Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network


View Poll Results: What is your opinion of Quranists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are Muslims.

    7 9.72%
  • They are not Muslims, and should not be called Muslims.

    37 51.39%
  • They are Muslims, but they are rather misguided.

    10 13.89%
  • If you have taken the Shahada and believe what it states, you are a Muslim.

    13 18.06%
  • Other

    5 6.94%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 174
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Question What do you think of Quranists?

    Please keep in mind that not all Quranists view things the same way, unlike the other sects.

  2. #2
    Bismillahirrahmanirrahim. Bint Muaawiya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    2,902
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    204 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    86

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Lol. I voted they are not Muslims.

  3. #3
    An unworthy sinner
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    3,039
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    the Quranists are influenced by the shia as they are the first ones who came up with these ideas of casting doubt on the hadith and sahabas

  4. #4
    wal 'aqibatulil muttaqeen Uthman Ibn Afan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    8,730
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    If they reject the Sunnah, then thats kufr. In Quran we are commanded to obey Allah and His Messenger . So when they reject Sunnah they are in fact not even following the Quran.

    They are upon baatil. .
    Last edited by Uthman Ibn Afan; 06-02-14 at 09:13 PM.
    http://kondori.wordpress.com/

    Like this page on FB
    HasbunAllah Wani'mal Wakeel | حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل

    Allah is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs.

    "...its better to light a small candle than to curse the darkness..."

    "We need to emphasise that differences of fiqh are the not the depth of religion, the depth of religion is piety." ~
    Shaykh Akram Nadwi


    Salātullāhi wa Salāmuhu ‘alayka ya Rasūlallāh


    http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...2vbxo1_500.jpg

  5. #5
    bows out Fairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    20,839
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    746

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    I voted misguided

    if after educating them they still refuse to believe then yes then they non muslim
    My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
    ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
    “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

  6. #6
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,047
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5068 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    910

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresomehoopla View Post
    Please keep in mind that not all Quranists view things the same way, unlike the other sects.
    If you are referring to those who Reject the Hadith/Sunnah of Rasulullah they have committed Kufr and are out of the fold of Islam, Unanimously held as Kuffar on the consensus of the Ulema.

    you can't be a Muslim and reject the Sunnah/Authentic Ahadith of the Messenger

    doing so also goes against several passages of the Quran.

    there have been several threads proving this in detail

    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

  7. #7
    Odan
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    9,016
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    949 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    546

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Rejecting the whole corpus of hadith as an invention is rejecting the Qur'an, Sunnah, and the statements of Rasoolullah

    This is kufr al akbar and whoever holds this kind of aqeedah is a kaffir. In short, Hadith rejectors/Qur'an only are kuffar.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    What about Muslims who reject some Hadiths, and accept others?

  9. #9
    wal 'aqibatulil muttaqeen Uthman Ibn Afan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    8,730
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresomehoopla View Post
    What about Muslims who reject some Hadiths, and accept others?
    Depends which hadith they reject and on what basis do they accept/reject.
    http://kondori.wordpress.com/

    Like this page on FB
    HasbunAllah Wani'mal Wakeel | حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل

    Allah is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs.

    "...its better to light a small candle than to curse the darkness..."

    "We need to emphasise that differences of fiqh are the not the depth of religion, the depth of religion is piety." ~
    Shaykh Akram Nadwi


    Salātullāhi wa Salāmuhu ‘alayka ya Rasūlallāh


    http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...2vbxo1_500.jpg

  10. #10
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,047
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5068 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    910

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresomehoopla View Post
    What about Muslims who reject some Hadiths, and accept others?
    there are certain matters which Legitimate differences of opinion exist, however we don't reject any Authentic Hadith.

    if it is an Authentic Hadith, Sahih etc than we don't have the option to reject it.

