Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

The Prophet said:

It will be said to the companion of the Qur’aan: Recite and rise in status, recite as you used to recite in the world, for your status will be at the last verse that you recite.

This tradition has been recorded in both Tirmidi Shareef and Sunan Abi Dawood and has been classified as Sahih (authentic) by the late Muhaddith (Scholar of Hadith) Sheikh Al-albani.

The word Companion in this Hadith has been understood to mean a person who has memorized the Quran. As is evident by the following words of the Hadith "Recite and rise in status" that with each memorized Verse which a person recites, he will rise a rank in Paradise.

The Quran has more than 6000 Verses. Imagine how many ranks a person who has memorized the Quran will rise in Paradise. Not only this. Such a person will be in the company if the noble Angels as the Prophet has mentioned in the following authentic Tradition:

The likeness of the one who reads Qur’aan and memorizes it is that he is with the righteous honorable scribes. The likeness of the one who reads it and tries hard to memorize it even though it is difficult for him, he will have two rewards.

Additionally, just consider for a moment the joy of knowing that one has the Words of God, the all powerful and Supreme Ruler of all that exists, in his heart. The Words of a Being the likeness of whom does not exist. Truly, it is a feeling that cannot be described in words.
    Of course, Memorizing the Quran appears to be a daunting task. This is especially true if you do not know how to go about Memorizing such a large Book.

My story

It took me 10 years to Memorize the Quran. This was because of lack of knowledge of proper memorizing technique. I used the technique used in Islamic Madrassas. Unfortunately, this technique did not suit a person like me who had horrible memory.

God has blessed me with a strong short term memory but my long term memory is the worst on the planet. After having memorized 20 Juz I fell ill due to a mental illness. After I recovered I had pretty much given up all hope of memorizing the Quran. However, God had ordained that I memorize it so I ended up doing so.

Nevertheless, after I memorized it I was faced with the problem of transferring what I had learned into my long term memory. It was then that God guided me to a technique which has been known to cognitive psychologists for a long time. A technique I used and am still using to transfer what I have memories into my long term memory and it has worked wonders.

Spaced Repetition

Spaced Repetition is a technique in which a person practices recalling what he has memorized at intervals of increasing time. Dong so transfers what one has memorized into long term memory. For those interested in reading about this phenomenon in detail I would recommend the following website.

Spaced Repetition Details

For those who do not have the time to understand this phenomenon just remember this. If you want to transfer information into long term you need to recall the information just when you are about to forget it. After each time you recall it the next interval required for recall the information in order to prevent forgetfulness increases. Eventually, a time comes when you only have to recall what you have memorized once a year!

At this point you are probably wondering how does one know when one is about to forget what he or she has memorized. Well, this is based on a formula which was devised by a Polish scientist after extensive research and experimentation. The formula is implemented by free software such as Anki. You can use this software to schedule when to remind you to recall what you have memorized from the Quran.

My Experience

Prior to using spaced repetition, it would take me fifteen to twenty minutes to review a page I had memorized. However, with the help of spaced repetition I was able to review a page within 3 to 5 minutes and a complete Juz within one to one and a half hour! And this was for a guy like me who has horrible memory. And the best part is that I felt no tension while reviewing.

Memorizing the Quran had become so easy!

This technique is often used by people who learn languages and need to memorize large lists of vocabulary. Psychologists are shocked that schools do not implement spaced repetition to teach information. They say not using this system despite the research which supports its effectiveness is like a person who has weak eyesight but refuses to wear glasses despite knowing that glasses can help him see properly!

Anki

Anki is a free program which you can use to memorize the Quran. It implements spaced repetition. It is available for free for both computers and android devices. Install it on your android phone and revise the Quran whenever you have free time anywhere!

Using Anki is simple. Once you have downloaded the software you just need to create flashcards for what you have memorized. How I do this is that I put a page of the Quran I have memorized into the Back of the Card and the page before that into the Front of the card. Then I enter the phrase "Recite the page which follows" in the Front of the card. Whenever, it is time to review the page, the program shows me the Front of the card and I see the "Review Next Page" command and I try to recall what I have memorized.

An Alternative Method

If you find using software difficult then you can implement spaced repletion manually for what you have memorized. Simply follow this formula. Whenever you memorize a portion of the Quran, review it 1 day after you have memorized it. Then review it after 3 days.

