taqw) and I advise you to adhere to the Quran, for it is a light in the dark night and a guidance during the day, so implement it no matter how much struggle and poverty you have to face. If a calamity befalls you, put your wealth forward to protect your religion, and if the calamity continues, put forward your wealth and your life to save your religion [but never risk your religion], for the ruined is he whose religion is ruined, and the looted is he whose religion is taken. And know that there is no poverty after Paradise, and no riches after the Fire.

Al-Dhahab, Siyar A’lm Al-Nubal` 3:174.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

One of the Salaf said •► 'If this world does not cry for you (upon departing it), then the Hereafter will not smile for you.'

فَمَا بَكَتْ عَلَيْهِمُ السَّمَاءُ وَالْأَرْضُ وَمَا كَانُوا مُنظَرِينَ
    "And the heaven and earth wept not for them, nor were they reprieved."
    [Surah Ad Dukhan, 44:29]

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It was said to ‘`ishah – Allh be pleased with her, “There are people who faint when they hear the Quran.” She said. “The Quran is nobler than to have people lose their minds from it. Rather, it [should be] as Allh the Mighty and Sublime said:

Those who fear their Lord tremble with fear by it, then their skins and hearts settle to the remembrance of Allah. (Srah Al-Zumar: 23)

Ab ‘Ubayd Al-Qsim b. Sallm, Fad`il Al-Qur`n p214.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is reported that ‘Abd Al-Rahmān b. Mahdī – Allāh have mercy on him – said, “If it were not for the fact I hate that Allah is disobeyed, I would have wished that no one remain in this city except that he had spoken ill of me and backbitten me; for what is nicer than a good deed a man finds in his records on the Day of Resurrection without having done a thing or even having known?”

Abū Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyā` 4:45.

Notes

This is a reference to a person who has been backbitten receiving good deeds on the Day of Judgment from the person who backbit him and didn’t repent and make amends, as mentioned in some narrations from the Prophet – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him. The narration reminds us of the dire consequences of backbiting others: your good deeds may go to them if you don’t repent and make up for what you have done. It also provides assurance for those who have been backbitten: if left wronged in this life, they will be given good deeds in the hereafter as compensation and justice will be done.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

Al-Bukhr reports that ‘Umar – Allh be pleased with him – came to the Black Stone (performing tawf, circumambulation), kissed it, and said, “I know that you are a stone, you do not cause benefit or harm; and if it were not that I had seen Allh’s Messenger – peace and blessings of Allh be upon him – kiss you, I would never have kissed you.”

Al-Bukhr, Al-Sahh, Chapter on what has been said about the Black Stone.

Points to note

The illustrious Companion and Caliph ‘Umar reminded us in this narration of the pure belief that benefit and harm are not caused by created objects and thus should not be sought from them. Only Allh has control over these things.

We are reminded that acts of worship are taken from Allh’s Messenger, and a person is not supposed to make up his own way of worship, he must follow the manner of worship that the Prophet taught and practiced.

We also learn that once an action is confirmed in the Sunnah, the believer submits and complies and practices it because it is confirmed that Allh’s Messenger did it, even if we don’t know the wisdom behind it.

This narration is also an example of how a responsible person tries to clarify and do away with any misunderstandings that people may have about matters of faith. The people had recently left their unbelief and polytheism, so ‘Umar wanted to make it clear that kissing the Black Stone is by no means done as an act of devotion to it, as people used to do with their stone idols.

Adapted from Ibn Hajr, Fath Al-Br, and other hadth commentaries.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is reported that once, some good food was served to Anas [Ibn Mlik] – Allh be pleased with him, and [the person who served the food] was well off enough to afford good food. As he was eating, he kept a morsel of the food in his mouth for a while, then looked at the people and began to cry. Then he said, “By Allh, I have accompanied people who, if they could get hold of this kind of food, would have fasted even more often, and spent less time not fasting. One of them would find only milk mixed with water [as food], which he would drink and then fast on.”

Al-Mu’f b. ‘Imrn, Kitb Al-Zuhd article 215.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is reported that a man came to ‘Abdullh b. Mas’d – Allh be pleased with him – and asked, “Teach me some comprehensive and beneficial words.” He replied, “Worship Allh and do not associate any partners with Him, and be with the Qur’n wherever it is. And whoever comes to you with some truth – whether he is young or old, even if he is hated by you – then accept [that truth]. And whoever comes lying to you – even if he is beloved and close – then reject it from him.”

Ab Bakr Al-Khar`it, Masw Al-Akhlq wa Madhmmih p72.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is reported that Sufyn Al-Thawr – Allh have mercy on him – said, “Wealth is the disease of this Ummah, and the scholar is the doctor of this Ummah. So if the doctor brings the disease to himself, how will he cure the people?”

Al-Dhahab, Siyar A’lm Al-Nubal`, Vol. 7 p243.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

At the deathbed of Umm Habibah

It is reported that ‘`ishah – said, “Umm Habbah called for me on her deathbed and said, ‘There used to occur between us the kinds of things that happen between co-wives (al-dar`ir), so may Allh forgive me and you those things.’ I said, ‘May Allh forgive you all those things and release you from [all liability] for that.’ She replied, ‘You have made me happy, may Allh make you happy.’ And she sent for Umm Salamah and said the same things to her.”

