Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Famous Converts to Islam

Famous Converts to Islam
    1. Khadijah - wife of Muhammad. First convert to Islam.
    2. Shabbetai Tzevi - seventeenth-century Turkish Jew who had claimed to be Messiah and attracted a large following. His conversion to Islam largely dissolved this mass messianic Jewish movement, but also resulted in the development of the ongoing Donmeh religious movement.
    3. Malcolm X - More popularly known as Malcom X; black-rights activist and religious leader. In 1964, after a pilgrimage to Mecca, he announced his conversion to orthodox Islam and his belief in the possibility of brotherhood between blacks and whites.
    4. Cat Stevens - World famous legendary British pop singer. He converted to Islam in 1973 and changed his name to Yusuf Islam.
    5. Art Blakey - Abdullah Ibn Buhaina - American drummer and jazz musician. His contribution to jazz from 1954 to 1990 as leader of the Jazz Messengers established the sound Hard Bop, greatly influencing later generations of musicians and entertainers.
    6. Muhammad Ali - Greatest sportsman of all time. Boxing legend, three times world champion, and convert to Sunni Islam.
    7. Matthew Saad Muhammad - world champion boxer (formerly Matt Franklin) .
    8. Dwight Muhammad Qawi - World champion boxer (formerly Dwight Braxton).
    9. Eddie Mustapha Muhammad - World champion lightweight boxer (formerly Eddie Gregory).
    10. Mustafa Hamsho - World champion boxing legend.
    11. Akbar Muhammad - Boxer.
    12. Hamdan Chris Eubank - In March 1997, after former super middleweight world champion Chris Eubank defeated Camilo Alocon of Columbia at the Dubai Tennis Stadium in a light heavyweight contest, Eubank embraced Islam and took the name Hamdan.
    13. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Formerly Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor. Before the 1971-72 season Alcindor converted from Catholicism to Islam and took the name Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He played 20 seasons in the league with the Milwaukee Bucks and Los Angeles Lakers. By the time the 7 foot 2 basketball player retired in 1989, Abdul-Jabbar was a six-time Most Valuable Player and is now one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History.
    14. Queen Noor - Born Lisa Najeeb Halaby to a prominent Arab-American family. Raised by Christian parents, she converted to Islam when she married the late King Hussein, a Hashemite and descendant of the prophet?s line, on 15 June 1978. When she converted, she changed her name to Noor al-Hussein -- the light of Hussein.
    15. Maryam Jameelah - Formerly Margaret Marcus; Jewish American essayist, poet, journalist and author of several highly acclaimed books. She converted from Judaism to Islam in 1962. An Open Letter To Her Parents.
    16. Daniel Moore - Highly talented Anglo-American poet.
    17. Muhammad Marmaduke (William) Pickthall - He was born William Pickthall in 1875 in London. He converted to Islam in 1917 and by 1930 Pickthall published The Meaning of the Glorious Koran; which was an English language translation (meaning) of the Qur?an.
    18. Michael Wolfe - Author of The Hajj: An American's Pilgrimage to Mecca, and One Thousand Roads to Mecca: Ten Centuries of Travelers Writing About the Muslim Pilgrimage. Born of a Christian mother and Jewish father, he is most well known for his documentary on ABC?s Nightline which aired on April 18, 1997 called An American in Mecca.
    19. Aminah Assilmi - Denver area broadcast journalist; now director of the International Union of Muslim Women (former Baptist)
    20. Jemima Goldsmith - daughter of British billionaire Sir James Goldsmith, who married Imran Khan. Converted to Islam and changed name to Haiqa Khan.
    Last edited by Abdullah al-Muhajir; 07-06-04 at 09:56 AM.
    Please Re-update your Signature

Float like a butterfly ...
    Anayat Durrani

Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr., was born in Louisville, Kentucky on January 18, 1942. At the young age of 12, Clay received his first boxing lessons. By the age of 16 he would go on to win the Louisville Golden Gloves tournament as a light heavyweight, sending him to the quarter finals of the regional championship in Chicago.

In 1960, Clay won the Olympic Gold Medal as a Light Heavyweight at the age of 18, launching him on his way toward a professional career in boxing. In 1964, at the age of 22, Clay became an undefeated heavyweight champion. These events were the beginning of a 20+ year career in boxing that would ultimately earn him a title as the three-time Heavy Weight Champion of the World.

In 1963, Clay joined the Nation of Islam. Soon after, he would change his name to Muhammad Ali. Ali would eventually find disagreement with some of the beliefs of the Nation of Islam, and instead join the religion of Islam. In a 1991 Sport's Illustrated interview by Bill Nack, Ali told him "I was Cassius Clay then. I was a Negro. I ate pork. I had no confidence. I thought white people were superior. I was a Christian Baptist named Cassius Clay. ''

Ali had a record of 56 wins and five losses and was both well loved and hated for his charismatic and confident manner in describing his looks, his fighting and his beliefs. Ali was famous for his poetic phrases like "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee," and proclaiming "I am the greatest." He was also a man that stood firmly to his principles and faith. In 1967, Ali refused to be inducted into the U.S. Army claiming conscientious objector status as a "minister of the religion of Islam." His refusal got him arrested, his boxing license suspended, and he was stripped of his heavyweight title.

Ali was banned from boxing for 3 ˝ years only to regain the heavyweight title against George Foreman in 1974 (pictured below). The 1974 fight was documented in the 1996 film "When We Were Kings" by Leon Gast. In 1981, Ali retired from boxing. Muhammad Ali was elected to the boxing Hall of Fame on September 14, 1987.

During his retirement Ali was diagnosed with Parkinson?s Disease, which affected his motor skills, particularly his speech. It is believed that the disease was caused by too many blows to the head. Parkinson's Disease, however, has done little to stop the determination of Ali, who likes to practice his Islamic duty of performing "good deeds."

Ali's charity work has included donating millions of dollars to those in need and organizations of all religious denominations. Much of his work has been done anonymously. In 1990, before the Gulf War erupted, Ali met with Saddam Hussein in Iraq and negotiated the release of 15 hostages.

In 1997 Ali called on the U.S. government to aid the refugees of Rwanda and for Americans to donate to charities involved in helping the people of Rwanda. These are just some of the many contributions Muhammad Ali has made.

Ali is also well known for taking it upon himself to hand out information about Islam to educate people about the Islamic faith. Ali and Thomas Hauser, a Jew, put together a booklet called "Healing" which they distribute freely. The booklet contains quotes on tolerance from various thinkers such as Voltaire, not to mention Ali himself, that the former boxer found moving.