After that take the last interval which in this case is 3 days, divide it by 2, round it up, and then add the result to the previous interval to get the next interval. So in this case the next interval would be 5 days since 3 divided by 2 is 1.5. Round it up and you get 2. Add that to 3 and you get 5.

When you revise on the 5th day then to get the next interval divide 5 by 2 and you get 2.5. Round it up and you get 3. Add that to 5 and you have 8 days which is the next interval.

After eight days to get the next interval divide 8 by 2 and you get 4. Add 4 to 8 and you get 12 days which is the next interval.

Using this method you will Insha Allah never forget the Quran and you will feel no pressure when reviewing.

Note: In case you cannot completely recall what you have memorized don't hesitate to look at what you have missed. With time whatever you have memorized will become a part of long term memory and you will not forget anything!

For detailed instructions on how to use Anki here is the manual for the program
    . There are also other programs you can use for spaced repetition but I found this one to be the best. If you have any questions on how to use the program or spaced repetition simply ask in this thread and I will tyr to answer them!
    Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 06-07-14 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

Assalaamualykum,

Brother I just updated my Anki for Hifz review and realised that when i select good for the card due on its the 3rd day it now gives a gap of 6 days and not 5 days like u said.

Have a look at the card "18(1)"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-d...it?usp=sharing

What should i do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Salam

Mash'Ala good thread but you've mentioned reviewing and revising techniques.

What about memorising techniques that worked for you ? The reason why I ask is because I have an absolutely terrible memory.

Any tips for those starting out but struggle with memorisation ?

Jazakumulah

Muslim
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oops wrong thread
    Last edited by neighbour; 10-11-13 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Waleikumussalaam

Mufti Ismail Menk gave me some tips for Hifz :-
    1) Abstain from sins
    2) Remove unnecessary things from your life
    3) Memorize after maghrib so it plays in your mind all night
    4) Sleep well
    5) Eat well

Also I used the following method towards the end of my Hifz and found it very effective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzdU0smUwWI

Quote Originally Posted by Ra'id View Post
    Salam

What about memorising techniques that worked for you ? The reason why I ask is because I have an absolutely terrible memory.

Jazakumulah

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nidaelahi View Post
    Assalaamualykum,

Brother I just updated my Anki for Hifz review and realised that when i select good for the card due on its the 3rd day it now gives a gap of 6 days and not 5 days like u said.

Have a look at the card "18(1)"

What should i do?
    I gave you a very basic breakdown of the formula. The actual formula using a few more parameters when calculating the date so don't worry!

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ra'id View Post
    Salam

Jazakumulah
    When a person beings to memorize he usually faces problems because he tries to memorize all of that which he sees. The secret to short term memorizing is Chunking.

Say you want to the memorize the following

ولقد خلقنا الانسان في كبد

Rather then trying to memorize the whole line break it down into three or maximum four chunks.

So first memorize

ولقد خلقنا الانسان

Once you have it down then go for

في كبد

The science behind this is that research has shown that the brain cannot keep more than 7 digits in working memory at a time. If you memorize an 8th digit the brain will forget the first digit from the previous 7 you memorized.

Hence, chunk everything.

In addition to this, try learning the meanings of the words you memorize. This will greatly help you to remember what you are memorizing.

Also one very important thing is Attention.

Pay close attention to what you are memorizing. Stay focused and do not let your mind wander. In addition to this also make sure that you

1. Get enough sleep
    2. Get proper nutrition
    3. Exercise
    4. Make Dua' to God that he make easy your task of memorizing.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Another thing I would like to point out for short term memorization is that if you find it very difficult to memorize anything then try this.

1. Read what you want to memorize three to five times by looking at it.

2. Repeat this throughout the day at least 5 times. Simply do it after every prayer

3. Continue to do this until it goes into your short term memorization.

A friend of mine had horrible memory and could not memorize Ayatul Kursi. He tried this method and was successful in memorizing the Ayah.

I used to read Manzil once before every prayer and ended up memorizing it without even trying.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post

The Prophet (PBUH) said:

This tradition has been recorded in both Tirmidi Shareef and Sunan Abi Dawood and has been classified as Sahih (authentic) by the late Muhaddith (Scholar of Hadith) Sheikh Al-albani.

The word Companion in this Hadith has been understood to mean a person who has memorized the Quran. As is evident by the following words of the Hadith "Recite and rise in status" that with each memorized Verse which a person recites, he will rise a rank in Paradise.

