Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2753 Post(s)

How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

The Prophet said:

It will be said to the companion of the Qur’aan: Recite and rise in status, recite as you used to recite in the world, for your status will be at the last verse that you recite.

This tradition has been recorded in both Tirmidi Shareef and Sunan Abi Dawood and has been classified as Sahih (authentic) by the late Muhaddith (Scholar of Hadith) Sheikh Al-albani.

The word Companion in this Hadith has been understood to mean a person who has memorized the Quran. As is evident by the following words of the Hadith "Recite and rise in status" that with each memorized Verse which a person recites, he will rise a rank in Paradise.

The Quran has more than 6000 Verses. Imagine how many ranks a person who has memorized the Quran will rise in Paradise. Not only this. Such a person will be in the company if the noble Angels as the Prophet has mentioned in the following authentic Tradition:

The likeness of the one who reads Qur’aan and memorizes it is that he is with the righteous honorable scribes. The likeness of the one who reads it and tries hard to memorize it even though it is difficult for him, he will have two rewards.

Additionally, just consider for a moment the joy of knowing that one has the Words of God, the all powerful and Supreme Ruler of all that exists, in his heart. The Words of a Being the likeness of whom does not exist. Truly, it is a feeling that cannot be described in words.
    Of course, Memorizing the Quran appears to be a daunting task. This is especially true if you do not know how to go about Memorizing such a large Book.

My story

It took me 10 years to Memorize the Quran. This was because of lack of knowledge of proper memorizing technique. I used the technique used in Islamic Madrassas. Unfortunately, this technique did not suit a person like me who had horrible memory.

God has blessed me with a strong short term memory but my long term memory is the worst on the planet. After having memorized 20 Juz I fell ill due to a mental illness. After I recovered I had pretty much given up all hope of memorizing the Quran. However, God had ordained that I memorize it so I ended up doing so.

Nevertheless, after I memorized it I was faced with the problem of transferring what I had learned into my long term memory. It was then that God guided me to a technique which has been known to cognitive psychologists for a long time. A technique I used and am still using to transfer what I have memories into my long term memory and it has worked wonders.

Spaced Repetition

Spaced Repetition is a technique in which a person practices recalling what he has memorized at intervals of increasing time. Dong so transfers what one has memorized into long term memory. For those interested in reading about this phenomenon in detail I would recommend the following website.

Spaced Repetition Details

For those who do not have the time to understand this phenomenon just remember this. If you want to transfer information into long term you need to recall the information just when you are about to forget it. After each time you recall it the next interval required for recall the information in order to prevent forgetfulness increases. Eventually, a time comes when you only have to recall what you have memorized once a year!

At this point you are probably wondering how does one know when one is about to forget what he or she has memorized. Well, this is based on a formula which was devised by a Polish scientist after extensive research and experimentation. The formula is implemented by free software such as Anki. You can use this software to schedule when to remind you to recall what you have memorized from the Quran.

My Experience

Prior to using spaced repetition, it would take me fifteen to twenty minutes to review a page I had memorized. However, with the help of spaced repetition I was able to review a page within 3 to 5 minutes and a complete Juz within one to one and a half hour! And this was for a guy like me who has horrible memory. And the best part is that I felt no tension while reviewing.

Memorizing the Quran had become so easy!

This technique is often used by people who learn languages and need to memorize large lists of vocabulary. Psychologists are shocked that schools do not implement spaced repetition to teach information. They say not using this system despite the research which supports its effectiveness is like a person who has weak eyesight but refuses to wear glasses despite knowing that glasses can help him see properly!

Anki

Anki is a free program which you can use to memorize the Quran. It implements spaced repetition. It is available for free for both computers and android devices. Install it on your android phone and revise the Quran whenever you have free time anywhere!

Using Anki is simple. Once you have downloaded the software you just need to create flashcards for what you have memorized. How I do this is that I put a page of the Quran I have memorized into the Back of the Card and the page before that into the Front of the card. Then I enter the phrase "Recite the page which follows" in the Front of the card. Whenever, it is time to review the page, the program shows me the Front of the card and I see the "Review Next Page" command and I try to recall what I have memorized.

An Alternative Method

If you find using software difficult then you can implement spaced repletion manually for what you have memorized. Simply follow this formula. Whenever you memorize a portion of the Quran, review it 1 day after you have memorized it. Then review it after 3 days.