Ali also has a daily hobby of working on what he calls "contradictions." He finds a list of passages in the Bible that are conflicting with other passages and shares these contradictions in an effort to promote and teach Islam. Ali is a devout Muslim, who regularly performs prayers and attends his local mosque near his South Bend estate in Indiana.

At the 1996 Olympic Opening Games Ceremony in Atlanta, Ali was honored to carry the torch before a crowd of 800,000 cheering fans to light the Olympic Flame that would begin the Olympic Games. The moment was a very touching climax in the life of the great boxer Muhammad Ali.

Ali is a man who aside from his notable explosive punches in the ring, overcame many personal obstacles in his own life, while standing firm in his religious beliefs, to become a man that fans and history books will never forget. The boxer may have slowed with age, but he still floats like a butterfly ...

Marmaduke Muhammad Pickthall- a Servant of Islam
    Abu Ali Hadhrami and Dr. A. Zahoor

He was born William Pickthall in 1875 in London, to an Anglican clergyman, and spent his formative years in rural Suffolk. He was contemporary of Winston Churchill at Harrow, the famous private school. During intervals from living a sedentary life in Suffolk, Pickthall traveled extensively in the Arab world and Turkey. In 1917, Pickthall reverted to Islam and soon became a leader among the emerging group of British Muslims.

In 1919, Pickthall worked for the London-based Islamic Information Bureau that among other things published the weekly Muslim Outlook. After completing his last novel the Early Hours in 1920, he departed for his new assignment in India to serve as the editor of the Bombay Chronicle.

Pickthall devoted considerable interest in the independent Islamic empire of India that was gradually eroded through a string of British conspiracies. In 1927, Pickthall took over as the editor of Islamic Culture, a new quarterly journal published under the patronage of the Nizam of Hydrabad. He gave eight lectures on several aspects of Islamic civilization at the invitation of The Committee of "Madras Lectures on Islam" in Madras, India.

His lectures were published under the title "The Cultural Side of Islam" in 1961 by S.M. Ashraf Publishers, Lahore. For an abridged version of his fifth lecture, point your browser to Tolerance in Islam.

The mission of 'translating' the Qur'an had preoccupied Pickthall's mind since he reverted to Islam. He saw that there was an obligation for all Muslims to know the Qur'an intimately. In 1930, Pickthall published The Meaning of the Glorious Koran (A. A. Knopf, New York). Pickthall maintained that the Qur'an being the word of Allah (SWT) could not be translated.

Pickthall returned to England in early 1935, and died a year later on May 19 at St. Ives. He is buried in the Muslim cemetery at Brookwood, Surrey, near Woking. Sixteen years later another distinguished translator Abdullah Yusuf Ali joined him in this earthly domain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How I came to Islam
    Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens)

All I have to say is all what you know already, to confirm what you already know, the message of the Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) as given by God - the Religion of Truth. As human beings we are given a consciousness and a duty that has placed us at the top of creation. Man is created to be God's deputy on earth, and it is important to realize the obligation to rid ourselves of all illusions and to make our lives a preparation for the next life. Anybody who misses this chance is not likely to be given another, to be brought back again and again, because it says in Qur'an Majeed that when man is brought to account, he will say, "O Lord, send us back and give us another chance." The Lord will say, "If I send you back you will do the same."

MY EARLY RELIGIOUS UPBRINGING
    I was brought up in the modern world of all the luxury and the high life of show business. I was born in a Christian home, but we know that every child is born in his original nature - it is only his parents that turn him to this or that religion. I was given this religion (Christianity) and thought this way. I was taught that God exists, but there was no direct contact with God, so we had to make contact with Him through Jesus - he was in fact the door to God. This was more or less accepted by me, but I did not swallow it all.I looked at some of the statues of Jesus; they were just stones with no life. And when they said that God is three, I was puzzled even more but could not argue. I more or less believed it, because I had to have respect for the faith of my parents.

POP STAR
    Gradually I became alienated from this religious upbringing. I started making music. I wanted to be a big star. All those things I saw in the films and on the media took hold of me, and perhaps I thought this was my God, the goal of making money. I had an uncle who had a beautiful car. "Well," I said, "he has it made. He has a lot of money." The people around me influenced me to think that this was it; this world was their God.I decided then that this was the life for me; to make a lot of money, have a 'great life.' Now my examples were the pop stars. I started making songs, but deep down I had a feeling for humanity, a feeling that if I became rich I would help the needy. (It says in the Qur'an, we make a promise, but when we make something, we want to hold onto it and become greedy.)

So what happened was that I became very famous. I was still a teenager, my name and photo were splashed in all the media. They made me larger than life, so I wanted to live larger than life and the only way to do that was to be intoxicated (with liquor and drugs).

IN HOSPITAL
    After a year of financial success and 'high' living, I became very ill, contracted TB and had to be hospitalized. It was then that I started to think: What was to happen to me? Was I just a body, and my goal in life was merely to satisfy this body? I realized now that this calamity was a blessing given to me by Allah, a chance to open my eyes - "Why am I here? Why am I in bed?" - and I started looking for some of the answers. At that time there was great interest in the Eastern mysticism.

I began reading, and the first thing I began to become aware of was death, and that the soul moves on; it does not stop. I felt I was taking the road to bliss and high accomplishment. I started meditating and even became a vegetarian. I now believed in 'peace and flower power,' and this was the general trend. But what I did believe in particular was that I was not just a body. This awareness came to me at the hospital.One day when I was walking and I was caught in the rain, I began running to the shelter and then I realized, 'Wait a minute, my body is getting wet, my body is telling me I am getting wet.'

This made me think of a saying that the body is like a donkey, and it has to be trained where it has to go. Otherwise, the donkey will lead you where it wants to go.

Then I realized I had a will, a God-given gift: follow the will of God. I was fascinated by the new terminology I was learning in the Eastern religion.

By now I was fed up with Christianity. I started making music again and this time I started reflecting my own thoughts. I remember the lyric of one of my songs. It goes like this: "I wish I knew, I wish I knew what makes the Heaven, what makes the Hell. Do I get to know You in my bed or some dusty cell while others reach the big hotel?" and I knew I was on the Path.
    I also wrote another song, "The Way to Find God Out."

I became even more famous in the world of music. I really had a difficult time because I was getting rich and famous, and at the same time, I was sincerely searching for the Truth. Then I came to a stage where I decided that Buddhism is all right and noble, but I was not ready to leave the world. I was too attached to the world and was not prepared to become a monk and to isolate myself from society.