The Quran has more than 6000 Verses. Imagine how many ranks a person who has memorized the Quran will rise in Paradise. Not only this. Such a person will be in the company if the noble Angels as the Prophet (PBUH) has mentioned in the following authentic Tradition:

Additionally, just consider for a moment the joy of knowing that one has the Words of God, the all powerful and Supreme Ruler of all that exists, in his heart. The Words of a Being the likeness of whom does not exist. Truly, it is a feeling that cannot be described in words.
    Of course, Memorizing the Quran appears to be a daunting task. This is especially true if you do not know how to go about Memorizing such a large Book.[/SIZE]

My story

It took me 10 years to Memorize the Quran. This was because of lack of knowledge of proper memorizing technique. I used the technique used in Islamic Madrassas. Unfortunately, this technique did not suit a person like me who had horrible memory.

God has blessed me with a strong short term memory but my long term memory is the worst on the planet. After having memorized 20 Juz I fell ill due to a mental illness. After I recovered I had pretty much given up all hope of memorizing the Quran. However, God had ordained that I memorize it so I ended up doing so.

Nevertheless, after I memorized it I was faced with the problem of transferring what I had learned into my long term memory. It was then that God guided me to a technique which has been known to cognitive psychologists for a long time. A technique I used and am still using to transfer what I have memories into my long term memory and it has worked wonders.

Spaced Repetition

Spaced Repetition is a technique in which a person practices recalling what he has memorized at intervals of increasing time. Dong so transfers what one has memorized into long term memory. For those interested in reading about this phenomenon in detail I would recommend the following website.

Spaced Repetition Details

For those who do not have the time to understand this phenomenon just remember this. If you want to transfer information into long term you need to recall the information just when you are about to forget it. After each time you recall it the next interval required for recall the information in order to prevent forgetfulness increases. Eventually, a time comes when you only have to recall what you have memorized once a year! Quran memorization

At this point you are probably wondering how does one know when one is about to forget what he or she has memorized. Well, this is based on a formula which was devised by a Polish scientist after extensive research and experimentation. The formula is implemented by free software such as Anki. You can use this software to schedule when to remind you to recall what you have memorized from the Quran.

My Experience

Prior to using spaced repetition, it would take me fifteen to twenty minutes to review a page I had memorized. However, with the help of spaced repetition I was able to review a page within 3 to 5 minutes and a complete Juz within one to one and a half hour! And this was for a guy like me who has horrible memory. And the best part is that I felt no tension while reviewing.

Memorizing the Quran had become so easy!

This technique is often used by people who learn languages and need to memorize large lists of vocabulary. Psychologists are shocked that schools do not implement spaced repetition to teach information. They say not using this system despite the research which supports its effectiveness is like a person who has weak eyesight but refuses to wear glasses despite knowing that glasses can help him see properly!

Anki

Anki is a free program which you can use to memorize the Quran. It implements spaced repetition. It is available for free for both computers and android devices. Install it on your android phone and revise the Quran whenever you have free time anywhere!

Using Anki is simple. Once you have downloaded the software you just need to create flashcards for what you have memorized. How I do this is that I put a page of the Quran I have memorized into the Back of the Card and the page before that into the Front of the card. Then I enter the phrase "Recite the page which follows" in the Front of the card. Whenever, it is time to review the page, the program shows me the Front of the card and I see the "Review Next Page" command and I try to recall what I have memorized.

An Alternative Method

If you find using software difficult then you can implement spaced repletion manually for what you have memorized. Simply follow this formula. Whenever you memorize a portion of the Quran, review it 1 day after you have memorized it. Then review it after 3 days.

After that take the last interval which in this case is 3 days, divide it by 2, round it up, and then add the result to the previous interval to get the next interval. So in this case the next interval would be 5 days since 3 divided by 2 is 1.5. Round it up and you get 2. Add that to 3 and you get 5.

When you revise on the 5th day then to get the next interval divide 5 by 2 and you get 2.5. Round it up and you get 3. Add that to 5 and you have 8 days which is the next interval.

After eight days to get the next interval divide 8 by 2 and you get 4. Add 4 to 8 and you get 12 days which is the next interval.

Using this method you will Insha Allah never forget the Quran and you will feel no pressure when reviewing.

Note: In case you cannot completely recall what you have memorized don't hesitate to look at what you have missed. With time whatever you have memorized will become a part of long term memory and you will not forget anything!