Al-Dhahab, Siyar A’lm Al-Nubal` Vol. 2 p223.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

The Borrowed Pen [trustworthiness]

It is reported that ‘Abdullh b. Al-Mubrak said, “I once borrowed a pen in Al-Shm (Transjordan) and went to return it. But when I came back to Marwu (Eng. Merv , in Central Asia) I saw that I still had it, so I went back to Al-Shm to return it to its owner.”

Al-Dhahab, Siyar A’lm Al-Nubal`, Vol. 8 p395.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is reported that ‘Al b. Ab Tlib – Allh be pleased with him – said, “The servant [of Allh] should not fear except his sins, and should not hope except in his Lord. The ignorant should not be ashamed to ask, and the knowledgeable should not be ashamed to say – if he does not know something – ‘Allh knows best.’ Patience (al-sabr) to faith (Al-mn) is like the head to the rest of the body: if the head is cut off, the body will rot. And one who has no patience, has no faith.”

Al-Baihaq, Shu’ab Al-mn, Vol.12 p195.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is reported that Ibn ‘Umar – Allh be pleased with him – said, “We were the beginning [the heads] of this Ummah, and perhaps a man from the best of the Companions of Allh’s Messenger – Allh’s peace and blessings be upon him – and the most righteous amongst them could maintain only one chapter of the Qur`n or thereabouts. For the Qur`n was weighty upon them, and they were given knowledge of it or action based on it. But the last of this Ummah will find the Qur`n light [and easy] – the child and the non-Arab will recite it, without possessing any knowledge about it.”

Al-Haraw, Dhamm Al-Kalm wa Ahlih Vol. 5 p144.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

The Narrations are the Religion

It is reported that Muhammad b. Srn said, “They used to consider themselves on the [right] path as long as they followed al-athar (guidance of the Sunnah and Salaf as passed down in the narrations).”

Al-Llak`, Sharh Usl I’tiqd Ahl Al-Sunnah wa Al-Jam’ah Vol.1 p120.

It is reported that ‘Uthmn b. Hdir said, “I said to Ibn ‘Abbs: ‘advise me.’ He replied, ‘It is upon you to be upright, follow al-athar, and beware of innovating [in religion].’”

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibnah Al-Kubr Vol. 1 p214.

It is reported that ‘Abdullh b. Al-Mubrak said, “Let it only be the narrations (al-athar) that you rely upon, and take from reasoning and opinion that amount that will help you to understand and explain hadth.”

Ibn ‘Abd Al-Barr, Jmi’ Bayn Al-‘Ilm wa Fadlihi Vol. 3 p329.

It is reported that Sufyn Al-Thawr said, “The narrations (al-thr) are the religion.”

And it is reported that he also said, “A man should not even scratch his head except based on a narration.”

Al-Haraw, Dhamm Al-Kalm wa Ahlih Vol. 2 p264.

It is reported that Al-Musayyib b. Rfi’ Al-Asad said, “We only follow, we do not innovate; we follow behind and do not start anything [in the religion], and we will never stray as long as we adhere to the narrations.”

Al-Haraw, Dhamm Al-Kalm wa Ahlih Vol. 2 p265.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

It is reported that Shurayh – Allh have mercy on him – said, “If I am afflicted with a calamity, I praise Allh for it four times: I praise Him because it wasn’t worse than it was, I praise Him when He gives me the patience to bear it, I praise Him for enabling me to say al-istirj’ (‘To Allh we belong and to him we will return’; see Al-Baqarah: 154-156 ) in hope of a great reward, and I praise Him for not making it a calamity in my religion.”

Al-Dhahab, Siyar A’lm Al-Nubal`, in his biography of Shurayh Al-Qd.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

‘sim b. ‘Umar b. Qatdah [Al-Ansr] reports from some men amongst his people, “One of the things that called us to accept Islam – with the mercy of Allh and His guidance – is what we used to hear from some Jewish men. We were polytheists who worshipped idols. They (the Jews) were people of scripture and had knowledge that we did not possess. There was always some badness between us; if we did to them something they hated, they would say to us, ‘The time is nigh when a Prophet will be sent, with whom we will fight and kill you like ‘d and Iram.’ We would often hear this from them. When Allh sent His Messenger- Allh’s peace and blessings be upon him – we answered him when he called us to Allh the Exalted, and we recognized what they used to warn us about. So we preceded them to him; we believed in him and they disbelieved. And it is about us and them that these verses of Al-Baqarah were revealed:

And when there came to them (the Jews), a Book (this Qur’n) from Allh confirming what is with them (Torah) and the Gospel, although aforetime they had invoked Allh (for coming of the Prophet), in order to gain victory over those who disbelieved. Then when there came to them that which they recognized, they disbelieved in it. So let the curse of Allh be on the disbelievers.” [Al-Baqarah: 89]

Ibn Hishm, Al-Srah Vol.1 p211, and others. Shaykh Muqbil Al-Wdi’ graded this narrations chain of transmission hasan. See Al-Sahh Al-Musnad min Dal`il Al-Nubwah p93.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3617 Post(s)

Ibrhm Al-Taym reports from his father that Ab Dharr [Al-Ghifr] – Allh be pleased with him – said, “A person possessing two dirhams will have a harsher reckoning (on the Day of Judgment) than a person who possesses just one dirham, and a person who possesses two dinars will have a harsher reckoning than someone who possesses only one.”

Ibn Al-Mubrak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raq`iq article 555. Shaykh Al-Albn graded this narration’s chain of transmission sahh is Al-Da’fah Vol. 8 p117.