After that take the last interval which in this case is 3 days, divide it by 2, round it up, and then add the result to the previous interval to get the next interval. So in this case the next interval would be 5 days since 3 divided by 2 is 1.5. Round it up and you get 2. Add that to 3 and you get 5.

When you revise on the 5th day then to get the next interval divide 5 by 2 and you get 2.5. Round it up and you get 3. Add that to 5 and you have 8 days which is the next interval.

After eight days to get the next interval divide 8 by 2 and you get 4. Add 4 to 8 and you get 12 days which is the next interval.

Using this method you will Insha Allah never forget the Quran and you will feel no pressure when reviewing.

Note: In case you cannot completely recall what you have memorized don't hesitate to look at what you have missed. With time whatever you have memorized will become a part of long term memory and you will not forget anything!

For detailed instructions on how to use Anki here is the manual for the program
    . There are also other programs you can use for spaced repetition but I found this one to be the best. If you have any questions on how to use the program or spaced repetition simply ask in this thread and I will tyr to answer them!
    Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 06-07-14 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

*Bump*

Asalamualaykum,

Any updates?! Wondering how everyone is doing using Anki.... ?

I'm still in the beginning stages, have only about 20 pages in so far. Adding a page/2 pages a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Walykumussalaam,

Ok here's my situation. I just have 1 card left to add... And the cards which contained 20 juz of my Quran memorized earlier have become very good... as i can now read them with a gap of 8 days without having to revise once.. ( i used gaps of 1day,3d,5d or 6d, 8d and 12d)

My plan is to now put those 20 juz in a daily revision cycle of 2 juz so they will repeat every 10 days.

As for my 10 juz which were memorized towards the end of my hifz. They were good till 3days but once i gave 6 days gap they have become kinda weak (still better than before using spaced repitition). so I plan to readd these 10 juz in my schedule starting from tomorrow and using gaps of 1d,3d,5d,8d,12d. Once done

I plan to revise 3 juz daily not in sequence but instead like this :- day 1- Juz 1,11,21 day 2 - Juz 2,12,22 and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by YasinArshad View Post
    *Bump*

Asalamualaykum,

Any updates?! Wondering how everyone is doing using Anki.... ?

I'm still in the beginning stages, have only about 20 pages in so far. Adding a page/2 pages a day.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)

Jazakallah for this software.

It is very confusing reading it like this without installing the software. As soon as I get on PC I will install it.
    الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

......................... arif123f's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)

This thread should be sticky.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)

Agree.

So anybody who has learned from a 13 line Quran can do this too? Because if you can't, then there is a problem. I have only learned from the 13 line Quran and I can't review on a 16 one.

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2753 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kas1m View Post
    Agree.

So anybody who has learned from a 13 line Quran can do this too? Because if you can't, then there is a problem. I have only learned from the 13 line Quran and I can't review on a 16 one.
    You can do this regardless of which Quran you have memorized from.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)

OK I installed it and now I can upload images too and make a deck but still it is very confusing.

So at the moment the situation is I am working on juzz 7 and 8 only and the first half of 8 I know very well but still I revise it everyday. I wanna start juzz 7 which I know just ok but I wanna memorize it four pages a day (or two rukoos a day).

So do I make one card of four pages? and so on make a whole deck of juzz 7?

About juzz 8, first half I know brilliantly so can I make one card of whole first half and revise it like every second or third day? Does it work like that?

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2753 Post(s)

So at the moment the situation is I am working on juzz 7 and 8 only and the first half of 8 I know very well but still I revise it everyday. I wanna start juzz 7 which I know just ok but I wanna memorize it four pages a day (or two rukoos a day).

So do I make one card of four pages? and so on make a whole deck of juzz 7?
    Yes you can do it that way. You can make a card of the Rub' that you memorize.

About juzz 8, first half I know brilliantly so can I make one card of whole first half and revise it like every second or third day? Does it work like that?
    Yes you could make a card of the first half but the program will not make you revise every second or third day. Instead, it will first get you to revise after 3 days and then keep increasing the interval. That is why its called spaced repetition. It keeps increasing the interval periods because every time you review something it becomes stronger in your memory and now you can recall it after a period which is longer than the last.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)

Jazakallah. I've created a deck in which there is a card named Juzz 8 first half which is due today. I will review it tonight and click easy which it will make me review the 4th day.