    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

  11. #11
    ...اللهم أحفظ لنا قلوبنا whisperofimaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    2,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    93

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quranists reject hadith thinking they can do without it. Apparently it wasn't explained to them that one of the reasons we have the sunnah of the prophet is that it clarifies/explains the Quran. Rejecting the sunnah = rejecting the second part of the shahada ( wa anna Muhammadan Rasoullah ). Therefore, they are not from the muslims. This shows the importance of knowing one's a'qeedah.
    الحق لا يعرف بالرجال، اعرف الحق تعرف رجاله

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    I haven't made up my mind on Hadiths yet, but I understand where Quranists are coming from. There are some seriously ridiculous Hadiths out there. From the fly landing in a drink with a disease on one wing and the cure on the other, to Shaytan spending his night in my nose, to the banning of Chess (Which is actually beneficial to your intelligence) to licking your fingers after eating, and many more in between.

  13. #13
    الحمد لله‎ .Hajar.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    13,223
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1684 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    442

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    ^ But if/when they are saheeh/authentic ahadeeth then why not simply accept them as truth?



  14. #14
    Bismillahirrahmanirrahim. Bint Muaawiya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    2,902
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    204 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    86

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by .Hajar. View Post
    ^ But if/when they are saheeh/authentic ahadeeth then why not simply accept them as truth?
    his a 13 your old revert. He needs teachers to teach him about hadith not some random sites that gets him confused.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by .Hajar. View Post
    ^ But if/when they are saheeh/authentic ahadeeth then why not simply accept them as truth?
    How authentic are these ones that I mention? And like I said, they're not the only ones like this. What portion of Hadiths are authentic/Non-Authentic?

  16. #16
    wal 'aqibatulil muttaqeen Uthman Ibn Afan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    8,730
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    147

    What do you think of Quranists?

    What research did you do before jumping to your misguided conclusions?
    http://kondori.wordpress.com/

    Like this page on FB
    HasbunAllah Wani'mal Wakeel | حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل

    Allah is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs.

    "...its better to light a small candle than to curse the darkness..."

    "We need to emphasise that differences of fiqh are the not the depth of religion, the depth of religion is piety." ~
    Shaykh Akram Nadwi


    Salātullāhi wa Salāmuhu ‘alayka ya Rasūlallāh


    http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...2vbxo1_500.jpg

  17. #17
    wal 'aqibatulil muttaqeen Uthman Ibn Afan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    8,730
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    147
    Qalandar Sahib hits the nail on the head once again:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://kondori.wordpress.com/

    Like this page on FB
    HasbunAllah Wani'mal Wakeel | حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل

    Allah is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs.

    "...its better to light a small candle than to curse the darkness..."

    "We need to emphasise that differences of fiqh are the not the depth of religion, the depth of religion is piety." ~
    Shaykh Akram Nadwi


    Salātullāhi wa Salāmuhu ‘alayka ya Rasūlallāh


    http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...2vbxo1_500.jpg

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    I do not demand scientific benefits from Sunnah/Hadith, that is absurd. I would however, like the Sunnah/Hadith to line up with science. If it contradicts science, then it is not from God. Clearly a fly which lands on my drink doesn't have a disease...Okay maybe it does but it certainly does not contain the cure...Nor would I want to drink from the water after the fly landed in it. As for my research, it seemed common sense to disregard any Hadith in contradiction with the Quran, and I was told that it is extremely hard to determine the authenticity of a Hadith if you do not speak Arabic. By the way, if you do speak Arabic then I would like to know the authenticity of the Hadiths I just mentioned, or a way for a person who does not speak Arabic to find their authenticity.

  19. #19
    Muslim
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,720
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresomehoopla View Post
    I would however, like the Sunnah/Hadith to line up with science. If it contradicts science, then it is not from God.
    Assalaamu Alaykum.

    Actually you know what I recommend is that you go study under a teacher who's knowledgeable in the field of hadeeth and ask him to teach you about the field of hadeeth because right now its quite possible that you don't have the correct understanding in that regard.

    I dont want to get into a tiresome debate.
    Last edited by neighbour; 07-02-14 at 07:09 PM.

