Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

quotes of the salaf thread

here are some i found (source https://contemplatequran.wordpress.com/quotes/), ill post more if i come across them inshaallah
    please feel free to add your own

Abu Dharr Al-Ghifaari (RA) said: “A person possessing two dirhams will have a harsher reckoning on the Day of Judgment than a person who possesses just one dirham, and a person who possesses two dinars will have a harsher reckoning than someone who possesses only one.” [Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqaa`iq article 555}
    I love the pious people even though i am not one of them and i dislike the evil people even though i may be worse than them. Ibn mubarak
    The wise Companion ibn Mas’ud (may Allah be pleased with him) said, “I have never regretted anything as much as a day on which the sun sets and my life span decreases, while my good deeds have not increased.”
    Ibn Al-Jawzee said: “This worldly life only impresses those with no intellect. Similar to how vain dreams please the sleeper, imaginary games are perceived by a child, whereas a sensible person cannot be deceived by such delusion.” [Kitaab Al-Lataa’if Fil-Waa’iz, pg. 61]
    “Knowledge without action is arrogance.” – Imam Ash-Shafi’ee (rahimahumAllah)
    Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (radiyAllahu’anhu): “Indeed Allah forgives Major Sins, so do not despair, and indeed Allah punishes for Minor Sins, so do not be deceived.” (Sharh al-Bukhari by Ibn Battal 19/267)
    Umar Ibn ‘Abdul Azeez was advised: “Oh Umar, beware of being the ally of Allah (SWT) in open, while being His enemy in secret. If one’s nature in open and secret do not equate then he is a hypocrite, and the hypocrites occupy the lowest level in Hellfire.” [Al-Bayhaqi, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabeer, pg.100]
    “The foolish one addresses me with words of disgrace, but I hate to respond to him in a similar manner. The more ignorant he proves, the more patient I become. Just like the incense; the more it’s burnt, the more it releases its fragrance.” – Imam Ash-Shafi’ee (rahimahumAllah)
    Imam As-Shafi’i (rahimahullah): “Whoever does not love knowledge then there is no good in him. So there should not be any acquaintance between you and him, and nor any friendship.” [Muqqadimatul-Majmoo’ Shahil-Muhadhdhab vol.1 pg-42]
    “A person is not ready for death if he still thinks he will live tomorrow.”
    Sufyan At-Thawri (رحمة الله)
    The great ascetic Shaqiq al-Balaki May Allah have mercy upon him] was once asked, ‘What is the mark of [true] repentance?’ He replied, ‘Continued crying over past sins, deep fear of falling into them again, staying away from bad company, and keeping the company of good people’
    Imam Al-Hasan Al-Basree (may Allah have mercy on him) said: “We laugh and yet who knows? Perhaps Allah has looked at some of our works and said: ‘I will not accept anything from you.’ Woe to you, son of Adam! Can you fight Allah? Whoever disobeys Allah is fighting Him. By Allah! I have met seventy veterans of Badr. Most of their garments were wool. Had you seen them you would have said they are crazy, and had they seen the best among you they would have said: ‘Those people will have no part in the Hereafter.’ Had they seen the worst among you they would have said: ‘Those people do not believe in the Day of Reckoning.’ I have seen people for whom this world was cheaper than the dust under their feet. I have seen people the like of whom would come home at night, not finding more than his own portion of food, and yet say: ‘I shall not put all of this into my belly. I shall certainly give some away for Allah’s sake.’ Then he would give away some of his food in charity, even if he were more in need of it than its recipient.” – Quoted by Abu Nu’aym in Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya 2/134
    It is reported that Muhammad b. Al-Hanafīyah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
    “Whoever has self respect does not give any value to the worldly life (dunyā)”.
    [Ibn Al-Jawzī, Sifatu Al-Safwah 2:77]
    It was said to Al-Hasan Al-Basri; “People say that the one who has been on Hajj is the one who is forgiven.” He said, “And the sign of this is that he leaves the evils he used to do.” [Ibn Abu Al-Dunya, Al-Tawbah article 70]
    Ibn Taymiyah said: “Allah (SWT) is more merciful to His slaves than the most merciful of mothers to her child, for the One Who made her merciful must be more merciful than her.” [Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 16/448]
    Beautiful recitation of the Qur’an is like a key that opens up the treasures of the Qur’an. Don’t use the recitation to marvel at the key but use it as a means to marvel at the treasures that lie beyond the door. Ust. Alomgir Ali
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Re: quotes of the salaf thread