For detailed instructions on how to use Anki here is the manual for the program
    . There are also other programs you can use for spaced repetition but I found this one to be the best. If you have any questions on how to use the program or spaced repetition simply ask in this thread and I will tyr to answer them!
    For all those who faced difficulties in memorization of Holy Quran should Try out House of quran .com they got Quran memorization tool they will help you.
    [url=http://alrazaak.com/threads/121-Listen-Holy-Quran-with-Urdu-Translation-Online-Free-Reading-Recitation-MP3]Quran Recitation[/url] | [url=http://alrazaak.com/forums/55-Quran-Forum-Dua-and-Cures-from-Quran]Quran[/url]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Akhi. When reviewing if i clicked 2-3 times on hard instead of Good is there any way to reverse that. Coz my due dates are not based on hard

I want to restudy the entire session for today if possible

I gave you a very basic breakdown of the formula. The actual formula using a few more parameters when calculating the date so don't worry!
    Last edited by nidaelahi; 11-11-13 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Akhi. When reviewing if i clicked 2-3 times on hard instead of Good is there any way to reverse that. Coz my due dates are not based on hard
    No I don't think you can reverse that. For that you would have to download SQLIte Database manager and then physically change the dates stored in the Database file the program uses to store information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ok well for now i select reschedule option and just put it back to 6days gap like the 1st card

No I don't think you can reverse that. For that you would have to download SQLIte Database manager and then physically change the dates stored in the Database file the program uses to store information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brother the software is giving weird due dates man.

Now i just reviewed 19 (2) on its 3rd day and selected good.. but now instead of 6days gap it gave gap of 4 days for next due date giving gaps of 1d,3d,4d from date of learning.
    wheres the same entries on card 18 (1) gave gaps of 1d,3d,6d,

I need to understand how to calculate due dates. Please help me with my schedule.
    Last edited by nidaelahi; 12-11-13 at 04:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I have a kid who 4 years old and my dream is he learned Quran with tajweed after this i want to memorize the Quran and i also want to when he recited the Quran before me his voice of recitation should be so beautiful according to the tajweed rules.
    Last edited by ammad2011; 27-03-15 at 05:05 AM. Reason: correct url

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ammad2011 View Post
    I have a kid who 4 years old and my dream is he learned Quran with tajweed after this i want to memorize the Quran and i also want to when he recited the Quran before me his voice of recitation should be so beautiful according to the tajweed rules.
    You can read about all the Rules of Tajweed here

Also make him listen to Qaris like Abdul Basit. A child picks up everything he listens. The more he listens at this young age, the better he will learn the rules of Tajweed.

And if you want him to have a beautiful voice then make Dua'. A good voice is a gift from Allah (SWT) and Allah (SWT) alone. You should get him to start memorizing as this is the best age to start. But be gentle with him and not like they are in Madrasas where they put kids in chains, beat them up, and break their bones.

You want him to grow up loving the Quran.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just Thought I'll post my progress. I have done a few of my cards with gaps of 1 day,3 days and 6 days and they are all still pretty fresh. I haven't had alot of difficulty reviewing... the maximum i took was approx 36 mins for half juz.. on 2nd attempt almost everytime half juz done within 20 mins.

here's my schedule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Assalaamualeikum,

Alhumdulillah . Alhumdulillah. Alhumdulillah.

Just read my first card after a gap for 8 days (Juz 14 first half).

And Subhan'Allah it was really smooth and required less effort.... 1st time within 30 mins and 2nd time within 15 mins. The same would usually take me an hour after such a gap. I hope all the others go like this

Jazak'Allah Khairan brother for this post. Its really benefiting me alot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Salam Alaikum,

Brother Nidaelahi can you give us an update on your use of anki and how it has improved your revison and/or reduced your revision time. I am also thinking about starting with anki but I don't know what would be the most effective way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Walykumussalaam wa Rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Well I have used the anki method but i calculated my dates of review my self rather than use the software. I used spaced duration of days for review i.e. 1day,3days,6days,8days, 12d , 18d and so on.

So far I have only reached a gap of 8 days and I certainly find it easier revising than before.. Though its still not as good as my Juz memorized a year ago. These new Juz have just been memorised few months back ... so now after giving a gap of 8 days ... i just need to revise half a juz once then on my 2nd time i can read it well within 20 minutes.

The best part of spaced repitition i found was... Whenever I added a new card and stuck to my time table... I realised i am reading this card at least 5 times with gaps within a span of 20 days... If i would use my old method i would have read it only once then waited for an entire cycle of 20 days for it to come back... I'm feeling much confident of the juz but it still needs work to be able to read without looking for first time.. I guess that just comes with practise. Now i am adding my easy juz as cards to ... coz i can feel the benefits ... in these juz i am adding a whole juz a day instead of just half Juz... coz i can read them within an hour. slowly ill give gaps of 1,3,6,8,12 and lets see how it goes then.