  20. #20
    Odan
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    9,016
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    949 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    546

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresomehoopla View Post
    I haven't made up my mind on Hadiths yet, but I understand where Quranists are coming from. There are some seriously ridiculous Hadiths out there. From the fly landing in a drink with a disease on one wing and the cure on the other, to Shaytan spending his night in my nose, to the banning of Chess (Which is actually beneficial to your intelligence) to licking your fingers after eating, and many more in between.
    That is what happens when you jump into hadith without any background knowledge or direction anything

    Focus on the Qur'an first if you are attempting to learn the Deen.

  21. #21
    hating on progressives AhlulQuran88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    3,098
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    96
    Ignorant of the very book they claim to follow. I've talked to a few they don't even understand half the time what it is that they are quoting

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Everybody seems to be very vague about this. I understand we do not want a debate, but I need a reason/explanation for these Hadiths being so absurd. If I am interpreting them wrong, or they are not authentic, then somebody please tell me.

  23. #23
    Muslim
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,720
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    You can try www.askimam.org and ask your question there

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    That site asks me for my phone number; I don't have one nor can I get one, because i'm only 13.

  25. #25
    Muslim
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,720
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresomehoopla View Post
    That site asks me for my phone number; I don't have one nor can I get one, because i'm only 13.
    I just did "Private" I think.

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    There is no private option

  27. #27
    Muslim
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,720
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    no just filled it in as private i meant

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    It still won't let me log in.

  29. #29
    Muslim
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,720
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    oh yeah i think i had trouble with that too.

    try changing your password and signing in with that.

  30. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Now it won't send me the email. Any similar sites?

  31. #31
    abu sab'a
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    17,459
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3300 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    302

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresomehoopla View Post
    Everybody seems to be very vague about this. I understand we do not want a debate, but I need a reason/explanation for these Hadiths being so absurd. If I am interpreting them wrong, or they are not authentic, then somebody please tell me.
    do you mean this hadith

    Narrated Abu Huraira: "Allah's Apostle said, "If a fly falls in the vessel of any of you, let him dip all of it (into the vessel) and then throw it away, for in one of its wings there is a disease and in the other there is healing (antidote for it) i e. the treatment for that disease." (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 673)"

    TBH I trust the Prophet saw sahih hadiths without question as he saw would never have said anything that was not beneficial. WHere he saw was ''wrong'' was in worldly matters eg when asked where dates should be planted and it didn't yield a good crop. But again here the message was for us ie ask those who are experts in those fields

    anyway baring in mind I am not a scientist you may find this interesting

    A team of researchers in Australia Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University found that antibiotics are found on the surface of flies

    "Our research is a small part of a global research effort for new antibiotics, but we are looking where we believe no-one has looked before," said Ms Joanne Clarke, who presented the group's findings at the Australian Society for Microbiology Conference in Melbourne

    There are other quotes from other uni's too

    The male fruitfly, Drosophila melanogaster, transfers to his mate proteins that increase his reproductive success by causing changes in her behavior and physiology. Here we show that among the transferred proteins are ones with antibacterial activity

    Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA

  32. #32
    Muslim
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,720
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresomehoopla View Post
    Now it won't send me the email. Any similar sites?
    www.islamqa.info

  33. #33
    Odan
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    9,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresomehoopla View Post
    I do not demand scientific benefits from Sunnah/Hadith, that is absurd. I would however, like the Sunnah/Hadith to line up with science. If it contradicts science, then it is not from God. Clearly a fly which lands on my drink doesn't have a disease...Okay maybe it does but it certainly does not contain the cure...Nor would I want to drink from the water after the fly landed in it. As for my research, it seemed common sense to disregard any Hadith in contradiction with the Quran, and I was told that it is extremely hard to determine the authenticity of a Hadith if you do not speak Arabic. By the way, if you do speak Arabic then I would like to know the authenticity of the Hadiths I just mentioned, or a way for a person who does not speak Arabic to find their authenticity.