I tried Zen and Ching, numerology, tarot cards and astrology. I tried to look back into the Bible and could not find anything. At this time I did not know anything about Islam, and then, what I regarded as a miracle occurred. My brother had visited the mosque in Jerusalem and was greatly impressed that while on the one hand it throbbed with life (unlike the churches and synagogues which were empty), on the other hand, an atmosphere of peace and tranquillity prevailed.

THE QUR'AN
    When he came to London he brought back a translation of the Qur'an, which he gave to me. He did not become a Muslim, but he felt something in this religion, and thought I might find something in it also.

And when I received the book, a guidance that would explain everything to me - who I was; what was the purpose of life; what was the reality and what would be the reality; and where I came from - I realized that this was the true religion; religion not in the sense the West understands it, not the type for only your old age. In the West, whoever wishes to embrace a religion and make it his only way of life is deemed a fanatic. I was not a fanatic, I was at first confused between the body and the soul. Then I realized that the body and soul are not apart and you don't have to go to the mountain to be religious. We must follow the will of God. Then we can rise higher than the angels. The first thing I wanted to do now was to be a Muslim.

I realized that everything belongs to God, that slumber does not overtake Him. He created everything. At this point I began to lose the pride in me, because hereto I had thought the reason I was here was because of my own greatness. But I realized that I did not create myself, and the whole purpose of my being here was to submit to the teaching that has been perfected by the religion we know as Al-Islam.

At this point I started discovering my faith. I felt I was a Muslim. On reading the Qur'an, I now realized that all the Prophets sent by God brought the same message. Why then were the Jews and Christians different? I know now how the Jews did not accept Jesus as the Messiah and that they had changed His Word. Even the Christians misunderstand God's Word and called Jesus the son of God. Everything made so much sense. This is the beauty of the Qur'an; it asks you to reflect and reason, and not to worship the sun or moon but the One Who has created everything. The Qur'an asks man to reflect upon the sun and moon and God's creation in general. Do you realize how different the sun is from the moon? They are at varying distances from the earth, yet appear the same size to us; at times one seems to overlap the other.

Even when many of the astronauts go to space, they see the insignificant size of the earth and vastness of space. They become very religious, because they have seen the Signs of Allah.
    When I read the Qur'an further, it talked about prayer, kindness and charity. I was not a Muslim yet, but I felt that the only answer for me was the Qur'an, and God had sent it to me, and I kept it a secret. But the Qur'an also speaks on different levels. I began to understand it on another level, where the Qur'an says, "Those who believe do not take disbelievers for friends and the believers are brothers." Thus at this point I wished to meet my Muslim brothers.

CONVERSION
    Then I decided to journey to Jerusalem (as my brother had done). At Jerusalem, I went to the mosque and sat down. A man asked me what I wanted. I told him I was a Muslim. He asked what was my name. I told him, "Stevens." He was confused. I then joined the prayer, though not so successfully. Back in London, I met a sister called Nafisa. I told her I wanted to embrace Islam and she directed me to the New Regent Mosque. This was in 1977, about one and a half years after I received the Qur'an.

Now I realized that I must get rid of my pride, get rid of Iblis, and face one direction. So on a Friday, after Jumma' I went to the Imam and declared my faith (the Kalima) at this hands. You have before you someone who had achieved fame and fortune. But guidance was something that eluded me, no matter how hard I tried, until I was shown the Qur'an.

Now I realize I can get in direct contact with God, unlike Christianity or any other religion. As one Hindu lady told me, "You don't understand the Hindus. We believe in one God; we use these objects (idols) to merely concentrate." What she was saying was that in order to reach God, one has to create associates, that are idols for the purpose.

But Islam removes all these barriers. The only thing that moves the believers from the disbelievers is the salat. This is the process of purification.Finally I wish to say that everything I do is for the pleasure of Allah and pray that you gain some inspirations from my experiences.

Furthermore, I would like to stress that I did not come into contact with any Muslim before I embraced Islam. I read the Qur'an first and realized that no person is perfect. Islam is perfect, and if we imitate the conduct of the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) we will be successful. May Allah give us guidance to follow the path of the ummah of Muhammad (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam).

Ameen!

www.catstevens.com

Hamza Hanson Yusuf - An Ordinary Nurse and an Intellectual. Coverted in 1977. The Institute he co-Founded... Zaytuna Institute

Hamza Yusuf Hanson - arguably the most respected and well-known scholar in the world today. A great man with extraordinary vision, he has helped many non-Muslims in converting to the great religion of Islam.

Zaytuna Institute is an educational institution he jointly founded, unarguably one of the best today, situated in the state of California. Many well known scholars teach there, and I would love to visit and study in that place one day.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Acknowledged by many players and pundits as the greatest basketball player of all time, voted six times the National Basketball Association's most valuable player, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is also one of the most visible Muslims in the American public arena.

The 7' 2" native upper Harlem, born Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, starred for UCLA before entering the National Basketball Association with the Milwaukee Bucks in 1969. Alcindor later went to the Los Angeles Lakers. He was so dominant in college basketball that "dunking," at which he excelled, was formally banned from the intercollegiate sport. As a result, Lew Alcindor developed the shot for which he is personally the most famous- the"skyhook"- which has been called the shot that changed basketball, and with the help of which he was to score more than thirty eight thousand points in regular-season NBA play.

When Milwaukee won the NBA title in 1970-71, Alcindor,
    who by then reverted to Islam and changed his name to Kareem Abd-ul-Jabbar, was the acclaimed king of basketball.

Lew Alcindor first learned his Islam from Hammas Abd-ul-Khaalis, a former jazz drummer and founder of the Hanafi Madhhab in Washington, D.C. According to his own testimony, he had been raised to take authority seriously, whether that of nuns, teachers, or coaches, and in that spirit he followed the teachings of Abd-ul-Khaalis closely.

It was by him that Alcindor was given the name Abdul Kareem, then changed to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, literally "the noble one, servant of the Almighty." Soon, however, he determined to augment Abdul Khaalis's teachings with his own study of the Quran, for which he undertook to learn basic Arabic. In 1973 he travelled to Libya and Saudi Arabia to get a better grasp of the language and to learn about Islam in some of its "home" contexts.

Abdul-Jabbar was not interested in making the kind of public statement about his Islam that he felt Muhammad Ali had in his opposition to the Vietnam War, wishing simply to identify himself quietly as an African American who was also a Muslim.