Eventually When i complete this spaced rep cycle i plan to review 3 Juz daily and repeat the tough ones twice .... for sometime... Then eventually increase to 4 of 5 maybe after 5-6 months Insha'Allah.

Here is a snapshot of my schedule that i made manually

Quote Originally Posted by aelmazg View Post
    Salam Alaikum,

Brother Nidaelahi can you give us an update on your use of anki and how it has improved your revison and/or reduced your revision time. I am also thinking about starting with anki but I don't know what would be the most effective way.
    Last edited by nidaelahi; 26-11-13 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for your reply brother even though I'm not sure I understood everything as I am not familiar with programs like anki. But it seems to be having a positive effect on your revision. What I don't understand is why you calculate the days of revision yourself instead of letting anki handle it for you? Doesn't this make the use of anki redundant?

Let's say that I would start using this system as well what would be the most effective by which I mean as less time as possible while remaining effective. I have memorized in the past the first half of the quran (baqarah - Isra) but due to work and family obligations I unfortunately neglected them and I have forgotten most of them. I started a few months ago revising from Isra and going up. Alhamdulillah so far I have been able to reach surah Alan'am. In order not to forget them I revise 1 juz a day while continuously adding my memorization for the day.

In the beginning the system was working really well but now it takes me almost a week to get through my revision cycle (1 juz a day) and by the time I have to read the same juz again, 1 week later, it takes me a lot of time to correct the mistakes. While in the beginning when there were only a few days between the revisions it was stronger. Based on this I deduced that it was not yet in my long term memory.

So what I wanted to do with anki is memorize them again, 2 pages a day while adding them to anki with a 150% repetition factor and 6 pages of revision a day. Obviously while maintaining my memorization schedule of Maidah-Baqarah and my 1 juz revision Schedule.

I would really appreciate your input and of the original poster who seems to know a lot about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The reason why i didnt use anki for dates was because sometimes it would be give gap of 3 days sometimes 4 sometimes sometimes 5,6 even though i selected good all the time... I wanted a fixed schedule so i could add half juz daily.....but you can definitely use the program ... The repitition factor is something i dont really understand that well so you can ask the original poster...

You can definitely try adding 2 pages a day and just follow the program for review...and maybe set a limit for maximum reviews a day based on what you think you can do. I prefer calculating days myself coz the pattern is consistent that way as you can see in my schedule.

Thanks for your reply brother even though I'm not sure I understood everything as I am not familiar with programs like anki. But it seems to be having a positive effect on your revision. What I don't understand is why you calculate the days of revision yourself instead of letting anki handle it for you? Doesn't this make the use of anki redundant?

Let's say that I would start using this system as well what would be the most effective by which I mean as less time as possible while remaining effective. I have memorized in the past the first half of the quran (baqarah - Isra) but due to work and family obligations I unfortunately neglected them and I have forgotten most of them. I started a few months ago revising from Isra and going up. Alhamdulillah so far I have been able to reach surah Alan'am. In order not to forget them I revise 1 juz a day while continuously adding my memorization for the day.

In the beginning the system was working really well but now it takes me almost a week to get through my revision cycle (1 juz a day) and by the time I have to read the same juz again, 1 week later, it takes me a lot of time to correct the mistakes. While in the beginning when there were only a few days between the revisions it was stronger. Based on this I deduced that it was not yet in my long term memory.

So what I wanted to do with anki is memorize them again, 2 pages a day while adding them to anki with a 150% repetition factor and 6 pages of revision a day. Obviously while maintaining my memorization schedule of Maidah-Baqarah and my 1 juz revision Schedule.

I would really appreciate your input and of the original poster who seems to know a lot about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If the program gives random revision dates I can understand why you would choose to calculate the dates yourself. This is really annoying because I thought the advantage of using anki would be to get consistent days of revision based on how well I recited the part that needed reviewing. Maybe Anki uses the time spent reviewing in its algorithm to determine when the next review will be, but for that it should have a control value which I don't think is possible.

My knowledge of anki is very limited as I have not used it yet. But I really want to use anki so that I only review what is weak as I for the moment plan to maintaint my 1 juz a day of global revision. I don't trust anki yet to give it full control over my revision but I'm hoping that it will be possible in the future inshAllah.