A man laughed in [the circle of] Hishām Al-Dustawāʾī, so Hishām said to him, “Young man! You seek knowledge laughing?” He replied, “Is it not Allāh who makes [us] laugh and cry (as stated in the Qurʾān)?” So Hishām replied, “Then go and cry.”
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that ʿUthmān b. ʿAffān – Allāh be pleased with him – once addressed the people in a sermon. He praised Allāh, then said:

O people! Fear Allāh and obey Him, for piety is a valuable prize. Verily the most intelligent person is he who takes account of himself and works for what comes after death, and acquires through the light (guidance) of Allāh a light for the darkness of the grave.

The servant of Allāh should fear lest Allāh the Mighty and Sublime resurrects him blind though he used to see. A few comprehensive words can be enough for a wise man, whereas the deaf (who does not listen to guidance) is being called from afar.

And know that whoever Allāh the Mighty and Sublime is with has nothing to fear; but whoever Allāh the Mighty and Sublime is against, then in whom can he hope after Allāh?!

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2708 Post(s)

Yoonus bin 'Ubaid said: Indeed, I found 100 traits from among good traits. I do not know of a single one of them to be in me.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2708 Post(s)

Mujaahid said: He who elevates himself, degrades his Religion and he who degrades himself elevates his Religion.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2708 Post(s)

Al-Hasan said: Righteousness (Taqwaa) did not cease to be among the righteous until they gave up a large portion of the permissible of fear of the impermissible.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2708 Post(s)

Al-Hasan said: From the signs of Allah's having turned away from a salve is that He causes him to become involved in that which does not concern him.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2708 Post(s)

Harimu bin Hayyaan said: Beware of the scholar who is a Faasiq. He is a person who talks of knowledge but acts in accordance with Fisq. He becomes dubious to mankind and as a result they go astray

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

He who has no manners has no knowledge; he who has no patience has no Din, and he who has no piety has no nearness to Allah for him." [Al-Hasan al-Basri - may Allah have mercy upon him]

Four things are exceedingly difficult - to forgive while angry, to give alms during want, to abstain from sins in solitude, and to speak the truth before the person from whom may come fear or favour." ['Ali - may Allah be pleased with him]m

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that a man came to ʿAlī – Allāh be pleased with him – and asked, What do you think about a man who committed a sin? He replied, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him. [The man] said, He did that, but then sinned again? [ʿAlī] said, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him. The man again said, He did that, but returned to sin. [ʿAlī] said, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him. The man said for the fourth time, He did, but then sinned again. ʿAlī then said, Until when? Then he said, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him; and not give up until it is Shayṭān who is defeated [overcome].

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2708 Post(s)

Abu Sulaymaan Al-Daaraani said: One does not remain patient, withholding oneself away from the desires of this world except the one who has in his heart of the hereafter that which keeps him preoccupied.
    Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 01-09-15 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
    Abu Sulaymaan Al-Daaraani said: One does not remain patient, withholding oneself away from the desires of this world except the one who has in his heart that which keeps him preoccupied with the next world.
    May Allah make us from people like that brother

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported from Ibn Al-Mubarak that he said: I heard Ja'far ibn Hayyan say: "The foundations of these actions are the intentions. Indeed a man reaches with his intentions a position he does not reach with his actions."

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Ibn Mas’ood said:

“A time will come in which a believer will be regarded lower than a slave girl.”

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that the son of Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyâd – Allâh have mercy on him – said to his father:

Father! How sweet (beautiful) the speech of the Companions is! [Al-Fudayl] said, “Son, do you know why it was so sweet?” He replied, “No father, I do not.” He said, “Because they sought Allâh the Exalted when they spoke.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Anas b. Mâlik – Allâh be pleased with him – said:

There are two days and two nights the likes of which no one has ever heard of before: the Day on which you will receive the news about Allâh the Exalted: whether you will receive His punishment or His mercy, the Day you will be given your book (of deeds): either in your right hand or your left, that [first] night you will spend alone in your grave, a night like no other you have spent, and that night on the morning of which will be the Day of Resurrection, after which there will be no more night.