He stated clearly that his name Alcindor was a slave name, literally that of the slave-dealer who had taken his family away from West Africa to Dominica to Trinidad, from where they were brought to America.

As a follower of the Hanafi Madhab, Kareem Abd-ul-Jabbar affirms his identity as a Sunni Muslim. He professes a strong belief in the Supreme Being and is clear in his understanding that Muhammad is his prophet and the Quran is the Final Revelation.

Objecting to having been pushed into the Catholic faith by his father, he insists that his children will be free to make their own choices.

.... For his part, Kareem accepts his responsibilty to live as good an Islamic life as possible, recognising that Islam is able to meet much more than just the requirements of being a professional athlete in America, but the way of Life ordained by Allah, Glorified and Exalted be He.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Abdullah al-Muhajir; 07-06-04 at 01:58 PM.

More famous converts to Islam
    1. Mos Def - formerly Dante Smith. He is a recording artist, actor, and activist who converted to Islam in 1993. His 1999 album "Black on Both Sides," opens with ~ Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim ~ (In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful). His tract "Umi Says" became the score for Michael Jordan's "Brand Jordan" Nike division 2001 broadcast campaign "Much Respect."
    2. Fareed Kamal - formerly Jonathan Davis. He is more popularly known as Q-tip, th former member of A Tribe Called Quest. He converted to Islam around 1996.
    3. Erik Schrody - lead singer of Everlast, who is of Irish decent, converted from Catholicism to Islam in 1997. The rapper turned rocker's hit single "What It's Like," off his "Whitey Ford Sings the Blues," garnered triple-platinum sales of his album. The lyrics of his album's closing track, "Graves to Dig," reflect his religion: "One for the prophet/Two for Islam/Three for the khutba from the imam."
    4. Mohammad Asad (1900-1992) - formerly Leopold Weiss, born in Lwow, Galicia now in Poland, to a Jewish father in 1900. Asad was an Austrian statesman, journalist, and leading Muslim scholar, who reverted to Islam in 1926. Asad was a former foreign correspondent for the Frankfuerter Zeitung, and is best known for his books, "Islam at the Crossroads," and "Road to Mecca," and for his English translation of the Qur'an.
    5. Murad Hofman - formerly Wilfried Hoffman. He was born into a Catholic family in Germany in 1931. The Harvard Law graduate, former German diplomat, and former director of information for NATO, embraced Islam in 1980 and changed his name. He has lectured and written extensively on Islam.

There is an excellent biography of Shaykh Marmaduke Pickthall at:

http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/bmh/BMM...kthall_bio.htm

You said it. A very awe-inspiring and complete biography.

Marmaduke Muhammad Pickthall is a blessing unto the mankind from Allah, Glorified and Exalted be He.

His translation of the Meaning of the Noble Qu'ran, enlightens to radiate the soul of the believing Muslim and magnonomously radiates to enlighten the non-Muslim.

He was one of the first in a very long line of native British reverts to Islam, which by God's Grace looks to go on eternally. We even have a few here, like Makki, Anna & Sultan.

Odan
    Suprising the number of (former) Catholics on here.. I wonder what the percentages are as far as Catholics

Account Disabled
    Erik Schrody aka Everlast used to be in House of Pain. I understand that he suffered cardiac arrest and from this point onwards his outlook on life changed. He is also friends with Divine Styler another rapper who is also Muslim. Allah knows best.

What about Yahiya John Emerick? Also, another convert and a great writer of books relating to Islam.

.لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

i read once that that french actor guy, Girard Depardiou.. (forgive spelling) also converted. he was in the movie Green Card with Andie McDowell. i am not sure how much truth there is to that, just something i read before.

Alhumdulillah.

Jemima Goldsmith - daughter of British billionaire Sir James Goldsmith, who married Imran Khan. Converted to Islam and changed name to Haiqa Khan.
    ermm..there has been alot of conspiracy alligations at this seemingly "apparent conversion"

Load of tosh. These 'allegations' were nothing but a vilifying campaign to demean Muslim reversion around the globe.

Here's sister Haiqa's reply:

Why I chose Islam, by bride Jemima Goldsmith
    Sunday Telegraph, May 28, 1995

When Jemima Goldsmith, the 21-year-old daughter of billionaire Sir James, married Imran Khan she embraced not only the world's most handsome sportsman but also the Muslim faith, taking the name Haiqa. Here, in an exclusive account, she tells how she journeyed from the glamorous society of London to the austere religion of Lahore ...

By Jemima Goldsmith

THE media present me as a naive, besotted 21-year-old who has made a hasty decision without really considering the consequences - thus effectively condemning herself to a life of interminable subservience, misery and isolation. Although I must confess I have rather enjoyed the various depictions of a veiled and miserable "Haiqa Khan" incarcerated in chains, the reality is somewhat different. Contrary to current opinion, my decision to convert to Islam was entirely my own choice and in no way hurried. Whilst the act of conversion itself is surprisingly quick - entailing the simple assertion that "there is only one God and Mohammed is His Prophet" - the preparation is not necessarily so speedy a process. In my case, this began last July, whilst the actual conversion took place in early February - three months before the Nikkah in Paris.

During that time, I studied in depth both the Quran and the works of various Islamic scholars (Gai Eaton, the Bosnian president Alia Izetbegovic, Muhammad Asad) , thus giving me ample time to reflect before making my decision. What began as intellectual curiosity slowly ripened into a dawning realisation of the universal and eternal truth that is Islam. In the statement given out a week ago, I particularly stressed that I had converted to Islam entirely "through my own convictions". The significance of this has been largely ignored by the press. The point is that my conversion was not, as so many have assumed, a pre-requisite to my marriage. It was entirely my own choice. Religiously speaking, there was absolutely no compulsion for me to convert prior to my marriage. As it explicitly states in the Quran, a Muslim is permitted to marry from "the People of the Book" - in other words, either a Christian or a Jew. Indeed, the Sunnah - which describes the life of the Prophet - shows that the messenger of Islam himself married both a Christian and a Jew during his lifetime.