    1- The Prophet's Sayings:

    Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, made a remarkable statement about the flies carrying antidotes:

    Narrated Abu Huraira: "Allah's Apostle said, "If a fly falls in the vessel of any of you, let him dip all of it (into the vessel) and then throw it away, for in one of its wings there is a disease and in the other there is healing (antidote for it) i e. the treatment for that disease." (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 673)"

    Narrated Abu Huraira: "The Prophet said "If a house fly falls in the drink of anyone of you, he should dip it (in the drink), for one of its wings has a disease and the other has the cure for the disease." (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 54, Number 537)"





    2- The Scientific Proofs:

    The following articles are from non-Muslim Western sources.



    Article #1:

    From http://abc.gov.au/science/articles/2...01/689400.htm: (This is an official Government web site)

    The new buzz on antibiotics

    Tuesday, 1 October 2002 Danny Kingsley - ABC Science Online

    fly head
    Ugly but useful: The sheep blowfly
    is one of the fly species that might
    provide humans with new
    antibiotics. (Pic: BioTrack.)
    Related Stories

    Scientists to squeeze antibiotics out of sea sponge, Science Online, 04 Oct 2000
    Oz fungi screened for new antibiotics, Science Online, 06 Nov 2008
    Space to grow antibiotics, Science Online, 06 Nov 2008
    The surface of flies is the last place you would expect to find antibiotics, yet that is exactly where a team of Australian researchers is concentrating their efforts.

    Working on the theory that flies must have remarkable antimicrobial defences to survive rotting dung, meat and fruit, the team at the Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University, set out to identify those antibacterial properties manifesting at different stages of a fly's development.

    "Our research is a small part of a global research effort for new antibiotics, but we are looking where we believe no-one has looked before," said Ms Joanne Clarke, who presented the group's findings at the Australian Society for Microbiology Conference in Melbourne this week. The project is part of her PhD thesis.

    The scientists tested four different species of fly: a house fly, a sheep blowfly, a vinegar fruit fly and the control, a Queensland fruit fly which lays its eggs in fresh fruit. These larvae do not need as much antibacterial compound because they do not come into contact with as much bacteria.

    Flies go through the life stages of larvae and pupae before becoming adults. In the pupae stage, the fly is encased in a protective casing and does not feed. "We predicted they would not produce many antibiotics," said Ms Clarke.

    They did not. However the larvae all showed antibacterial properties (except that of the Queensland fruit fly control).

    As did all the adult fly species, including the Queensland fruit fly (which at this point requires antibacterial protection because it has contact with other flies and is mobile).

    Such properties were present on the fly surface in all four species, although antibacterial properties occur in the gut as well. "You find activity in both places," said Ms Clarke.

    "The reason we concentrated on the surface is because it is a simpler extraction."

    The antibiotic material is extracted by drowning the flies in ethanol, then running the mixture through a filter to obtain the crude extract.

    When this was placed in a solution with various bacteria including E.coli, Golden Staph, Candida (a yeast) and a common hospital pathogen, antibiotic action was observed every time.

    "We are now trying to identify the specific antibacterial compounds," said Ms Clarke. Ultimately these will be chemically synthesised.

    Because the compounds are not from bacteria, any genes conferring resistance to them may not be as easily transferred into pathogens. It is hoped this new form of antibiotics will have a longer effective therapeutic life.



    Article #2:

    From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15462958: (Another official Government web site)


    Antibacterial action of Myiasis-causing flies.

    Erdmann GR.
    Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA.

    Some species of calliphorid blowflies lay their eggs in wounds; their larvae develop by feeding on the tissue, and the infection is known as myiasis or fly-strike. But wounds, from whatever cause, are frequently contaminated with bacteria - many o f which can spread in the bloodstream causing septicaemia and/or toxaemia. For example, wound contamination with Clostridium welchii - leading to 'gas gangrene' - was a frequent cause of death amongst battlefield casualties. It is from such situations that early observations were made on the beneficial effect of some blowfly larvae in limiting the bacterial infection of wounds. Indeed, some military surgeons would deliberately infest wounds with blowfly maggots in order to prevent bacterial complications. Now, a century or two later, the search for new antibiotics had led researchers back to these early observations, and in this article, Gory Erdmann describes progress in understanding the antibacterial action of blowfly maggots.