I don't understand the 'again 1 minute' bit though. For example I'm learned a new page and I have to keep repeating it over and over again. So shall I keep hitting 'again' over and over until it is 'good' then when i hit 'good' it makes me repeat it one more time then the time goes to '1 day'.

That is the correct way right? Cuz I might take two to three days learning a new page.

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2753 Post(s)

Jazakallah. I've created a deck in which there is a card named Juzz 8 first half which is due today. I will review it tonight and click easy which it will make me review the 4th day.

I don't understand the 'again 1 minute' bit though. For example I'm learned a new page and I have to keep repeating it over and over again. So shall I keep hitting 'again' over and over until it is 'good' then when i hit 'good' it makes me repeat it one more time then the time goes to '1 day'.

That is the correct way right? Cuz I might take two to three days learning a new page.
    Oh yeah that is the learning timer which you need to set in minutes. Click on a deck. Then click on options and you will see a tab about learning. Click that and you will see the seconds you can set for learning. The learning is if you are actually learning something with the program. Otherwise just set it to 0 or 1440 for one day if you want to review what you have memorized after one day. After the learning seconds elapse then the program actually puts the deck into the days mentioned on good which is either 3 or 6 depending on your settings.

If you actually want to use the learning for the new pages you put in then I would suggest the following timings for the learning 10 minutes, 300 minutes (5 hours) and 1440 minutes for one day. That way you revise the page after 10 minutes then 5 hours and then 1 day.

Also remember to change the settings for "ignore after so many seconds" setting in the options. I have explained this above. If it s not clear let me know and I'll try to put up pictures for a better explanation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

جزاك الله خيراً

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)

It is going great. Alhamdulillah.

I have noticed that if you keep repeating too much then it just sits in your short memory thus it will disappear more quickly. Whereas by spaced repetition you can recall it more quickly and it is solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Assalaamualeikum,

I would like to genuinely thank brother Zeeshan for posting this thread immensely and pray that Allah swt makes this guide his entry into Jannatul firdaus. I have personally benefitted immensely after putting the entire Quran in the Spaced repitition cycle of 1,3,5,8 days.
    Last edited by nidaelahi; 08-02-14 at 03:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Did anyone make a Madani Quran card deck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Asslam o alikum.
    Masha Allah
    I am interested in doing this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

I am interested in using the Spaced Repetition method for memorizing the Qur'aan. As of present time, I have memorized the last 10 Juz (21-30). Let's say that I would only like to revise for now, should I make a deck for each Juz, and add cards equaling 1/2 Juz each day? So say I use Juz 21 as an example. The first day I would add the first 1/2 Juz, and then the next day add the second 1/2 Juz. So now that deck has 2 cards. Then, the next day I add another deck for Juz 22, and repeat the same process as before until I get to the end of the Qur'aan. Would that be fine?

I have used this article in helping me setting up Anki. Is the article fine?

http://www.wikihow.com/Memorize-Qura...-Anki-Software

The settings derived from the post are:

• Starting Ease = 180%
    • Steps = 60 500
    • Ignore answers longer than 1 000 seconds
    • Leech action = Tag Only

Jazaak Allaah for all the help, and Ma shaa Allaah keep up this AMAZING effort you are putting towards the Deen as a whole.

Assalaamu 'alaikum

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2753 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AashirKhan View Post
    Assalaamu 'alaikum,

I am interested in using the Spaced Repetition method for memorizing the Qur'aan. As of present time, I have memorized the last 10 Juz (21-30). Let's say that I would only like to revise for now, should I make a deck for each Juz, and add cards equaling 1/2 Juz each day? So say I use Juz 21 as an example. The first day I would add the first 1/2 Juz, and then the next day add the second 1/2 Juz. So now that deck has 2 cards. Then, the next day I add another deck for Juz 22, and repeat the same process as before until I get to the end of the Qur'aan. Would that be fine?

I have used this article in helping me setting up Anki. Is the article fine?

http://www.wikihow.com/Memorize-Qura...-Anki-Software

The settings derived from the post are:

• Starting Ease = 180%
    • Steps = 60 500
    • Ignore answers longer than 1 000 seconds
    • Leech action = Tag Only

Jazaak Allaah for all the help, and Ma shaa Allaah keep up this AMAZING effort you are putting towards the Deen as a whole.