I believe that much of this hostility towards my marriage and conversion stems from widespread misconceptions about an alien culture and religion. Not only is there a huge gulf between the Western view of Islam and the reality, but there is in some cases also a significant distinction between Islam based directly on the Quran and the Sunnah and that practised by some Islamic societies. During the last year I have had the opportunity to visit Pakistan on three separate occasions and have observed Islamic family life in practice. Thus, to some extent I now feel qualified to judge for myself the true role and position of women in the religion. At the risk of sounding defensive, I would like to point out that Islam is not a religion which subjugates women whilst elevating men to the status of mini-dictators in their own homes.
    I was able to see this first-hand when I met Imran's sisters in Lahore: they are all highly educated professional women. His oldest sister, Robina, is an alumnus of the LSE and holds a senior position in the United Nations in New York. Another sister, Aleema, has a master's degree in business administration and runs a successful business; Uzma is a highly qualified surgeon working in a Lahore hospital, whilst Rani is a university graduate who co-ordinates charity work. They can hardly be seen as "women in chains" dominated by tyrannical husbands. On the contrary, they are strong-minded independent women - yet at the same time they remain deeply committed both to their families and their religion. Thus, I was able to see - in theory and in practice - how Islam promotes the essential notion of the family unit without subjugating its female members.

I am nevertheless fully aware that women are sometimes exploited and oppressed in Islamic societies, as in other parts of the world. Judging by some of the articles which have appeared in the press, it would seem that a Western woman's happiness hinges largely upon her access to nightclubs, alcohol and revealing clothes; and the absence of such apparent freedom and luxuries in Islamic societies is seen as an infringement of her basic rights. However, as we all know, such superficialities have very little to do with true happiness. Besides, without in any way wishing to disparage the culture of the Western world, into which I was born, I am more than willing to forego the transient pleasures derived from alcohol and nightclubs; and as for the clothes I will be wearing, I find the traditional shalwar kameez (tunic and trousers) worn by most Pakistani women far more elegant and feminine than anything in my wardrobe.
    Finally, it seems futile to speculate on my chances of marital success. Marriage, as Imran's father has been quoted as saying, is indeed "a gamble". However, when I see that in a society based on family life the divorce rate is just a fraction of that in European or American society, I cannot see that my chances of success are any less than if I had chosen to marry a Westerner. I am all too aware of the enormous task of adapting to a new and radically different culture. But with the love of my husband and the support of his family I look forward to the challenge wholeheartedly, and would like to feel that people wish me well. Whilst I do appreciate the genuine concerns of many, I must confess to feeling somewhat bewildered by all of the commotion.

umm...okey

Excellent.

It is so refreshing to hear the journeys of reverts to Islam.

Alhumdulillah.

Assalamu Allaikkum

You might as well as keep track of a footballer Nicholas Anelka, who recently converted tto islam. I dont have mush details about him though.

Waleikum as-salam.

Yes, Anelka has indeed converted to Islam.

His new name is Bilal Abd-us-Salam Anelka.

Originally posted by swan
    i read once that that french actor guy, Girard Depardiou.. (forgive spelling) also converted. he was in the movie Green Card with Andie McDowell. i am not sure how much truth there is to that, just something i read before.
    where did you hear that??? anyone else hear that???? cos I never have... but that would be cool if its true
    .: Anna :.

Originally posted by Khuzamah
    where did you hear that??? anyone else hear that???? cos I never have... but that would be cool if its true
    Hmm ... it could be, very interesting.

Allah, Glorified and Exalted be He, knows best.

Jemima Goldsmith!

Yeah, I even gave an article written by her on conversion to Islam.

A very famous convert to Islam ... majestic Indian music-director A.R. Rahman.

From his very extensive biography:
    During his stint in advertising, he released his first ever complete music album, of Islamic devotional songs, titled 'Deen Isai Malai', in Tamil. This was later followed by 'Set Me Free', an album of English songs which was the launch album of singer Malgudi Subha, by Magnasound, where Dileep set the songs to tune. Subha had earlier sung for Dileep in many jingles. Both the albums went somewhat unnoticed in the market. He also set to tune the poems of poet-author Randhir Khare.

Around this time, in 1988, one of his sisters fell seriously ill and numerous attempts to cure her failed. Her condition progressively worsened. The family tried everything from medicine to religious methods like havans and prayers in the church. The family had given up all hope when they came in close contact with a Muslim Pir - Sheik Abdul Qadir Jeelani or Pir Qadri as he was popularly known. The family had earlier gone to the Pir when his father had similar troubles, but were too late to save him. With his prayers and blessings, Dileep's sister made a miraculous recovery. Rattled by the bad experiences earlier in the case of his father and now his sister and influenced by the teachings of the Pir and the succour that they found in him the entire family converted to Islam. Thus A. S. Dileep Kumar became Allah Rakha Rahman. Today, Rahman says 'Islam has given me peace. As Dileep I had an inferiority complex. As A. R. Rahman I feel like I have been born again.'

Both his father and mother were believers in Astrology. His mother took him along once to a astrologer to get the horoscope of Bala (Talat) done. She asked the astrologer to suggest an Islamic name for Dilip. The astrologer on seeing Dilip immediately told his mother to name him as Abdul Rahman and shorten it to A. R. Rahman. When his mother asked the astrologer why the other initial 'R', the astrologer replied "Give him a name with two initials and mark my words, he will grow up to be a great man". His mother did accordingly. But the A and R would later become Allah Rakha on the suggestion of reknowned composer Naushad Ali.

In an interview, he was to say about his father, " My father passed away when I was 9 years old. My mother used to narrate many tales about my father which used to make me very happy. My father was regarded to be highly knowledgeable in music by many people. I still listen to many of the old songs tuned by him. I think that its his enormous knowledge of music that has come down to me by the grace of God".

When asked what prompted him to convert to Islam, he says "I remember my father suffering. He was taken to eight to nine hospitals, including the CMC hospital in Vellore and the Vijaya hospital in Madras. I saw him suffering physical pain... I remember the Christian priests who would read from the Bible beside his hospital bed... I remember the pujas and the yagnas performed by the pundits... by the time, the Muslim pirs came , it was too late. He had already left us. After my father passed away, for some years when I was a teenager I believed there was no God. But there was a feeling of restlessness within me. I realised that there can be no life without a force governing us... without one God. And I found what I was looking for in Islam. I would go with my mother to durgahs. And pirsaab Karim Mullashah Qadri would advise us. When we shifted to this house, we resolved to stick to the faith."