Abű Bakr Al-Daynűrî, Al-Mujâlasah wa Jawâhir Al-‘Ilm article 19.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Imâm Al-Shâfi’î – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

If you fear becoming deluded and impressed by your deeds then remember whose pleasure you are seeking, and the joy (Paradise) in which you want to be, and what punishment you fear. Whoever thinks about these things will diminish his deeds.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Masrūq – Allāh have mercy him – said: There is no house better for the believer than the niche of his grave, for then he will rest from the worries of this world, and be secured from the punishment of Allāh.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Ibrāhīm b. Ad-ham – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Zuhd (abstinence from materialism, asceticism) is of three types: (i) obligatory zuhd, (ii) virtuous zuhd and (iii) zuhd for safety. Obligatory zuhd is to abstain from what is forbidden (harām); virtuous zuhd is to be disinterested in what is allowed (of this world); and zuhd for safety is to stay away from doubtful matters.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Ismāʿīl b. Yaḥyā reports:

Sufyān once saw me joking with a man from Banī Shaybah at the House (Kaʿbah). I laughed, so he said to me, “You laugh here? A man used to hear a single ḥadīth and its demeanour and guidance would be seen on him for three days.”

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Wahb b. Munabbih – Allāh have mercy on him – used to say:

The believer mixes with others in order to learn, keeps quiet to keep safe (from sinning), speaks in order to understand, and secludes himself for the attainment (of good).

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-‘Uzlah article 99.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Masrūq – Allāh have mercy him – said: There is no house better for the believer than the niche of his grave, for then he will rest from the worries of this world, and be secured from the punishment of Allāh.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

“My sin burdened me heavily. But when I measured it against Your Grace, O Lord, Your forgiveness came out
    greater.” – Imam Shafii

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2708 Post(s)

Sufyaan Ath-Thawree said:

“Innovation is more beloved to Iblees (the Devil) than sins. This is because sins are repented from whereas innovations are not repented from.”

[Majmoo’ Al-Fataawaa (11/472)]

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2708 Post(s)

Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal said:

“Whosoever reviles the Companions of the Prophet, then we do not believe he is safe from having rejected the Religion.”

[Sunnah lil-Khilaal, 3/493]

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Ya’lā b. ‘Ubayd said, “We entered upon Ibn Sūqah, who said: ‘O nephew, let me relate to you something that will hopefully benefit you; for it benefited me. ‘Atā b. Abī Rabāh once said to us:'”

Those before you used to consider idle talk to be anything other than the Book of Allāh, or the enjoining of good, or the forbidding of evil, or speaking for the sake of your basic living needs. Do you deny that there are recording angels appointed over you? Sitting on your right and your left? Never is a word said except there is an observer prepared to record? Are you not afraid (ashamed) that your record of words and deeds be spread open only to discover that there is nothing of the hereafter in it?

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

Imām Sa’īd b. Al-Musayyib – Allāh have mercy on him – once saw a man praying more than two rak’ah after sunrise the beginning of Fajr, making many bows and prostrations, and so he forbade him. The man said, “O Abu Muhammad, is Allāh going to punish me for praying?” Sa’īd said, “No, but He will punish you for contradicting the Sunnah.”

Al-Bayhaqī, As-Sunan Al-Kubraa 2:466. graded sahīh by Shaykh Al-Albānī. See Irwā Al-Ghalīl 2:236.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrî – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

If people called on Allâh when put to trial because of their rulers, Allâh would relieve their suffering; but instead they resorted to the sword, so they were left to it. And not one day of good did they bring.

Then he recited (Quran 7: 137):
    And the good word of your Lord was fulfilled for the Children of Israel, for the patience and perseverance they had, and We destroyed the works of Pharaoh and his people and what they had erected.

Ibn Abî Hâtim, Al-Tafsîr no. 8897.

Odan
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1366 Post(s)

‘Abdullaah Ibn ‘Umar (r.a) said:

“By Allah, if I fasted all day without eating, prayed all night without sleeping, spent all of my wealth in the Path of Allah, died the day I died, but had no love in my heart for those who obey Allah, and no hatred in my heart for those who disobey Allah, none of this would benefit me in the least.”