Anyway I'd love to hear what you think about it Zeeshanparvez or anyone else for that matter. All insights are welcome...

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

If the program gives random revision dates I can understand why you would choose to calculate the dates yourself. This is really annoying because I thought the advantage of using anki would be to get consistent days of revision based on how well I recited the part that needed reviewing. Maybe Anki uses the time spent reviewing in its algorithm to determine when the next review will be, but for that it should have a control value which I don't think is possible.

My knowledge of anki is very limited as I have not used it yet. But I really want to use anki so that I only review what is weak as I for the moment plan to maintaint my 1 juz a day of global revision. I don't trust anki yet to give it full control over my revision but I'm hoping that it will be possible in the future inshAllah.

Anyway I'd love to hear what you think about it Zeeshanparvez or anyone else for that matter. All insights are welcome...
    For some reason Ummah.com takes ages to load on my Internet Connection so I am unfortunately not able to answer questions with the speed I used to.

It is understandable that you do not want to give Anki the full control of your revision schedule. The reason for the varying dates is because the formula it uses is as follows

EF':=EF+(0.1-(5-q)*(0.08+(5-q)*0.02))

where:
    EF' - new value of the E-Factor,
    EF - old value of the E-Factor,
    q - quality of the response in the 0-5 grade scale.
    If EF is less than 1.3 then let EF be 1.3.

So if you plug in the values you will see that the dates it gives is in accordance with the formula. If you want to set up a normal spaced revision schedule the easiest way is to simply take the last interval and divide it by 2 and add it to the previous interval. So if you revised 3 days ago. Divide 3 by 2 and you will get 1.5. Round it up to 2 and add to 3 which will give you 5. Now revise after 5 days.

As for taking longer to review this happens if the page you memorized was not very strong in the beginning. There will be times when some pages become very weak and you will have to start reviewing them from the beginning. However, once the weak page goes through the cycle again it will become strong in memory. If you find the above formula to be spacing things to long then you could try this.

Revise after 1 day. Then give 2 days break and revise. Then after 3 days break and revise. Then after 4 days break and revise and so on. The only catch is that when you shorten the interval duration you increase the work load. However, sometimes you have to do that if you are noticing that you are forgetting when it becomes spaced to long. That is why I have set the easy factor of Anki to 110% and always press hard on any page. I have seen that this way the pages are repeated at intervals which allow me to remember them even after a month.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Yes, and you are right it does use the time you take and I forget to mention that you need to change this to prevent interference in the formula. I forget to mention this in the original post. Here is how you can change the time interval.

1. Open up Anki
    2. Click on the DecK
    3. Click on "Options"
    4. From the "Options" group chose the deck you want to change the time for
    5. Then Click the "General Tab"
    6. Change the value in the "Ignore Answers longer than" to 1000 seconds.
    7. Again change the deck from the Options Group if you have more than one deck and change this "Ignore Answers longer than" option to 1000 seconds

This should solve the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks your reply ZeeshanParvez. I am amazed by your knowledge of Anki, MashaAllah. I don't have the time to analyse the post but I'll get back to you tomorrow inchAllah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok so I've taken the time to read your posts several times to understand them and I think I get it now.

I'll give Anki a try this weekend inchAllah because I need to create the necessary images to input them into anki. I want to use a Madani print mushaf with tajweed colors because that's what iI'm familiar with. My goal is to study again what I've memorized, 2 pages a day with 6 pages revision a day. I don't think I'll change the "ignore answers longer than" because if it takes me longer to review a page then that means I don't know it well enough and I want it to show up faster rather than later in in the future. Besides I couldn't find the option anyway, maybe we have different versions of anki.

My ultimate goal is to be able to rely only on Anki for revision as it will know what to review and when but it will be long before I can achieve that. So anyway I'll post my settings this weekend inchAllah so I can get your final input before embarking on this journey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brother Zeeshan WIth 110% and hard setting wouldn't it give you too much too revise on any day or do you have a maximum review setting.

Also can anyone provide Madani Color Coded Mushaf in Pdf.

I have made a dummy deck with 150% setting and will put 1 juz daily and select good to see how it calculates.

For some reason Ummah.com takes ages to load on my Internet Connection so I am unfortunately not able to answer questions with the speed I used to.