Rahman became a very religious and devout Muslim. After this period his career graph began to take the upward path. More and more advertising offers came his way. In 1989 Rahman was very intent on having an own studio so that he would have dedicated recording facilities where he could not only equip himself with the latest infrastucture but also experiment with music at his convenience. At this time, the Pir came to his house and blessed him saying that he would attain unparalled success. The very next day the Pir passed away. Thus Rahman decided to establish his studio at the very spot where he had been blessed by the Pir. He called his studio Panchathan Record Inn and it was attached to his house in Kodambakkam. Even today, the first thing that you notice when you enter his studio is a framed photograph of the Pir. The studio abounds with Islamic inscriptions. This studio would later develop into one of India's most well equipped and advanced recording studios. In his established state-of-the-art sound and recording studio he began experimenting in sound engineering, design and production. He also began a collection of sound samples, creating one of the most comprehensive sonic libraries in Asia.

http://members.tripod.com/gopalhome/arrbio.html

Story of Will smith accepting Islam
    http://www.milligazette.com/Archives/01122001/04.htm

Victory for Islam Brother_Daniel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades
    Story of Will smith accepting Islam
    http://www.milligazette.com/Archives/01122001/04.htm
    The story of Will Smith becoming Muslim is a hoax from what I understand. And if he is a Muslim then he is a big time munafiq.

Here is an interesting one:

Midland Nazi turns to Islam

By Amardeep Bassey, Sunday Mercury

A "Satanic Fuhrer" who urged neo-Nazis to fight a race war has turned full circle to become an Islamic fundamentalist.

Midland-based David Myatt, 51, was the political guru behind white supremacist group Combat 18 and has been the leading hardline Nazi intellectual in Britain since the 1960s.

Now the self-confessed Pagan and Adolf Hitler worshipper hails al Qaida leader Osama bin Laden as his inspiration and praises the World Trade Center attacks as acts of heroism.

Writing under various pseudo-nyms, including his Islamic name Abdul Aziz, the thrice-married Physics graduate has posted messages on Islamic religious websites supporting suicide missions and urging young Muslims to take up Jihad.

He is also believed to be the author of several anti-semitic and anti-West articles entitled 'The Crusader War Against Islam and The Zionist Quest for World Domination', written under the name Abdul Aziz ibn Myatt.

It is a far cry from his previous literary works which included the 1997 fascist terrorist handbook 'The Practical Guide to Aryan Revolution'. The book inspired Brixton nail-bomber David Copeland, who is now serving six life sentences.

According to anti-fascist magazine Searchlight, Myatt was also the Grand Master of a secret occult sect called the Order of the Nine Angels, which was alleged to have practised human sacrifice.

But a Sunday Mercury investigation suggests that his sudden conversion to Islam three years ago may be just a political ploy to advance his own failing anti-establishment agenda.

We discovered that Myatt uses various online identities to simultaneously post supportive messages on right-wing nationalist websites, while calling for the creation of a global Islamic superstate on Islamic religious internet sites.

On one site, Aryan Nation, he attempts to reconcile the differences between both extremes under the title Islamic Liaison Group dating his messages with his trademark yf (Year of the Fuhrer).

On another he argues that Muslims and Aryans share the same common enemy in the Jewish nation and western capitalism, supporting his diatribe with claims that more than 60,000 Muslims joined Hitler's SS in the Second World War.

He also continues to publish newsletters for his own German Nazi-modelled National Socialist Movement (NSM) which counted Copeland as a branch organiser and advocated terrorist insurrection to spark a race war.

On Islamic internet discussion sites he likens the American attacks on Afghanistan and Iraq to the Allied occupation of Hitler's Nazi Germany.

One Muslim internet user told the Sunday Mercury that Myatt, who has an IQ of 187, had convinced other users he was an Islamic scholar with his eloquent arguments backed with Koranic verses.

He said: "After September 11 Abdul Aziz's messages started to become more extreme.

"But because he wrote with authority, many less-knowledgeable Muslims thought he was a holy man and began supporting his fundamentalist views.

"When his true identity was revealed by other users on the site, he changed his online name to Abdul bin Aziz and then al Haqq.

"Other e-mail addresses he used included sheikh@al-qaeda.com.

"He was a very popular and controversial figure until he was unmasked late last year, after which people became much more wary about what he was writing and his messages dried up."

Gerry Gable, from anti-fascist magazine Searchlight, said: "Myatt is an ethereal character who has used numerous aliases to post messages on extremist websites.

"He is a dangerous man who has twice been jailed for his violent right-wing activities and who openly asked for blood to be spilled in the quest for white Aryan domination.

"We believe that despite his claims to be a devout Muslim he remains a deeply intellectual subversive and is still one of the most hardline Nazi intellectuals in Britain today.

"Myatt believes in the disruption of existing societies as a prelude to the creation of a new more warrior-like Aryan society which he calls the Galactic Empire.

"Now he has has simply jumped on the Islamic extremist bandwagon to further his own wish of a society divided on ethnic lines.

"He believes they have common enemies but it is his disillusionment with the ineptitude of the Nazi movement that has led to this most unholy of alliances."

Michael Whine, Chairman of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, added: "Myatt has a long history of involvement with Nazi activity and anti-semitism.

"The fact that he has converted to Islam and allied himself with its extremist fringe is in line with the opportunist politics that have seen him dabble in Buddhism and Chinese Taoism in the past.

"I would advise all Muslims to have nothing to do with this man."

But one hardline Islamic group has defended Myatt and welcomed him with open arms.

Sheikh Omar Bakri, leader of the extremist Al Muhajiroun organisation, said: "When you become a Muslim you start afresh with a clean slate so it does not matter what views he held before.

"I am very keen to meet up with him as we both share a lot in common and I am sure he can help the Islamic cause."

Myatt was last night unavailable for comment, having moved from his Leigh Sinton home in Worcestershire some years ago.

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/...80&method=full

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Daniel

Here is an interesting one:

Midland Nazi turns to Islam

By Amardeep Bassey, Sunday Mercury

A "Satanic Fuhrer" who urged neo-Nazis to fight a race war has turned full circle to become an Islamic fundamentalist.

Midland-based David Myatt, 51, was the political guru behind white supremacist group Combat 18 and has been the leading hardline Nazi intellectual in Britain since the 1960s.