    PMID: 15462958 [PubMed]



    Article #3:

    "Drosophila males transfer antibacterial proteins from their accessory gland and ejaculatory duct to their mates Purchase the full-text article

    References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

    O. Lung1, a, L. Kuoa and M.F. WolfnerCorresponding Author Contact Information, a, E-mail The Corresponding Author

    Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA

    Received 7 July 2000;
    accepted 25 October 2000.
    Available online 8 March 2001.

    Abstract

    The male fruitfly, Drosophila melanogaster, transfers to his mate proteins that increase his reproductive success by causing changes in her behavior and physiology. Here we show that among the transferred proteins are ones with antibacterial activity. We performed Escherichia coli overlay assays of native PAGE or renatured SDS–PAGE of reproductive tissue extracts of wild-type or transgenic males deficient in accessory gland function. We detected a 28 kDa male accessory gland-derived protein and two ejaculatory duct-derived proteins all with antibacterial activity. Based on its gel mobility and tissue of synthesis, one of the ejaculatory duct proteins is likely to be andropin, a previously-reported 6 kDa antibacterial peptide. All three proteins are transferred to females during mating. Therefore, they could assist in protecting the male's reproductive tract and, after transfer to the female, the female's reproductive tract or eggs against bacterial infection. Since seminal fluid proteins are transferred before the sperm, these antibacterial proteins may also protect sperm from bacterial infection.


    Keywords: Antibacterial; Antimicrobial; Reproduction; Seminal fluid; Andropin" (Source)
    Worship only the CREATOR, HE is One and HE is the SUSTAINER of the Universe. Do not worship any of HIS creations nor through HIS creations

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by aboosait View Post

    1- The Prophet's Sayings:

    Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, made a remarkable statement about the flies carrying antidotes:

    Narrated Abu Huraira: "Allah's Apostle said, "If a fly falls in the vessel of any of you, let him dip all of it (into the vessel) and then throw it away, for in one of its wings there is a disease and in the other there is healing (antidote for it) i e. the treatment for that disease." (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 673)"

    Narrated Abu Huraira: "The Prophet said "If a house fly falls in the drink of anyone of you, he should dip it (in the drink), for one of its wings has a disease and the other has the cure for the disease." (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 54, Number 537)"





    2- The Scientific Proofs:

    The following articles are from non-Muslim Western sources.



    Article #1:

    From http://abc.gov.au/science/articles/2...01/689400.htm: (This is an official Government web site)

    The new buzz on antibiotics

    Tuesday, 1 October 2002 Danny Kingsley - ABC Science Online

    fly head
    Ugly but useful: The sheep blowfly
    is one of the fly species that might
    provide humans with new
    antibiotics. (Pic: BioTrack.)
    Related Stories

    Scientists to squeeze antibiotics out of sea sponge, Science Online, 04 Oct 2000
    Oz fungi screened for new antibiotics, Science Online, 06 Nov 2008
    Space to grow antibiotics, Science Online, 06 Nov 2008
    The surface of flies is the last place you would expect to find antibiotics, yet that is exactly where a team of Australian researchers is concentrating their efforts.

    Working on the theory that flies must have remarkable antimicrobial defences to survive rotting dung, meat and fruit, the team at the Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University, set out to identify those antibacterial properties manifesting at different stages of a fly's development.

    "Our research is a small part of a global research effort for new antibiotics, but we are looking where we believe no-one has looked before," said Ms Joanne Clarke, who presented the group's findings at the Australian Society for Microbiology Conference in Melbourne this week. The project is part of her PhD thesis.