It is understandable that you do not want to give Anki the full control of your revision schedule. The reason for the varying dates is because the formula it uses is as follows

EF':=EF+(0.1-(5-q)*(0.08+(5-q)*0.02))

where:
    EF' - new value of the E-Factor,
    EF - old value of the E-Factor,
    q - quality of the response in the 0-5 grade scale.
    If EF is less than 1.3 then let EF be 1.3.

So if you plug in the values you will see that the dates it gives is in accordance with the formula. If you want to set up a normal spaced revision schedule the easiest way is to simply take the last interval and divide it by 2 and add it to the previous interval. So if you revised 3 days ago. Divide 3 by 2 and you will get 1.5. Round it up to 2 and add to 3 which will give you 5. Now revise after 5 days.

As for taking longer to review this happens if the page you memorized was not very strong in the beginning. There will be times when some pages become very weak and you will have to start reviewing them from the beginning. However, once the weak page goes through the cycle again it will become strong in memory. If you find the above formula to be spacing things to long then you could try this.

Revise after 1 day. Then give 2 days break and revise. Then after 3 days break and revise. Then after 4 days break and revise and so on. The only catch is that when you shorten the interval duration you increase the work load. However, sometimes you have to do that if you are noticing that you are forgetting when it becomes spaced to long. That is why I have set the easy factor of Anki to 110% and always press hard on any page. I have seen that this way the pages are repeated at intervals which allow me to remember them even after a month.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Brother Zeeshan WIth 110% and hard setting wouldn't it give you too much too revise on any day or do you have a maximum review setting.

I have made a dummy deck with 150% setting and will put 1 juz daily and select good to see how it calculates.
    For some reason either Ummah.com does not like my country or vice versa. My Internet connection just won't let me access this site properly. Finally, had to use a proxy to get past this horrible situation. Hopefully will be able to respond to questions properly now.

Yes, that would give you more revisions but if you have weak memory like me then you will need to do that. 150% is also good. You can see how it goes if you grade good. But if you think you are forgetting then try grading Hard.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Ok so I've taken the time to read your posts several times to understand them and I think I get it now.

I'll give Anki a try this weekend inchAllah because I need to create the necessary images to input them into anki. I want to use a Madani print mushaf with tajweed colors because that's what iI'm familiar with. My goal is to study again what I've memorized, 2 pages a day with 6 pages revision a day. I don't think I'll change the "ignore answers longer than" because if it takes me longer to review a page then that means I don't know it well enough and I want it to show up faster rather than later in in the future. Besides I couldn't find the option anyway, maybe we have different versions of anki.

My ultimate goal is to be able to rely only on Anki for revision as it will know what to review and when but it will be long before I can achieve that. So anyway I'll post my settings this weekend inchAllah so I can get your final input before embarking on this journey.

Good to hear. But do try to find the time option as that could affect your scheduling. And if you cannot find it then you will have to move away from the revision screen when revising because if the ignore time is set to 10 seconds and you take 2 minutes to revise the page, the program will think you did not answer the question correctly and will not schedule it for the future.

Do check out the links I posted below for the other user regarding the color coded Quran. Maybe it is what you are looking for.
    Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 28-11-13 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but here is one

South Asian Color-Coded Quran

The Quran is in PDF format. If you want it in JPG picture format then you can use the following program to convert the PDF to JPG.

Free PDF to JPG
    Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 28-11-13 at 05:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have looked everywhere for a page by page Madani color Mushaf but without success. I did find the compete Mushaf in pdf so I 'll edit it into pages. Assuming we 're looking for the same thing you can find it on the link below.

http://fr.assabile.com/quran/telecha...-coran-pdf.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good to hear. But do try to find the time option as that could affect your scheduling. And if you cannot find it then you will have to move away from the revision screen when revising because if the ignore time is set to 10 seconds and you take 2 minutes to revise the page, the program will think you did not answer the question correctly and will not schedule it for the future.

Do check out the links I posted below for the other user regarding the color coded Quran. Maybe it is what you are looking for.
    Could the time option be called in my version: "Maximal answer time" ? It's set to 60 seconds by default. I don't know what effect it can have.

Thanks for the links provided but I'm not looking for the South asian print.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I only found the complete Madani color mushaf. You can edit it in parts according to your needs. Check the link below:
    fr.assabile.com/quran/telecharger-le-coran-pdf.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I only found the complete Madani color mushaf. You can edit it in parts according to your needs. I can't post the link for the Mushaf but you can type in Google "coran moulawane" and select the first result where you'll be able to download it in pdf format. This of course assuming were talking about the same thing...