Assalaamu 'alaikum
    First, adding 1/2 a Juz might be too much. You would have to try and see if it suits you.

You could try adding pages individually of the 10 Juz you memorized. That way you won't feel burdened when trying to Revise. If your Quran is 16 lines, then adding it page wise would mean you would have 9 cards - one for each page - for 1/2 a Juz.

Yes, that article is fine. I wrote it. I suggest an easy factor of 180%. However, if your memory is better than you could stick with 250%.

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2753 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kamran12 View Post
    Asslam o alikum.
    Masha Allah
    I am interested in doing this.
    Then you should begin by downloading Anki from here.

You can read the article I posted on Wiki titled How to Memorize Qur'aan Easily and Fast - which was renamed later by another member - to learn how to get Anki to work.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1971 Post(s)

:

bump
    Bandon say dil naa lagao sirf Allah say lagao.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)

:

It seems that the brother has his own website now:
    http://howtomemorizequran.com/

Also if someone is struggling to find Quran pages in png or jpg format you can download them from here:
    http://www.deencast.com/quran/index.html

to be more spesific:
    http://www.deencast.com/quran/original/

May Allah reward you brother
    Last edited by Akhdar; 28-07-14 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Is it possible for me to memorize Quran online within two years if I adobe your procedure that you have describe in this threat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Salam,

I also downloaded the Anki and imported the readymade Deck of 80% words of Quran. But I faced the little problem here that The
    Anki is not scheduling the cards in correct order.

As i started to read the words today from 02-Oct-2014 and studied 20 cards consistently as per by default limit of software and as the program
    is supposed to review these all cards after 4 days i.e.06-Oct-2014 which i selected form answer button.

But it is making the Due date in different dates to each card.

Any body Please check and suggest me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B76...ew?usp=sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Highly waiting for reply.
    Last edited by muhammad Siraj; 03-11-14 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mr. Zeeshan and all need your expert reply.
    Last edited by muhammad Siraj; 06-11-14 at 07:26 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

Interesting thread. I need to read up more on Spaced Repetition. for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

The Quran Courses Online Acadmy https://www.thequrancourses.com .
    Qualified tutors, One to one lessons via Skype, lowest fee, 2 Classes free trial, no advance fee, payments via PayPal, Visa or Master Card.

Email: [email protected]
    Phone: +447498997371
    WhatsApp: +201223907739

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1780 Post(s)

Assalamualaykum, can anyone please elaborate on the spaced interval method? Should you start the spaced review after strong memorization or just when it's barely there in your memory?
    Shukran.

@ZeeshanParvez
    Last edited by budi.sudaryo; 31-07-17 at 10:44 AM.
    I'm on a strict time management regiment and have to limit my time online. Therefore I have to reply selectively. Please don't be offended if I ignore your questions.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quoted
    957 Post(s)

quran memorization tips

sorry I don't have any but I hope others can share helpful tips. whether its for improving memory, motivation or attention span any thing will probably be of some use to someone.
    Allah sent down his tranquillity upon him and supported him with angels you did not see and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowest, while the word of Allah - that is the highest. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3713 Post(s)

Re: quran memorization tips

We have a long hifdh experience thread which is full of tips and advice.

Don't keep changing teachers although having more than one teacher has it's benefits. Don't spend so much time checking the recitation of others and helping others when you should be putting that time towards your own hifdh.
    Make sure your teacher is someone you respect and make sure you give them the respect they deserve.

As for practical things
    repetition is the only way it's going to stay, keep it simple...keep repeating until you have memorised that portion for the day, how you repeat is up to you
    review in night prayers and get into the habit of praying it regularly because it is not right for someone who has memorized the quran to not pray something at night
    Have high aims and clear intentions on why you are doing this
    شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
    فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
    وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
    ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quoted
    957 Post(s)

^saw it. there are good tips in it but it would be nice to hear individual's methods and how they overcame barriers a lot face when learning