Now the self-confessed Pagan and Adolf Hitler worshipper hails al Qaida leader Osama bin Laden as his inspiration and praises the World Trade Center attacks as acts of heroism.
    David Myatt (Abdul-Aziz) Islam conversion web-site is at:-

http://website.lineone.net/~davidmyatt/

http://website.lineone.net/~davidmya...rsionsite.html

Many interesting articles, Alhamdulillah!
    Last edited by abdus_sabour; 18-07-04 at 03:41 PM.

i know for a fact one of the lady singers from boney m is also a sister .she talked at our local hall 15 years ago.yvonne ridley also

Famous converts to Islaam within the English Premiership:

• Nicolas Bilal Anelka, Manchester City
    • Frederic Omar Kanoute, Tottenham Hotspur
    • Pascal Cygan, Arsenal
    Another famous convert to Islaam in European football is the highly talented Russian goalkeeper Ruslan Nigmatullin, who converted while he was 16 years old. From the BBC website:
    Nigmatullin impressed during the recent friendly with world champions France when he pulled off several fine saves to hold Les Bleus to a goalless draw. He looks to have become coach Oleg Romantsev's undisputed number one and played in every World Cup qualifier.

Has a huge frame and is an imposing figure at one-on-ones.

Earns his crust in Serie A with Verona and was Russian Player of the Year for 2001.

(Maryam Jameelah, a well-known convert from Judaism to Islam wrote an open letter to her parents)

Dear Mother and Father,

I have now been living in Pakistan for more than twenty years during which time you have acquired an entire additional family of loved-ones there, adding much to your happiness. You have reached a ripe age, thank God, living longer in good health than I had ever expected. You have read all my books and Islamic literature I have sent you with a broad and open mind. Therefore you need no introduction to the subject I wish to discuss with you now and nothing I have to say will seem strange and new to you.

I wonder if you realize fully how very fortunate you are. So long as you can keep in reasonable health and are able to take care of yourselves, you can continue to enjoy a pleasant life. But do you ever think of the tragic faith of those hundreds of thousands of other older Americans, the victims of chronic illness and infirmities, who crowd to over-flowing hospitals and nursing homes (which are really charnel houses), the old-age homes and the senile wards of mental institutions? And do you ever think of those still greater numbers of older people who are widowed and live their lonely lives confined to their dingy rooms in constant fear of muggings, physical attacks and robberies by juvenile delinquents who prey on the old and infirm with no remorse or fear of punishment? The maltreatment of older people is a direct result of the collapse of the home and extended family. Does your elder sister - my aunt Rosalyn, a great-grandmother lovingly sheltered in a close and adoring family and a happy home, ever think how lucky she is and how few of her advanced age in America are left like her?

You must know that society in which you were brought up and have lived all your life is in a state of rapid disintegration on the brink of collapse. Actually the decline in our civilization was evident as far back as World War I but at that time few people except some intellectuals and artists were aware of what was happening. But since the end of World War II and especially during the last two decades, the rot has reached such a stage of advanced decay that nobody can any longer ignore it.

The moral anarchy in the absence of any respected, fixed standards of behavior and conduct, the obsession with perverted sex over the entertainment media, the mistreatment of older people, the divorce rate which has climbed so high that among the new generation, an enduring, happy marriage is becoming rare, child abuse, the destruction of the natural environment, the prodigious waste of scarce and valuable resources, the epidemic of veneral diseases and mental disorders, drug addiction, alcoholism, suicides as leading cause of death, crime, vandalism, corruption in the government and contempt for the law in general - all of this has a cause.

The cause of this is the failure of secularism and materialism and the absence of absolute, transcendental theological and moral values. Deed does in the final analysis depend upon creed because if the intention is wrong, the work always suffers.

No doubt that it may bore you to read this. You will protest that if you are not theologians, philosophers or sociologists, then why bother about such "deep" matters when they do not seem to be of any direct concern to you? After all, you are happy and content living just as you are. You only wish to enjoy life right now, live entirely in the present and accept each day as it comes. If life is a journey, is it not foolhardy only to be concerned with pleasant and comfortable accommodations along the way and never to think about the journey's end? Why were we born? What is the meaning and purpose of life, why must we die and what will happen to each of us after death?

Father you have told me more than once that you cannot accept any traditional religion because you are convinced that theology conflicts with modern science. Science and technology have indeed given us much information about the physical world, provided us with abundant comforts and conveniences, increased efficiency and discovered remedies for many diseases that used to be fatal. But science does not and cannot tell us about the meaning of life and death. Science tells us "how" but it never answers the question "why"?. Can science ever tell us what is right and what is wrong? What is good and what is evil? What is beautiful and what is ugly? And to whom are we accountable for what we do? Religion does.

Today America is in many ways a repetition of ancient Rome in the terminal stages of her decline and fall. Thinking people know that secularism has failed to be a sound foundation of our social order. They are anxiously searching in other directions for a solution to the crisis but do not know yet where to find it. This is not of concern only to a few sociologists. The disease of national disintegration directly affects you and me and each one of us.

During its most critical period, ancient Rome adopted Christianity as its salvation and henceforth the Church dominated Europe for more than a thousand years. This put an end to many of the worst social and moral evils of decadent Rome and greatly raised the moral and spiritual standards of the people. Unfortunately during the formative period of its history, the Church compromised with paganism and secularism, adopting an elaborate priesthood and incomprehensive theology which could not resist the impact of the renaissance, the revival of the natural sciences and the radical secularism of the French Revolution. While Christians in Europe and America have deserted their faith wholesale leaving the churches almost empty, the missionaries continue to represent the vanguard of western imperialism and exploitation in Asia and Africa.

After Christianity, the Jews comprise the second largest religious group in America who dominate politically, and economically, as well exercising considerable control over the media. But Judaism has always been parochial and tribal, seldom welcoming converts. It is not and has never been a universal faith. The Zionist movement which resulted in the establishment of the state of Israel, is the secular expression of Jewish nationalism and tribalism. The dreadful atrocities committed by the Israelis in occupied Palestine, the unprovoked aggression in Lebanon and adjacent areas and attempted genocide of the Palestine Arabs, depriving them of all human and political rights, is the logical result of this same narrow parochial outlook. This is the reason why even the most orthodox of the rabbis refuse to believe that Israel can do any wrong and uncritically support everything she does. These glaring moral and spiritual defects automatically disqualify Judaism as the faith of the future.

The Muslims comprise the third and fastest growing faith in America today. No longer is Islam confined to remote regions of the deserts and jungles of Asia and Africa. No longer is Islam foreign to the American scene. There are more than three million Muslims in America today and their numbers are increasing fast. There are thousands of students from all Muslim countries studying in American universities, and well-educated, highly-trained Muslims are busily at work in all professions. In the last two decades, hundreds of native-born American converts have swelled their ranks. At first most of the converts were black people who found in Islam, dignity, honor, self-respect and racial brotherhood as did Malcolm-X, but in recent years more and more white converts of European origin, searching for guidance in all the affairs of their formally chaotic lives, have also embraced Islam, making many sacrifices and enduring much hardships to do so. Few of them are fortunate as I am to have loving parent like you. Most of them suffer severe frictions with their non-Muslim parents and relatives. Today churches and synagogues are almost deserted but the newly-built mosques and Islamic centers, springing up in every important American city and town, are attracting rapidly growing numbers. Most of the new Muslims in America are young, intelligent and well-educated. What attracts so many young Americans to Islam?