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

If the people were gathered on one plain, all of them believers, except for two unbelievers amongst them, they would join each other. And if the people were gathered on one plain, all of them unbelievers, except for two believers amongst them, they would join each other.

Ibn Baṭṭah, Al-ʾIbānah Al-Kubrā 1:455

It is also reported that he said:

The souls of people are allied together (like for like), they meet and detect one another like horses do; those that recognise each other come together, and those that disapprove each other, separate. If a believer entered a mosque in which there were a hundred people, amongst them only one other believer, he would end up sitting with him. And if a munāfiq entered a mosque in which there were a hundred people, amongst them only one other munāfiq, he would end up sitting with him.

ibid.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Khâlid b. Ma’dân – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

There is not a person except he has four eyes: two in his head with which he sees the matters of this worldly life, and two in his heart with which he looks to the matters of the hereafter. So if Allâh wants good for his servant, He opens his heart’s eyes, and so he perceives what he has been promised in the unseen world. Thus he is saved from the unseen [punishment] through the unseen [reward for the obedient].

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Mufaddal b. Muhalhal – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
    If the heretic started mentioning his bid’ah right at the beginning of the sitting, you would be on your guard and flee from him, but what he does is begin by mentioning hadīth from the Sunnah. Then, he slips his bid’ah in on you. It might then stick to your heart; but when will it leave your heart?

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibānah Al-Kubrā, 2:444.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

the tongue is an indication or either ignorance or wisdom
    ali ibn abi talib ra

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said: There is no comfort or rest for the believer until he meets Allāh.

Wakīʿ b. Al-Jarrāḥ, Al-Zuhd #86

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Wahb b. Munabbih – Allāh have mercy on him – used to say:

The believer mixes with others in order to learn, keeps quiet to keep safe (from sinning), speaks in order to understand, and secludes himself for the attainment (of good).

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-‘Uzlah article 99.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

It is part of sure belief (yaqīn) [in Allāh] that you do not please the people by angering Allāh, and do not praise anyone [else] for what Allāh has provided you, and do not blame anyone for what Allāh has not given you. For verily, the provision of Allāh is not gained by the keenness of those who are keen [for you to have it], nor is it prevented by the hatred of those who hate [for you to have it]. And verily Allāh, in His justice, made happiness and joy in being certain and content [with Allāh], and made worry and sadness in doubt and anger.

Hannād b. Al-Sarī, Al-Zuhd, article 535.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that ‘Abdullâh b. Mas’űd – Allâh be pleased with him – said:

The house in which the Qur’ân is not recited is like a derelict house that has no one to maintain it.

It is also reported that he said:

Verily the emptiest of houses are those that are empty of the Book of Allâh.

It is reported that Abű Hurayrah – Allâh be pleased with him – used to say about the house in which the Qur’ân is recited:

It becomes spacious for its inhabitants, the good of it becomes plentiful, the angels come to it and the devils leave it. And the house in which the Qur’ân is not recited becomes cramped for its inhabitants, has little good in it, and the devils come to it.

Ibn Abî Shaybah, Al-Musannaf articles 30645, 30647 and 30650.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Muhammad b. Sîrîn said, having been asked about a man who drops unconscious when the Quran is recited to him, “Make an appointment between us and him, we will sit on a wall, and the Quran – from beginning to end – will be recited unto him. If he falls off the wall, he is as he claims.”

Ibid., Al-Baghawî, op. cit.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that Sufyân Al-Thawrî – Allâh have mercy on him – said, “Wealth is the disease of this Ummah, and the scholar is the doctor of this Ummah. So if the doctor brings the disease to himself, how will he cure the people?”

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ`, Vol. 7 p243.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3609 Post(s)

It is reported that ‘Imrān b. Husayn – Allāh be pleased with him – was once relating hadīth amongst a group of people, when a man said:

Leave this and give us something from the Book of Allāh. ‘Imrān said, “You are a dunce (stupid). Do you find in the Book of Allāh details of prayer. Do you find in the Book of Allāh details of fasting!? This Qur`ān prescribes those matters, and the Sunnah explains them.”