    The scientists tested four different species of fly: a house fly, a sheep blowfly, a vinegar fruit fly and the control, a Queensland fruit fly which lays its eggs in fresh fruit. These larvae do not need as much antibacterial compound because they do not come into contact with as much bacteria.

    Flies go through the life stages of larvae and pupae before becoming adults. In the pupae stage, the fly is encased in a protective casing and does not feed. "We predicted they would not produce many antibiotics," said Ms Clarke.

    They did not. However the larvae all showed antibacterial properties (except that of the Queensland fruit fly control).

    As did all the adult fly species, including the Queensland fruit fly (which at this point requires antibacterial protection because it has contact with other flies and is mobile).

    Such properties were present on the fly surface in all four species, although antibacterial properties occur in the gut as well. "You find activity in both places," said Ms Clarke.

    "The reason we concentrated on the surface is because it is a simpler extraction."

    The antibiotic material is extracted by drowning the flies in ethanol, then running the mixture through a filter to obtain the crude extract.

    When this was placed in a solution with various bacteria including E.coli, Golden Staph, Candida (a yeast) and a common hospital pathogen, antibiotic action was observed every time.

    "We are now trying to identify the specific antibacterial compounds," said Ms Clarke. Ultimately these will be chemically synthesised.

    Because the compounds are not from bacteria, any genes conferring resistance to them may not be as easily transferred into pathogens. It is hoped this new form of antibiotics will have a longer effective therapeutic life.



    Article #2:

    From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15462958: (Another official Government web site)


    Antibacterial action of Myiasis-causing flies.

    Erdmann GR.
    Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA.

    Some species of calliphorid blowflies lay their eggs in wounds; their larvae develop by feeding on the tissue, and the infection is known as myiasis or fly-strike. But wounds, from whatever cause, are frequently contaminated with bacteria - many o f which can spread in the bloodstream causing septicaemia and/or toxaemia. For example, wound contamination with Clostridium welchii - leading to 'gas gangrene' - was a frequent cause of death amongst battlefield casualties. It is from such situations that early observations were made on the beneficial effect of some blowfly larvae in limiting the bacterial infection of wounds. Indeed, some military surgeons would deliberately infest wounds with blowfly maggots in order to prevent bacterial complications. Now, a century or two later, the search for new antibiotics had led researchers back to these early observations, and in this article, Gory Erdmann describes progress in understanding the antibacterial action of blowfly maggots.

    PMID: 15462958 [PubMed]



    Article #3:

    "Drosophila males transfer antibacterial proteins from their accessory gland and ejaculatory duct to their mates Purchase the full-text article

    References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

    O. Lung1, a, L. Kuoa and M.F. WolfnerCorresponding Author Contact Information, a, E-mail The Corresponding Author

    Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA

    Received 7 July 2000;
    accepted 25 October 2000.
    Available online 8 March 2001.

    Abstract

    The male fruitfly, Drosophila melanogaster, transfers to his mate proteins that increase his reproductive success by causing changes in her behavior and physiology. Here we show that among the transferred proteins are ones with antibacterial activity. We performed Escherichia coli overlay assays of native PAGE or renatured SDS–PAGE of reproductive tissue extracts of wild-type or transgenic males deficient in accessory gland function. We detected a 28 kDa male accessory gland-derived protein and two ejaculatory duct-derived proteins all with antibacterial activity. Based on its gel mobility and tissue of synthesis, one of the ejaculatory duct proteins is likely to be andropin, a previously-reported 6 kDa antibacterial peptide. All three proteins are transferred to females during mating. Therefore, they could assist in protecting the male's reproductive tract and, after transfer to the female, the female's reproductive tract or eggs against bacterial infection. Since seminal fluid proteins are transferred before the sperm, these antibacterial proteins may also protect sperm from bacterial infection.