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Could the time option be called in my version: "Maximal answer time" ? It's set to 60 seconds by default. I don't know what effect it can have.

Thanks for the links provided but I'm not looking for the South asian print.
    Yeah that would be the same thing. Put in a high number like 1000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Subhanallah Alhamdulillah Allahuakber Ya Ummat Muhammad!

I've been using Anki to learn Arabic for about a year now and alhamdulillah I've learned over 5,000 words using the software. The Spaced Repetition Algorithm seemed perfect to review my Hifdh with but when I did the Google Search to see how many others Brothers there were out there who had the idea I did not find anyone with the interest of using the SRA for Quran. Without having someone to discuss the idea with, I dropped the idea and went back to my Hifdh struggle of reviewing.

Today I decided to do a google search for "Spaced Repetition Quran" once more after almost a year and this is the thread that I find.

I am so happy to see the Brothers and Sisters (Tech-Savy ones) too so that we can all come together and discuss. May Allah reward us all and raise us together on Yomul-Qiyamah as those who strived to preserve the Quran in our time. Alhamdulillah we have adapted to using our tools (technology) to enhance our remembering.

With that being said, this is what I've set up in the past few hours with Anki and the system I hope will work insha'allah.

I've Downloaded Quran JPEG images of every Quran Page. As I start reviewing I'm going to create a card, the front of which will be the "lead in" page (aka the page before the page I want to review) and the back of the card will be the "page to be reviewed".

My graduating interval is 1 day, easy interval is 3 days and my starting ease is 250%. I am not sure how these settings will work but I will give the system a try over the coming week and adjust as needed.

I find that each card representing one page is the easiest to manage because the longer Suwar that are multiple Ajzaa long can be difficult to reviewing in just one day on one card. If you guys have any suggestions if having one side of the card be a "lead in page" and the other side be the "review page" is a good idea or if there is a better system, let me know!

@nidaelahi: Masha'allah I have looked at your review schedule that you made through Google Docs, to someone not understanding what's going on it looks like rocket science! lol. My only question is that I see you are reviewing a whole surah everyday instead of page by page, is this correct? I would find that very difficult to maintain.

Jazakallahukhair to all of you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am adding Half Juz per day not a surah. For example 12 (1) means 1st half of Juz 12, 12 (2) 2nd half of Juz 12 and so on.

NM New Memorization
    OM Old Memorization
    (1) 1st Half of Juz
    (2) 2nd Half of Juz

Your lead in page is definitely a good idea .. go ahead with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brother Yasin Arsha can you please share your deck with which you learnt 5000 words of Arabic?

Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2709 Post(s)

Brother Yasir personally I think 250% is a little to much for a page, but if you have good memory then that might work out well. And thanks for explaining the lead page. That is what I do but I didn't know how to explain it! Wish you the best of luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps you are right Zeeshan, 250% may be too much, I have set it now to 150%.

Nidaelahi, you have been using a 150% interval right? How is that working out for you? I rather have some tips from experienced users because it will take another week or running the algorithm to find out my own results.

Also, I have found that instead of playing with only the Starting ease percentage (that controls the interval for new cards) in the reviewing tab in options there is a "interval modifier" that can also be adjusted as a percentage of the original algorithm, I have not adjusted it yet but may in the future.

Jazakallahukhair,

Jazakallahukhair,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For the Arabic words, I created all of the Arabic words that I learned from my Arabic textbook "Arabiyyatu Bayna Yaddayk", its been mentioned before that Anki is a RETENTION algorithm and not a LEARNING algorithm. Uploading 5000 cards into anki and then trying to memorize and retain them is going to be more frustrating than anything. For Arabic, what helped me was that I learned the word in the textbook, I learned how to use the arabic vocabulary word THEN I put it into Anki in order to help retain it.

Similar to how we are doing for Hifdh, we memorize the pages and THEN we put it into Anki, we don't put notecards for pages we haven't memorized yet otherwise it would be very frustrating and we would just keep hitting "again". So although I can upload the notecards no problem, I really don't think that they would be beneficial to you. If you would like to learn Arabic Vocabulary, I recommend purchasing the book Arabic Between your hands (Arabiyyatu Bayna Yaddayk) from Amazon, and there is a brother on Youtube who explains the book word by word, just type in the title of the book on youtube, or find a shaykh or teacher who can teach you. Much better than notecards/anki!

Hope that is helpful. Jazakallahukhair.