Americans today, both young and old, are desperately searching for guidance. They know from bitter experience that the personal freedom and opportunities they as Americans enjoy are meaningless and self-destructive without reliable guidance, direction and purpose. Secularism and materialism are powerless to provide any positive or constructive moral values for Americans either individually or collectively. That is why after Christianity and Judaism have failed them, more and more people in America today are turning towards Islam. In Islam as new Muslims, they find a sane, healthy, clean and honest life. And for Muslims, everything does not come to an end at death. They look forward to an Eternity of bliss, peace and perfect happiness (in the Hereafter).

This Guidance found in the Holy Qur'an and the recorded words and deeds of the Holy Prophet Muhammad, upon whom be peace, is not only for foreign races in some far-away corner of the East, centuries ago. Here are to be found the solutions to all economic, social, moral and political problems which face us right here in the West today. Furthermore, Islam is not cold, remote and impersonal. Muslims have complete faith in a very personal God who not only created, sustains and rules the universe but also loves and deeply cares about the fate of each of us. The Holy Qur'an tells us that God is nearer to everyone of us than our jugular veins!

Since the Holy Qur'an is divine revelation, it cannot and will never be changed. Because it is perfect, it cannot be improved, revised or reformed. Since Muhammad, upon whom be peace, is the final Prophet, his guidance can never be superseded by any other. The Qur'an and Sunnah are addressed to all peoples, in every country of the West as well as the East. Since it is relevant for all times, in all places, it can never become obsolete or out-of-date.

You are both of very advanced age and there is so little time left. Yet it is not too late if you act now. If your decision is positive, your ties with your loved ones in Pakistan will not only be by blood but also in faith. You cannot only love them in this world but be all together with us forever in eternity.

If your decision is negative, I am very much afraid that your happy, comfortable and pleasant life will very shortly come to an end. As soon as the inevitable occurs, it is too late for remorse and regrets. The punishment will be terrible from which there is no refuge and no escape.

It is as your daughter who loves you and hopes to the end that you will be spared this fate. But the decision rests entirely with you. You have complete freedom to accept or reject: Your future depends upon the choice you make now.

All my love and best wishes.

Your devoted daughter,
    Maryam Jameelah.

(Courtesy: The Universal Message). Also see Iqra: The Islamic Journal, Nairobi, Rabi-ul-Awwal 1407, November 1986, p35-37.

correct me if im wrong , but jemima goldmsmith after her divorce from imran khan has been seeing the british actor hugh grant , so are they in a serious relationship , is she going out of islam , is she trying to bring him into islam , which one of the three is true , if indeed they are seeing each other ?

The rumours surfaced after I started this thread. In any way, we should not be like the Media, which constantly start un-justified rumours based on nothing but hearsay. Sister Haiqa has not commented much on the rumour, and therefore I cannot be sure to say whether she is indeed helping Hugh Grant learn more about Islaam or not.

Only Allah, the Most Kind, knows best.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaxerian
    ...Only Allah, the Most Kind, knows best.
    Ameen.

And I somehow doubt that Allah (swt) places much significance on whether a revert comes from a lifestyle deemed as "famous" while on this Earth or is just one of the many who come joyfully from the everyday life that most of us have been blessed with.

Indeed. Very well said, ukhtee.

I wish that I could name all of the converts of the World, find their address, and embrace them all. By Allah, they have passed such hurdles and such obstacles to find the faith perfected by our Creator, our Master, our Lord - the Most Compassionate, Allah, Glorified and Exalted be He. They are the future of our Ummah.

Account Enabled
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaxerian
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Acknowledged by many players and pundits as the greatest basketball player of all time, voted six times the National Basketball Association's most valuable player, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is also one of the most visible Muslims in the American public arena.

The 7' 2" native upper Harlem, born Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, starred for UCLA before entering the National Basketball Association with the Milwaukee Bucks in 1969. Alcindor later went to the Los Angeles Lakers. He was so dominant in college basketball that "dunking," at which he excelled, was formally banned from the intercollegiate sport. As a result, Lew Alcindor developed the shot for which he is personally the most famous- the"skyhook"- which has been called the shot that changed basketball, and with the help of which he was to score more than thirty eight thousand points in regular-season NBA play.
    Too bad he could not have converted to a better personality when he converted. He has got to be one of the most boorish people of all time. Just as a personal example: I worked at the Los Angleles Forum (actually in inglewood) for pretty much the whole time he was in LA. When Kareem would come into the forum he would have to pass by the guard gate. Not once in 20 years did he ever acknowledge the guard with either a hello or even a look or a smile. 4 x's a day (in and out for the practice and then for the real game) you think you would have at least acknowledge someone who you walk within 2 feet everyday. There were both black and white guards and at least he did not discriminate his boorishness. And now that I am thinking about it, I also remember the time when Schick razors was doing a promotion by giving away a shaving kit with i think deodorant and razor blades. They were stacked in the office and he had everyone take out the razors out of the bag so that he could have them for himself, instead of giving them away to the paying customers as they were supposed to do. Imagine a multi millionare taking 3 hours out of his day to snake about 500 razor blades.

On a better side though was Ali. I met him on several occasions and he was a class act away from the cameras too! Even when he was full on into his palsy he was a very nice and gracious person.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah al-Muhajir
    Famous converts to Islaam within the English Premiership:

• Nicolas Bilal Anelka, Manchester City
    • Frederic Omar Kanoute, Tottenham Hotspur
    • Pascal Cygan, Arsenal
    [/size]
    What about Didier domi who plays for Leeds?
    Ronnie O sulliven -- snooker
    and Danny Williams -- Boxing.
    Anyone got any info on them?

Assalamu alaikum everyone.
    what about Michael Jackson., i heard that he converted as well. He is living in Barhain.
    I do not know maybe its just a gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by swan
    Lol I remember watching him on tv and he said he loves to drink wine.
    Ghurabaa’ wa li ghairillaahi laa nahnil jibaa
    Ghurabaa’ do not bow the foreheads to anyone besides Allah