    Keywords: Antibacterial; Antimicrobial; Reproduction; Seminal fluid; Andropin" (Source)
    Yes, but there are two problems... In modern day you can just get new water, however I suppose this hadith made sense for its time. However there are much much more hadiths that say ridiculous things. There is one that claims that yawning is of the devil, I don't believe there is any proof of negative effects of yawning... There is another one that states the fever is from the heat of hell. This is false, the fever is a natural response, getting rid of it lengthens the sickness. I can testify to this. There is yet another one that says chess is evil, nevermind the fact that studies show it makes you more intelligent. And then there are just plain ridiculous ones, such as the hadith where a rock runs away with Moses'(Alaihi Salam) clothes. I think, that some hadiths truly are from the Prophet(PBUH) but, a lot of them are downright absurd. There are much more ridiculous ones, it would take forever to list them all. Given that I still say PBUH for our Prophet(PBUH) and I still accept certain Hadiths as the word of Muhammad(PBUH), that would still make me a Muslim by Sunni/Shia definition.

  35. #35
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,047
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5068 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    910

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    ... forgot I replied to this already
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

  36. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Yes, I know that there are unauthentic Hadiths, but if all the absurd Hadiths are unauthentic, then A LOT of Hadiths are unauthentic. From what I've heard only a minority are fabricated.

    Is there a fool-proof way for English speakers to determine the authenticity of a Hadith?

  37. #37
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,047
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5068 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    910

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresomehoopla View Post
    Yes, I know that there are unauthentic Hadiths, but if all the absurd Hadiths are unauthentic, then A LOT of Hadiths are unauthentic. From what I've heard only a minority are fabricated.

    Is there a fool-proof way for English speakers to determine the authenticity of a Hadith?
    The Hadith collections in Sahih Al Bukhari and Muslim are all Authentic, other collections include Riyaadus Saliheen (Gardens of the Righteous) which contains Selections of Authentic Ahadith from various books, Imam Nawawi's 40 ahadith collection/40 Hadith Qudsi collection are all books that can be used by any English speaker. All of these contain Authentic Ahadith.

    If you want to know about how Hadith are classified, then have a read through this link,

    http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Hadith/Ulum/

    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    What do you think of Quranists?

    Does it matter if a hadith is true or not?


    Extract knowledge from it as you would from anything you read, like a drama book.

    But, if a hadith tells you to do something then you have to be careful. God tells us in the Quran that every command belongs indeed to Him. Knowing this, a story outside of the Quran telling you what to do must be in accordance with the Book (such as learning how to pray, you know you must pray so the hadith compliments the Book). I personally wouldn't say to my daughter to eat with her right hand only, so then kids think she isn't normal in school and that she learned it from Allah.


    Elhamdulila. Peace.

  39. #39
    Abu-Tawheed Saif-Uddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    34,047
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5068 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    910

    Re: What do you think of Quranists?

    Quote Originally Posted by nane View Post
    Does it matter if a hadith is true or not?


    Extract knowledge from it as you would from anything you read, like a drama book.

    But, if a hadith tells you to do something then you have to be careful. God tells us in the Quran that every command belongs indeed to Him. Knowing this, a story outside of the Quran telling you what to do must be in accordance with the Book (such as learning how to pray, you know you must pray so the hadith compliments the Book). I personally wouldn't say to my daughter to eat with her right hand only, so then kids think she isn't normal in school and that she learned it from Allah.


    Elhamdulila. Peace.
    of course it does, that is why they were Classified Sahih, Hassan etc in the first place,

    we don't extract knowledge from falsehood/doubtful material.
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

    "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

    – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    What do you think of Quranists?

    @Saif


    You must understand that if it doesn't tell you what to do. It can possibly not matter. Only a few tell you to change your life. So I'm telling the person to think if perhaps the hadith with the fly is informational to him. Thanks. pz

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.2.7 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com

MPADC.com Islamic Web Hosting | Muslim Ad Network | Islamic Nasheeds | Islamic Mobile App Developement Android & iPhone | Islamic Web Hosting : Muslim Designers : Labbayk Nasheeds : silk route jilbab: Hijab: : Web Islamic Newsletter: Islamic Web Hosting

Students of Arabic Forum | Hijab Shop