I think common problems are not having the mental stamina to sit somewhere and read for an hour or finding the time to do it. I often make a million excuses in my head once I sit down and find it hard to put the thoughts off. In the morning its you're tired wait til later, and later its too distracting with everything bustling wait til night when its calm, at night its go to sleep and do it when you feel fresh in the morning
    Allah sent down his tranquillity upon him and supported him with angels you did not see and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowest, while the word of Allah - that is the highest. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3713 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hadmatter View Post
    ^saw it. there are good tips in it but it would be nice to hear individual's methods and how they overcame barriers a lot face when learning

I think common problems are not having the mental stamina to sit somewhere and read for an hour or finding the time to do it. I often make a million excuses in my head once I sit down and find it hard to put the thoughts off. In the morning its you're tired wait til later, and later its too distracting with everything bustling wait til night when its calm, at night its go to sleep and do it when you feel fresh in the morning
    That's where a teacher becomes very useful especially one who you know will not shy away from being stern with you if you don't do your portion for that day
    ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3713 Post(s)

ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

1of the volatile beings myeverything's Avatar
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1558 Post(s)

@hadmatter I believe we should Live with the Qur'an and the memorization will follow afterwards insha'Allah. We need to build a very special unique "Love/ hope/ fear relationship" with our Creator through his words ( Qur'an).

Personally, I'd recommend the following:

1- Recite the Surah if it's short or divide it into parts if it's long ( let's say on page at a time or it could be half page according to your capacity and time). Sahaba used to do 10 verses at a time only.

2-Use mind-maps
    There 're mind maps for every Surah of the Qur'an ( I have them in Arabic) but I'm sure u can find them in the English language as well ( google it). The goal of these mind-maps is to allow one to visualise the main themes of each chapter in a single page. They make it easy for you to remember the main ideas of each Surah, the topics/ incidents it deals with. Thus, It makes it way easier to memorize.

3- Read the tafseer of these verses or Surah. Because Understanding what we read and the reason or incidents behind it make it fixed in our brains.

4- Repetition.

4- Review in night prayer, as @Rumaysah~ said earlier.

5- Makw dua'a that Allah help u to memorize Qur'an and make it act as intercessor for you.

6- Try your best to Implement Quran in your daily life. Do not make the Qur'an an opponent, i.e., to testify against you.

It's said that it took some companion of Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) long years to memorize one Surah and the Quran was revealed in their own language.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitnah Bolice View Post

This is because the way that the Sahabah would study the Quran is that they would take ten ayaat at a time only. They would study these ten ayaat, study the eemaan, the ilm, the halal and the haram in these ayaat. They would memorize the ayaat and apply its rulings to their lives. They would not move onto the next ten ayaat until they had brought their lives into compliance with the first ten. The Quran thus became alive and second nature to them, its knowledge was not wasted and lost.
    7- You 're going through a lifetime enjoyable journey with the words of Allah. So, don't rush memorization and reaching the end of Surah. Take your time, contemplate slowly and enjoy. ( as if you drinking your favorite coffee you sipping it slowly and enjoying every bit of it's taste ). You know that feeling when u savor something, you enjoy it so much that you want to make it last forever. It should be like that with Qur'an and to Allah and his words ( Qur'an) belongs the utmost example of perfection, of course.

Check this link https://islamqa.info/en/7966

May Allah help us all to memorize Qur'an, work upon it and make it our guide to Paradise
    How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quoted
    957 Post(s)

why merge two completely different topics because they both have a similar subject? I stated mine was for people who have difficulty with attention/boredom not forgetting.

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2753 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by budi.sudaryo View Post
    Assalamualaykum, can anyone please elaborate on the spaced interval method? Should you start the spaced review after strong memorization or just when it's barely there in your memory?
    Shukran.

@ZeeshanParvez
    The method is for those who fail using the traditional method. I could not remember using the traditional method. This method, in contrast, allowed me not only to remember what I memorized but recall from memory without having to review the page beforehand.

It depends on the individual and how he uses it. There was a user on this thread who had problems with 10 Juz. He used the method to strengthen it. Once his memorization was strengthened he incorporated it into his traditional method.

So, it really depends on how you use it.

1of the volatile beings myeverything's Avatar
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1558 Post(s)

@ZeeshanParvez jazzak Allah khair. I get benefit from this thread Alhamdulliah.
    How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i have done 8 parahs [i.e 23rd to 30th] but I do not remember them.
    can you make a plan for me?